Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ (22256 Views)

Throwback Video Of Lateef Jakande On Queue To Cast His Vote In July 1979 / Burial Photos Of Lateef Jakande (First Civilian Governor Of Lagos Buried) / Lateef Jakande Is Dead (First Civilian Governor Of Lagos Dies) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by iwaeda: 2:21pm On Feb 12, 2021
Neyomickey1:

In as much I concur with the aforementioned listed of achievement of Igbomina/Omu Aran/Kwara people in Lagos, you technically didn’t mention the contribution of Ganiyu Oyedepo alias Koko Zaria ( a popular NURTW member in Lagos).� �

Lai Mohammed is from Oro, Ile Balogun in Kwara State, Pasuma, Masomo (Yinka Quadri), Balogun, Revd Joe Olaiya, Bishop David Oyedepo, Revd Moses Aransiola, My own father, uncle to mention a few.

1 Like

Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by alfredilly: 2:43pm On Feb 12, 2021
Tectono:
How come Jakande did all these things and was not allowed to go for second term? Click on the first link on my signature to master how you will be making millions of naira from export business.
He definitely won a second term, like Adekunle Ajasin of Ondo state but likely rigged by the ruling NPN of Shagari before getting his mandate back through court. At least that was the case in Ondo with Adekunle Ajasin. They were all members of Awo UPN and there performance were unmatched. The corruption of ruling NPN brought the military coup that truncate the regime.

1 Like

Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by fregeneh(m): 2:49pm On Feb 12, 2021
Baba jakande was very great man his manhood will lives forever
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by alfredilly: 3:04pm On Feb 12, 2021
iwaeda:

Awa Kwara are proud of our achievements in Lagos. Go to Isale Agbede, Surulere, Yaba, Oyingbo our trade mark of being industrious are stamped everywhere. Educationally we are there, check our students in Unilag and LASU. We are not thugs or destroyers. Proudly Igbomina, reason we are celebrating Baba Oni Jakande lati Omu Aran, Igbomina.

Elsewhere, Kwaran are dagi dagi yam farmers and Kwara state education is nothing to write home about.
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by iwaeda: 3:33pm On Feb 12, 2021
alfredilly:

Elsewhere, Kwaran are dagi dagi yam farmers and Kwara state education is nothing to write home about.

Not Kwara South and Central (Ilorin), forget all you read in the press. Eminents people full Kwara.
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by sulaak(m): 3:45pm On Feb 12, 2021
post=98989916:

From a Reliable source : Lagos State University (LASU) will soon be renamed Lateef Jakande University (LJU).

You heard it from dem MANNA first!

We only wonder why it has to be after his death that they are doing this.

From all of us @[/b] : RIP SIR.

[b]He was a great man.
He lived a Good life.
His legacy lives on.

Leave Lagos State University alone and build a new university called Lateef Jakande University. Why do we always name institutions after flawed historical figures? Jakande was in Abacha government for 5 years!

The unintended consequence of the Lagos free education programme destroyed the quality of education in Lagos state.
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by olawooro: 4:00pm On Feb 12, 2021
paulolee:
wow....nice history for a friday...remember this street in Lagos back then wey i dey trek under hot sun just to see my bea back then staying in jakande..
after all d trekking and visit, she left me saying m too broke n she cnt date me bcox she doesn want to suffer..
years letter, she's now happily married to a man dt works in FIRS n even have 4 kids and me am still broke..
'Then I turn back, and I see that race is not of the swift, nor battle is of the strong, nor rich is of the wise. But chance and time happen to them all.'
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by paulolee(m): 4:09pm On Feb 12, 2021
olawooro:
'Then I turn back, and I see that race is not of the swift, nor battle is of the strong, nor rich is of the wise. But chance and time happen to them all.'
sure
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by Alba3: 4:11pm On Feb 12, 2021
sulaak:

Leave Lagos State University alone and build a new university called Lateef Jakande University. Why do we always name institutions after flawed historical figures? Jakande was in Abacha government for 5 years!

The unintended consequence of the Lagos free education programme destroyed the quality of education in Lagos state.

Nothing bad if a school established during his tenure is named after him. His colleagues that also established universities during their tenures already have the schools name after them... Ambrose Ali University, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Adekunle Ajasin University...
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by Ayobami7(m): 4:19pm On Feb 12, 2021
Rip
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by danilmo: 4:32pm On Feb 12, 2021
theoplus21:
lets wait and see tinubu achievements when he dies

Dont be silly sentimentally.. Jakande tried but don't compare him to Tinubu, Or why do u think Lagos respect Tinubu politically??

we are only angry that Tinubu brought PMB, doesn't mean we undermine Him... Tinubu na starboy of Modern Lagos biko..

Politically too Tinubu fought a lot of battle than Jakande, don't let us talk of great politician that has emerged from Tinubu dynasty....

Today is not a day to celebrate Tinubu, and we will keep knocking his head for PMB sins until the tenure elapse, that d sacrifice he's paying..

Shalom.
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by lekki1444: 5:28pm On Feb 12, 2021
Sleekfingers:

that child is from abia state....if that person know his or her onions , he or she can contest for any polical post in abia state....that what the law says.......they might say he is not an indegine...but he is from that state.....

Any igbo born here in lagos can contest for governor ....and i will vote for him/her if he is capable.....
listen i dnt even know what fantasy world you are living in. even an igbo man from abia will never be allowed to contest for governorship in anambra state even if he is born there. talk less of an afonja man. bro please stop deceiving people with this nonsense. why dont an igbo man born in kaduna go and contest for governorship of kaduna if they will not kill him . please stop deceiving people with these dangerous rhetoric. some gullible people may read this your post and try to put it into practice and end up losing their lives. this is dangerous rhetoric you are propagating
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by Sleekfingers: 6:41pm On Feb 12, 2021
lekki1444:
listen i dnt even know what fantasy world you are living in. even an igbo man from abia will never be allowed to contest for governorship in anambra state even if he is born there. talk less of an afonja man. bro please stop deceiving people with this nonsense. why dont an igbo man born in kaduna go and contest for governorship of kaduna if they will not kill him . please stop deceiving people with these dangerous rhetoric. some gullible people may read this your post and try to put it into practice and end up losing their lives. this is dangerous rhetoric you are propagating

oga go and read nigeria constitution abeg......

Nigerians need to grow up.....and stop all these indegine thrash......u said, they will kill him/her all because he/she contest for a political post......how does that sound to you? Can a sane person reason the way u are reasoning?

Yes, the indegines got a better chance...due to the archaic ways most nigerians reason......but that does not stop him/her from contesting.....
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by lekki1444: 6:52pm On Feb 12, 2021
Sleekfingers:

oga go and read nigeria constitution abeg......

Nigerians need to grow up.....and stop all these indegine thrash......u said, they will kill him/her all because he/she contest for a political post......how does that sound to you? Can a sane person reason the way u are reasoning?

Yes, the indegines got a better chance...due to the archaic ways most nigerians reason......but that does not stop him/her from contesting.....
bro the people make the country not the constitution. you cant use the constitution to override peoples cultures. and i repeat no igbo man will allow you to contest for any post in his land if you are not igbo. it matters not if you are born there. no constitution will make him change his mind. thats the real world. bros abeg leave matter. you are operating in fantasy land with your thinking. dont go and get yourself killed with this your crazy thinking lol. go follow igbo man drag governorship for his state when you are an afonja because you are born in the state ? they will just see your dead body in the gutter the next day. PLEASE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY STOP THIS YOUR FANTASY THHINKING
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by Sleekfingers: 6:59pm On Feb 12, 2021
lekki1444:
bro the people make the country not the constitution. you cant use the constitution to override peoples cultures. and i repeat no igbo man will allow you to contest for any post in his land if you are not igbo. it matters not if you are born there. no constitution will make him change his mind. thats the real world. bros abeg leave matter. you are operating in fantasy land with your thinking. dont go and get yourself killed with this your crazy thinking lol. go follow igbo man drag governorship for his state when you are an afonja because you are born in the state ? they will just see your dead body in the gutter the next day. PLEASE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY STOP THIS YOUR FANTASY THHINKING

i dont know what u are talking about
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by lekki1444: 7:21pm On Feb 12, 2021
Sleekfingers:

i dont know what u are talking about
of course you dont. obviously
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by Holluwabismarck(m): 10:14pm On Feb 12, 2021
R.I.P baba...your legacy lives on.
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by calcal: 2:30am On Feb 13, 2021
iwaeda:

Source: Wiki
https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/10-quick-facts-about-lateef-kayode-jakande/%3famp=1

*BABA LATEEF JAKANDE*
*This is What They Call Legacy Projects.*

*Lagos 1979- 1983*

*Alhaji Lateef Kayode Jakande was born in the Epetedo area of Lagos State 29 July 1929 Both parents are from Omun Aran Kwara.*

*He was the govenor of Lagos State for 4years and 3 months before the Military Government led by Buhari treasonous act truncated the civilian administration.*

*In just 4 year and 3 months.*

*His government built the current Lagos State Secretariat which houses all the state ministries as well as the popular round house hitherto occupied by all subsequent governors of the state.*

*His government built the Lagos State House of Assembly complex.*

*His government built the Lagos State Television*

*His government built the Radio Lagos*

*His government built Lagos State University*

*His government established General Hospital in zones all over the state with assurance of free health care.*

*His government established Teacher Training College and the College of Education.*

*His government built low cost houses in Ijaiye, Dolphin, Oke-Afa, Ije, Abesan, Iponri, Ipaja, Abule Nla, Epe, Amuwo-Odofin, Anikantamo, Surulere, Iba, Ikorodu, Badagry, Isheri/Olowu, Orisigun etc.*

*His government established the Water Management Board and Waste Disposal Board on the 18th of August, 1980.*

*His government constructed the Adiyan Water Works to increase water supply in the state to 18.16 million litres per day.*

*His government modernized and expanded the Iju Water Works which was first commissioned in 1915. This increased daily capacity from 159 million to 204 million litres per day.*

*His government purchased and commissioned the giant car crusher equipment. The equipment was designed specifically to crush derelict vehicles in Lagos State. It had the capacity to crush 45 vehicles per day.*

*His government constructed, rehabilitated and resurfaced Epe/Ijebu-Ode Road, Oba Akran Avenue, Toyin Street, Town Planning Way, Alimosho-Idimu-Egbe Road, Idimu-Iba-LASU Road, the new secretariat road and several others.*

*His government constructed Victoria Island/Epe Road and thereby creating an ‘oil rig’ for Lagos State.*

*His government established Asphalt Plant for the Department of Public Works.*

*His government established Electricity Board for Rural Electrification with provision of street lights.*

*His government modernized, expanded and commissioned Onikan Stadium in 1982.*

*His government established a singular school system and ensured genuine free education in Lagos State and the beneficiaries of this policy are in different positions of eminence in the country and around the world.*

*His government raised the primary schools in Lagos State to 812 with 533,001 pupils (against 605 primary schools with 434,545 pupils he met in 1979) and secondary schools to 223 with 167,629 students (against 105 schools with 107,835 students in 1979).*

*His government constructed 11, 729 classrooms with the maximum of 40 children per class between March and August 1980, by 1983, he had constructed over 22,000 classrooms.*

*In July 1983, two commercial passenger boats christened "Baba Kekere and Itafaji" to run the Mile 2 - Marina (CMS) route via the lagoons were inaugurated by his government to mark the official launch of the Lagos State ferry services.*

*His government took over the ownership and financing of Lagos State Printing Corporation in July 1980.*

*His government established the first State Traffic Management Authority (Road Marshals).*

*His government established small scale Industries Credit Scheme which preceded the EKO bank.*

*His government established LASACO Insurance.*

*His government expanded existing market and built new ones.*

*His government established Traditional Medicine Board.*

*All, within 4 years and 3 months, with limited resources, these are the type of people I celebate.*

And Tinubu destroyed all these achievements, turns most of the girls to olosho, even at 50 some the now mama are still in the business of ashawo
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by EagleNest(m): 8:33am On Feb 13, 2021
Within 4 years he did a miracle in Lagos. Think about it and let it sink for a while. Now compare and contrast with those thieves in government House of today, and you'll have a clue about our national problem.
Re: Lateef Jakande: 10 Facts About Lagos State’s Iconic Former ‘Action Governor’ by Dijita: 8:33am On Feb 15, 2021
lekki1444:
and how is that an achievement ?thats the thing with the blackman, the only thing he considers an achievement is what he gets for free. do yu know the state of all the university halls of residence in all these universities because theyy were free ? its like where pigs live. you need money to maintain and upgrade things.

I didn't blame you for your comment. Your experience dictates your comment. base on your comment it is reasonable to assumed that you are not of age during Jakande administration. You assumed because it was free it is not of good quality.

The quality of education then was far superior to what Nigerian students are getting from the so call private university in Nigeria today.
There is nothing wrong in well funded quality free education. Germany is not a black man country and they have free education up to PHD level.
To answer your question what makes it an achievement is the fact that he build and funded free quality education far superior to the one we currently have today both private and public

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

80 Boko Haram Men Join ISIS In Libya ,niger ( Pic) / Femi Falana Joins BBOG Sit Out (Photos) / Buhari Seeks National Assembly’s Approval To Borrow Fresh $4bn, €710m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.