Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,168 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market (1567 Views)

Ahmad Lawan Blames South-West Governors For Killings In Shasha Market, Ibarapa / How The Hausa/Yoruba Clash In Shasha Market, Ibadan Started - Eyewitness (Video) / EndSARS: What Lekki Looks Like This Morning, Properties Destroyed (Video, Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by cocolacec(m): 4:54pm On Feb 14, 2021
It’s been three days that a vicious fight broke out between the Hausa and Yoruba residents of Shasha community in Akinyele Local Government Area of Oyo State, but the indigenes of the area are yet to get over the shock and painful losses of their loved ones as well as properties and structures destroyed in the tribal clash.

When Sunday Tribune visited the town and market scenes on Saturday, there were indications that the ferocious feud is yet to subside despite heavy security presence spread across many checkpoints in different parts of the community.

Surprisingly, the presence of the security operatives didn’t frighten the Shasha residents as some of them were seen sitting in groups under different wooden shades with knives, cudgels, cutlasses, broken bottles and harmful steel objects; while the rest of them stood by the roadsides with harmful weapons. One word that resonated spiritedly on their lips was revenge. And the reasons were not far-fetched.

Our houses, properties and structures which we toiled for years to build have all gone. Even my family house at Ajah quarters was razed down. The Hausas destroyed all our shops, kiosks, cars and over seven trucks in the market fire. They even burnt one popular pharmacy owned by Dr. Munirudeen, a popular medical doctor in our area. This was after they had smashed the windscreens of his Honda sport car and Hylanda Jeep on Friday. The man said he couldn’t pick a pen out of the pharmacy because its entire goods were burnt down. Is this fair?” One of the leaders of the angry Yoruba youths who identified himself as Tajudeen Alao, lamented to Sunday Tribune.

[b]He said the entire uproar was triggered by altercations which ensued between one Hausa trader and a pregnant Yoruba woman who unfortunately couldn’t survive the blow meted out on her by the Northerner.

“The whole incidence started on Thursday when one Hausa trader conveying a basket of Tomatoes mistakenly splashed some water from the Tomatoes basket on a pregnant woman that was sitting along the road inside the Shasha market. Apparently displeased by the man’s action, the pregnant woman complained. But instead of begging the woman, the Hausa man slapped her. And a fight ensued. As they were fighting, the Hausa man pushed the pregnant woman and she fell on the ground looking unconscious. Immediately, she was rushed to the hospital.

As people were trying to revive the woman where she fell, one shoemaker, Adeola Samsudeen, then engaged the Hausa man in a fight. But the Hausa trader hit him with a supposed spiritual ring and he fell down immediately. We then rushed him too to the nearby hospital. But he and the pregnant woman couldn’t survive it as they both gave up the ghost at the hospital on Friday morning,” Alao explained[/b]

He said it was the deaths of the two people that triggered the spirit of vengeance in the Yorubas which forced them to engage the Hausas who already have started razing some of the shops at the market on that Friday.

“But not quite long on that Friday morning, the soldiers came and we begged them to stop the angry Hausas from razing more of our properties, but the soldiers said the order they got from the Seriki was to come and maintain order and not hold the Hausas even when our properties were being burnt as at the time they arrived.

We even attempted to face the Hausas and stop them from wrecking more damages, but the soldiers prevented us. Many of our people lost their lives. Even two persons were macheted to death. We saw their corpses this morning when we were combing the area for the Hausas in retaliation,” he added.

“Meanwhile, after the fight had subsided a bit on Friday, one of the Shasha market leaders, Ismaila Mekudi popularly known as Baba Fatimo, led the Hausa fighters to the Shasha garage to start razing the shops. But by the time, we came back to the Shasha neighbourhood this (Saturday) morning; we saw that they had burnt more structures, most of which are residential buildings. Is this fair? In fact, some of the Yoruba police officers were angry, but the soldiers insisted that none of them and us must go to where the Hausas camped.

Now, as we speak, the soldiers are using trucks to rescue the Hausas out of their camp in a bid to prevent us from taking revenge. We heard reports that we fought the Hausas and killed some of them. But this isn’t true because the soldiers did not even allow us to touch the Hausas, let alone destroy their properties. But they have razed down our houses and displaced many of our residents. And no one is saying anything on it.

Another resident in the area who spoke on the condition of anonymity said: “The number of houses destroyed is countless. Though the police and Amotekun officers were on ground, they couldn’t fight on our behalf due to the presence of the soldiers that had come and surrounded the Hausas residences. Some of the Shasha market women are yet to get over the shock of the incident because many of them lost their money, goods worth millions in the incidence.

“They couldn’t even pick up a dim out of the shops before they were all flamed up. The soldiers surrounded Hausa’s Seriki’s house and left our own Baale’s residence. As we speak now, his former house has been burnt. Yet, the soldiers kept preventing us from defending our land. We even heard that the fight has subsided. But that is not true because we won’t rest until we take revenge.

Even this (Saturday) morning, the Hausas invited their brothers from Mokola and Akinyele and they jointly faced us. But what pained us, the Yoruba youths, mostly was that the soldiers, instead of suing for peace and restoring order, just rescued and whisked away the Hausa residents after the Northerners had burnt most of our properties,” he added.

One of the traders whose goods were burnt at the Shasha market, Seun Joseph said: “Gold, clothes, money, foodstuffs worth over ten million naira are what I lost to the Shasha market incident. I also sell beers, drinks, wines and I have three fridges. But they are all gone now as my shop was burnt down.

I lost everything and couldn’t even pick a pin out of the shop. The cloth you are seeing on me right now was what I wore to the market yesterday. Since I fled the scene yesterday in the heat of the skirmishes, I am yet to return there. I learnt that the Hausas even attacked people in their homes, especially the old women who couldn’t walk and run like we, the young adults.

As we speak now, most of my fellow market women have deserted the area and fled. As you can see too, my friend and I are on the verge of leaving this premise because the turbulence is gaining strength by the day. Many people packed out of their homes yesterday and ran away. Even as we speak, some are still packing out while some houses are still on fire.

I would have given you the number of one of our Yoruba leaders in the market, but he had lost his phone in the fight. As you can see, everywhere is deserted. We heard that it was only two people that died in the fight. But that is not true because we can’t even count the number of dead bodies we saw at the market yesterday.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tribuneonlineng.com/how-pregnant-woman-three-others-died-properties-destroyed-at-shasha-market/amp/

Mynd44
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by osemoses1234(m): 5:05pm On Feb 14, 2021
Hh
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by dmz1: 5:11pm On Feb 14, 2021
na wao oo !!! if this is true.

one of my problem with the sw is that they are so easily pacified, they so easily forget.

How can one be reading such a painful tale.

Look at the army taking orders from the seriki.

why can't we break up this country at least for the sake of our mental health?

4 Likes

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Bluntguy: 5:12pm On Feb 14, 2021
This is too long. My eyes are paining me.
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by yesloaded: 5:16pm On Feb 14, 2021
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by debbydams(f): 5:31pm On Feb 14, 2021
Hummm..lord pls heal our land cry
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by GOVERNMENT2: 5:38pm On Feb 14, 2021
YORUBAS RUNNING AWAY FROM THEIR ANCESTRAL LAND shocked

GODBLESS NNAMDI KANU PLEASE embarassed

8 Likes

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by nairalander2020(m): 5:41pm On Feb 14, 2021
this hausa people do the even have love?
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by GOVERNMENT2: 5:41pm On Feb 14, 2021
debbydams:
Hummm..lord pls heal our land cry
DID YOU READ THE PART WHERE THE NARRATOR SAID THAT YORUBAS ARE PACKING OUT OF THEIR ANCESTRAL LAND undecided. THIS IS A SACRILEGE!

TUFIAKWA angry

LEGENDHERO THATFAIRGUY THATFAIRGUY1 SEUNSMG SEUNLAYI OAUTEMITAYO SHEBI NA NNAMDI KANU AND ESN WEY WAN PROTECT THEIR ANCESTRAL LAND BE UNA PROBLEM

2 Likes

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Kaduna1stson: 5:41pm On Feb 14, 2021
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Kaduna1stson: 5:42pm On Feb 14, 2021
dmz1:

one of my problem with the sw is that they are so easily pacified, they so easily forget.

why can't we break up this country at least for the she of our mental health?

One Nigeria!

3 Likes

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by GOVERNMENT2: 5:46pm On Feb 14, 2021
Kaduna1stson:

One Nigeria!
LEGENDHERO AND SEUNSMG ARE VIEWING THIS THREAD AS GUEST grin

3 Likes

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Kaduna1stson: 5:47pm On Feb 14, 2021
GOVERNMENT2:
LEGENDHERO AND SEUNSMG ARE VIEWING THIS THREAD AS GUEST grin

They are afraid of annoying us grin

1 Like

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Elvictor: 5:50pm On Feb 14, 2021
grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Now this is the real story, I for talk oh! Where did Afonjas have strength to defeat Hausa

angry

Yoruba and propaganda and folktales

1 Like

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by jimyjames(m): 5:54pm On Feb 14, 2021
dmz1:

why can't we break up this country at least for the she of our mental health?

We won't be talking of breaking the country now, only if the Yorubas did as the Easterners did by declaring their region independent out of Nigeria, instead Yorubas fought tirelessly for one Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Kaduna1stson: 6:05pm On Feb 14, 2021
Seunsmg is my friend, he will give us an unbiased view, after then we will hear from helinues grin

1 Like

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Kaduna1stson: 6:07pm On Feb 14, 2021
jimyjames:

We won't be talking of breaking the country now, only if the Yorubas did as the Easterners did by declaring their region independent out of Nigeria, instead Yorubas fought tirelessly for one Nigeria

BenjaminAdekunle was a war hero, he was shooting at every moving and non moving objects. They saved Nigeria from collapse grin

2 Likes

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by seborrhic: 6:11pm On Feb 14, 2021
Strange narrative.
They just stood by as the Hausas killed a pregnant woman,killed another man,burnt their markets and they did nothing?
It's either the Yorubas interviewed are not telling the truth or if they are their servitudevis beyond comprehension.
All through the years of the almagamation of Nigeria,this level of inter ethnic hate and killings have never been this bad.
The beginning of the solution to this problem,if Nigeria is accepted as a continued entity,is the resignation or impeachment of Buhari.
Any other solution is mere pampering to the problem.
Buhari is the beginning and end of the total breakdown of law and order right across Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Samfloxin(m): 6:44pm On Feb 14, 2021
Yoruba people are begging in their own land!!! tufiakwa!! Until you declare war against hausa/Fulani they will sack you people from your land kpatakpata.

3 Likes

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Mensamusa: 7:02pm On Feb 14, 2021
All of una wen dey pour fuel for dis fire,make una fem abeg,let all frayed nerves calm please,war no good,make dis thing no go snowball to another katakata,we need dialogue and peace.

This is not a time to point fingers nor to apportion blames,we should be looking forward to solutions. Bullet no sabi tribe,religion or party.

1 Like

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Yebedervru: 7:04pm On Feb 14, 2021
Samfloxin:
Yoruba people are begging in their own land!!! tufiakwa!! Until you declare war against hausa/Fulani they will sack you people from your land kpatakpata.
Arindin. You fools are too emotional
What do you expect tribune to say? Who owns tribune
You know the news is everywhere of how yorubas killed northerners and you expect them to a knowledge it
That’s why yorubas are smarter than the rest of you
You don’t chest beat every time

4 Likes

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by omowolewa: 7:04pm On Feb 14, 2021
Humm! Seating in keg of gun powder
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Olabenjamen22(m): 7:16pm On Feb 14, 2021
Hmm
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by ogbuefieze: 7:27pm On Feb 14, 2021
There were retaliations from Yorubas, but aside from harassing and injuring a few Hausas during the stop-and-identity routine from the Yorubas who waylaid some Hausas to attack, from all accounts the Hausas caused more damages in properties and loss of lives to the yorubas.
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Yebedervru: 7:37pm On Feb 14, 2021
ogbuefieze:
There were retaliations from Yorubas, but aside from harassing and injuring a few Hausas during the stop-and-identity routine from the Yorubas who waylaid some Hausas to attack, from all accounts the Hausas caused more damages in properties and loss of lives to the yorubas.
Do you live in akinyele local government or Ibadan?
Any trucks in sight or northerner on sight were killed in akinyele yesterday. Soldiers as usual were on their side, but they couldn’t stay forever to help them
Hausa and Yoruba have been fighting in Ibadan no be today
For them to trend stop killing northerners, no be small thing
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Odua1stson: 7:49pm On Feb 14, 2021
Thank you tribune, pls keep fooling these people that are ignorant
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by IamWonderful: 7:50pm On Feb 14, 2021
jimyjames:

well done, was it not your Nnamdi Azikwe that block the minority from today's south south from seceding was he not the same person that say referendum is not suppose to be in our constitution, well you are Igbo, I didn't expect much from you.
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Odua1stson: 7:51pm On Feb 14, 2021
Yebedervru:

Do you live in akinyele local government or Ibadan?
Any trucks in sight or northerner on sight were killed in akinyele yesterday. Soldiers as usual were on their side, but they couldn’t stay forever to help them
Hausa and Yoruba have been fighting in Ibadan no be today
For them to trend stop killing northerners, no be small thing
pls don't loud what realy happened to them in ibadan, this is a good work from tribune and we must accept it like that

2 Likes

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Yebedervru: 7:52pm On Feb 14, 2021
Odua1stson:
pls don't loud what realy happened to them in ibadan, this is a good work from tribune and we must accept it like that
Lol abi
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by jimyjames(m): 8:15pm On Feb 14, 2021
IamWonderful:
well done, was it not your Nnamdi Azikwe that block the minority from today's south south from seceding was he not the same person that say referendum is not suppose to be in our constitution, well you are Igbo, I didn't expect much from you.

My friend speak only on things you have knowledge of, tell me about this minority from South South that was block from Seceding cause as far as I can remember a student from nsukka named Isaac Boro woke up one morning traveled home gathered a few hands of his ijaw brothers and declared Niger Delta republic, show me the map of the ijaw tribe and I will tell you why Niger Delta republic lasted only for 12 days

Secondly nnamdi azikiwe had no power to include or remove referendum or secession in Nigerian Constitution alone, it was a Democratic government and everything was done by majority vote, so this accusation of nnamdi azikiwe said that and this doesn't count, only vote counts.

1 Like

Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by LegendHero(m): 8:17pm On Feb 14, 2021
Lol, South West media.

This tales by moonlight self funny die.

Even the Hausa guys in Shasha that ran kabakaba will be astonished by this Tribune report.

Anyway we are the victims, so Hausa should stop crying victims as seen on the media.

One Nigeria!
Re: How Pregnant Woman, Three Others Died, Properties Destroyed At Shasha Market by Focktot: 8:20pm On Feb 14, 2021
Elvictor:
grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Now this is the real story, I for talk oh! Where did Afonjas have strength to defeat Hausa

angry

Yoruba and propaganda and folktales
Hausa released their narrative through Daily Nigeria Where they painted themselves as victims.

Yorubas released their own narrative too in the evening where they painted themselves as victims through Tribune (Awolowo's newspaper)

We know the truth but we can all be mad together.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Only "Truth" On This Site Is Igbo "Truth" / Which Way Forward Nigeria? Nnamdi Kanu Tells The Yorubas The Bitter Truth / Fire Service Arrive In Taxi With Fire Extinguishers To Put Out Fire In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.