Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,349 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Mardi Gras - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Mardi Gras (1163 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mardi Gras by nedujizzy(m): 12:49pm On Jul 05, 2007
Hello,this thread is for naira land users in the united states, i have heard of a carnival in new orleans called MARDI GRAS, i need information on how and when this carnival is done,a christian friend of mine in Arkansas tells me that its an imoral activity that is not worth taking part in,i will like to have your views especially those that have witnessed it, keep your opinion coming am all ears.
Re: Mardi Gras by jgirl3: 1:34pm On Jul 05, 2007
Mardi Gras is really great.

Every February, Mardi Gras takes place. Most people get heavily drunk during the parades but not everybody.
It's just a joyous period and there is nothing evil about it in my opinion. They have tons of floats and parades where people in masks throw beads, cups, stuffed animals and some other accessories.

They name each float and there is always a Ball the weekend before the original Mardi Gras (Big Tuesday). Leading to the main Mardi Gras, they have about 3 weeks of parades. Not always everyday but the closer we get to Mardi Gras, the more the parades get. Some of the parades named are Proteus, Orpheus, Morpheus, and many other Greek names. In one of the Parades I went to, they also had an African parade (which made me proud of Course) where they named floats after Sango, Ogun and Osun.

During Mardi Gras, New Orleans becomes overfull because people come from every where and anywhere.
If it Mardi Gras was evil, I would have been affected but I've been attending it since 2005 (3 times). It's a really fun time.

Are you planning on going to it anytime soon?
Re: Mardi Gras by nedujizzy(m): 5:43pm On Jul 06, 2007
am in nigeria at the moment but i think i will visit the carnival whenever i come over to the states, i will be a keen observer anyway LOL,where exactly do you stay in the states and when are you going back,
Re: Mardi Gras by jgirl3: 2:56am On Jul 07, 2007
Oh okay then. As you might have guessed, I'm in New Orleans over there and should go back next month.
Re: Mardi Gras by igbonla(m): 8:24pm On Jul 08, 2007
Re: Mardi Gras by nedujizzy(m): 2:38pm On Jul 10, 2007
hello j-girl do you mind if we get to know each other more, exchange numbers and email adress,stuff like that kiss
Re: Mardi Gras by jgirl3: 2:31pm On Jul 19, 2007
Yeah sure, why not? smiley
Re: Mardi Gras by nedujizzy(m): 4:45pm On Jul 20, 2007
thats cool,my e mail addy is , ask4nedu@yahoo.com, phone number is 2348037036168, can i have yours? are you a fan of man united,cos am one too.
Re: Mardi Gras by Okejazz(m): 3:35am On Jul 24, 2007
j-girl:

Mardi Gras is really great.

Every February, Mardi Gras takes place. Most people get heavily drunk during the parades but not everybody.
It's just a joyous period and there is nothing evil about it in my opinion. They have tons of floats and parades where people in masks throw beads, cups, stuffed animals and some other accessories.

They name each float and there is always a Ball the weekend before the original Mardi Gras (Big Tuesday). Leading to the main Mardi Gras, they have about 3 weeks of parades. Not always everyday but the closer we get to Mardi Gras, the more the parades get. Some of the parades named are Proteus, Orpheus, Morpheus, and many other Greek names. In one of the Parades I went to, they also had an African parade (which made me proud of Course) where they named floats after Sango, Ogun and Osun.
During Mardi Gras, New Orleans becomes overfull because people come from every where and anywhere.
If it Mardi Gras was evil, I would have been affected but I've been attending it since 2005 (3 times). It's a really fun time.

Are you planning on going to it anytime soon?

I've been in the N.O (New orleans) for a hot minute and have attended quite a number of the coconut-hauling ZULU parades (including their after parties) but have never been fortunate to see the Sango, Ogun and Osun floats. It bet Naija still represented owanbe style.
Re: Mardi Gras by Bossman(m): 11:25pm On Jul 26, 2007
Mardi Gras is a fun event as already desctibed, and there is nothing evil about it at all. People just let loose and enjoy themselves. I actually like New Orleans. Went to school down there. But have not been back there in about 11 years. I know things have changed somewhat because of Katrina.

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerians So Generous? / Un Blasts Myanmar For Visa Policy On Aid Workers (are They Kidding Me?) / Where Is The Best Place To Have Your Kids? Ireland Or In The Uk?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.