Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,372 members, 7,819,337 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria (15778 Views)

Best Internet Service Provider In Nigeria / Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? / The VSAT Internet Business is Doomed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by afroasian(m): 3:19pm On Feb 07, 2006
hi,

dunno if you've had my kind of experience. You see, im into a lot of tech-consulting, computers, telecoms and networking....and so i walk up to this client-to-be or maybe he gets my contact#/vice-versa and we start talking about him/his business(usually a cafe)/his office or even residence getting hooked up to the internet. So i put together a proposal on the best ISP to meet his needs.

Usually, a VSAT is purchased. If you dont know that, its called a Very Small Aperture Terminal. Lemme give an example of cafes, you know this idea of bandwidth is becoming a problem. For example: a company says they are selling 64kbps/128kbps or 32kbps/32kbps or any other combination they may fancy, and maybe for a cafe, the proposal goes well, the client pays me and I go and pay-up at the ISP or wherever, i set up the cafe, the VSAT equipment gets delivered and the company's engineer comes to do the installation, or sometimes, i might do it myself.............okay, later the client starts complaining.....the usual......"my internet is slow"

so for a while, i try to do some checks here and there to make sure that the client-side, his Local area network is not at fault. You know sometimes, even on a single computer, the connection/browsing speed is slow, how much more on 5 or 10 computer systems.

i sometimes had to set up gateways, firewalls etc., at least to manage the connection, but really several times ive discovered that the internet connection is not as fast as stated.......as in im getting lower than what i paid for. And the whole thing is becoming a nemesis already.......

just to ask, if youre into this same kinda dilema, what are the ISPs you use that have met your expectation about this bandwidth-paid-for and bandwidth-gotten issue?

AA

1 Like

Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by sbucareer(f): 3:30pm On Feb 07, 2006
It will take me time to explain all these issues so bear with me. I do not want to put up a long read.

1 Like

Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by sbucareer(f): 3:45pm On Feb 07, 2006
"afroasian ":

Usually, a VSAT is purchased. If you don't know that, its called a Very Small Aperture Terminal. Lemme give an example of cafes, you know this idea of bandwidth is becoming a problem. For example: a company says they are selling 64kbps/128kbps or 32kbps/32kbps or any other combination they may fancy, and maybe for a cafe, the proposal goes well, the client pays me and I go and pay-up at the ISP or wherever, i set up the cafe, the VSAT equipment gets delivered and the company's engineer comes to do the installation, or sometimes, i might do it myself, okay, later the client starts complaining.the usual, "my internet is slow"

VSAT, I do not need to explain what is means, but satellite communication has their problems.  It receive and transceiver digital signal through wave frequency.  In network there is things we call crosstalk and noise to data.  Car, singing, shouting, air, wind, electronic interference can cause network noise hence reducing attenuation length of an electrical/wave signals.

Personally I don't like WLAN.  The bandwidth issue is very confusing for a lot of people.  Unless you are connected to an ISP through a dedicated line i.e. telephone line/telecoms line, you can never get a dedicated bandwidth. 

Wireless ISP provides a bandwidth for their customers say 64kbps/128kbps.  That amount of bandwidth is shareable among all their customers using VSAT or some sort of wireless device to communicate with their ISP.

If you have more people connected to their ISP through VSAT the more the badwidth is going to reduce.  If you have less people connected the more you can gain more bandwidth, it is that simple.  There is no technology I know today yet that can control wireless traffic into a dedicated customer device.  Mind you the wireless uses 803.11a/b/g if I am not wrong.  When data is broadcast on this frequency everyone with a device(VSAT) that can listen to this frequency can access that data.  It is not dedicated like telephone line.

1 Like

Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by sbucareer(f): 4:01pm On Feb 07, 2006

so for a while, i try to do some checks here and there to make sure that the client-side, his Local area network is not at fault. You know sometimes, even on a single computer, the connection/browsing speed is slow, how much more on 5 or 10 computer systems.

Some technician do not really know how to configure VSAT.  To install VSAT is not the problem, but to configure it to listen or wave through the best signal strenght.  Proper insulation from rain and noise etc.  Ask the ISP to come and check the installation that you think the VSAT is not getting enough signal hence you network connection is slow.

This takes me to another point, you are using 32kbps/32kbps up and down stream connection.  In a nanosecond you get 32bits of digital signal to and down your network, that is 32 characters per 1 second divided by one billion (0.000000001). It might seem fast to you but when you consider your network topology you soon know that it is slow and you network configuration is too bad.

If you have ten PC and are using star toplogy which is most popular (hub)  and you send request to the internet, the hub would broadcast all that request to ten PC's before going out to internet,  also if response is coming back from the internet it would broadcast all the message to all 10 PC.  On a busy day on the internet cafe people sending and receiving request/response from internet you soon find out that the network would suddenly grind to a halt.

This is where you have to use switch not hub.  Program the switch and tell it all the route to go base on IP address, gateway and MAC address.  Even though switch has it down fall.  You really need to learn network properly before embarking on this journey.  Setting up PC to connect to internet through a gateway is NEVER sufficient to commercial customer.

1 Like

Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by sbucareer(f): 4:15pm On Feb 07, 2006
Tell you customer also that if he needs more bandwidth for ten PC's the price is different for one PC.  You can not have 10 cars running parallel on a single lane road.  You'd need ten lane road to run 10 cars.

As an engineer, you need to configure yoy customer backbone network as a hierarchal star topology.  Use switches NOT Hub. Have many gateways.

For example if you internet cafe guy has 10 PC and in the building, the physical arrangement is 3 PC's per row with 3 colonms then you had need:

1. 1X4 router
2. 1x2 switches
3. Terminate your RJ45 (Dont buy terminated ones)
4. Make sure that you are using STP cable
5. NIC card (10/100Base -2T)
6. Make sure the cable from the VSAT is on 100/1000Base -5e

Three PC's go through different gateway, each gateway is connect to another gateway through switch
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by kimba(m): 5:22pm On Feb 07, 2006
really interesting topic, huh,

anyway, sbucareer, u know things no dey easy as you dey talk. here in fatherland, the next thing in tech is now this VSAT tech issue and its just springing up everywhere. In the next 10yrs if we are not carefull, we'll have a VSAT dumpsite.

Wireless ISP provides a bandwidth for their customers say 64kbps/128kbps.  The amount of bandwidth is shareable among all customers using VSAT or some sort of wireless device to communicate with their ISP.

If you have more people connected to their ISP through VSAT the more the badwidth is going to reduce.  If you have less people connected the more you can gain more bandwidth, it is that simple.  There is no technology I know today yet that can control wireless traffic into a dedicated customer.  Mind you the wireless uses 803.11a/b/g if I am not wrong.  When data is broadcast on this frequency everyone with a device(VSAT) that can listen to this frequency can access that data.  It is not dedicated like telephone line.

NOTE: i also have seen some adverts in our papers offering dedicated bandwidth on VSATs using various technology-solutions.   
...how do you explain this using

and note, i dont think afroasian meant to imply that connections are to the ISP. Lemme explain, a host of companies operate in Nigeria providing internet access through vsat technology. some have hubs here in the country, others dont. THose that have hubs, are just for site provisioning and management issues, not that their clients actually connect to them in real terms.

question: pls what kinda tech do u use for ur internet connectivity in the UK...i mean R u using a phone line(what speed) or a wireless connection...
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by sbucareer(f): 6:12pm On Feb 07, 2006
In the UK, telephone lines can be converted into ASDL.  This translate into having voice line and data line in one line, if i am making sense to you.  i.e. In a typical house in the UK, the developer MUST put a telephone line probably BT (British Telecom) line.

You can have a dialup (56kbps), the problem with this is that your line is tire up for voice calls unless you disconnect from internet.  Even worst incoming calls can disconnect your internet (in the middle of download)

Broadband was the solution to divide your existing BT line into ADSL.  Hence having voice call whilst on the internet on one line.  Here in the UK we can enjoy 1Mbps to 8Mbps on ADSL line (braodband).  I m using 2Mbps in my house.  It cost me £24.99 per month.  To get a T1, BRI,PRI line it would cost you £1000 setup fee and £34 per channel, minimum channel is 8 port.  This lines are for commercial use like Hosting and serious IT related business and internet cafe in the UK.

NOTE: i also have seen some adverts in our papers offering dedicated bandwidth on VSATs using various technology-solutions.   
...how do you explain this using

I would like to see more evidence to this claim.  If there are ways to communicate dedicated bandwidth to customers then, I think VSAT is the better solution for Nigeria.

I would like you to take time and go through these link and this

To be more precise VSAT is good solution for WAN and MAN solution not for private use for internet connection.  If you want to communicate two offices together i.e. One in Kano State and another in Lagos State, the best solution is VSAT.  That was the original purpose.  But you know Nigerian with their technical ideas.
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by kenniy(m): 10:12am On Feb 08, 2006
in nigeria.. the best is netcom!!
chk out netcomng.com
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by kimba(m): 10:31am On Feb 08, 2006
I m using 2Mbps in my house.  It cost me £24.99 per month

wow, that must be some speed man, for how many computers in a house? is that a T1 or any in the list of what you mentioned or on your broadband?

pretty cheap if you ask me
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by sbucareer(f): 2:11pm On Feb 08, 2006
I have 7 Servers in my house (1U Rack) and 4 workstations.  I run a part-time business at home, providing cheap carrier to Internet cafes or call centre.  The business type is called ITSP.  I have had little time running the business as I work at the moment.  I only pay attention to it during weekends when I am off work and you know family issues at well.  It is not that easy, and I have to keep up with this forum.

I am in the process of changing my ADSL form 2Mbps to 8Mbps unfortunately AOL at the moment do not support that.  All the rest ISP in UK have some hidden agenda either monthly limit download and cost to call customer service for a problem you can fix yourself. 

I have a project I want to conduct if people would help; I know someone will run with the idea to start it by their own.  We can actually use a VSAT from London and beam data to another VSAT in Nigeria and provide a more cheaper or even free Internet access with lots of bandwidth.
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by otokx(m): 11:31am On Mar 10, 2006
Am interested in your project.

The cybercafe i work with began with a dial up NITEL connection then moved on to a microwave connection using a mast and dedicated frequency utilizing a hybrid indoor equipment and california antenna plus transceiver. Instability in Communications Trends Limited forced us to move to a different ISP called NETXPRESS LTD which uses a wiman II radio to connect. Again due to some internal problems encountered we had to move to our own VSAT using a 2.4m dish 5w buc and linkstar modem. Again there was a drop in the quality of service. Imagine paying $800 a month for a 64k dedicated bandwidth which could not support 25 client systems. We then tried to move to another Provider using the Idirect Net2modem only to get duped so we are back to the Wiman II radio connection which is proving to be quite good. At $345 a month it is carrying 25 client systems well.
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by Ladapo(m): 1:00pm On May 03, 2007
try ITClick Networx limited, I think and believe, they are better than the almighty Netcom and I can prove it if u want.
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by Muid20(m): 9:41am On Jul 07, 2007
Ladapo:

try ITClick Networx limited, I think and believe, they are better than the almighty Netcom and I can prove it if u want.

PLS CAN U GIVE ME DETAILS OF IT CLICK OR PROBABLY THE SITE ADDRESS AM INTERESTED IN ITS
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by deezzle(m): 6:03pm On Jul 16, 2007
what is your client's bandwidth usage? he may be over-shooting his bandwidth.
what u can also do is get a bandwidth monitor. u can use google to check for that
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by funsho777: 12:11pm On Jul 26, 2007
call me 08037270407 i will provide you an internet service provider with high speed
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by ben2007: 7:07pm On Jul 30, 2007
From my experience, I'll recommend DOPC (Direct On PC Ltd.). Though they are not perfect but by far better than others.
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by mcpbalaji: 7:07pm On Dec 17, 2007
Hi Everybody smiley,
I need the VSAT bandwidth monitoring tool. In my company we are using the VSAT connection. we need to check the bandwidth for VSAT.

Please send me the tool.

Thanks,
Balaji.V.
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by ImaEro(m): 11:43am On Jan 03, 2008
Hey dudes , we are setting up partnerships with Nigerian VSAT companies with strong technical know-how .We run our Teleport from the UK,Netherlands and US sufficient capacity on c band and ku band and for dedicated or shared platforms .we also have a voip gateway Any interested company can mail me ; iero@mach-six.com. u can reach me on +44(0)7512906953
visit our website www.mach-six.com at your convenience !
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by oldie(m): 11:55am On Jan 03, 2008
Ima Ero:

Hey dudes , we are setting up partnerships with Nigerian VSAT companies with strong technical know-how .We run our Teleport from the UK,Netherlands and US sufficient capacity on c band and ku band and for dedicated or shared platforms .we also have a voip gateway Any interested company can mail me ; iero@mach-six.com. u can reach me on +44(0)7512906953
visit our website www.mach-six.com at your convenience !

What satellites are you using?
Have you considered the new NIG-COMSAT?
Why Teleport not in Nigeria?
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by ImaEro(m): 2:58pm On Jan 03, 2008
hi Oldie, we are on several satellites globally and with strong presence in marine /vessels connectivity .Over nigeria we have capacity on NSS-10 C Band and PAS-10 for ku.We do business with most leading satellites and as the need arises we can do with some proven sats including NIG-COMSAT, thx
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by akbalco: 9:31pm On Jun 03, 2008
i have been thinking about what to do to improve the internet providers in nigeria. and i have been looking for adsl (isp) internet service provider in nigeria
                            before i stumble on this forum.
          what i want you guys to know is that the internet age have gone above those level we are loking at we need to have ADSL service provider because if you should look and research in all europe and america india and many other countries we have up to 24mbps line which you only need just your land line and nothing more.
    and after you suscribe for for the adsl the router will be deliver to you in which if you know little about computer you can seup your connection and enjoy your internet and you will have a fixed monthly rate for your internet and  you can use your phone anytime you want.
            if we are talking about internet caffe i know about internet caffe with 10 dsl line and with a good switch you can make each computer to connect to any line you want is just by specifing which will be the default gateway ip .       
       to have a fast internet line in nigeria our telecommunication have to be reliable first ( NITEL)and after we can talk about many things because vsat is not for common man and not for domestic use because of the equipment involve because there is alway a rediation from the sat and the equipment.
we want a internet that a common man will be able to afford because internet is becoming food for many people and we have to make it posible for all people of nigeria so that they will have information in their finger tips.
like in my house i have 24mbps and just 29 euro per month and we have pricelow up to 19 euro for about 7mbps which is very good fro home so see.
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by krazynaija(m): 5:20pm On Jan 26, 2009
hello i have lr in euro available for sale contact me on 07062349642
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by Nicesoul(m): 1:57pm On Jan 27, 2009
I have a project I want to conduct if people would help; I know someone will run with the idea to start it by their own. We can actually use a VSAT from London and beam data to another VSAT in Nigeria and provide a more cheaper or even free Internet access with lots of bandwidth.

[quote][/quote]

Can we get talking? Planning of setting up Wifi in somolu soon. You can email me at lateeph@gmail.com or laticares@yahoo.com. Hope to read from you soon.

1 Like

Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by deking(m): 10:45am On Feb 17, 2009
hello nice, am interested in this offer as i have great challenges with broadband (actually it's more of a narrowband) service in use in the country.
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by hakon: 1:36pm On Jan 19, 2010
the problem people face with this bandwidth issue is that its either they dont ask questions well or they settle for cheap services that will prove to be more expensive in the longrun. most ISP do not there customers a dedicated bandwidth. they give them a shared bandwidth. and with this u will never have a good experience using the internet. if u want to buy VSAT equipments or u want to migrate to another network that will give u ur dure dedicated bandwidth call and 07030106698 I will hook u up to a company that will Handle that.
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by Jazzb: 11:26pm On Apr 07, 2010
I should say with all regrets that Nigerians are too exploited by the ISPs. Sometimes, i ask rhetorical questions about why should Nigerians of much lower Per Capita income pay so much for telephone and internet services even with the poorest quality of service there is. I reside in New York, USA with about 8M populaton. The few ISPs around provide services to the residents with the best quality you can think of, yet at a very affordable price. I have Optimum Online tripple play from Cable Vision. The services come as a pack - telephone, internet, and cable services for $99.00 per month, unlimited. This is a place where my income for two hours can pay somebody's salary in Nigeria, yet, I am having these services affordably. To me here, though, I still consider this price as high as there are other service providers willing to give you a better deal by switching your service.

The problem we have in Nigeria is about the lack of political will on the side of our leaders to regulate service charges of these service providers. Our corrupt leaders can never make any life meaningful for Nigerians. Some of these people do not pay for these services, hence are not fazed by what the common men and businesses have to endure. I therefore charge Nigerians in the diaspora who have access to telephone and internet service providers to curl them to invest in Nigeria with the mindset of crashing service charges so that the existing ones either adjust to the reality of the present or close shop.
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by seun0622(m): 8:14pm On Apr 18, 2010
Thanks so much guy. Very good observation and suggestion.
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by ubrankodlapsa: 10:44am On Jan 12, 2011
ubranka dla psow wykroje ubranie dla psa ubranka dla psow warszawa ubranka dla psow wykroje ubranka dla psow allegro ubranie dla psa ubranka dla psow chihuahua ubranka dla psow chihuahua ubranka dla pieska ubranka dla psow allegro ubranka dla psow shih tzu ubranka dla psow shih tzu ubranka dla psow york ubranka dla psow wykroje ubranka dla psow chihuahua ubranka dla york ubranka dla psa yorka
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by Donkoga(m): 1:40am On Feb 13, 2011
@ubranko, speak ENGLISH grin
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by maltanczyki: 8:34am On Feb 25, 2011
maltańczyk maltańczyki hodowla psy maltańczyki maltańczyki hodowla maltańczyki hodowla
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by psyyorki: 12:56am On Feb 27, 2011
york terier jorki yorki pies pies rasy psów psy yorki wikipedia psy
Re: Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria by Dlapsow: 4:12pm On Mar 04, 2011
salon dla psów karmy dla psów akcesoria dla psów
imiona dla psów fryzjer dla psówsklep zoologiczny dla psów akcesoria dla psówsalon dla psów karmy dla psówakcesoria dla psów karma dla psówschronisko dla psa karma dla psów schroniska dla psów karma dla psówfryzjer dla psów schronisko dla psaimiona dla psów fryzjer dla psów ubrania dla psów schronisko dla psa ubranka dla psów salon dla psów akcesoria dla psów ubrania dla psów

(1) (2) (Reply)

Device Driver For Toshiba Satellite L40 / Microsoft Paint Is Dead, But It Won't Be Forgotten / *** The Future Of India Web Proxy Is Here, No More Server( India web Proxyv3)***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.