Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,191 members, 7,825,734 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? (16037 Views)

5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced / Digital Giants: Philip Emeagwali ( You Guys Thatt Said He Is Just A Media Hype) / Philip Emeagwali – Genius Or Crook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by 4Play(m): 4:36pm On Jul 30, 2006
Can someone explain to me what Mr Emeagwali is supposed to have acheived.A quick search for hom on Google shows that he is not all that he is built up to be in Nigeria

He has no registered patent to his name for someone who is said to have built the fastest computer and he was said to have failed his PHD programme.

Can someone show me what exactly he accomplished

1 Like

Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Bamiprof(m): 10:42am On Aug 04, 2006
I don't simply agree with you,I thougt so myself until someone gave me an insight.He is a worthy Ambassador of Nigeria.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by 4Play(m): 8:03pm On Aug 05, 2006
@bamiprof
U did not actually explain to me what exactly he achieved
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by clocky(m): 9:42pm On Aug 05, 2006
yes he is a fake. His website is just a mere publicity stunt . Check out this blog for an analysis of all his claims
http://magazine.biafranigeriaworld.com/cezeilo/2003nov09.html
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Rams(m): 6:10am On Aug 08, 2006
clocky:

yes he is a fake. His website is just a mere publicity stunt . Check out this blog for an analysis of all his claims
http://magazine.biafranigeriaworld.com/cezeilo/2003nov09.html

Wow I just read that. It's sad that it took another naija man to debunk his claims but alas the truth came out.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by ashivickie: 6:46am On Aug 09, 2006
hi hi , anyone can tell me how to use this ? i am a newer and first time to log in here , thanks so much
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:38am On Aug 18, 2006
wow i heard about this guy 2 years ago, i have always wondered why he isnt famous except for his website ofcourse, i just thought maybe he is just one of those scientist that prefer doing their bit quietly

Na Wa this one isnt media hype its SELF HYPE!!! chai!!
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Ugwumba(m): 2:27am On Aug 27, 2006
CNN has unknowingly aided one of the biggest intellectual frauds of the century. A self-proclaimed 'Father of the internet', Philip Emeagwali indicates on his website that this 'title' was given to him by CNN.

Nigerian professional engineers and scientists have been alarmed by the fraud perpetrated by the self-declared 'Dr.' Philip Emeagwali, who self-promotes himself as one of Africa's most talented scientists. The shame of this, is that, while the international scientific community treats Emeagwali with caution and 'near' disdain, journalists and non-scientists continue to laud him.
We understand that this fraud has been carried so far that he now has Nigerian stamps in his name (as he claims on his website), has been voted as one of the top 100 Africans of the last century amongst other honorable mention as the 'father of the internet'. The facts are however very different and can be verified independently.

1. Philip Emeagwali was NEVER awarded a PhD by the University of Michigan, because, apart from twice failing his doctorate examinations, he had his PhD dissertation declared unworthy of the award of a doctorate by both internal and external assesors.
Emeagwali usually resorts to a claim of racial bias against him, when challenged, and in the case of his PhD, sued the University, claiming racial bias. The suit was dismissed both by the court of first arbitration and later on appeal, for lacking any merit.

2. The 'so-called' achievements for which Philip Emeagwali shared a 1989 Gordon Bell prize with many other groups can, at best, be regarded as 'graduate level' scientific achievement and not the ground breaking work of a top scientist. Emeagwali has promoted this prize, which awarded him a paltry cash sum of $1,000, to be the equivalent of the Nobel Prize of computing. This is an insult to the achievement of Africa's foremost Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka. The 'real' computing 'Nobel Prize' is the $100,000 A.M.Turin Prize, which is awarded by the same ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) that awards the lesser Gordon Bell's prize.

3. Using the internet and his personal website, Philip Emeagwali has spread this falsehood about himself to the chagrin of the professional scientific community, such that any reference to him comes up with these false claims of excellence. The claims build up a 'chain-reaction' much like in a nuclear reactor, such that, over time they take on a life of their own, and even reputable organizations like CNN and President Bill Clinton are unable to unearth the massive deception being carried out. This is the equivalent of an intellectual 'pyramid-scheme'.

4. Mr. Emeagwali's claim to having carried out the fastest computations using parallel computing, is a bare-faced lie. In the same Gordon Bell's award, this prize was actually awarded to a team from Mobil whose computations were twice as fast as Emeagwali's and he actually received the award (in layman's terms) for the most economic use of high speed computing. The award to him was actually due to a technicality in the ACM award rules which disallows more than one award for each entry. The same Mobil team actually achieved a price efficiency of about 20% more than Emeagwali's.

5. Emeagwali promotes himself as having helped to develop supercomputing, but his only work of note was in the use of existing supercomputers to achieve a faster (not the fastest) speed.

6. Another bare-faced lie is the over 30 patents he is supposed to own. Unless these are unregistered (which begs the question of how they can be called patents), there are zero patents in his name with the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office) from 1976 to date. He has been challenged several times to send information that can be used to verify any patents he holds and has refused to do so.

We all would be doing the world a great service by investigating further and exposing this falsehood.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Ugwumba(m): 8:33pm On Aug 28, 2006
There still seem to be people who are convinced that Emeagwali is a 'worthy ambassador' of Nigeria, so I will take pains to put more critical info at your disposal.

Before you read this, let me first debunk some of the usual attacks by Emeagwali fans (have been used on one of the earliest challengers of Emeagwali - Chioma Ezeilo).

1. Pull Him down - I have nothing to gain by this, as I think Nigeria needs authentic (please note my choice of words) heroes and role models. I was also an early admirer.

2. Not knowleadgeable - I am a theoretical physicist with over 22 years post-graduate teaching and working experience and have taught quantum mechanics, computational physics and nuclear physics at undergraduate and graduate level. I have been involved in oil reservoir modelling and simulation for the last ten years.

3. Misguided - I only act on facts that can be irrefutably established (something Emeagwali's fans seem to disregard).

4. White supremacist - I am black (and proud).

5. Tribalist - I am Ibo (from the same tribe as Emeagwali).

Nigeria, Africa and the black 'world' need authentic heroes and within the sciences we have many - Animalu, Balogun, Awele Maduemizia, Ade Amusa, Allotey, Chike Obi (and sons) and a host of other very honorable and less self-serving people. Emeagwali is NOT in the same class as these people.

Below are additional misrepresentations, half-truths and barefaced lies by Emeagwali and friends. I will continue to provide more information until this myth is debunked. This is my cross, and I will bear it with honour.

(a) In the 'Timeline' on his website, Emeagwali states the following: "1989 Emeagwali rejects Darcy's Law and develops nine equations that unifies Fillunger's equations and Newton's second law of motion and invents nine algorithms that
enable 65,536 cooperating processors to increase the amount of oil recovered".

This is another bare-faced lie. For any professional, the process for 'rejecting' a law, theorem or hypothesis is clear and requires no further enumeration here - there are no publications by Emeagwali related to Darcy's law, Newton's laws and, for that matter, any known law/s in the Sciences. How Emeagwali draws a relationship between the 'solving power and speed' of the work he did on supercomputers and the 'rejecting' or 'unification' of laws/ equations befuddles the mind. There are NO scholarly articles (except in Emegwali's mind) relating any work he has done to Fillunger's equations. All references to this achievement have been initiated by Emeagwali himself (please do an Internet check yourself) and, as is his usual style, picked up by some non-scientific media (e.g. Africa Source) and if not stopped now will take on a life of their own.

(b) Emeagwali also claims to have been an IEEE 'Distinguished visitor' and provides a link to the IEEE website - http://www.ieee.org/portal/site

A search (please select IEEE Ultraseek to avoid being transferred to an Emeagwali 'posting') on Emeagwali yields only one article (no conferences) and, as if this is not bad enough, authored by Emeagwali I. I cannot confirm this is Philip and suspect his usual games are being played here. Further, the advanced search indicates that 'Distinguished' and 'Emeagwali' cannot be used in the same sentence.

We ask that you judge his 'commercial' approach (selling mugs, T-shirts, clocks etc.) against any ethical standards of professional organizations you belong to.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Chxta(m): 2:26am On Aug 29, 2006
Emeagwali?

I wrote this article about him in April. People hae been on to him for a while now.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Ugwumba(m): 11:37am On Aug 29, 2006
Yes,
I have seen the blogs and the trail of mail from you and many others, but still think this should be taken further.

South Korea took the pains to address a similar issue for the South Korean stem cell scientist Hwang Woo Suk, and made no excuses for him (even though one of his claims was true). This is the same with Emeagwali - all his fame rides on a single achievement, the Gordon Bell prize, from which he has now built even more bogus claims (ala Hwang Woo Suk).

There is still a Nigerian stamp with Emeagwali on it, none of the various news items praising him as a father of the Internet have been retracted, CNN has not issued an official rebuttal on him (or investigated this matter any further), Bill Clinton is yet to retract his praise of Emeagwali and the African-American media still treat him as an outstanding 'black' inventor (even though they cannot list any patents in his name).

History (as we know it) can be manipulated if these retractions are not made when the issues are still fresh. This is why South Korean scientists acted immediately. We cannot behave any differently.

As Emeagwali refuses to provide any details to back his claims, I have sent a request to the popular BBC program Hardtalk to interview him.

All those who want to get to the bottom of this can apply pressure on the BBC to get this man on the program to answer specific questions on his 'claim to fame'.

We should not treat this issue lightly, as it has done a lot of damage to Nigerian scientists.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by clocky(m): 1:53pm On Aug 29, 2006
Ugwumba ,

i totally support your suggestion. This is a serious rape on our collective intelligence by this con of a man. I just wonder why we were so gullable in the first place to fall for all his lies . This is a question we need to ask ourselves. where we so desperate for a black hero? why where all these things not noticed in the initial times he started making the claims . 
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Ugwumba(m): 2:12pm On Aug 29, 2006
My bros, the ways of con men are wonderful. When the claims came out, even we wey dey the scientific community were taken in as we had been praying for a saviour after the Dr. Oyibo's GAGUT (God Almighty Grand Unification Theory) embarrassment.
Here, we thought, was an authentic claim, especially as the recognized ACM Gordon Bell award had been given to him in 1989.

However, his subsequent attempts to over-rate this modest achievement led to further investigation (initially by Chioma Ezeilo), which unearthed more lies and half-truths.

We cannot repeat this too many times: Emeagwali no be Prof. (who dash am), never publish any useful scientific papers, no dey teach anybody anything, now resorts to public speaking on 'safer' topics like AIDS, BRAIN DRAIN and merchandising his family photos.

But, he can dodge us for only so long (Chioma has offered him 'fire-for-fire', and a number of us dey wait in the wings for him to show face again).
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Chxta(m): 3:29pm On Aug 29, 2006
Nice signature Ugwumba, though I'd have preferred if you'd given those kind regards in Igbo grin. Funny that you should mention Oyibo. Probably you've met me dad. The man chokes whenever that name is mentioned,

How does one get in contact with the folks at the BBC?
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Ugwumba(m): 3:53pm On Aug 29, 2006
Chxta,
No way to tell if I have met your Dad, but from your writings, he should be very proud of you. cheesy

For the BBC, you can send a mail to: hardtalk@bbc.co.uk, and add your voice to those asking for a Hardtalk interview of Philip Emeagwali.

The more they hear from concerned people, the more likely it is that the interview will happen (unless of course Emeagwali declines to be challenged, as usual).
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Chxta(m): 6:13pm On Aug 29, 2006
Mail has been sent.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by clocky(m): 8:02pm On Aug 29, 2006
i am very sure the baga will decline an interview.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Ugwumba(m): 8:18pm On Aug 29, 2006
@clocky,
we wait and see, maybe pride will be his undoing.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by clocky(m): 1:11pm On Aug 30, 2006
Why do you call Dr Oyinbo's GAGUT an embarassment ? I tought a lot of academics have scrutinized his work and have not found any fault in them. I may be wrong but what if he truely have found the answer to the ultimate question and the European imprealist just can't live with the fact that he is a black man
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Ugwumba(m): 2:03pm On Aug 30, 2006
@ clocky, my early post-graduate work was on QCD (quantum chromodynamics) and i will attempt a  lay mans' explanation here.

The GUT (grand unification theory, theory of everything) in physics attempts to combine the tripod of  fundamental symmetries - QCD (the strong interaction), the weak force and hypercharge.
Each symmetry is fairly successful in desribing physical phenomenom at different scales, but are less successful at the boundaries where the other force is dominant.

GUT is an attempt to have a 'single' concept that describes all physical phenomena, and physicists from Einstein's time have struggled with this.

Now, while Dr. Oyibo's work makes mathematical sense (has been peer reviewed by people like Prof. Animalu - a great Nigerian physicist) the connection to physics that all such great theories make has not been established.

It therefore remains in the realm of 'mathematical manipulations' and not physical theory, and therefore does not bring him close to a Nobel Prize in Physics (none in mathematics) which was the media hype.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by clocky(m): 4:39pm On Aug 30, 2006
Thanks Ugwumba for the incite i am not much of a physicist but i think i understand your point.
i guess he needs to do more work but i wonder why he is not working in any of the top research institutions in the US where he is based. He sure needs a lot of funding to make his mathematical discovery a physical reality
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Ugwumba(m): 4:47pm On Aug 30, 2006
clocky - yes, b4 making more media noise on the Nobel Prize etc. (no one ever won by advertising their work in the media), he needs to do more work.

PS - his was an embarrassment, Emeagwali's was fraud.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Awo4(m): 12:58pm On Sep 12, 2006
One Word, FAKE.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by sbucareer(f): 12:10am On Nov 19, 2006

You people have killed this guy, at least give him some credit.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Rams(m): 10:23pm On Nov 23, 2006
sbucareer:

You people have killed this guy, at least give him some credit.

Credit for what?!
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by nosa101(f): 10:44pm On Nov 23, 2006
Bloody scum of a scammer
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by sbucareer(f): 2:47pm On Nov 25, 2006

I do not need to tell you what he has achieved, although some of it was over exaggerated by his website. We should also remember that he won the 1989 Gordon Bell prize, a prize from the IEEE, for his use of the Connection Machine supercomputer to help analyse petroleum fields. He received 1000 USD for this award.

He may have been refused a doctoral programme at the university of Michigan, you and I may not know the extent to the issue. Many website have their own account to his achievements and exaggerated claims.

The underlying factor is that he did graduate from the University of Michigan as an Engineering student, he did win a Gordon Bell prize from the IEEE, for his use of the connection machine supercomputer to help analyse petroleum fields, which he received a USD 1000.

Don't misunderstand me; I am not speaking on his defence for depicting some sentimental misguided information in his website. But we should look at his case objectively and analyse and congratulate his achievements and not use the weapon of subjective and comparative judgement, like the Michigan state university did.

Word is such a powerful tool, we should also realise that his is a Nigerian and not just and Igbo man. We should concentrate on his achievements and try and correct people and the rest of the world regarding this issue.

Everybody is innocent till found guilty, always remember that, no court has find him guilty or are investigating to find him guilty. All these allegations is based on the information he depicted on his website.

He may claim that the website was not written by him. Now, what would you do?
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Ndipe(m): 10:43am On Nov 28, 2006
Emegwali could silence his critics, if he would go live on an interview with BBC or any other news organization, familiar with this controvery trailing him. Yeah, I did read an ad in Essence magazine a while ago about the internet being founded by him.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Ynot(m): 6:06pm On Nov 28, 2006
Its strange how emegwali went on media rampage selling his father of the internet image then. The same emeagwali is now refusing to provide evidence of his claims.

Here are some videos from Google.

[list]
[li]Bill Clinton called him one of the great minds[/li]
[li]Interviewed by Ian Boyne[/li]
[li]Another interview[/li]
[li]Why Africans are not going home[/li]
[li]Africa's fate[/li]
[/list]
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Horus(m): 10:11pm On Mar 30, 2007
Awesome video! Thanks for watching this video. Did you know that the BELL award that he won is giving to teams of computer scientists, never have they given the award to an individual. One of Emeagwali, famous quotes is that genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration. If you can find the interview on the Jamician talk show, he talks about doing things with the internet in the future that will either baffle your mind or scare you to death. Brillant man,a Genius !!

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOB9oiSCtuc

Philip Emeagwali, Oliver Jones, Sir Howard Cooke (the governor-general of Jamaica) at the gala fundraising banquet.
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by 4Play(m): 11:47pm On Mar 30, 2007
Horus:

One of Emeagwali, famous quotes is that genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration.

I like that quote.Problem is,that is a century old quote from Thomas Edison .Definitely not one of Emeagwali's "famous quotes"
Re: Is Philip Emeagwali A Media Hype? by Horus(m): 12:58am On Mar 31, 2007
Awards

He has received numerous other awards, ranging from one from the World Bank-IMF Africa Club to being voted the "35th-greatest African of all time" in a survey by New African magazine. His achievements were quoted in a speech by Bill Clinton as an example of what Nigerians could achieve when given the opportunity

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Emeagwali#Awards

Watch an other video: http://black-inventors.com/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Make Your Computer Welcome U, By Saying Ur Name On Startup / Is Shutting Down Via The Computer's Power Button Really Safe? / I Buy Scrap and working Laptops (exchange Your Scrap Laptop For Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.