Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,792 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:01 PM

Why Is This Called The ''Indian Ocean''? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is This Called The ''Indian Ocean''? (872 Views)

Meet Jasmine Harrison, The Youngest Female To Row Solo Across Atlantic Ocean / See Beautiful Pictures Of Underwater Restaurant In The Indian Ocean / Man Narrates The Kind Of Wonder Creatures Living In The Ocean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is This Called The ''Indian Ocean''? by Rossnitti: 9:49pm On Feb 18, 2021

Why is this part of the earth's waters called the 'Indian Ocean'?

Is it that it was Indians who created the ocean, or is that the ocean only serves them, or what?

African Ocean is what that sea should be called because it touches a far greater land mass in Africa than in India.

Rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Why Is This Called The ''Indian Ocean''? by nairalandankrah: 10:00pm On Feb 18, 2021
Racism lives my brother
Re: Why Is This Called The ''Indian Ocean''? by Rossnitti: 10:16pm On Feb 18, 2021
nairalandankrah:
Racism lives my brother

Intriguing analysis.
Re: Why Is This Called The ''Indian Ocean''? by DontCough: 11:01pm On Feb 18, 2021
Rossnitti:

Why is this part of the earth's waters called the 'Indian Oce
Is it that it was Indians who created the ocean, or is that the ocean only serves them, or what?

African Ocean is what that sea should be called because it touches a far greater land mass in Africa than in India.

Rubbish.

Nice analysis.
But I see it this way the ocean is named Indian Ocean because almost half of India is surrounded by the Ocean.

Even though the Ocean touches more landmass in Africa than India, India is the Country the Ocean surrounds more than other Countries.

My own analysis.
Re: Why Is This Called The ''Indian Ocean''? by Nobody: 6:40am On Feb 19, 2021
Rossnitti:

Why is this part of the earth's waters called the 'Indian Ocean'?

Rubbish.

*Raising my hand*

How good are you at history, sir?

Just asking.
Re: Why Is This Called The ''Indian Ocean''? by Ge0grapher(m): 7:57am On Feb 19, 2021
Two main reasons

1. India holds a central position at the head of the ocean, plus the ocean surrounds about 65% of India...

2 In ancient times, this route was use mostly by the Indians to buy food and other agricultural produce from Africa. It was also used by the Indians for trade purposes with Eastern Asia .

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Most Cheap Route From Ogba To Ikoyi Club 1938 / Traveling To Abuja From Ibadan By Road. / Why Did You Stop Giving People A Lift In Your Car? Be Honest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.