Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN (1766 Views)

Wafa Sultan Aka GARBAGE MOUTH / Wafa Sultan The Bold Ex-Muslim Heroine / “don’t Call Boko Haram ‘islamic Militants” –sultan Pleads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by champredd(m): 6:30pm On Jul 05, 2007
Sultan’s comment inciting –CAN

JOHN SHIKLAM Kaduna

Secretary General of the Northern Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Elder Saidu Dogo yesterday said the recent statement credited to the Sultan of Sokoto and President general, Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III was capable of causing religious disharmony between Muslims and Christians in the country.

The Sultan had during a meeting of Northern emirs at the Arewa House in Kaduna last Monday expressed concern over the increasing missionary activities in the country and urged the JNI to take steps to counter the development.

However, the CAN scribe, while reacting to the Sultan’s viewpoint in an interview with Daily Champion yesterday in Kaduna said he was stupefied that such remark could come from a highly placed individual.

Mr. Dogo noted that while efforts were made by the past and present administration to forge inter-religious tolerance between Muslims and Christians, the Sultan could make such utterances.

Dogo declared that nobody in the country can stop the expansion of Christianity, stressing that it is a constitutional right for adherents of both religions to propagate their faith.

The Sultan’s statement he added was uncalled for since nobody stopped Muslims engaging in evangelization.

"The statement is unfortunate, coming from somebody who is highly placed like the Sultan. You see while the past and present governments have been trying to forge an inter-religious tolerance among us, this statement from the Sultan is very unfortunate.

"Nobody in this country can stop the expansion of Christianity. It is our constitutional right. It is our religious right. We do not stop Muslims from evangelizing if they like.

"For the Sultan to say they will counter Christian missionary activities in this country is unfortunate. I want to believe that he was misquoted, but if he was not misquoted, it is most unfortunate.

"But this is a clarion call for all our evangelists to put more efforts to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.

"Both Christians and Muslims have every right to evangelize. It is our prayer that there should be level playing field for all to propagate their different religions. There should not be any hindrance to that.

"I earnestly want to say again that if this statement comes from the Sultan, it is sad. He could have gone to say, look we must make more efforts to evangelise, we are not doing enough.

"But for him to make comparison with Christian missionary activities is wrong. We are not comparing with Islam.

"We have a clarion call by God to go to every nook and cranny of the world to evangelize and preach the gospel of Christ and that is what we are doing because it is our injunction.

"Such a statement can be misunderstood and create problems for us…," Elder Dogo declared.

It would be recalled that emirs from the North Monday converged on Kaduna where they expressed concern about the increasing activities of Christian evangelical organizations vowing to counter it by encouraging the spread of the Islam.

The Sultan who spoke on their behalf lamented the trend and implored JNI to play a leading role in upturning the development.

However, the Kaduna State governor, Alhaji. Namadi Sambo who also spoke called for caution, charging traditional rulers not to fall prey to beliefs canvassed by being exploited by religious extremist. He advised them to guide their subjects against religious extremism that might lead to unpleasant consequences on the polity.

http://odili.net/news/source/2007/jul/5/500.html
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by stimulus(m): 7:14pm On Jul 05, 2007
When a Sultan uses the word "counter", his almarijis and talakawas understand what he's calling for. We are too familiar now with pictures like this:

. . . and the Sultan's remarks are not far removed from the same ideas.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by Nobody: 6:24am On Jul 06, 2007
and someone accused me of whipping up ethnic sentiments!
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by nossycheek(f): 10:54am On Jul 06, 2007
Isaiah 54:15
Behold, they shall surely gather together, but not by me: whosoever shall gather together against thee shall fall for thy sake.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by champredd(m): 4:34pm On Jul 06, 2007
Ghaddafi is talking about US of Africa, when he and other North African Islamic (OIC) nations are sponsoring Islamic militancy and unrest across black African countries. He considers black people as fools and am surprised that some Black people (including those is diaspora) are supporting him. They should look at his antecedents before supporting him."

Back to topic, the sultan's statement is likely to be sponsored by OIC. And that is external interference in our internal affairs.  angry
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by redsun(m): 10:53am On Jul 08, 2007
What will happen if this motherfuckers start blowing themselves up in nigeria?We are such a scary and unorganise people,the whole country will collapse,there is a serious need for the country to remain secular.Religion should be an individual thing not a state issue.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by batu: 9:04pm On Jul 08, 2007
The Sultan had during a meeting of Northern emirs at the Arewa House in Kaduna last Monday expressed concern over the increasing missionary activities in the country and urged the JNI to take steps to counter the development.

@All,
This is very beautiful to be coming from the 'chief of the muhammedans' in Nigeria, the sultan himself. Why? It shows that our brothers and sisters in Christ are seriously harrasing the kingdom of darkness in the nation and the devil is in retreat. Jesus Christ has declared it that 'He will build the church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.' That promise paints a picture of a Church on the offensive against the gates of hell such as Islam, so do not be surprised if the sultan is getting sleepless night. Forget about the little fox (i.e. sultan), let's just continue to uphold the missionaries in northern nigeria, and in other muslim enclaves, in serious prayer; for the Lord God to continue opening the land to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Even the sultan himself will give his life to Jesus Christ. Praise the Lord.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by champredd(m): 4:23pm On Jul 10, 2007
I just hope and pray that they will not start another round of religious riots, because enemies of our nations always want that to happen, while they continue to exploit our resources on the sidelines undisturbed. That's one of OBJ achievements - violent protests were greatly reduced.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by pilgrim1(f): 6:16pm On Jul 10, 2007
One can't really express surprise at the Sultan's comments/remarks. Has anyone asked how exactly Muslims acting in the true spirit of Islam really hope that their religion could be spread? Look at the picture above - when Muslims use the word "conquer", please let no one mistake that for "tranquility".
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by champredd(m): 6:18pm On Jul 10, 2007
Abi o. They are acting like they are still in 16th century.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by belloti(m): 7:00pm On Jul 10, 2007
The sultan should be understood first. you guys are just carried away by sentiments.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by pilgrim1(f): 7:49pm On Jul 10, 2007
@belloti,

How many such remarks being Muslim leaders have produced "tranquil" results? I just simply want to know before I serve you a few of what you're pretending not to understand.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 10, 2007
belloti:

The sultan should be understood first. you guys are just carried away by sentiments.

For how long are we going to keep waiting to "understand"? What is hard to "understand" when the sultan "expresses concern" about the activities of missionaries and asks that muslim groups do something to COUNTER them?

Maybe we need to wait to undertand the meaning of "counter"?
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by champredd(m): 9:20am On Jul 11, 2007
Religious tolerance fostered - albeit forcefully - by OBJ could easily be erased by inciting comments usually made by Northern leaders.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by donnie(m): 10:16am On Jul 11, 2007
Give satan a step and he will take two.

They succeeded in getting the CAN to influence the government to stopping miracle programming. Now the same CAN is calling on tele- evengelists to intensify their work. How ironical. I guess they have learnt their lesson. Or do they intend to win the muslims with fineness of speach and theology, without power??
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by pilgrim1(f): 7:00pm On Jul 24, 2007
Politics in Nigeria is a strange phenomenon.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by belloti(m): 11:34am On Jul 25, 2007
Pilgrim and david, i want you to follow the sequence of events and the circumstances leading up to the maligned statement, you may probably discover the real issues behind the comment. Sultan is a very learned, disciplined and cautious gentleman. He speak with wisdom and that is very much needed to understand his statements.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by pilgrim1(f): 11:41am On Jul 25, 2007
Hi @belloti,

Thanks for your offer. Could you please walk me through the very thing you asked of me so we could understand you better? Also, would you be saying the same thing if a learned Christian made such remarks? smiley
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by batu: 12:09pm On Jul 25, 2007
belloti:

Pilgrim and david, i want you to follow the sequence of events and the circumstances leading up to the maligned statement, you may probably discover the real issues behind the comment. Sultan is a very learned, disciplined and cautious gentleman. He speak with wisdom and that is very much needed to understand his statements.

@pilgrim1,
God bless you oo, my sister. I thought the same thing when I read mallam belloti's mail about the "sequence of events and circumstances leading to the maligned statement" by the ignorant educated illitrate,,,,oops,,sorry, I mean the Sultan.
I will really like to know more about the sequnce of events, as if it is different from what is already known of all the occupiers of the seat of "spiritual leader of islam in Nigeria". Only an attempt at political correctness is what Belloti's post is,,,,,an attempt. The disciplined and learned sultan has consistently demostrated quite the opposite of discipline, sensibility and decorum since climbing the un-holy seat of his equally bereft forefathers-in-Islam. As an individual, may be he is smart and has some wisdom; but as an Islamic sultan, that is totally impossible!! And he has been proving it.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 25, 2007
belloti:

What "sequence of events" are we supposed to follow? After 47 yrs, experience has taught us to be wary of our necks whenever statements like this are made by otherwise "very learned, disciplined and cautious gentlemen" who only speak with "wisdom".
What are the circumstances that warrant the sultan openly advocating muslims groups countering the activities of missionaries? Did the missionaries steal the sultan's dansiki?
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by belloti(m): 11:36am On Jul 26, 2007
Guys, we are not getting anywhere with this kind of mindset. Both of us, i mean myself and your bunch have practically taken a one sided stance and openly too. The sultan is a religious leader for the nigerian muslims just like Onayekan or Mbang or Okogie. His statements most times are sort of admonishment and preaching for righteousness and spirit of brotherhood. He may suggest to muslim folks the need to spread the gospel of truth to our fellow brethren and dispell the fake and unholy messages laundered by the so called evangelists and doomsday missionaries. The sultan was clearly speaking to the muslims, his primary constituency.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by pilgrim1(f): 2:09pm On Jul 26, 2007
@belloti,

Oh gosh! grin

I asked a simple question, and you chose to lecture me away from my query. Haa!

belloti:

The sultan is a religious leader for the nigerian muslims just like Onayekan or Mbang or Okogie. His statements most times are sort of admonishment and preaching for righteousness and spirit of brotherhood.

Neither Onayekan or Mbang or Okogie would be misunderstood when "admonishing and preaching" on righteousness and the spirit of brotherhood. There's reason enough to seek to understand what you call "admonition" in the case of the Sultan - and that's what we're concerned about. We know how many "admonistions" have come through the lips of Muslim leaders and what they resulted in.

belloti:

He may suggest to muslim folks the need to spread the gospel of truth to our fellow brethren and dispell the fake and unholy messages laundered by the so called evangelists and doomsday missionaries. The sultan was clearly speaking to the muslims, his primary constituency.

You've just defined the spirit with which the Sultan wanted to pass his message - afterall you are part of his "primary constituency" as a Muslim, not so? Just imagine for a minute that a Christian leader would make such a statement about Islam and call your religion and its mullahs "fake and unholy messages". . . we know already what would be the typical Muslim response.

I hope the CCCA who are quick to pretend that no Muslim has ever sought to malign Christianity can now come over and applaud your gentle spirit.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by belloti(m): 10:08am On Jul 30, 2007
Pilgrim, na wa oh.

i am the victim now. can you see how we read each other even here?
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by pilgrim1(f): 6:02pm On Jul 30, 2007
belloti:

Pilgrim, na wa oh.

i am the victim now. can you see how we read each other even here?

Haba, alhaji belloti! I didn't try to make a victim out of you ké! grin I was just testing the waters where you're rowing your boat before you suffer any unexpected strong currents. grin
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by belloti(m): 10:44am On Jul 31, 2007
grin grin grin

Alas, here comes the friendly one.

However, i d love to stress here that, the sultan mean no harm to no one. He is suppose to navigate the ship and chart the course. He is speaking out for religious awakening in the most peaceful and reasonable way. We need to wake up before the evangelist take us off guard. But peacefully too
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by pilgrim1(f): 12:05pm On Jul 31, 2007
Oga belloti  grin

belloti:

However, i d love to stress here that, the sultan mean no harm to no one. He is suppose to navigate the ship and chart the course. He is speaking out for religious awakening in the most peaceful and reasonable way. We need to wake up before the evangelist take us off guard. But peacefully too

Hmmm. . I hope the ship no go steer off-course? Too many precious souls to holding on to dear life. . . and the Sultan should be held responsible if some 'chaps' decide to do things the awkward way. grin
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by hamabra(m): 12:42pm On Jul 31, 2007
We have to keep moving on while they try to meet up, for it has been said in the holy bible that who shall say it and it will come to pass if the lord has not commanded it, so let the sultan and all the demons put together cannot and will not stop the propagation of the gospel. JESUS IS LORD QED
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by belloti(m): 4:01pm On Aug 03, 2007
hamabra, you sound so boastful about your so-called faith. i wonder what else you do apart from the routine church rendezvous. Islam, in case you dont know, is the fastest growing religion on earth. its infact in the guiness book. so i really cant see where your excitement came from.

Pilgrim, hope you r catching the next flight for your pilgrimage to mecca grin . I pray to catch you there this holy year Insha Allah.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by pilgrim1(f): 8:22pm On Aug 03, 2007
Oga belloti, if you even send the most trained security force in the middle east to look for me, you no go see anybody wey resemble me. . . so lose hope before you start. How bodi? Me I dey kampe. grin
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by kunle75(m): 12:30pm On Jan 01, 2008
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM WHER THERE IS NO VISION PEOPLE CAST OFF RESTRAIN.another bible translation says,my people perished for lack of vision.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by fashionwomen: 6:09am On Sep 29, 2011
permanent hair extensions is not a brand new tresses type concept.As an alternative use Generating fusion hair that include critical ingredients that can help in wholesome tresses progress.You'll find various technical sides of the hair highlights for dark brown hair that are acknowledged to varied the tresses type authorities.You will find numerous technical sides from the layered hairstyles that are identified to numerous micro link hair extensions style authorities.
Re: Sultan’s Comment Inciting: CAN by fashionwomen: 6:12am On Sep 29, 2011
permanent hair extensions is not a brand new tresses type concept.As an alternative use Generating fusion hair that include critical ingredients that can help in wholesome tresses progress.You'll find various technical sides of the hair highlights for dark brown hair that are acknowledged to varied the tresses type authorities.You will find numerous technical sides from the layered hairstyles that are identified to numerous micro link hair extensions style authorities.

(1) (Reply)

One Man One Wife / What Will Happen, If I Dont Believe In Jesus? / What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.