Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:57 AM

The Order Of Melchizedek - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Order Of Melchizedek (4346 Views)

The Mystery Of Melchizedek Solved! / The Mystery Of Melchizedek Solved! / N'landers, Who Is Melchizedek As Described In Hebrew 7vs1-3? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Order Of Melchizedek by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:48pm On Apr 09, 2011
The Order of Melchizedek

"The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek." (Psalm 110:4)

The importance of this intriguing verse is indicated both by the fact that it is the central verse of a great Messianic Psalm (quoted at least 12 times in the New Testament) and also because this one verse constitutes one of the main themes of chapters 5-7 of Hebrews, where it is quoted no fewer than five times (Hebrews 5:6, 10; 6:20; 7:17, 21), and where Melchizedek himself is mentioned nine times.  It refers to the fascinating personage glimpsed briefly in Genesis 14:18-20.  Melchizedek (meaning "King of Righteousness"wink is said to have been "King of Salem" (or "Peace"), but there is no record, either in secular history or elsewhere in the Bible, that there ever was such a city or earthly king.  He was also called the "priest of the most high God" (Hebrews 7:1), and he suddenly appeared, then disappeared as suddenly as he had come.

Commentators mostly have assumed that Melchizedek was the chieftain of a small settlement of which we have no record, but this hardly does justice to the exalted descriptions of him in Scripture.  He was obviously greater than Abraham (Hebrews 7:4), as well as Aaron, the founder of the Levitical priesthood.  Furthermore, he was "without father, without mother, . . . having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually" (Hebrews 7:3).  Such language is hardly appropriate merely because no genealogy is recorded.

If one takes the Bible literally, such statements could be true only of God Himself, appearing briefly in the preincarnate state of the Second Person, as King of all peace and righteousness.  Now this same divine Person, "because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.  Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him" (Hebrews 7:24-25). HMM
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by Nobody: 2:54pm On Apr 09, 2011
obviously he needs to be studied more, since his appearance was of great significance.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by KunleOshob(m): 3:18pm On Apr 09, 2011
Pastor olaadegbu, as usual your theology is built on errors and assumptions, firstly too little is written or known about Melchizedek in the bible for you to attempt to write a dissertation on it, secondly 'salem' is an old name for jerusalem in the bible and not 'peace' this means melchizedek was king of Jerusalem and not King of Peace as you errornuosly tried to portray. If you are in doubt get a good bible concordance and check out the meaning of 'salem'
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by adonisgold: 3:40pm On Apr 09, 2011
Kunle, you seem to be the mis -informed person here. OP. has his thinking cap well positioned. When was Jerusalem founded? As at the time Melchizedek was 1st mentioned Israel was not yet a nation , not to talk of Jerusalem the capital. Get your facts right and think clearly before posting or attacking people who obviously have a better understanding of issues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by devayid(m): 8:48pm On Apr 09, 2011
KunleOshob:

Pastor olaadegbu, as usual your theology is built on errors and assumptions, firstly too little is written or known about Melchizedek in the bible for you to attempt to write a dissertation on it, secondly 'salem' is an old name for jerusalem in the bible and not 'peace' this means melchizedek was king of Jerusalem and not King of Peace as you errornuosly tried to portray. If you are in doubt get a good bible concordance and check out the meaning of 'salem'

@kunleosob,
OOLADEGBU is simply copying and pasting the theories of one man (Henry Morris). I don't think OOLADEGBU can actually think for himself anymore. He just believes anything that one man has written, whether it makes sense or not.

Ask him to explain, or challenge his "views" and all he will do is start searching round the internet for what someone else has written to copy and paste again.

As for this random post, I don't even get what its supposed to be about.

So according to Henry Morris (your infallible bible interpretor) melchizedek is God? Assuming this ridiculousness is true, what then? Do you have any idea how ridiculous and utterly insane all the rantings of this Henry Morris guy is?
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by devayid(m): 8:53pm On Apr 09, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melchizedek

I'm not going to copy and paste, anyone who's interested just read.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:04am On Apr 10, 2011
tpiah!:

obviously he needs to be studied more, since his appearance was of great significance.

You are quite right there. It will take painstaking studies and prayerfulness for the truth about Melchi to be revealed. I believe that there is more to this man than meets the eye.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:08am On Apr 10, 2011
adonisgold:

Kunle, you seem to be the mis -informed person here. OP. has his thinking cap well positioned. When was Jerusalem founded? As at the time Melchizedek was 1st mentioned Israel was not yet a nation , not to talk of Jerusalem the capital. Get your facts right and think clearly before posting or attacking people who obviously have a better understanding of issues.

I thank God for people like you who have an ear and heart for the truth. The Church has lost the art of discernment as they are now developing itching ears. May the good Lord continue to direct your paths.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:28am On Apr 10, 2011
@devayid,

You have not answered the questions I asked you on the other thread (Science confirms the Bible).  Do you believe in the infallibility and inerrancy of the Bible as well as the Deity of Christ?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-641356.0.html
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by Nobody: 4:45am On Apr 10, 2011
Melchizedek was/is the same person as our Lord Jesus Christ. No other person fits that profile.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by devayid(m): 9:31am On Apr 10, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

@devayid,

You have not answered the questions I asked you on the other thread (Science confirms the Bible).  Do you believe in the infallibility and inerrancy of the Bible as well as the Deity of Christ?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-641356.0.html

You have not actually said anything nor have you responded to me.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-641356.32.html#msg8081655
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:55am On Apr 10, 2011
devayid:

You have not actually said anything nor have you responded to me.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-641356.32.html#msg8081655

Since you would not or could not answer those questions, could you at least tell us who you think Melchizedek is, since you can think by yourself?
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by devayid(m): 10:09am On Apr 10, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Since you would not or could not answer those questions, could you at least tell us who you think Melchizedek is, since you can think by yourself?

Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:24pm On Apr 10, 2011
I wonder what keeps these atheists with multiple id's coming to these threads like moths is attracted to fire?

"The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek." (Psalm 110:4)

The order of Melchizedek is quoted specifically three times in the book of Hebrews, and expounded throughout chapter 7, showing the eternal priesthood of Christ.  Melchizedek is mentioned elsewhere only in Genesis 14:18-20, and is identified only as the "priest of the Most High God," pronouncing God’s blessing on Abraham.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by KunleOshob(m): 6:28pm On Apr 10, 2011
@adonis/ ignorant olaadedegbu
I specifically referenced any good bible concordance to get the true biblical meaning of 'salem' instead of the ill informed definition that olaadegbu ignorantly assumed. Until you verify the biblical meaning of the word 'salem' from a credible source please keep your arrogant expression of ignorance to yourself.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by Zikkyy(m): 6:41pm On Apr 10, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

[size=14pt]If one takes the Bible literally, such statements could be true only of God Himself, appearing briefly in the preincarnate state of the Second Person, as King of all peace and righteousness. Now this same divine Person,[/size] "because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him" (Hebrews 7:24-25). HMM

Mr. OLAADEGBU, how did you arrive at this conclusion angry Even the writer of the Hebrew letter did not see Melchi as Christ 'in the preincarnate state', and i am very sure he was better informed.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by Joagbaje(m): 7:05pm On Apr 10, 2011
Hebrews 7:2
2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by Zikkyy(m): 7:22pm On Apr 10, 2011
Zikkyy:

Even the writer of the Hebrew letter did not see Melchi as Christ 'in the preincarnate state', and i am very sure he was better informed.

Joagbaje:

Hebrews 7:2
2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;

I am afraid you have to do better to be convincing smiley This not saying melchi and christ are one and same.

Also consider the following:

Verse 11 (KJV)
11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

Verse 15
15And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

Verse 17
17For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by adonisgold: 6:14am On Apr 11, 2011
KunleOshob:

I specifically referenced any good bible concordance to get the true biblical meaning of 'salem' instead of the ill informed definition that olaadegbu ignorantly assumed. Until you verify the biblical meaning of the word 'salem' from a credible source please keep your arrogant expression of ignorance to yourself.
KunleOshob:

I dont know how to explain to u! Its like u just heard the word ''concordance''.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:03pm On Apr 11, 2011
adonisgold:

I dont know how to explain to u! Its like u just heard the word ''concordance''.

I would suggest that you don't waste your time responding to those whose point of reference is not from the Bible, they don't even take their authority from the Bible but from secular sources such as Wikipedia and others.  They don't even know the difference between a Bible concordance and a Bible dictionary.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by GreyBeard: 4:17pm On Apr 12, 2011
The scare references to Melchizedek in the Bible make it impossible to get anywhere near a proper understanding of who he was.

Anyone serious about finding out more details of Melchizedek will need to look into reliable sources outside the Bible and a good place to start is The Book of Enoch.

In The Book of Enoch we find references to who Melchizedek was and what it was that made him such a revered High Priest of God.

Although the Book of Enoch isn't in the mainstream Christian Bible, it has always formed part of some Bibles like the Ethiopic Bible and it revered as an "inspired" apocryphal book.

Just my 2 kobo   smiley
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by KunleOshob(m): 4:22pm On Apr 12, 2011
@greybeard

Nice contribution, only problem is that some zombies don't believe it is possible to get any credible information outside the bible canonized by the catholic church and later reviewed by martin luther
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by dare2think: 4:27pm On Apr 12, 2011
KunleOshob:

@greybeard

Nice contribution, only problem is that some zombies don't believe it is possible to get any credible information outside the bible canonized by the catholic church and later reviewed by martin luther

Dude, i doubt if any of these guys know who martin luther was, they just follow what the pastors feeds them. Zombies in deed.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by wetu: 10:00pm On Apr 12, 2011
When was Jerusalem called Salem? It might be the same area, can't say. But when the children of Israel came, it was Jebus of the Jebusites:

Jdg 19:10 But the man would not tarry that night, but he rose up and departed, and came over against Jebus, which is Jerusalem; and there were with him two asses saddled, his concubine also was with him.

Jos 15:63 As for the Jebusites the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the children of Judah could not drive them out: but the Jebusites dwell with the children of Judah at Jerusalem unto this day.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by Nobody: 2:38am On Apr 13, 2011
Grey Beard:

The scare references to Melchizedek in the Bible make it impossible to get anywhere near a proper understanding of who he was.

Anyone serious about finding out more details of Melchizedek will need to look into reliable sources outside the Bible and a good place to start is The Book of Enoch.

In The Book of Enoch we find references to who Melchizedek was and what it was that made him such a revered High Priest of God.

Although the Book of Enoch isn't in the mainstream Christian Bible, it has always formed part of some Bibles like the Ethiopic Bible and it revered as an "inspired" apocryphal book.

Just my 2 kobo smiley

you're so anti-christian.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by Snowwy: 7:16am On Apr 13, 2011
Grey Beard:

Just my 2 kobo   smiley

KunleOshob:

@greybeard

dare2think:

Dude, i doubt if any of these guys know who martin luther was, they just follow what the pastors feeds them. Zombies in deed.

And to think one bothered to expound the scriptures to them. Now it is known where they get their 'logic' from.
It's better to be a zombie for the bible and the Holy Spirit than be a follower of your 'books'. I wonder why they even quote the bible at all?
Pity!
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by GreyBeard: 2:57pm On Apr 13, 2011
tpiah!:

you're so anti-christian.

What makes you say that?
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by GreyBeard: 3:07pm On Apr 13, 2011
Snowwy:

And to think one bothered to expound the scriptures to them. Now it is known where they get their 'logic' from.
It's better to be a zombie for the bible and the Holy Spirit than be a follower of your 'books'. I wonder why they even quote the bible at all?
Pity!

@Snowwy
What exactly are you trying to say here? Are you suggesting that any books outside of the Bible compilation is not to be read? If you are then that is ignorant on so many levels. If you think the Bible is the only book that can give you knowledge then that means you have never read a textbook in your life.

Besides, what do you know about the history of the books of the Bible? What do you know about the Book of Enoch and its relations with the other books of the Old Testament?
Do you even know who Enoch was?

"My People are dying from lack of knowledge"
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:20am On Apr 14, 2011
Grey Beard:

@Snowwy
What exactly are you trying to say here? Are you suggesting that any books outside of the Bible compilation is not to be read? If you are then that is ignorant on so many levels. If you think the Bible is the only book that can give you knowledge then that means you have never read a textbook in your life.

Besides, what do you know about the history of the books of the Bible? What do you know about the Book of Enoch and its relations with the other books of the Old Testament?

What we are saying is that it is only the 66 books of the Bible that is "God breathed" and is where all genuine Christians get their authority from.  All other unbiblical books such as the "apocrypha books" should be taken with a pinch of salt, if you know what I mean.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by Snowwy: 6:26am On Apr 14, 2011
Grey Beard:

@Snowwy

Greybeard,
No need for argument. If the 66 books of the bible are not sufficiently inspired for you and you prefer to get your 'knowledge' from apocryphal books (not even accepted by the jews as they were entrusted with the very words of God-Romans 3:2), then its understandable how you even study the known bible. No need to relate it to a textbook as that is not the context of this discussion.
We understand why the bible (with no known quote from your 'literature') is no longer enough for you since you have become 'wiser' in your own sight.
I am inspired with the God-inspired books of the bible through the Holy Spirit and if that is what you call 'ignorance', so be it. wink
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by Joagbaje(m): 6:51am On Apr 14, 2011
@Greybeard

We can read any book , the book by Josephus gave some lights historically for example. But one has to be careful about books that are contrary to the bible .As we know, it is the oldest book in human history and yet more current then tommorow newspaper.

@kunleoshob
Insert Quote
@greybear

The old testament was already canonised before Jesus was born. If there had been a major problem with that Jesus would
Have been God enough to point it out for us. The new testament was the part that was canonised by church fathers.
Re: The Order Of Melchizedek by KunleOshob(m): 9:31am On Apr 14, 2011
@pastor joe
That is the problem with you penterascal preachers, your theology is soooo poor and twisted. The Old testament was not cannonized till between the year 90AD and the year 100AD long after the death, resurrection and ascension of christ. That aside the book of enoch was one of the scriptures used by the early church, Paul made a reference to it in one of his letters

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Experts In Nigeria Agrees That Covid 19 Is Fiasco / Yookos Christian Who Smoke W E E D / Reasons Why Atheist Are Confused People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.