Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Independence Was A Mistake? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Independence Was A Mistake? (2401 Views)

Poll: Independence, a mistake?

I agree: 50% (5 votes)
I Disagree: 50% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Fielding Jonathan, A Mistake – Dr. Raymond Dokpesi / The Mistake Tinubu Made In The APC Marriage – Adebanjo - From Vanguard / Nigerians Blast Zahra Buhari For Making Mistake While Defending Her Dad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Independence Was A Mistake? by Vicjustice: 7:29pm On Jul 05, 2007
embarassed
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by McKren(m): 7:33pm On Jul 05, 2007
Unacceptable as your write up may seem, I also hold the view that our leaders have done more harm to us than the British did.
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by Mamajama(m): 7:43pm On Jul 05, 2007
Vicjustice if you remember the definition of freedom, you have freedom of the press, association, and freedom of speech. if we are still under the so called masters, you will be in jail for even trying to use the internet to post this topic. you have no constitutional right. lets not compare liberation to corruption, just like McKren said, we have bad leaders that made bad decision for us. we are experiencing the adverse impact effect of their actions.
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by GNature(m): 11:40am On Jul 06, 2007
Well said McKren & Mamajama
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by desgiezd(m): 12:02pm On Jul 06, 2007
What Nigeria needs is another form of independence from her so called leaders and the "mafia" that has held the country hostage since the first military coup and keep passing the baton of leadership among themselves.
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by Seun(m): 12:07pm On Jul 06, 2007
Our independence was not a mistake. It was an illusion. We simply replaced white oppressors with black ones. smiley
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by angel101(f): 12:12pm On Jul 06, 2007
If we could fight the first ones, we can these too.
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by jesusfreak(f): 12:25pm On Jul 06, 2007
sometimes i feel that we need to be free from our very own selves, the chains that hold us bound are too numerous to count

lack of patriotism

corruption

bad leadership

bad followership

indiscipline

hatred

anger

non-chalancy

filth

we all need to change!
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by needeeg(m): 12:38pm On Jul 06, 2007
And how can this be change if i may ask, when the poors stil contributing!
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by denex: 12:41pm On Jul 06, 2007
For those of you who believe that Independence was a mistake, you're not wrong. It was a mistake.

When the British decided to become independent of Nigerian resources, they did not realise how much they were leaving behind. When you hear independence, you guys always think its us that became independent. Who was dependent in the first place?

Who was dependent on palm oil?
Who was dependent on groundnuts?
Who was dependent on coal?
Who was dependent on cocoa?

Now Nigeria also has massive crude oil deposits and also much demanded Cassava. You can always invite Britain back to become dependent on our resources again. I'm sure they won't mind too much.

So let's start a petition on the net. I think if a substantial number of Nigerians can endorse it, we're back in business.
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by darfur(m): 12:50pm On Jul 06, 2007
if the british were still here, may be we would have good roads, good schools, democracy etc but how would we the original black naijans benefit from those?

the same way black south africans benefited from their own good roads, education etc. think am

abeg make dem waka go jare.
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by Beline(f): 1:19pm On Jul 06, 2007
Independence was not a mistake, the only mistake we are making is by allowing the so called leaders to rotate the mantle of leadership among themselves
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by naijaway(m): 1:39pm On Jul 08, 2007
well said beline.

1 Like

Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by ThoniaSlim(f): 2:38pm On Jul 08, 2007
@ Beline
Abi ohhh.

me am also tired of seeing all these greedy politicians who just take a vacation from government and come back once they are through with their vacation. meanwhile when they are on their vacation. they have people who act for them. i just don't know why they are so greedy and selfish. make dem allow us see new faces haba. angry
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by denex: 2:47pm On Jul 08, 2007
@dafur

if the british were still here, there would be good roads and good railway systems but the roads and the rails would only run from where raw materials are mined to the ports from which they would be shipped out of the country. You think a Benin-Ore road would even exist? Do they care if you want to visit your friends.

There would be good schools but they would only teach us how to farm groundnuts, palm trees, cocoa and rubber. Then maybe diploma courses on how to mine coal and drill for oil. You think they would teach you International Studies and Diplomacy? I'm even sure there would have been a course like Manual Labour and Servitude. Think of it. MLS 101.

There would have been a very large worldclass airport in Kano for airlifting groundnuts and leather. Because it would be time consuming and a waste of fund to first transport them by rail to the ports before shipping. There would be no local airports only heliports. For transporting british expatriates from one work site to another. Any native who as much as touches the tail blade of a helicopter would be shot dead on the spot.

However, where I don't agree with you my dear dafur, is where you said there would be democracy. There cannot be democracy in a colonial rule. Maybe you should go back in history and check. Did we really vote in Lord Lugard? Did he distribute campaign posters or erect billboards? No my brother, there will be no democracy!
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by oberon(m): 5:15pm On Jul 08, 2007
NO!NO!NO! I totally disagree a people deserve the kind of government they get we as a people have allowed all manner of ethnic,religious, and tribal sentiments to cloud our senses that is why we are so divided we all rejoice when "one of ours" gets appointed into office and roll out a red carpet reception with chieftaincy titles to boot ala Ehindero,when he returns/is relieved of his appointment,can anybody from Ehinderos clan say in all honesty that he/she feels alot safer after the tenure of their shon of the shoil?That is the crux of the matter the British left along time ago we should get our act together elect or support those that can lead us well regardless of where they come from
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by denex: 5:24pm On Jul 08, 2007
Thank you there. Nigerians don't want to agree that their leaders are sourced from among them. They believe these their leaders are imported from Mars.
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by denex: 5:25pm On Jul 08, 2007
Thank you there. Nigerians don't want to agree that their leaders are sourced from among them. They believe these their leaders are imported from Mars.
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by MILITIA(f): 6:45pm On Jul 08, 2007
Make I no for spoil this fine thread with vex, since na Sunday today I will only keep scores!  Let me go and count.  Will be right back with results!  Results will be rendered as Yes, No and Neutral! cool

Independence as a mistake!

Vicjustice
Desgiezd
Darfur
Jesus Freak
Denex
MILITIA

Independence not a Mistake!
MAMAJAMA
Beline
Naijaway
ThoniaSlim

Neutral Corner!
(Those who directly or indirectly avoided the question and chose another interpretation of the topic)  The politically correct group!
Angel101
Mckren
Seun
Needeeg
GNature
Oberon.

If you are in the wrong corner by mistake, please reclarify you stance oh! This is my own impartial observation.  As you can see we have more "patriots" than "traitors"! grin
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by angel101(f): 12:06pm On Jul 09, 2007
lol!!!
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by jesusfreak(f): 12:22pm On Jul 09, 2007
MILITIA:

Make I no for spoil this fine thread with vex, since na Sunday today I will only keep scores! Let me go and count. Will be right back with results! Results will be rendered as Yes, No and Neutral! cool

Independence as a mistake!

Vicjustice
Desgiezd
Darfur
Jesus Freak
Denex
MILITIA

Independence not a Mistake!
MAMAJAMA
Beline
Naijaway
ThoniaSlim

Neutral Corner!
(Those who directly or indirectly avoided the question and chose another interpretation of the topic) The politically correct group!
Angel101
Mckren
Seun
Needeeg
GNature
Oberon.

If you are in the wrong corner by mistake, please reclarify you stance oh! This is my own impartial observation. As you can see we have more "patriots" than "traitors"! grin

yada yada yada
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by denex: 12:39pm On Jul 09, 2007
@MILITIA

Yes I'm in the right corner O! Independence was the biggest mistake the British ever made.

But like I said, it is not too late for us to help them undo that mistake. We can start signing a petition online. When we have obtained 3 million signatories, that's 60% of Nigerian internet users and that sample population is enough to represent the entire Nigerian population.

So when we have the required number, we send it to Gordon Brown and wait while the british house debates upon it. The only thing is that I wish Lord Lugard could come back. Now that was a man with an Iron Hand.

I miss colonialism. If we were still under colonial rule, it would have been us in Iraq fighting the insurgents. And I don't think it'd be necessary to give us body armour, humvees or land rovers.

O why? Why did Azikiwe and his gang have to come with their big mouths and ruin everything?! Why! Why!! Why!!!
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by MILITIA(f): 2:12am On Jul 10, 2007
denex:

@MILITIA

Yes I'm in the right corner O! Independence was the biggest mistake the British ever made.

But like I said, it is not too late for us to help them undo that mistake. We can start signing a petition online. When we have obtained 3 million signatories, that's 60% of Nigerian internet users and that sample population is enough to represent the entire Nigerian population.

So when we have the required number, we send it to Gordon Brown and wait while the british house debates upon it. The only thing is that I wish Lord Lugard could come back. Now that was a man with an Iron Hand.

I miss colonialism. If we were still under colonial rule, it would have been us in Iraq fighting the insurgents. And I don't think it'd be necessary to give us body armour, humvees or land rovers.

O why? Why did Azikiwe and his gang have to come with their big mouths and ruin everything?! Why! Why!! Why!!!

he he he he he he he he he he he he he---hiccups, hic! hic! hic! I laff so tey hiccups catch me! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
You go broda denex oh. I did not want to say much but you said it all! Nigeria has not moved an inch forward but light years behind after the "shuku shuku" wig masters left oh! If I dared typed such nostalgic sentiments, even inactive members would re-activate their corpses and call for my blood and banishment from Nairaland. Where is my love 9ja4eva? I miss you oh and our midnight romance! grin

But come oh denex? Where you "alive" during colonialism? shocked
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by JustGood(m): 9:52am On Jul 10, 2007
This militia no get the gist of denex post sha

na wa oh
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by denex: 10:30am On Jul 10, 2007
@MILITIA

I was not alive then but the way our parents talk about "the good old days" I miss 'em.

Those good old days when our grandfathers were taken to eight in World War II without even knowing how the war concerned them. Oh I want to go back.

@JustGood

no bother yourself. There people never know the meaning of colonialism. Maybe during that time, we can discuss resource control. Or Niger-Delta militants will have mouth to talk to a white man without calling him Master, let alone foster ideas of kidnap.
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by MILITIA(f): 12:16am On Jul 11, 2007
JustGood:

This militia no get the gist of denex post sha

na wa oh

Abeg jist me so I go get am! grin
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by laudate: 12:50pm On Jul 11, 2007
Er, correct me if am wrong, but I do believe denex was being sarcastic. cool
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by MILITIA(f): 2:00pm On Jul 11, 2007
You think so?  He sounded very convincing to me oh! grin  I guess he was "writing" my mind!  Anyway, he wrote that he is in the right corner so I cannot "disrespect" him by moving his name to another colunm.  You are free to make up your own list! wink
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by denex: 7:14pm On Jul 11, 2007
@laudate & MILITIA

Saka-stick abi Musiliu-stick, if You are queen lizzy and you believed that you have ripped off as much resources as you can from Nigeria and finally declare yourself independent, by the time the country starts producing 2 million barrels of crude oil per day, will you not realise that you made a mistake?

The topic asks if independence was a mistake. And I said yes. britain's decision to become independent of Nigeria is one of the biggest mistakes lizzy ever made.

Now look at Ghana. It was the Gold Coast before. When the british mined the last ounce of gold, the place had to be renamed GHANA. Which means "e don finish". But look at them now. They've discovered the black gold too. So that is the second big mistake that lizzy made.

So all in all, I still maintain that am in the right corner.

INDEPENDENCE WAS A MISTAKE!
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by MILITIA(f): 7:46pm On Jul 11, 2007
Reverse psychology abi? grin I get you now! No vex sir!
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by denex: 8:00pm On Jul 11, 2007
Are you serious? Is that what they call reverse psychology? Because I never taught I could pull it off.

However, MILITIA I'm not joking or trying to sound smart when I say it wasn't us but the British who got independence in 1960. We got freedom, but the British got independence.

You're dependent when you stay in your parents house, use their car and recieve pocket money and free food.

So think about it, during the period of dependence, which nation provided accommodation, which nation repatriated taxes to the other, which country supplied food and resources to the other. So please, let's not allow them use language to deceive us. We never became independent because we never were dependent. We got FREEDOM.
Re: Independence Was A Mistake? by ArmedLion(m): 3:03pm On Jul 24, 2007
independence was never a mistake, but in the real sense, nigeria is not truly independent yet, i cant say that the independence was a mistake

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra Will Be The Most Corrupt Country In The World If Created. / Middle Belt And Northern Nigeria / Buhari Incited Kaduna Bombing - CHAIN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.