Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,691 members, 7,862,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:14 AM

Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass (2312 Views)

NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele / 2015 Presidential Election - Prediction Of The Outcome II / Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by Nobody: 10:51pm On Apr 09, 2011
Thank God for Fayemi and Fashola for giving ACN a name this year cheesy

Quote me, eni to ba ni ori o n ko pe.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by EkoIle1: 12:06am On Apr 10, 2011
Sky Blue:

Are all allegations of corruption and other such charges including cases pending in the US against Tinubu false? Or do you simply expect me to close my eyes to all that and blindly swallow what you have just posited? Since when did fighting the Federal Government become equivalent to sainthood and progressivism? If that is the case shouldn't Nigerians have flung their arms open to embrace Atiku? PDP also has "progressive" legislators too so please sing a different tune.

If most accounts are to be believed then what is happening today is a good thing in my opinion, because at least it shows Nigerians having some sort of power to hold their leaders to account. But please, let us not go over the top with this ACN thing. They are not the best thing since sliced bread. I personally believe we could be on the dawn of progress simply because (going by what could happen in the next 24hours), elected public servers would have to start taking the electorate a bit more seriously because we can throw them out at the polls. Surely that and the balance of power in the legislature is a good thing, isn't it?

What cases are you talking about? The one Tinubu himself has been daring the useless and incompetent government to prove for 12 years that they still can not prove?

How many years do you need to prove anything against him and lock him up?

Btw, what's the allegation? operating accounts outside Nigeria? It's not like he stole public funds like the crooks and convicts parading themselves around GEG and within the PDP. Even if he did operated accounts outside Nigeria, do you need a million years to prove such a basic case?

Also, what allegations are pending in the US? Do you mind listing them or showing us the dockets? 

You are free to have your sleepless nights and turn Tinubu into your favorite mythical fugure, but all these Tinubu boogey man nonsense is played out, even his main enemies have nothing on him and can not prove anything because it's all trumped up.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by ektbear: 12:08am On Apr 10, 2011
Sky Blue is a bit of a m.oron if he is referencing some "pending" US charges.

Which charges? The case settled already in the 90s is still pending? In 2011?

A man who comes and goes as he pleases to the US still has charges pending? Please, keep silent rather than confirming your ignorance.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by EkoIle1: 12:26am On Apr 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Sky Blue is a bit of a m.oron if he is referencing some "pending" US charges.

Which charges? The case settled already in the 90s is still pending? In 2011?

A man who comes and goes as he pleases to the US still has charges pending? Please, keep silent rather than confirming your ignorance.

I just wonder what's next. Maybe Tinubu is a fugitive. Ignorant people and ignorant statements,
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by jmaine: 6:14am On Apr 10, 2011
[size=14pt]SKY BLUE DEY YARN CORRECT JARE . . MAKE UNA FREE AM [/size], Bros ride on with your non partisan objective posts.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by jensinmi(m): 7:01am On Apr 10, 2011
Sky Blue may be a lot of things, he certainly is not foolish. He does have his points.

ACN is not the next best thing since sliced bread.

ACN has risen on the popularity of Babatunde Raji Fashola.

ACN is currently The Tinubu Show. Bola Tinubu is considered god by a lot of people in the ACN.

Absolute power began corrupting Tinubu long time ago.

Very few Nigerians will tell you that Tinubu is a honest man. Yeah,  Tinubu fought the federal government. TRUE. But here's my question:

IS THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY MY ENEMY, OR MY FRIEND

To the person listing Mamora and a few others as part of ACN achievements, Is it not the same Mamora and others like Sosan that were prevented by Tinubu and friends from going back to their positions to impart the same change they have been known for??

Let us call a spade a spade. Tinubu is out to make money, and gain power for himself. He's not doing all this for the benefit of the average nigerian.

Very soon,  we'll be screaming . . . . . ACN -SHARE THE MONEY!!!
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by Justcash(m): 7:17am On Apr 10, 2011
With the results that I'm seeing, if there is any party that will be the majority in the house other than PDP, it will be CPC. They buried PDP in the whole of the North. Except ACN sweeps lots of votes in the SS and SE, being the majority is a real tall dream for them. Numerical strength is the key.
Even, ACN is yet to win in Anambra, but some fools are already taunting Igbos for voting for ACN.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by dayokanu(m): 7:41am On Apr 10, 2011
Fair enough he got in just late November and Fayemi last October. So my question goes, when people shout "ACN is progressive" "ACN is progressive", whose performance are they rating or linking such declarations to if Fayemi and Aregbesola just got there late last year and whose tenures by your postulations might be too early to pass a verdict on? If it is not Fashola then who is it please? So please spare us. When I think ACN I think Tinubu.

For one, Aregbe and Fayemi are still under 6 months at their jobs.

Aregbe has already providd jobs for 20,000 citizens of the state which is a step in the right direction because if we ask, They would be paid at least minimum wage of about 10k which amounts to 200m per month.

Ask where was the 200m per month going to under the PDP led Oyinlola. Aregbe is already a movement in the right direction.

Think Tinubu as the face of ACN which is a good thing because It was Tinubu who notably stood up to the OBJ-PDP oppression on all when others were content with the garrison OBJ rule So Tinubu is good for us as a voice against oppression of the PDP

PDP wanted in the US? Since when? over 15yrs ago and he frequents the US like anything? Even if you are trying to discredit someone why dont you take the pain to come up with something concrete and reasonable
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 10, 2011
i laugh when i hear gej dunces blather about investigating tinubu

this is from wikipedia

Bola Ahmed Adekunle Tinubu was born on 29 March 1952 in the city of Lagos. He attended St. John's Primary School, Aroloya, Lagos and Children's Home School in Ibadan. Tinubu went to the United States in 1975, where he studied first at Richard J. Daley College in Chicago, Illinois and then at Chicago State University. He graduated in 1979 with a Bachelors of Science degree in Accounting.[1]

Tinubu worked for American companies Arthur Andersen, Deloitte, Haskins, & Sells, and GTE Services Corporation.[2] After returning to Nigeria in 1983 Bola Tunubu obtained work with Mobil Oil Nigeria, becoming an executive of the company.[3]

the dude is a trained accountant who has worked in serveral world class organisations - at the peak of his career, he was treasurer in mobil

if indeed he is a thief etal, it is not the pdp appointment by paddy paddy dunces that will cage him

you think if tinubu is chopping it is the daft bode george contract inflation style

y'all need to wake up the morning the year before if you're serious about making any cases against him tongue
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by SkyBlue1: 10:04am On Apr 10, 2011
dayokanu:

For one, Aregbe and Fayemi are still under 6 months at their jobs.

Aregbe has already providd jobs for 20,000 citizens of the state which is a step in the right direction because if we ask, They would be paid at least minimum wage of about 10k which amounts to 200m per month.

Ask where was the 200m per month going to under the PDP led Oyinlola. Aregbe is already a movement in the right direction.

Think Tinubu as the face of ACN which is a good thing because It was Tinubu who notably stood up to the OBJ-PDP oppression on all when others were content with the garrison OBJ rule So Tinubu is good for us as a voice against oppression of the PDP

PDP wanted in the US? Since when? over 15yrs ago and he frequents the US like anything? Even if you are trying to discredit someone why dont you take the pain to come up with something concrete and reasonable

Apologies with regards to using the words "pending" since you are right, it is a concluded case, I should have just used the word ex convict since I was quite familiar with the allegations when there was the uproar against him. He is an ex convict in the states the same way Ibori is an ex convict in the UK.
http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=448&z=12
http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/bola-tinubus-heroin-tainted-assets-forfeiture-judgement
http://www.thisdayonline.com/archive/2003/02/02/20030202cov02.html

Or are those different Tinubu's?

Now to return to your other points raised. No need beating round the bush because you have already said they have only been there for under six months and are "moving in the right direction", like many other governors who started well but ended badly did. So when we hear "ACN is progressive", you are telling me it is because of Aregbe's 20,000 jobs and not because of Fashola's transformation of Lagos state? A bit disenginuous to make that claim, don't you think? ACN is seen as "progressive" today because of Fashola. There are other non ACN govenors also doing quite well in other states so please spare us this rewritting. ACN has only four governors on ground. Two of those have been in power less than six months and hence it would be a bit too early to start judging their performance. People are still waiting for Oshiomole (who had the large civil society support) to transform his state. So what are you talking about?
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by suwailad(f): 10:55am On Apr 10, 2011
@Sky blue

I dont know what you mean but if you go to Edo state, see what Oshiomohole has done. Even in 2012, edo citizens say they wont vote, that they would rather just 'Install' Oshiomhole again. People are just insulting PDP all over Edo state.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by SkyBlue1: 11:09am On Apr 10, 2011
suwailad:

@Sky blue

I dont know what you mean but if you go to Edo state, see what Oshiomohole has done. Even in 2012, edo citizens say they wont vote, that they would rather just 'Install' Oshiomhole again. People are just insulting PDP all over Edo state.

When I think of the very few list of performing governors in terms of solid accomplishments and massive infrastructural rehabilitation Oshiomole doesn't come to mind. Fashola, Amaechi and Chime yes. Oshiomole might belong to the second tier if you will, but not amond the trend setters in governance. His works is known mainly to people in Edo and hardly beyond there. Him ,winning would most likely be because of people being fed up of PDP and few credible oppositions to his 'ideas' and candidacy, right or wrong?
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by ektbear: 5:18pm On Apr 10, 2011
Sky Blue:

Apologies with regards to using the words "pending" since you are right, it is a concluded case, I should have just used the word ex convict since I was quite familiar with the allegations when there was the uproar against him. He is an ex convict in the states the same way Ibori is an ex convict in the UK.

You don't know what the word convict means. How can one be a convict if the case was settled? He was INDICTED (i.e., accused of committing a crime), yes. But he was never CONVICTED (judged guilty of commiting the crime.) Two completely different things.

It honestly pains me that you speak so authoritatively about a matter you know nothing about.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by dayokanu(m): 5:31pm On Apr 10, 2011
Sky Blue:

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/bola-tinubus-heroin-tainted-assets-forfeiture-judgement
http://www.thisdayonline.com/archive/2003/02/02/20030202cov02.html

Or are those different Tinubu's??

Can you define what an ex convict is and how Tinubu fits an ex-con profile. See ektbears response above.

Now to return to your other points raised. No need beating round the bush because you have already said they have only been there for under six months and are "moving in the right direction", like many other governors who started well but ended badly did. So when we hear "ACN is progressive", you are telling me it is because of Aregbe's 20,000 jobs and not because of Fashola's transformation of Lagos state? A bit disenginuous to make that claim, don't you think? ACN is seen as "progressive" today because of Fashola. There are other non ACN govenors also doing quite well in other states so please spare us this rewritting. ACN has only four governors on ground. Two of those have been in power less than six months and hence it would be a bit too early to start judging their performance. People are still waiting for Oshiomole (who had the large civil society support) to transform his state. So what are you talking about

They have been there for 6months and ppl already see positive movements from them.

ACN being tagged as progressives comes from Tinubu days where he battled against the PDP-OBJ domination.

When ppl call ACN a party of progressives in the current dispensation its due to the good works of Fashola and Oshiomole plus the strong note on which Aregbe and Fayemi started.

A governor rolls out 20,000 jobs out of the blues in Osun state which has been under the PDP cosh for 8yrs. Ppl aint stupid, they recognize a performer when they see one
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by SkyBlue1: 9:37pm On Apr 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

You don't know what the word convict means. How can one be a convict if the case was settled? He was INDICTED (i.e., accused of committing a crime), yes. But he was never CONVICTED (judged guilty of commiting the crime.) Two completely different things.

It honestly pains me that you speak so authoritatively about a matter you know nothing about.

I would rather we don't veer of course but bring this back to the point. I was making an indictment on Tinubu's character which I claimed questionable. Now let us tie it to the court case and documents obtained in 2008 (which I had earlier presented some links to). Tinubu was not convicted of a crime yes, the case was settled and what was the result?

Some Case info:

The United States of America, by its attorney, Michael J. Shepard, United States Attorney for Northern District of Illinois, for its verified complaint of forfeiture, states as follows:

1. This is a FORFEITURE action under 21 U.S.C , ss88 and 18, ss 981,
2. The DEFENDANT funds are located in the above-described accounts and were SEIZED pursuant to PROCESS ISSUED BY THIS COURT,
4,  beginning as early as 1998, Adegboyega Mueez Akande, WITH OTHERS OPERATED a organiszation (sic) which DISTRIBUTED WHITE HEROIN, a controlled substance under Title 21 of the United States Code.
5,  this DISTRIBUTION OPERATION was conducted on a LARGE SCALE and the PROCEEDS of the operation SUBSTANTIAL. The defendant funds represent proceeds of this OPERATION of property involved in MONEY LAUNDERING.
6,  the defendant funds represent  proceeds of NARCOTICS TRAFFICKING ,  and ,  MONEY LAUNDERING,  the funds are therefore FOREFEITABLE to the United States,

JUDGEMENT:
j,  Neither a claim nor answer has been filed on behalf of the defendant funds ,  accordingly, it hereby
ORDERED that the funds in the AMOUNT of $460,000 in account,  in the name of BOLA TINUBU represents proceeds of NARCOTICS or were involved in financial transactions in violation of 18 U.S.C ss 1956 and 1957 and therefore these funds are forfeit to the United States,

His funds were seized. How many ex govenors were convicted in relation to their accused crimes during Ribadu? What ratio of those cases were "settled" without leading to a conviction? Did that make those people innocent or any more respectable because they weren't convicted? What is more preposterous than my wrong (and yes mistake) claim of Tinubu's conviction is your sanctimonious and annoyingly pretentious anger as if Tinubu is some saint whose character is being dragged thropugh the mud. Am I the one who linked him to these charges? So please spare me the nonsense. It is a tad hypocritical than we can go on about how so and so is corrupt in Nigeria (even without prrof like the case with Tinubu), but when it comes to Tinubu different rules should apply? Has IBB ever been convicted anywhere in the world? What about Atiku? So why is it okay to castigate IBB and Atiku but not Tinubu? Challenging the federal government makes him "progressive"? So why is Atiku who fought with OBJ not seen as "progressive" too? What utter hypocrisy. Please go peddle your sanctimonious anger somewhere else. This whole debacle started with me claiming Tinubu's character to be questionable, and I stand by it!!
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by SkyBlue1: 9:49pm On Apr 10, 2011
dayokanu:

Can you define what an ex convict is and how Tinubu fits an ex-con profile. See ektbears response above.

They have been there for 6months and ppl already see positive movements from them.

ACN being tagged as progressives comes from Tinubu days where he battled against the PDP-OBJ domination.

When ppl call ACN a party of progressives in the current dispensation its due to the good works of Fashola and Oshiomole plus the strong note on which Aregbe and Fayemi started.

A governor rolls out 20,000 jobs out of the blues in Osun state which has been under the PDP cosh for 8yrs. Ppl aint silly, they recognize a performer when they see one

With regards to you point about conviction, see post above. With regards to your claim about ACN being tagged progressive in part because of the start Fayemi and Aregbe made, please no need to be so disenginuous. When did Aregbe and Fayemi get into power and when did ACN start touting itself as a progressive party? Who really knows about the "works" of Oshiomole outside Edo state and what are these "works" compared to what has been seen around the country? ACN is seen as progressive because of Fashola, it started selling itself as that and getting such perceptions before Fayemi and Aregbe even got into power so no need to try and twist history here, or did posturing for the presidential elections only start after Aregbe "rolled out" those 20,000 jobs? How amusing.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by ektbear: 12:27am On Apr 11, 2011
Sky Blue: Funds being siezed is not the end of the world. If I buy a very expesnive watch that is actually stolen property, perhaps someone might accuse me of stealing it, and I'll have to return it. But so long as I don't go to jail or am not otherwise penalized (e.g., convicted of receiving stolen property, some crime like that), I'm clean as a whistle (at least, from the perspective of the legal system.)

Sky Blue:

I would rather we don't veer of course but bring this back to the point. I was making an indictment on Tinubu's character which I claimed questionable. Now let us tie it to the court case and documents obtained in 2008 (which I had earlier presented some links to). Tinubu was not convicted of a crime yes, the case was settled and what was the result?
The stuff in bold is the end of the story. In Nigeria, things might work differently.

But here in the US, if you are not convicted and the case is settled, even if you must pay a fine, you have no criminal record and thus from the perspective of the law are clean as a whistle. There is nothing further to be said. Any analogies between the US and the EFCC don't work. . . simply because in the US you cannot bribe/payoff some PDP official to let you go easy.

US District Attorneys try to extract EVERY pound of flesh they can. If they felt they had a strong enough case against Tinubu, they'd have taken him to court, DEFEATED him, and he'd be rotting in a jail cell. That they accepted a deal suggests that THEIR CASE WASN'T STRONG ENOUGH. Now, if the DA wasn't able to make a strong enough case against him. . . who the f*** are you to say he is a criminal? Something even they weren't able to prove?

Anyway, we are arguing over irrelevant details. He was not convicted, and thus is not a criminal. End of story, case closed.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by SkyBlue1: 12:40am On Apr 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

Sky Blue: Funds being siezed is not the end of the world. If I buy a very expesnive watch that is actually stolen property, perhaps someone might accuse me of stealing it, and I'll have to return it. But so long as I don't go to jail or am not otherwise penalized (e.g., convicted of receiving stolen property, some crime like that), I'm clean as a whistle (at least, from the perspective of the legal system.)
The stuff in bold is the end of the story. In Nigeria, things might work differently.

But here in the US, if you are not convicted and the case is settled, even if you must pay a fine, you have no criminal record and thus from the perspective of the law are clean as a whistle. There is nothing further to be said. Any analogies between the US and the EFCC don't work. . . simply because in the US you cannot bribe/payoff some PDP official to let you go easy.

US District Attorneys try to extract EVERY pound of flesh they can. If they felt they had a strong enough case against Tinubu, they'd have taken him to court, DEFEATED him, and he'd be rotting in a jail cell. That they accepted a deal suggests that THEIR CASE WASN'T STRONG ENOUGH. Now, if the DA wasn't able to make a strong enough case against him. . . who the f*** are you to say he is a criminal? Something even they weren't able to prove?

Anyway, we are arguing over irrelevant details. He was not convicted, and thus is not a criminal. End of story, case closed.

Just like IBB has not been convicted anywhere in the world and is also not a criminal right? Perhaps what is more laughable is you making the seizing of assets seem like an everyday occurence. And not being able to secure a conviction means he is clean? Let us see what the sitting judge said about the case again

JUDGEMENT:
j,  Neither a claim nor answer has been filed on behalf of the defendant funds ,  accordingly, it hereby
ORDERED that the funds in the AMOUNT of $460,000 in account,  in the name of BOLA TINUBU represents proceeds of NARCOTICS or were involved in financial transactions in violation of 18 U.S.C ss 1956 and 1957 and therefore these funds are forfeit to the United States,

And the same mouth would now start making noise about IBB being a crook when he is not yet convicted, right? The word hypocrite comes to mind. What makes Tinubu different from IBB (who was also under strong allegations of drug dealing during his tenure), Atiku, Obasanjo and co? Funny.

This whole debacle started with me claiming Tinubu's character to be questionable, and I stand by it!!
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by ektbear: 12:47am On Apr 11, 2011
^-- You are comparing the justice system in a wuruwuru country like Nigeria to that of the US of A?

Apples and oranges comparison.

Tinubu entered the lion's den (the US court system) and came out alive, intact, with his body parts intact and minor scratches.

He was not convicted of any crimes in the US. Sure, he was ordered to give up substantial money. But he was not jailed, and to my knowledge has no criminal record in the US.

That is sufficient.

Anyway, I'm not claiming his character is perfect, or that he is a good man. But he is not a criminal or convict, as you suggested.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by SkyBlue1: 1:01am On Apr 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- You are comparing the justice system in a wuruwuru country like Nigeria to that of the US of A?

Apples and oranges comparison.

Tinubu entered the lion's den (the US court system) and came out alive, intact, with his body parts intact and minor scratches.

He was not convicted of any crimes in the US. Sure, he was ordered to give up substantial money. But he was not jailed, and to my knowledge has no criminal record in the US.

That is sufficient.

Anyway, I'm not claiming his character is perfect, or that he is a good man. But he is not a criminal or convict, as you suggested.

And you are hinging too much justification on the fact that he came out without a conviction to his name in a US court, as if the US justice system (though better than what obtains in Nigeria) is a perfect one. Why was he ordered to give up substantial money? What deal was made? So the US courts are in a habit of seizing assets for no good reason? And you come on to talk about lack of conviction being the key issue? What about all the deals the EFCC cut with corrupt officials, or do you think plea bargains and deal making are non existent in the US justice system and only happen in Nigeria? There is no need to be disenginuous. I called Tinubu's character questionable (to put it kindly) and I stand by it. If IBB and co are questionable then so is Tinubu. To suddenly try to seperate him from the pack because we feel like it is plain nonsensical. Progressive my foot!
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by ektbear: 1:11am On Apr 11, 2011
Sky Blue:

And you are hinging too much justification on the fact that he came out without a conviction to his name in a US court, as if the US justice system (though better than what obtains in Nigeria) is a perfect one.
If you come out of the court system w/o a conviction, legally you are clean. End of story. Everything else is speculation.

Why was he ordered to give up substantial money? What deal was made? So the US courts are in a habit of seizing assets for no good reason? And you come on to talk about lack of conviction being the key issue?
He was only ordered to give up the money as an alternative to going to court (unless I'm misreading the situation.)

Process is:
A) Charged with a crime
B) DAs realized they didn't have a strong enough case to convict him
C) Offer a deal in which he gives up money and avoids prosecution
D) Tinubu weighs the costs of hiring a lawyer, going through court system, and the risk of the judge possibly convicting him, realizes that the cost of the lawyer alone will be close to the $460K he can pay
D) Tinubu pays the money, moves on with his life

If that to you makes him a villain, so be it. Call him a villain, cad, whatever other term you want. So long as you do not call him a criminal or convict.

What about all the deals the EFCC cut with corrupt officials, or do you think plea bargains and deal making are non existent in the US justice system?
There is no point comparing the EFCC to the US court system. May as well compare a child's toy truck to an SUV. That he came out of the US court system clean is good enough for me.

There is no need to be disenginuous. I called Tinubu's character questionable (to put it kindly) and I stand by it.
You can call his character questionable if you like. But do NOT call him a convict, or claim he was convicted, or claim he has a case pending (after nearly 20 years). Those are all lies.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by SkyBlue1: 1:17am On Apr 11, 2011
I now remember why I alluded to him being convicted (was sure I had seen this somewhere). You asked me to show you and here it is (I put this link up before by the way). Now, you are free to try to disprove them if you want.

United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) confirmed that a former Lagos State Governor, Mr. Bola,

Ahmed Tinubu, ran a heroin ring in the country; was convicted, though with an option of fine; and was actually quizzed last month while entering into the country.

Documents available to the Nigerian Compass showed that the United States Government has written the Nigerian Government, highlighting the fact that Tinubu ran a cocaine ring in the country.

According to the document, signed by the United States Government Narcotics Attache in its embassy in Nigeria, Andre W. Kellum, Tinubu operated an organisation that distributed cocaine.

Kellum said that though Tinubu was not subjected to criminal prosecution, the fact that he acceded to forfeiting funds to the United States Government was on its own a conviction.

Kellum’s letter was a response to a petition pertaining to Tinubu’s suitability to stand for re-election in 2003 as the governor of Lagos State.

The petitioner said that Tinubu, owing to his conviction in the United States for running a drug cartel, was not suitable to stand for election in Nigeria.

In the letter dated April 9, 2003, addressed to the former Chairman, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Alhaji Bello Lafiaji, Kellum wrote, “After consultation with the Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of International Affairs (OIA), this is in response to the above referenced matter, regarding Bola Ahmed TINUBU (emphasis that of Kellum).

“Pursuant to the aforementioned request, the Lagos, Nigeria Country Office (LNCO) of the Drug Enforcement Administration immediately contacted DOJ/OIA officials. Copies of documents received by the LNCO from the NDLEA were forwarded to these officials for verification.

“As such, please note that paragraphs 4, 5 and 6 of the complaint indicates that persons named therein operated an organisation that distributed heroin and the proceeds of that illegal distribution were in the subject acounts to be forfeited. The complaint references U.S. (criminal) money laundering and (criminal) drug statutes as the authority under which the forfeiture occurs. Nevertheless, note that the complaint in this civil action identifies the funds as the defendant (Tinubu), not the account holders.

“Likewise, the Decree of Forfeiture, signed by a U.S. District Judge, identifies the criminal statutory authority for the civil forfeiture of the funds without regard to whether there is a corresponding criminal prosecution.

“The facts revealed in the U.S. Investigation of the funds and their source are detailed in the affidavit filed by the Internal Revenue Service.

In the letter from the NDLEA that resulted in Kellum’s reaction, the lead anti-narcotic agency in Nigeria said that the conclusion it could draw was that Tinubu’s drug case was yet to be closed by the United States.

The letter, in its opinion section, noted, “Former paragraph 6 above, Governor Ahmed Bola Tinubu was involved in Money Laundering Transactions along with Mueez Adegboya Akande and Abiodun Agbele in the United States of America.

“Even though he was not charged to court, he had to compromise the case. Otherwise, he would have lost the whole money.

“Arising from the case, Governor Ahmed Bola Tinubu forfeited 460,000 US dollars to the United States Government being proceeds of narcotic trafficking or property involved in financial transactions in violation of 18 USO 1956 and 1957 and therefore was forfeitable to the United States (emphasis that of the NDLEA).

“It is pertinent to note that the funds held by Citi bank which was released to Governor Ahmed Bola Tinubu and the action filed against these funds held in the said accounts was dismissed with prejudice. This in effect means the case has not been closed (emphasis that of NDLEA) an
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by ektbear: 1:38am On Apr 11, 2011
^-- Above is full of so many contradictions.

1) Was it a cocaine or heroin ring he was running? Or both?
2) Where in the US can one be convicted for dealing HEROIN and be offered the option of a fine? grin grin grin Again, are you familiar with the US court system, or just randomly copying and pasting articles? $460k+ worth of marijuana will get a person jailed for a long time, not to talk of heroin or cocaine.
3)

Kellum said that though Tinubu was not subjected to criminal prosecution, the fact that he acceded to forfeiting funds to the United States Government was on its own a conviction.
How is it possible to be CONVICTED without being prosecuted?  grin grin grin Do you not see the inconsistency here?
4)

“Even though he was not charged to court, he had to compromise the case. Otherwise, he would have lost the whole money.

“Arising from the case, Governor Ahmed Bola Tinubu forfeited 460,000 US dollars to the United States Government being proceeds of narcotic trafficking or property involved in financial transactions in violation of 18 USO 1956 and 1957 and therefore was forfeitable to the United States (emphasis that of the NDLEA).

ROFL. So he actually didn't even have to give up all the money?! grin grin grin grin What an amazing dude.

Anyway, as you can see. . .the article you posted is full of contradictions, and suggests instead that Tinubu negotiated a deal with the DA in which he wasn't even required to give up all the money they beleived was the proceedings of drug sales.

Long story short. . . Tinubu very well may have been a drug lord, a drug dealer, whatever. But if the US court system couldn't prove it, then it seems to me none of us are in a position to call him one. And certainly, NONE of us can call him a convict.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by SkyBlue1: 2:09am On Apr 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Above is full of so many contradictions.

1) Was it a cocaine or heroin ring he was running? Or both?
2) Where in the US can one be convicted for dealing HEROIN and be offered the option of a fine? grin grin grin Again, are you familiar with the US court system, or just randomly copying and pasting articles? $460k+ worth of marijuana will get a person jailed for a long time, not to talk of heroin or cocaine.
3) How is it possible to be CONVICTED without being prosecuted?  grin grin grin Do you not see the inconsistency here?
4)ROFL. So he actually didn't even have to give up all the money?! grin grin grin grin What an amazing dude.

Anyway, as you can see. . .the article you posted is full of contradictions, and suggests instead that Tinubu negotiated a deal with the DA in which he wasn't even required to give up all the money they beleived was the proceedings of drug sales.

Long story short. . . Tinubu very well may have been a drug lord, a drug dealer, whatever. But if the US court system couldn't prove it, then it seems to me none of us are in a position to call him one. And certainly, NONE of us can call him a convict.

The article is from the very first link I ever posted in this page. If you believe it to be full of contradictions, have you actually gone through the other ones or are you just here to make noise and let me "copy and paste" for you?

Point one seems a triviallity because the court referred to it as narcotics (more generic). Point two and three are questions for the man listed in the article. Tinubu took a plea bargain.

I don't even see the importance of point four, is it a brag or what that all money wasn't given up?? So this really is your rebuff? I don't even know why I am wasting my time. If we can call Atiku (who also went through the US justice system) and IBB criminals then be under no illusions, I (like many others) will also be throwing Tinubu in that group. He does not automatically become acceptable because he got a plea bargain. I was against the excuse that he was somehow different from the rest we regard as corrupt and criminals and I stand by that. If Atiku, IBB and co are not acceptable then why on earth should Tinubu be? What hypocricy. A spade is a spade.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by ektbear: 2:17am On Apr 11, 2011
Point #1 is not a triviality, it is odd that the article contradicts itself about what drug he is specifically dealing. You'd expect self-consistency in any credible article.
Point #2 is for you to answer. Actually pretty simple for anyone who has actually lived in America before, read the newspaper a bit to see the implausibility. There is nowhere where you can deal 460k of hard drugs here and be offered the option of paying only a fine. Well, let me not say impossible. . . just extremely unlikely. If Tinubu had been convicted, he'd have a felony on his record and would have been jailed. The article is bunk.
Point #3 is again something for YOU to answer or at least thing about. One cannot be convicted w/o first being prosecuted. Again, article is bunk.
#4 is simply just amusing to me.

Anyway, it is clear to me that you don't understand the American judicial system at all. . . just googling articles, hoping to throw enough feces to the wall and hope that something sticks.
Re: Nass Election Prediction: Acn Controlled Nass by SkyBlue1: 2:27am On Apr 11, 2011
Sky Blue:

The article is from the very first link I ever posted in this page. If you believe it to be full of contradictions, have you actually gone through the other ones or are you just here to make noise and let me "copy and paste" for you?

Point one seems a triviallity because the court referred to it as narcotics (more generic). Point two and three are questions for the man listed in the article. Tinubu took a plea bargain.

I don't even see the importance of point four, is it a brag or what that all money wasn't given up?? So this really is your rebuff? I don't even know why I am wasting my time. If we can call Atiku (who also went through the US justice system) and IBB criminals then be under no illusions, I (like many others) will also be throwing Tinubu in that group. He does not automatically become acceptable because he got a plea bargain. I was against the excuse that he was somehow different from the rest we regard as corrupt and criminals and I stand by that. If Atiku, IBB and co are not acceptable then why on earth should Tinubu be? What hypocricy. A spade is a spade.

Sky Blue:

And you are hinging too much justification on the fact that he came out without a conviction to his name in a US court, as if the US justice system (though better than what obtains in Nigeria) is a perfect one. Why was he ordered to give up substantial money? What deal was made? So the US courts are in a habit of seizing assets for no good reason? And you come on to talk about lack of conviction being the key issue? What about all the deals the EFCC cut with corrupt officials, or do you think plea bargains and deal making are non existent in the US justice system and only happen in Nigeria? There is no need to be disenginuous. I called Tinubu's character questionable (to put it kindly) and I stand by it. If IBB and co are questionable then so is Tinubu. To suddenly try to seperate him from the pack because we feel like it is plain nonsensical. Progressive my foot!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Refuses To Ask For Calm! / Zinox, Nigerian Computer Manufacturer, Invited To Invest In The Carribean / Ekiti Speaker's Wife Beats Driver Over Husband's Alleged Affair With Chief Whip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.