Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,626 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) (77974 Views)

New Tollgates' Fees: ₦200 For Cars, ₦500 For Trucks & Luxury Buses / Tollgates To Return As FG Grants Individuals Licence To Build, Maintain Highways / EndSARS: Lagos Loses N234m To Tollgates’ Closure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Omooba77: 12:02pm On Feb 24, 2021
VaselineCrew:

Lol

Truly, Nigerians are the ultimate in suffering and smiling.

I am not against all tolls, but against tolling already existing routes.

You just posited that the highways in the UK are smooth because of toll, so what happened to the lekki epe expressway that was tolled? Why wasn’t the road smooth?

Why doesn’t lekki epe expressway have lane markings?

Why is the lekki epe expressway dark at night?

I don’t know why you guys must always fight for evil in Nigeria. You fight for old corrupt leaders, you fight for bad roads, you fight so your leaders have the gall to make you suffer more... I just don’t get it.

Look at the picture below of a UK highway and compare it to Lekki Epe, where we used to pay N250-N300 per pass. Do you see how the lanes are marked so PERFECTLY on the UK expressway below?

Or maybe you will argue again, but this time, against your very own eyesight.

Is lekki epe highway anywhere close to this?

Suffering and smiling is just too much in this country abeg

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by BigBashiru: 12:11pm On Feb 24, 2021
Omooba77:

God bless you for this. You are have travelled far and wide to see the truth. If you want to toll road, you provide alternatives. In Houston, Dallas and other cities, you have a choice. Look at Lekki-Epe you pay and follow unending hold ups around Ikate, Agungi, Igbo-Efon, Chevron. They brought MD LCC, Yomi, he could not say how much toll gates make in a month.
They think we are mumu.....

The person couldn't say how much it makes a month because it's a lot. It speaks volumes of black people that despite these huge amounts at least basic things like lane markings and proper lighting at night isn't there..... this is why racism exists. This is why Nigeria can be rightfully called a shithole country.
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Omooba77: 12:19pm On Feb 24, 2021
BigBashiru:

The person couldn't say how much it makes a month because it's a lot. It speaks volumes of black people that despite these huge amounts at least basic things like lane markings and proper lighting at night isn't there..... this is why racism exists. This is why Nigeria can be rightfully called a shithole country.

The irony is that most of the OPPRESSED will come here defending their oppressors. Go to Benin Republic there and see how organised. Go to Sangotedo -Abijo axis, road so bad yet people see these set of people as messiahs.

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 24, 2021
BigBashiru:

No it's not tolled. In Toronto, Ontario, the 407 highway is a private highway and is tolled; the toll conpany make PROFITS from it. The 401 highway (Canada) is a public highway and is excellent just like the UK one you posted and it isn't tolled.

Most UK highways aren't tolled at all.

Why shouldn't I say Nigeria is cursed from the foregoing?? Lekki epe express has been collecting toll for years and nothing to show for it. Uk and Canada don't toll most highways and they are world class. Isn't it a curse?? The difference in oyinbo and naija management is clear!

They are not tolled because the UK and Canada have other ways of funding the road

It's called taxes.

Uk and Canada have tax to gdp ratios of 33.3% and 30% respectively. Nigeria has a tax to gdp ratio of 5.8%

And with that comes great differences in revenue.

That's why i support the toll. Not because i am a buhari supporter or because i think that we are the best in the world, but because the revenue we earn as a nation is not enough for all of us.
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 24, 2021
VaselineCrew:

Lol

Truly, Nigerians are the ultimate in suffering and smiling.

I am not against all tolls, but against tolling already existing routes.

You just posited that the highways in the UK are smooth because of toll, so what happened to the lekki epe expressway that was tolled? Why wasn’t the road smooth?

Why doesn’t lekki epe expressway have lane markings?

Why is the lekki epe expressway dark at night?

I don’t know why you guys must always fight for evil in Nigeria. You fight for old corrupt leaders, you fight for bad roads, you fight so your leaders have the gall to make you suffer more... I just don’t get it.

Look at the picture below of a UK highway and compare it to Lekki Epe, where we used to pay N250-N300 per pass. Do you see how the lanes are marked so PERFECTLY on the UK expressway below?

Or maybe you will argue again, but this time, against your very own eyesight.

Is lekki epe highway anywhere close to this?

Suffering and smiling is just too much in this country abeg

The UK has a tax to.gdp ratio of 33 %. Nigeria has a tax to gdp of 5.8%

Most states have tax to.gdp ratios that are.even lower

Thats why they can afford nice roads sans tolling

And while i know there is corruption and mismanagement, the fact is the money this country earns to begin with is not even enough

And the UK has low corruption because
1. Their economy is based on manufacturing, not extractive. Thus things have to work or there would be zero.revenue. nigeria economy is based on extracting x from soil and selling it. So long as x keeps on coming

2. UK people understand that for a democracy to work they have to participate. Nigerians vote and then go home and wait for goodies from heaven

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by FmO4(m): 12:29pm On Feb 24, 2021
[quote author=Beremx post=99359845]Lagos-Badagry-Seme? They should put the toll gate at Iyana Iba. The road is very beautiful.

Over beautiful
From Barracks-Okoafo
Lol
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by IamPlato(m): 12:32pm On Feb 24, 2021
StacyO:
This is a very poor implementation by the Nigerian government.

A very inconsiderate idea and a total poverty inflater.

How can a sane group of so called "old wise men" come up with this total hogwash of an idea?

What exactly are the citizens benefitting from all this "business" ?

I mean,every day you cross that toll gate,you must drop cash. You pay tax,NEPA bills,even for your goods to get to it's final destination,you pay a huge amount of money.

When it finally gets here,for the masses to purchase becomes an issue cause the price of everything is no longer at their level.

Even light is not constant but,the citizens still pay huge amounts for it.

It's high time this government is either reshuffled or made to step down.
This is the highest level of incompetency ever recorded.

Who controls this toll gates and what's the main aim of establishing one when the citizens are trying so hard to even live up to the standard of a common man.

I spit on this government.
I spit on the inconsiderate cabals.
I spit on Buhari.
And Laurette Onochie get's my catarrh.

You all will go down in shame.
you too dey spit...

Na so you go spit on your husband if he offends you?
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 24, 2021
VaselineCrew:

Are you for real?

When last did you see potholes on UK highways?

Those roads that are like roads in video games, where you can cruise with your ride and it will almost be like you’re flying.

Let’s not even talk about their military might, fighter jets they produce...

The tax burden in the Uk is obviously much, but you can’t ask what they are doing with it, juxtaposing that with Nigeria in order to absolve leaders here from graft.

They have good roads precisely because the tax burden is too much

And also because uk people actually do take part in their democratic process. Not Nigeria where we vote and leave it to the politicans, forgetting we have to do our bit
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Grace001: 12:43pm On Feb 24, 2021
Nigeria is synonymous to retrogression
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Nobody: 12:47pm On Feb 24, 2021
Grace001:
Nigeria is synonymous to retrogression

So how else do we fund road maintenance and repair in this country with a limited works budget?

Simple. We take another loan or we avoid loans by raisng taxes on the gdp.
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by BigBashiru: 1:28pm On Feb 24, 2021
Godarz:

They are not tolled because the UK and Canada have other ways of funding the road

It's called taxes.

Uk and Canada have tax to gdp ratios of 33.3% and 30% respectively. Nigeria has a tax to gdp ratio of 5.8%

And with that comes great differences in revenue.

That's why i support the toll. Not because i am a buhari supporter or because i think that we are the best in the world, but because the revenue we earn as a nation is not enough for all of us.

Nigeria has all those taxes UK and Canada have and even more! There really isn't any excuse.

Road maintenance is a fixed cost. Toll generates excess revenue - what will happen to the excess revenue?? What is happening to the excess revenue on lekki epe express??
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by BigBashiru: 1:30pm On Feb 24, 2021
Godarz:

They have good roads precisely because the tax burden is too much

And also because uk people actually do take part in their democratic process. Not Nigeria where we vote and leave it to the politicans, forgetting we have to do our bit

They have good roads and sane drivers on those good roads because of DISCIPLINE - not because of anything related to money.
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by BigBashiru: 1:31pm On Feb 24, 2021
Godarz:

So how else do we fund road maintenance and repair in this country with a limited works budget?

Simple. We take another loan or we avoid loans by raisng taxes on the gdp.

By creating Corruption Trust Fund where all the money recovered from corruption is put - an interest bearing account.

By removing excess compensation of government officials such as senators and ex governors and reducing costs of governance and putting the miney in same trust fund.
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Nobody: 1:38pm On Feb 24, 2021
BigBashiru:

Nigeria has all those taxes UK and Canada have and even more! There really isn't any excuse.

Road maintenance is a fixed cost. Toll generates excess revenue - what will happen to the excess revenue?? What is happening to the excess revenue on lekki epe express??

No we don't have all those taxes uk and canada have

If we did, then our tax to gdp ratio would be higher than 30%
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Nobody: 1:38pm On Feb 24, 2021
BigBashiru:

They have good roads and sane drivers on those good roads because of DISCIPLINE - not because of anything related to money.

Discipline does not pay maintenance costs.
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by BigBashiru: 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2021
Godarz:

No we don't have all those taxes uk and canada have

If we did, then our tax to gdp ratio would be higher than 30%

Nigerians are quite good at generating excuses and praising the masters that oppress them. Keep it up!

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Nobody: 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2021
BigBashiru:

By creating Corruption Trust Fund where all the money recovered from corruption is put - an interest bearing account.

By removing excess compensation of government officials such as senators and ex governors and reducing costs of governance and putting the miney in same trust fund.

Doing all that won't add much to our budget.

We raise revenue by becoming an industrial society and by raising our tax to gdp ratio in addition to fighting corruption.

Because the idea that we can earn enough money from a commodity whose prices fluctuate severely is out of date.

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by BigBashiru: 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2021
Godarz:

Discipline does not pay maintenance costs.

Maintenance cost is a fixed cost. Toll money is generally excess of that fixed cost which gives room for corruption.
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 24, 2021
BigBashiru:

Nigerians are quite good at generating excuses and praising the masters that oppress them. Keep it up!

You are being too emotional

Also Nigerians are good ay being armchair critics instead of actially taking part in a democratic process

Also even with corruption our tax to gdp ratio is not enough to fund the thibgs we want
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 24, 2021
BigBashiru:

Maintenance cost is a fixed cost. Toll money is generally excess of that fixed cost which gives room for corruption.

Which can be stopped by we taking part im the democratic process by being more active participants

Instead of sitting at home and complaining about how corrupt and powerful they all are

Plus how can we fund a budget on a low tax to gdp ratio and a oil price that is low for our needs too? Apart from dealing with corruption ?
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by emmatuegbe(m): 1:46pm On Feb 24, 2021
what road has he constructed in the south that he wants to introduce toll gate. At the end, the revenue generated from toll collection in the south will be used to develop the North. This is unacceptable, as it will increase the cost of living (inflation) in the South. No significant infrastructural development had been carried out in the South by this nepotist administration. Introduce toll in all states in the North and see the backlash
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by BigBashiru: 1:56pm On Feb 24, 2021
Godarz:

Which can be stopped by we taking part im the democratic process by being more active participants

Instead of sitting at home and complaining about how corrupt and powerful they all are

Plus how can we fund a budget on a low tax to gdp ratio and a oil price that is low for our needs too? Apart from dealing with corruption ?

First of all there is no "we" or "our" in Nigeria - it's a country of the self by the self for the self.

But you have made valid points.... especially participation in democratic process. With this said toll is not a good idea in a poor country. N50 stamp duty on bank transfers is already a form of toll and that generates big moni already.

You would hv had a strong argument if lekki epe express was sound but it isn't. Basic things like lane markings aren't there. The express roads in Nigeria that were being tolled before, basic things like lane markings not there.

Second of all states can fund their road works. You make it sound as if States don't hv money they do!

Finally active maintenance of highway isn't that expensive since there's no snow. It won't pass N250k per month without any major works

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by culf: 2:34pm On Feb 24, 2021
Ade3131:

It's for the privilege you're enjoying to have a country you can identify with. LoL

Some are country-less

can you imagine? you're kidding me right?
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by culf: 2:34pm On Feb 24, 2021
KanuSE:

@bolded,

To pay for the lifestyle of the criminals parading as politicians and their children's school fees abroad. grin

Its very painful.
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by culf: 2:36pm On Feb 24, 2021
PS712:

The annoying thing is that this is a government that promised reducing burdens on Nigerians, now otherwise is the case. Nigerians now pay for virtually everything and at high cost, when you complain the government draws comparison with Saudi, and other oil producing countries. This is sad and unfortunate!

very sad, so sad. Its frustrating

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by culf: 2:37pm On Feb 24, 2021
StepTwo:

Security grin grin grin

but I'm paying for my own security, I pay monthly for security.
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by culf: 2:38pm On Feb 24, 2021
Airoflaw:
for staying in Nigeria if you no gree you can go back to your canada grin

Hmmmm!
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by pretyval: 2:44pm On Feb 24, 2021
North West, North East, Middle belt governors are making money from banditree and kidnapkings. Shebi na cruise country we dey

COMPAQ:

Sebi there is new rail from Warri to Ajaokuta. Na your share be that. After all the rest of the country has only 2 also. Lagos abeokuta ibadan rail and kaduna Abuja.

What will North West, North East, Middle belt talk
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Omooba77: 2:45pm On Feb 24, 2021
Godarz:

Doing all that won't add much to our budget.

We raise revenue by becoming an industrial society and by raising our tax to gdp ratio in addition to fighting corruption.

Because the idea that we can earn enough money from a commodity whose prices fluctuate severely is out of date.

The ones Agberos are using to build hotels, houses and send their children abroad nko?

2 Likes

Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Ade3131: 3:05pm On Feb 24, 2021
culf:

can you imagine? you're kidding me right?

If I no kid you wetin I gain... LoL

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 24, 2021
Omooba77:

The ones Agberos are using to build hotels, houses and send their children abroad nko?

That's going completely off topic and you know it.

Plus where in my comment did i express support for Agbero revenue raising?

Again off topic. Stick to the topic
Re: FG To Introduce Tollgates On 12 Highways (full List) by abatically(m): 4:58pm On Feb 24, 2021
Omooba77:

So they tolled roads, without good alternatives? When you lie check your back. Tolled roads are for you to get to places faster, not the major road. I have lived in Houston and Sam Houston circuit goes round the city. But there are Very GOOD alternatives.

And I have never lived outside the country, be deceiving urself. You can't just sit behind ur computer or phone and be calling everyone a liar, what is wrong with some people? There are tolled roads on many highways in many western countries. Yes there are alternatives but they are longer routes. In many cases on interstate highways there are no alternatives. When I say in some countries I don't mean just the US, like is the US the only alternate country?

for intra state yes there are guaranteed alternatives which we can also see in some parts of Lagos. You don't want to pay the toll on airport road, take the Oshodi - airport route. You don't want to pay the Lekki toll? There are alternatives.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

President Buhari's New Official Portrait Approved By Him / Nigerian Burns Nasco Cornflakes Over Terrorism Sponsorship / Obaseki, Oshiomhole Meet Publicly For The First Time Since After Edo Polls (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.