Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,034 members, 7,838,585 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State (2033 Views)

Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Nigeria's Most Powerful Politician - Onyebuchi Ememanka / Balarabe Musa: APC Will Turn Nigeria Into A One-Party State / Exposed!!! Bola Tinubu - Nigeria's Biggest Landlord @pdpmediaroom247 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by sbeezy8: 12:22am On Apr 11, 2011
this is really game changer for GEJ
cause people in the SW might just vote for ribadu and ride the already growing ACN train.

iunno
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Kilode1: 12:33am On Apr 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Buhari erred badly in not focusing on party-building. There is value in building political structures that will outlast you. He could and should have focused his energy on sweeping the PDP out of the NW and NE more thoroughly. 2011 is not the only election Nigeria will ever have in its history; there is 2015 and beyond.

Very poor planning and strategy by Buhari and the CPC.

Apart from money, Buhari left ANPP to form CPC not too long ago, I think his popularity has more to do with Buhari himself than with his political party or structure, It will take time to form structires. I stand corrected, I don't think CPC has ever contested any election until yesterday.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by aletheia(m): 12:36am On Apr 11, 2011
Kobojunkie:

When I read some of the analysis on this election, I wonder if we are speaking of the very same Nigeria, or some new fantastical entity.
^^Please do stop arguing with yourself. Are you not one of those who:
Kobojunkie:

want a party of a handful to sweep the nation -- to fight and win against parties with more than one established politician?
And did you not:
Kobojunkie:

expect CPC to take it all in less than 6 months of it's existence? How?shocked

fstranger3:

^^^

Never fails to change the direction of the argument
^^You are so right! grin It's called cognitive dissonance.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by ektbear: 12:38am On Apr 11, 2011
Is money alone an excuse? How much money can it cost to record an advert saying, "I, Muhammadu Buhari endorse CPC Candidate X." All those huge rallys he had, why were the CPC candidates not on the stage with him?

We saw Fashola criss-crossing the SW, spending an enormous amount of time using his popularity to boost the prospects of ACN candidates. We see the dividend that that has yielded.

Why did Buhari not do the same? Anyway, if you are someone who wants to see GEJ uprooted this month, then the performance of Buhari's candidates is a very ominous sign.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Kobojunkie: 12:39am On Apr 11, 2011
Kilode?!:

Apart from money, Buhari left ANPP to form CPC not too long ago, I think his popularity has more to do with Buhari himself than with his political party or structure, It will take time to form structires. I stand corrected, I don't think CPC has ever contested any election until yesterday.

CPC was registered in November 2010, barely 6 months ago. I am more than certain we have had no major elections since then . . . well, until saturday!
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by ektbear: 12:50am On Apr 11, 2011
Buhari should have humbled his pride and joined the ACN. The ACN would have used his talents more effectively to win lots of offices in the NW and NE.

Dude wasted a golden opportunity.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by aletheia(m): 12:59am On Apr 11, 2011
Kilode?!:

^^So remove Buhari. And CPC withers and dies. What a lot of BB supporters don't realize is that CPC has actually been subtly hijacked from Buhari. Two critical decisions made by Buhari suggest so.

1) The decision to deny Mike Ahamba, the party chairmanship. A decision that so embittered Ahamba to the point that he resigned from the party. Now note that Ahamba has been loyal to Buhari, standing with him through thick and thin. When you read Buhari's rationalization of that decision; you immediately realize that something did not add up. Nigeria's politics is built on the tripod of appeasing the three major tribes. If Ahamba was chairman of CPC; it would have given the CPC a high-profile Igbo face and given it a fighting chance in the SE. Tony Momoh was selected as CPC party chairman based on the calculation that he will serve as a "counterweight" to GEJ in the SS. Really? Does anyone actually think that will persuade the SS to vote for CPC.

2) By choosing Tunde Bakare as running mate. Bakare is not going to increase CPC's vote tally anywhere in the SW. Strategic mistake. In selecting your running mate, you chose a loyal party man (as ACN did) that can add votes to your ticket. Bakare is an outsider; someone without a power base in the CPC structure. I daresay a number of CPC stalwarts would have been disappointed by the choosing of an outsider as their presidential running mate.

The more astute will realize that these two key decisions have in effect served to isolate Buhari within his own party, while presenting an appearance of "unity". By pushing out of the party a key loyalist of Buhari that could have won him votes in the SE and pairing him with an outsider that will not win him much votes in the key battleground SW states.
Note that Buhari made this grievous errors of judgement based on advice he received from a coterie of advisors around him. Who are these advisors? A bevy of ex-PDP and ANPP politicians (some of whom I suspect are actually moles). This is a classic strategem. For example in the Bible, David sent a trusted advisor Hushai into Absalom's camp to counter any sound advise given by Ahitophel.

General Buhari's rigidity makes it easy for him to be manipulated by those around him, once you can win his trust.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Kilode1: 1:43am On Apr 11, 2011
aletheia:

^^So remove Buhari. And CPC withers and dies. What a lot of BB supporters don't realize is that CPC has actually been subtly hijacked from Buhari. Two critical decisions made by Buhari suggest so.

1) The decision to deny Mike Ahamba, the party chairmanship. A decision that so embittered Ahamba to the point that he resigned from the party. Now note that Ahamba has been loyal to Buhari, standing with him through thick and thin. When you read Buhari's rationalization of that decision; you immediately realize that something did not add up. Nigeria's politics is built on the tripod of appeasing the three major tribes. If Ahamba was chairman of CPC; it would have given the CPC a high-profile Igbo face and given it a fighting chance in the SE. Tony Momoh was selected as CPC party chairman based on the calculation that he will serve as a "counterweight" to GEJ in the SS. Really? Does anyone actually think that will persuade the SS to vote for CPC.

2) By choosing Tunde Bakare as running mate. Bakare is not going to increase CPC's vote tally anywhere in the SW. Strategic mistake. In selecting your running mate, you chose a loyal party man (as ACN did) that can add votes to your ticket. Bakare is an outsider; someone without a power base in the CPC structure. I daresay a number of CPC stalwarts would have been disappointed by the choosing of an outsider as their presidential running mate.

The more astute will realize that these two key decisions have in effect served to isolate Buhari within his own party, while presenting an appearance of "unity". By pushing out of the party a key loyalist of Buhari that could have won him votes in the SE and pairing him with an outsider that will not win him much votes in the key battleground SW states.
Note that Buhari made this grievous errors of judgement based on advice he received from a coterie of advisors around him. Who are these advisors? A bevy of ex-PDP and ANPP politicians (some of whom I suspect are actually moles). This is a classic strategem. For example in the Bible, David sent a trusted advisor Hushai into Absalom's camp to counter any sound advise given by Ahitophel.

General Buhari's rigidity makes it easy for him to be manipulated by those around him, once you can win his trust.

I don't think any realistic pundit believed Buhari had some great CPC structure, actually that was one of the arguments against him apart from being a former military ruler. Maybe he could have done better and I agree he should've, but it will be really silly to expect a 6 month old party with no local elective office or structure to sweep local polls like that, especially with all the rigging and poor policing we have in Nigeria.

Let's also not forget, even at his many Northern rallies, the popular slogan was  "Sai ~Fix PDP/ANPP local candidate~" AND "Sai Buhari Nigeria". So, there is nothing unexpected or strange here. I do agree with you though that he could have done better but that is not the argument really.

The presidential election will be the referendum on his Northern political clout. I hope they will take our now tired and over-offered advice to form an alliance with ACN to win in the SW.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by mensdept: 2:13am On Apr 11, 2011
But fpr Buhari Nigeria would have become a one-party state. You mean in 1983 or 30 odd years later?
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Emdion(m): 6:38am On Apr 11, 2011
As d election stands, dis is d way forward. CPC and ACN should merge their interest. Adopt buhari as presidential candidate( ribadu can not get d maximum vote frm d north). On wednesday al serving governor an aspirant of d two party should be at cpc rally So as to give support for buhari.(caution: they must police their vote because of pdp way of rigging). After winning d election d two party wil then form govt and also form a new party for 2015, my two cent
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by honeric01(m): 7:22am On Apr 11, 2011
Hmmm Tinubu? well lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by enyojo(f): 8:21am On Apr 11, 2011
FRANKLY SPEAKING, JARUS IS ON POINT IN THIS ONE.
THE STRATEGY OF ACN IS THAT THEY ALWAYS SELECT THE BEST CANDIDATES. YOU ARE FREE TO CALL THIS 'IMPOSITION'.
BUT FOR THE CPC, WE ALL KNOW THAT THEIR CANDIDATES ARE EITHER UNKNOWN OR SIMPLY CORRUPT.
WHEN ABACHA WON THE CPC CANDIDATURE FOR KANO, BUHARI PERSONALLY TRIED TO REVERSE IT BUT THE COURTS REFUSED, ALSO WHEN ALIERO A CORRUPT FORMER GOV OF 8 YRS UNDER PDP EMERGED AS CPC SENATORIAL CANDIDATE, EVERYONE KNEW HE WILL FAIL FOR EVEN A GOAT IF ITS ON PDP TICKET.

BUT ON THE NATIONAL LEVEL, THE BUHARI FAME WILL BE DISPLAYED BY THIS WEEKEND
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Lagosboy: 8:24am On Apr 11, 2011
CPC is a 1 yr old party for goodness sake , there is so much Buhari can do, People should not ocmpare Buhari to Tinubu in terms of ACN´s success. Buhari is a candidtate , Tinubu is not and has all the time to go around doing some ground work. Ribadu ACNc candidate from the north has not won anything for ACN in the north so far which means he is a featherwight in politics.

CPC is constrained by money, Buhari did not accept money from most of those corrupt politicians who joined CPC. Buhari needs the presidency and most of those around him were from the TBO (The Buhari organisation). Although i thought CPC would do better in some states in the north, the popularity of the local candidates have been proven. Some analysis even on NL before this election have already said the legislative election will not be determining factor in the presidential election.

For example i am begining to think PDP might get 30% of SW votes because in all the states of the SW, PDP had at least 35-40% of the votes cast with the exception of Lagos. In fact in ogun state and oyo state PDP´s votes loss was in the region of 10% which shows the popularity of the local candidates. However in the presidential election i dont think this will happen as people will vote for personality as opposed to party.

ACN with all the heavyweights in 2007 could only win one state, 4 senators and few house reps slots albeit the electionw as rigged. Heavyweights like Audu Ogbe, Atiku, Naaba, Rimi, Princewill and a host of others. CPC i believe will be stronger in 4 years time especially if Buhari wins this election. I am not a CPC memebr by the way and I only support the candidacy of Buhari and nothing more.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Genbuhari3: 8:25am On Apr 11, 2011
Despite the power of incumbency which favours PDP, CPC without a single elected senator has won 6 senatorial seats (all 3 in his home state, 1 in FCT, 1 in Kaduna, 1 in Nasarawa) and several house of reps seat including my constituency in Lokoja and PDP VP's consituency.

Yobe, Gombe, Jigawa, Borno are still pending.

Like somebody said, this was a contest between brothers , Musa and Isah, not between strange fellows Musa and Moses!

PDP is panicking already while ACN and CPC held talks yesterday!

The presidential election is between a Musa and Moses, and an average hausa man knows the difference. just wait and see.

Question: 'How come the Northern Caucus of the National Assembly, Northern Governors have suddenly gone quiet on Jonathan's presidency unlike the case during the PDP Presidential Primaries?'  Sherma did it and has paid dearly, Sambo is doing it, and he has paid dearly, the others have kept quiet, they were rewarded. An average Northern PDP POLITICIAN is mute on Jonathan Presidency, support it openly and you lose.

Saturday will be a crazy day, i can feel it
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Lagosboy: 8:28am On Apr 11, 2011
enyojo:

THE STRATEGY OF ACN IS THAT THEY ALWAYS SELECT THE BEST CANDIDATES. YOU ARE FREE TO CALL THIS 'IMPOSITION'.
BUT FOR THE CPC, WE ALL KNOW THAT THEIR CANDIDATES ARE EITHER UNKNOWN OR SIMPLY CORRUPT.
WHEN ABACHA WON THE CPC CANDIDATURE FOR KANO, BUHARI PERSONALLY TRIED TO REVERSE IT BUT THE COURTS REFUSED, ALSO WHEN ALIERO A CORRUPT FORMER GOV OF 8 YRS UNDER PDP EMERGED AS CPC SENATORIAL CANDIDATE, EVERYONE KNEW HE WILL FAIL FOR EVEN A GOAT IF ITS ON PDP TICKET.

ACN also fields unknown candidates, how many people knew Fashola before 2007? , who knew Fayemi? well Aregbeshola was a comissioner. Is Remi Tinubu the best candidate in the Lagos central? Who knows Tinubus daughter? who knows her husband?

The truth is Tinubu(credit to him) has built the party structure and and people vote for the party, even if it is a monkey on the ticket which is bad.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by fstranger3(m): 8:30am On Apr 11, 2011
enyojo:

THE STRATEGY OF ACN IS THAT THEY ALWAYS SELECT THE BEST CANDIDATES. [/b]YOU ARE FREE TO CALL THIS 'IMPOSITION'.

I agree with you. Tinubu is better than Funsho williams. Remi Tinubu is waaaaaaaaaay better than Mamora. Adefulire is better than SOsan.

In a democracy, there is no point for debates, past experiences are inconsequential, credentials are worthless, what really matters is what the head of the Gambino family thinks.

One head is always better than 200.

Omode [b]go
(silly), Agba gbon lafi da'le ife, init?

Poster: this is the smartest post ever. grin
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by enyojo(f): 8:40am On Apr 11, 2011
fstranger3:

I agree with you. Tinubu is better than Funsho williams. Remi Tinubu is waaaaaaaaaay better than Mamora. Adefulire is better than SOsan.

In a democracy, there is no point for debates, past experiences are inconsequential, credentials are worthless, what really matters is what the head of the Gambino family thinks.

One head is always better than 200.

Omode go(silly), Agba gbon lafi da'le ife, init?

Poster: this is the smartest post ever. grin

IF REMI TINUBU IS NOT AS GOOD LIKE UR UNDERTONE MAKES US BELIEVE, WAS RODHAM CLINTON THE BEST IN NEW YORK WHEN SHE RODE ON HER HUSBAND'S FAME TO WIN THE SENATE?
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by fstranger3(m): 8:49am On Apr 11, 2011
enyojo:

IF REMI TINUBU IS NOT AS GOOD LIKE your UNDERTONE MAKES US BELIEVE, WAS RODHAM CLINTON THE BEST IN NEW YORK WHEN SHE [b]RODE ON HER HUSBAND'S FAME TO WIN THE SENATE?[/b]

Are you actually comparing Hilary Clinton to air head Bimbo Remi Tinubu?

OMG ROFLMAO

When Bill Clinton was the president, who was the VP? WHere is Remi Tinubu's Law degree from Yale? Where is Remi Tinubu's experience prior to this?

Please. learn more about Hilary before you talk about her. And also, riding on a husband's popularity is different from imposition. Hilary fought for herself, she campaigned hard, debated her opponents, presented her ideas, and fought off oppositions within her party. SHE WAS NOT IMPOSED. The democrats dont impose candidates.

Riding on someone's fame is totally different form being imposed on people. You are so funny!

PS: To answer your question: YES, she was the best. She was also better than Obama, luck just wasnt on her side.

Hillary Vs Remi Tinubu. . . you must have just come back from your night duty as a call-girl. If not, you wont be comparing Remi Tinubu with Hillary Clinton!
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Akanbiedu(m): 9:27am On Apr 11, 2011
Lagosboy:

CPC is a 1 yr old party for goodness sake , there is so much Buhari can do, People should not ocmpare Buhari to Tinubu in terms of ACN´s success. Buhari is a candidtate , Tinubu is not and has all the time to go around doing some ground work. Ribadu ACNc candidate from the north has not won anything for ACN in the north so far which means he is a featherwight in politics.

CPC is constrained by money, Buhari did not accept money from most of those corrupt politicians who joined CPC. Buhari needs the presidency and most of those around him were from the TBO (The Buhari organisation). Although i thought CPC would do better in some states in the north, the popularity of the local candidates have been proven. Some analysis even on NL before this election have already said the legislative election will not be determining factor in the presidential election.

For example i am begining to think PDP might get 30% of SW votes because in all the states of the SW, PDP had at least 35-40% of the votes cast with the exception of Lagos. In fact in ogun state and oyo state PDP´s votes loss was in the region of 10% which shows the popularity of the local candidates. However in the presidential election i dont think this will happen as people will vote for personality as opposed to party.

ACN with all the heavyweights in 2007 could only win one state, 4 senators and few house reps slots albeit the electionw as rigged. Heavyweights like Audu Ogbe, Atiku, Naaba, Rimi, Princewill and a host of others. CPC i believe will be stronger in 4 years time especially if Buhari wins this election. I am not a CPC memebr by the way and I only support the candidacy of Buhari and nothing more.
Sounds like a load excuses, isn't it? So for all your Tinubu-is-bad rant, this is all you can offer

as explanation for CPC's disappointment. The earlier you guys drop your "Holier than thou" attitude,

the better.

I am still voting Buhari even though it's anti-party on my part. We hope many

Nigerians like you will have more sense of pragmatism to help take Nigeria back from the hands

of incompetent gang, not that Nigerians deserve better though.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by opalu: 9:52am On Apr 11, 2011
[size=25pt]TINUBU DESERVES PRAISE IN MY CANDID OPINION
HE FOUGHT OBJ FOR 8 YEARS, WON HIM POLITICALLY AND IN COURTS(LGA SAGA)
TODAY, HIS 'IMPOSED' BOYZ BEAT OBJ ALL AROUND HIS HOUSE IN OTA AND ABEOKUTA
TODAY, THE OBJ THAT CHASED MIGHTY OGD HAS BEEN CAGED BY ONE TINUBU AND YOU SAY JARUS IS WRONG TO SAY TINUBU DESERVES COMMENDATION?
TODAY, ANOTHER TINUBU BOY DEFEATED THE ADEDIBU'S SON IN OYO ( THE MIGHTY ADEDIBU THAT SHARED IDOLIZED FOODS TO THE POOR)
WE NEED FIGHTERS LIKE TINUBU WHO HAVE AWOLOWOLISTIC CHARACTERISTICS.[/size]
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Lagosboy: 9:55am On Apr 11, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Sounds like a load excuses, isn't it? So for all your Tinubu-is-bad rant, this is all you can offer

as explanation for CPC's disappointment. The earlier you guys drop your "Holier than thou" attitude,

the better.

I am still voting Buhari even though it's anti-party on my part. We hope many

Nigerians like you will have more sense of pragmatism to help take Nigeria back from the hands

of incompetent gang, not that Nigerians deserve better though.

Buddie , i have a right not to like someone and in this case it is Bola Tinubu. I have given no excuses for CPC but only stated the reality as it is. We are not holier than thou but only have some  principles that we hold on too. Imposition of candidates is not good and will never be good.

My post stated celarly i thought CPC would have done better in some states in the north but i was proven wrong.

(1) (2) (Reply)

As A Senator In 1992, I Was Earning N6,500 Per Month / Former Biafra leader, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu is dead. / Is OLUSOLA SARAKI Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.