Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State (2027 Views)

Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Nigeria's Most Powerful Politician - Onyebuchi Ememanka / Balarabe Musa: APC Will Turn Nigeria Into A One-Party State / Exposed!!! Bola Tinubu - Nigeria's Biggest Landlord @pdpmediaroom247 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Jarus(m): 7:25pm On Apr 10, 2011
Call them any name, there is no denying the fact that these are the men that have prevented Nigeria from degenerating into a one-party state. Tinubu could have joined PDP and will still maintain godfather status, even now at national level. If Tinubu defects to PDP, he stands to lose nothing. He will stil be commanding things. He has the money, ruggedity, connection and tricks to be a successful politician by PDP standard.

On the other hand, if not for Buhari, PDP would have overtaken everywhere in the North. ANPP's little grasp of some areas in the North is still due to Buhari's footprints there. Now CPC is making waves due to Buhari factor again. Buhari could, like fellow Generals Obasanjo, IBB, Gusau etc,have also joined PDP and run things the dirty way. He may not be able to clinch PDP presidential ticket due to his natural averseness to the PDP ways, but he would have still been a godfather in PDP, holding the key to locking and unlocking NW. Yet he refused to join PDP.

Give it to this men, they are heroes of democratic Nigeria.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by gernded(m): 7:29pm On Apr 10, 2011
na lie
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Jarus(m): 7:33pm On Apr 10, 2011
Gernded,
Can you reply with a superior analysis, rather than just saying 'na lie'. Let's your analysis to counter what I wrote.

This is why I select who I engage on Nairaland.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by EzeUche(m): 7:38pm On Apr 10, 2011
If it wasn't for Goodluck Jonathan who allowed free and fair elections, we not be hearing the name Buhari or Tinubu. Goodluck is the real hero in this election. The man kept to his word and he needs to be celebrated. Buhari and Tinubu are mere actors.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Gbawe: 7:39pm On Apr 10, 2011
I doff my hat for Buhari's clout. Simply awesome. Considering that the CPC is a new Party, and even factoring for defection from other Parties, it is laudable that the Party has won seats. Buhari is not rich yet his reputation is solid gold to many. Your analysis is spot-on but expect some to disagree because there are many Nigerians who are totally idealist with how they speak as if Nigeria is the USA or the UK.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by RichyBlacK(m): 7:46pm On Apr 10, 2011
Jarus:

Call them any name, there is no denying the fact that these are the men that have prevented Nigeria from degenerating into a one-party state. Tinubu could have joined PDP and will still maintain godfather status, even now at national level. If Tinubu defects to PDP, he stands to lose nothing. He will stil be commanding things. He has the money, ruggedity, connection and tricks to be a successful politician by PDP standard.

On the other hand, if not for Buhari, PDP would have overtaken everywhere in the North. ANPP's little grasp of some areas in the North is still due to Buhari's footprints there. Now CPC is making waves due to Buhari factor again. Buhari could, like fellow Generals Obasanjo, IBB, Gusau etc,have also joined PDP and run things the dirty way. He may not be able to clinch PDP presidential ticket due to his natural averseness to the PDP ways, but he would have still been a godfather in PDP, holding the key to locking and unlocking NW. Yet he refused to join PDP.

Jarus,

You subtly distinguished these two guys based on what you termed "the PDP ways", and what I'll call "corruption with impunity". However, despite this clear dichotomy in their philosophies, you still declare both men "heroes of democratic Nigeria"?

I don't think Tinubu, one of the symbols of primitive politics, corruption and thuggery in Nigeria, should be called a "hero" of democracy.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by efisher(m): 7:50pm On Apr 10, 2011
Yes they have contributed immensely to strengthening our democracy. We give them that. Congratulations on your new seats.

(Be sure to celebrate with us when GEJ wins the presidential election). Once again; welldone.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Kilode1: 7:54pm On Apr 10, 2011
Let's see if this will get to the front page too.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by fstranger3(m): 8:27pm On Apr 10, 2011
Jarus:

Gernded,
Can you reply with a superior analysis, rather than just saying 'na lie'. Let's your analysis to counter what I wrote.

This is why I select who I engage on Nairaland.

I no fit shout oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Anyway, it seems the OP is more interested in talking about personalities, instead of Ideas.
ANPP = PDP = CPC.     .    .   I stand to be corrected!.

Until we move away from the  politics of personalities, and begin to move towards making our institutions stronger and better, we will never move forward.

So If I may ask, what is wrong with a one party system WRT Nigeria. The reason other parties in the past do not seem to be doing well is bacause they all had one superstar(s) that everyone else looked up to.  AG, NPN, UPN, AD, APP are all dead or dying today because their principal starts either moved on or died

How a mafioso who imposes his friends and families on us is  a hero of our democracy remains to be seen. And how is a barely literate mallam whose selling point is his ability to subvert and undermine fundamental democratic principles a hero?

In the final analysis, for an idealess polity like ours, a stronger and more democratic  1 PDP, rather than 35 PDPs under different names and logos , is actually a better situation for us.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by MaiSuya(m): 8:41pm On Apr 10, 2011
gernded:

na lie

NA true! cool
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by pluto04(m): 9:07pm On Apr 10, 2011
Tinubu a hero of democracy? Na wa! Jarus dey fall my hand!!

I don't really know much about Buhari as a civillian politician. However, in my opinion, if democracy is government of the greedy, for the greedy and by the greedy, then Tinubu is a democrat. Ofcourse, to agree with your point, thanks to ACN, APGA, CPC, LP, Nigeria is not a one party state. However, is there any ideological difference between any of the parties? Are the main actors fundamentally different? If there is no ideological difference, then what is a one party state?

fstranger3:

I no fit shout oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Anyway, it seems the OP is more interested in talking about personalities, instead of Ideas.
ANPP = PDP = CPC.     .    .   I stand to be corrected!.

Until we move away from the  politics of personalities, and begin to move towards making our institutions stronger and better, we will never move forward.

So If I may ask, what is wrong with a one party system WRT Nigeria. The reason other parties in the past do not seem to be doing well is bacause they all had one superstar(s) that everyone else looked up to. AG, NPN, UPN, AD, APP are all dead or dying today because their principal starts either moved on or died

How a mafioso who imposes his friends and families on us is  a hero of our democracy remains to be seen. And how is a barely literate mallam whose selling point is his ability to subvert and undermine fundamental democratic principles a hero?

In the final analysis, for an idealess polity like house, a stronger and more democratic  1 PDP, rather than 35 PDPs under different names and logos , is actually a better situation for us.

I agree with this view.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by fstranger3(m): 9:13pm On Apr 10, 2011
^^^^

You analysis is inferior. Jarus only debates people with superior analysis; people like Gbawe who see things the way he does.

I no fit shout ooooooo grin
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by yeswecan(m): 9:24pm On Apr 10, 2011
Which Buhari?  Is is the same guy that masterminded a coup against a democratically elected government in the 80s? the episode that lunched a military change-hand among friends that ended with the death of Abacha ? It is bad enough to conduct a coup but obscene to the highest order to conduct a coup against a civil mandated government, one can only imagine the level of this country if the late 1970 democracy was allowed to survive. I think the poster was talking about a different guy - at least i like to think so.  

Tinubu a hero - funny boy - one funny thing about Tibnubu is that he practices what we despise most in PDP which is Godfather-ism, he does this in a one man show that lately manifested in imposition of spouse and tacit control of a full state without mandate.

I am happy ACN got more vote in this election because they will be tested. Since more people subscribed to ACN, the party will be tested and made to face scrutiny because with more popularity comes more understanding and more scrutiny.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Lagosboy: 9:25pm On Apr 10, 2011
Jarus:

Brother, I beg to disagree. Tinubu will simply never join PDP because being in the opposition is the foundation of his political relevance, Tinubu is not fighting for you and me but his personal political survival. Tinubu is no hero of democracy because democracy reflects the will of the people and in 1999 the will of the people in AD was buried and Tinubu given the ticket ahead of Williams.

There is no difference between Tinubu and the PDP people in terms of ideology and the last time I checked , outside the SW almost all CAN candidates were PDP people. PDP is not bad because PDP is a human being but bad because of the people there. Watch out to see how politicians will start to defect to ACN in the SW in the coming months.
We want to rid our politics from god fatherism, thuggery and crooked ways. CAN without Tinubu will go a long way in being successful. Anyone that imposes 6 members of his immediate family on the party in an election is fighting for himself not for the masses.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by aletheia(m): 9:42pm On Apr 10, 2011
The OP is just trying to put a spin on the rather disappointing performance of the CPC in the NASS elections. On this forum; Jarus and his cohort have tried to convince us that CPC was an unstoppable tsunami sweeping out of the NW, clearing all PDP structures before it to finally berth in Lagos. Now that the dust of the NASS elections is settling, with both PDP and ACN outperforming CPC even in perceived CPC strongholds (and confirming a fundamental law of politics; it is parties with structures on the ground that win elections); the shock to his system is making him elevate Buhari and Tinubu to the pantheon of Nigeria's heroes of democracy.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:50pm On Apr 10, 2011
aletheia:

The OP is just trying to put a spin on the rather disappointing performance of the CPC in the NASS elections. On this forum; Jarus and his cohort have tried to convince us that CPC was an unstoppable tsunami sweeping out of the NW, clearing all PDP structures before it to finally berth in Lagos. Now that the dust of the NASS elections is settling, with both PDP and ACN outperforming CPC even in perceived CPC strongholds (and confirming a fundamental law of politics; it is parties with structures on the ground that win elections); the shock to his system is making him elevate Buhari and Tinubu to the pantheon of Nigeria's heroes of democracy.

You may be right.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Kobojunkie: 10:55pm On Apr 10, 2011
^^^ Not, that [b]cannot [/b]be right! 

@Jarus and co. have NOT been campaigning for CPC  . . . any regular nairalander here would have noticed this-- BB group has been campaigning for Buhari/Bakare ticket, and NOT the entire CPC senate candidates,  or even the CPC Governorship Candidates. If you took a minute or two, to listen to the radio jingles paid for so far, you would easily come to the same conclusion that they seem concentrated on the Presidential ticket and no other ticket within the CPC. You only need to go to the groups report thread to realize how obvious this is.

ROFLMAO!!
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:57pm On Apr 10, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Not, she cannot be right!  @Jarus and co. have NOT been campaigning for CPC  . . . any regular nairalander here would have noticed this-- BB group has been campaigning for Buhari/Bakare ticket, and NOT the entire CPC senate candidates,  or even the CPC Governorship Candidates. You only need to go to the groups report thread to realize how obvious this is.

ROFLMAO!!

Don't the NASS results imply something about the future presidential election results though? If things look bleak for the entire CPC outside of Buhari, then for some people now might be a good time to elevate Buhari to the status of national hero to compensate for the reality on the ground.

As for Tinubu, I'm not sure he should be called a hero of democracy. That just seems like having low standards for heroes.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by fstranger3(m): 10:58pm On Apr 10, 2011
^^^

You may be right!
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by aletheia(m): 11:00pm On Apr 10, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Not, she cannot be right!  @Jarus and co. have NOT been campaigning for CPC  . . . any regular nairalander here would have noticed this-- BB group has been campaigning for Buhari/Bakare ticket, and NOT the entire CPC senate candidates,  or even the CPC Governorship Candidates. You only need to go to the groups report thread to realize how obvious this is.

ROFLMAO!!
Oh please. Try again. "Not been campaigning for the CPC"? This is rich coming from those that were trying to make this elections about parties (PDP vs. CPC vs. ACN); Only to now come and tell us that it's not the parties but the "individual". Good grief you are morphing into Beaf, who's all this while insisted that the election is about individuals not parties. To borrow your well-worn cliched phrase: ROFLMAO!!
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Kobojunkie: 11:01pm On Apr 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Don't the NASS results imply something about the presidential election results, though? If things look bleak for the entire CPC outside of Buhari, now might be a good time to elevate Buhari.

As for Tinubu, I'm not sure he should be called a hero of democracy.

As far as I am concerned, NASS elections might as well have happened on a whole different planet --- We have read posts from many on here who plan to vote one way for NASS and another for the Presidential. Their is only one major post up for grabs(I believe that is the presidential election next weekend) next weekend, and I don't think we can predict the outcome from the NASS results.

As for Tinubu, I have never been a fan of that man . . . especially after he sat on Lagos for 8 years allowing infrastructure rot in all that time while his followers blindly blamed it all on Obasanjo.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by fstranger3(m): 11:02pm On Apr 10, 2011
aletheia:

Oh please. Try again. "Not been campaigning for the CPC"? This is rich coming from those that were trying to make this elections about parties (PDP vs. CPC vs. ACN); Only to now come and tell us that it's not the parties but the "individual". Good grief you are morphing into Beaf, who's all this while insisted that the election is about individuals not parties. To borrow your well-worn cliched phrase: ROFLMAO!!

Kobo likes to go in circles.

Wait for her rebuttal
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Gbawe: 11:15pm On Apr 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Don't the NASS results imply something about the future presidential election results though? If things look bleak for the entire CPC outside of Buhari, then for some people, now might be a good time to elevate Buhari to the status of national hero to compensate for the reality on the ground.

As for Tinubu, I'm not sure he should be called a hero of democracy. That just seems like having low standards for heroes.

Going by your logic , GEJ may have a poor outing in the SW region as well !!! The reaity is somewhat in the middle i.e the legislative elections may illustrate Party strength but Presidential voting still remains unpredictable because a lot is said online that is a departure from reality on the ground. Many Argued , right here on Nairaland , that the PDP would still have a strong outing at all levels in the SW region. I told them this was not so and I predicted that , if elections were free and fair, the ACN will clear virtually all offices going . That has now happened at the legislative level. Same will happen at the guber level. At the Presidential level , even as things are a bit more vague, I suspect GEJ will not do as well as predicted . Many analyst predicted that the PDP will do okay in the SW legislative election . Instead the PDP were wiped out totally by the reality on the ground as Tinubu predicted to ridicule fom PDP Chieftains.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by aletheia(m): 11:20pm On Apr 10, 2011
^^As you rightly pointed out; the nature of parliamentary elections is different from the presidential elections. Have you considered the proportion of votes cast for each party in these elections? For example, in Ogun state you will realize that the factionalization of PDP into PDP/PPN was what actually gave ACN the victory there as the combined PDP/PPN votes outweighed the ACN. So don't be too sure that Ribadu will outperform GEJ in the SW.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Jarus(m): 11:44pm On Apr 10, 2011
@efisher, I will surely congratulate GEJ and wish him well, and work for his success, if he wins this election. This I have said in a thread asking what if GEJ wins some weeks ago. But I don't want him to win because I believe Buhari is a better candidate. And I have no regrets about that.

That said, I'm not a CPC member. If anything, I have sympathy for ACN more than even CPC because they are the party that have the highest no of performing elected officers.

On NASS outcome for CPC, as I type, the party has won 5 Senate seats(3 Katsina, 1 Kaduna, 1 Niger) with postponed Kaduna North going to be a walk-over and making a strong showing in Nasarawa too. Overall, that's not a bad showing for the party, even though I agree they focused more on Presidential and too less on others.

In Kano, PDP has won Senate seats,due majorly to the goodwill of Kwankwaso who will also win guber, and minorly due to Buhari's non-endorsement(raising hands up of) Abacha, which I'm personally ok with, but whoever thinks GEJ will repeat this feat next Saturday should be in for a shock. It is not for nothing that even in Kano PDP circles, it's Kano Sai Kwankwaso, Naigeriya Sai Buhari'. So Buhari will still sweep Kano. By the way, a GEJ that didn't win Kano PDP primary already knows he cannot win main election in Kano.

All these said, I'm supporting Buhari, not CPC. If Buhari contests under Accord Party, I'll give him my vote.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Jarus(m): 11:56pm On Apr 10, 2011
Also it is noteworthy that even among those of supporting BB on NL, we hold divergent views on many other political issues. For example, when issues come to discussion of Tinubu/ACN, my opinions converge more with Gbawe(a Ribadu supporter) than my fellow BBers(Kobojunkie and Lagosboy)
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by aletheia(m): 11:58pm On Apr 10, 2011
^^@Jarus: no one is saying GEJ will win in Kano. Because that is what you are arguing in the post above. I doubt if any of GEJ's most fanatic supporters believes that he will win in the NW.

The pattern we see in Kano is being replicated in Jigawa, Zamfara, Borno, Yobe, Nasarawa: all places we were led to believe are nigh impregnable CPC strongholds. Even your home state went PDP. What is the use of having a "popular" presidential candidate if it does not translate into victories for his party's national assembly candidates?

So CPC won 5, so far. Do you think they will win up to 12 in a 109 member chamber? What this translates to is that CPC is a regional party on the level of APGA. Even Labor party, a one-state party has 3 senators-elect. This is not a good sign for the Buhari campaign. At least one would have expected that Buhari's halo would have rubbed off on a significant proportion of his parties candidates. For example in the US, a lot of democratic party candidates rode on Obama's coattails into office. Why is this not the case in Buhari's own instance? After all, CPC is Buhari. It would appear that PDP's targeting of grassroots votes in the North is really damaging CPC because the question must be asked: why are the crowds we see at CPC rallies not voting for CPC candidates? Even if we set aside Kano as a special case

We cannot gloss over this question because General Buhari did ask his supporters to vote for CPC candidates in the NASS elections so that he will be able to have a NASS he can work with if he wins the presidency.

I believe this result actually confirms the naivety of the Buhari campaign organization: which failed to realize a primal law of modern party politics; The party with grassroots structures tends to do better than the one without. Personal popularity can only carry your party so far. Houses are built from the ground up, not roof down. Apparently CPC is trying to build a political structure from the head down. A strategy that was obviously doomed to fail.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by ektbear: 11:59pm On Apr 10, 2011
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Buhari erred badly in not focusing on party-building. There is value in building political structures that will outlast you. He could and should have focused his energy on sweeping the PDP out of the NW and NE more thoroughly. 2011 is not the only election Nigeria will ever have in its history; there is 2015 and beyond.

Very poor planning and strategy by Buhari and the CPC.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Kobojunkie: 12:18am On Apr 11, 2011
When I read some of the analysis on this election, I wonder if we are speaking of the very same Nigeria, or some new fantastical entity.

CPC is a tiny party compared to, say ACN, or the Labour Party, or even the PDP. It was only registered in November of 2010, but suddenly, we want a party of a handful to sweep the nation -- to fight and win against parties with more than one established politician? How? Was a party like ACN or even APGA able to do this in it's first year even? So why expect CPC to take it all in less than 6 months of it's existence? How?shocked
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by fstranger3(m): 12:19am On Apr 11, 2011
^^^

Never fails to change the direction of the argument
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Nobody: 12:20am On Apr 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Buhari erred badly in not focusing on party-building. There is value in building political structures that will outlast you. He could and should have focused his energy on sweeping the PDP out of the NW and NE more thoroughly. 2011 is not the only election Nigeria will ever have in its history; there is 2015 and beyond.

Very poor planning and strategy by Buhari and the CPC.

I think CPC is constrained by money.
Re: But For Buhari/tinubu, Nigeria Would Have Become One-party State by Kobojunkie: 12:21am On Apr 11, 2011
Aigbofa:

I think CPC is constrained by money.

Not just money . . . look at the names of the list and you see a bunch of literal UNKNOWNS on the list that need exposure and this not abnormal for a relatively new party . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Warri Boy (pic) / Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial / Mosque Bomb Blast Kills Four In Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.