Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,400 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? (422 Views)

Pope Francis Kisses President Salva Kiir Mayardit's Feet While Kneeling Down / Pastor Washes His Feet/Face On The Head Of His Church Members / Blood Flows From A Woman's Eyes, Feet, Head In Church In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by Princewell2012(m): 3:22pm On Feb 28, 2021
Happy Sunday to you all. Let me make it brief.

In John chapter 13. from verse 4 He riseth from supper and laid aside his garments, and took a towel and girded himself. 5. After that he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples feet and to wipe them with the towel where with his was girded.

Let me stop here, what actually is the essence of these?

Because some today's churches are doing it very often, and my feet have also been washed several times in the church. But I believe something is missing somewhere.

To my own understanding I think Jesus was just trying to emphasize about sharing and caring with each others as a Christian, I don't believe he gave it as a practice or a commandment for us to be washing our feet physically when ever we are gathered in the church.

Am just confused, does anyone knows a better meaning For these. Even those mega churches do practice it too.

Shalom.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by Princewell2012(m): 4:46pm On Feb 28, 2021
Happy Sunday.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:01pm On Feb 28, 2021
Princewell2012:

In John chapter 13. from verse 4 He riseth from supper and laid aside his garments, and took a towel and girded himself. 5. After that he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples feet and to wipe them with the towel where with his was girded.

Verse 15-17 of the John 13 already tells you!

Princewell2012:

Because some today's churches are doing it very often, and my feet have also been washed several times in the church. But I believe something is missing somewhere.

To my own understanding I think Jesus was just trying to emphasize about sharing and caring with each others as a Christian, I don't believe he gave it as a practice or a commandment for us to be washing our feet physically when ever we are gathered in the church.

Am just confused, does anyone knows a better meaning For these. Even those mega churches do practice it too.
Shalom.

All these ones are on a frolic of their own. They do not what The Lord commanded, so therefore, it is an emptiness as you perceive.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by enilove(m): 5:06pm On Feb 28, 2021
Princewell2012:

Shalom.

Jesus did that to show his disciples an example of humility , love and brokenness .

It is not something to be done by Christians . There is no where it is written that the apostles practiced that in the Bible.

The water used to wash your feet can be used to manipulate your life easily by the wicked ones .

1 Like

Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by bixton(m): 5:28pm On Feb 28, 2021
Princewell2012:

Shalom.

Why don't ask the pastor in your church where your feet was washed what it means before coming to ask if it's in line with the Scripture
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by Princewell2012(m): 6:24pm On Feb 28, 2021
enilove:

Jesus did that to show his disciples an example of humility , love and brokenness .

It is not something to be done by Christians . There is no where it is written that the apostles practiced that in the Bible.

The water used to wash your feet can be used to manipulate your life easily by the wicked ones .

God bless you so dearly. In fact you are a God's sent. Last week Sunday pastor said he get an instruction from God that we should come back In the evening for feet washing so that our lives will move forward this year 2021.

To cut the long story short, my wife told me that she saw one deaconess take out of the water with a ragoliss bottle and take it away. What Mavels me here was that our pastor did not change the water even with these coronavirus news the whole church deep their feet there. I have been very worried since then till I created this thread. Do you think our pastor is aware of the water been taken away, Though the remaining water were thrown away in my presence because am one of the minister.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by Princewell2012(m): 6:31pm On Feb 28, 2021
bixton:

Why don't ask the pastor in your church where your feet was washed what it means before coming to ask if it's in line with the Scripture
If you're the one will you ask him? I know it is biblical and it is in the Bible, but I just want to know the basic meaning for feet washing. I can also learn from you, don't you think so?
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by Princewell2012(m): 6:35pm On Feb 28, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Verse 15-17 of the John 13 already tells you!

All these ones are on a frolic of their own. They do not what The Lord commanded, so therefore, it is an emptiness as you perceive.

Thank you. Instead the church to help those in need,and take care of themselves. Instead they resorted in washing everybody feet. Is that what Jesus was portraying.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by bixton(m): 7:18pm On Feb 28, 2021
Princewell2012:

If you're the one will you ask him? I know it is biblical and it is in the Bible, but I just want to know the basic meaning for feet washing. I can also learn from you, don't you think so?

Please try and create a relationship with your pastor. Also if you see that as a hard task then do that with your house fellowship leader or Sunday school teacher or any other senior pastor you're drawn to.

I ask my pastor questions as it concerns the Scripture pertaining to things I don't understand.

I wanted you to know from your pastor so you know your ministry's view as to why they do feet washing.

Now if you read the Scriptures carefully the reason why Jesus did such to His disciples was to let them know that even as they were called to lead as leaders they ought to be servants and not lord themselves over others.

Another is that every one is expected to cater for his/her fellow brethren spiritually and physically according to what he/she possess in love willingly.

Also it's another form of cleaning/cleansing that keeps the church as one in Christ. This last was why Jesus said this to Peter .....John.13.8 - Peter said to Him, "You shall never wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me"

The bold here speaks about cleansing and final commissioning for His disciples to carry on the work of God from where Jesus will leave them as He was to be crucified.

The verse below is a conclusion to that...

John.13.20 - Most assuredly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me."

1 Like

Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by Princewell2012(m): 4:47pm On Mar 01, 2021
bixton:

Please try and create a relationship with your pastor. Also if you see that as a hard task then do that with your house fellowship leader or Sunday school teacher or any other senior pastor you're drawn to.

I ask my pastor questions as it concerns the Scripture pertaining to things I don't understand.

I wanted you to know from your pastor so you know your ministry's view as to why they do feet washing.

Now if you read the Scriptures carefully the reason why Jesus did such to His disciples was to let them know that even as they were called to lead as leaders they ought to be servants and not lord themselves over others.

Another is that every one is expected to cater for his/her fellow brethren spiritually and physically according to what he/she possess in love willingly.

Also it's another form of cleaning/cleansing that keeps the church as one in Christ. This last was why Jesus said this to Peter .....John.13.8 - Peter said to Him, "You shall never wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me"

The bold here speaks about cleansing and final commissioning for His disciples to carry on the work of God from where Jesus will leave them as He was to be crucified.

John.13.20 - Most assuredly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me."

Thank you so much for your input. Am really grateful.

Hmm you know in Holy communion we are asked to do it continually. Is it the same with feet washing? Thank you.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by Princewell2012(m): 4:49pm On Mar 01, 2021
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by bixton(m): 5:29pm On Mar 01, 2021
Princewell2012:

Thank you so much for your input. Am really grateful.

Hmm you know in Holy communion we are asked to do it continually. Is it the same with feet washing? Thank you.

You're welcome.
It's important you find out why your church is doing feet washing to enable you get more knowledge about it.

The church I attend we don't do feet washing.

Feet washing and taking Communion are two different things entirely.
Communion taking is done in respect to keeping the remembrance of the death and resurrection of Christ Jesus. It's expected that you have a right standing with God before partaking in it.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by Princewell2012(m): 6:10pm On Mar 01, 2021
bixton:

Yes, I have actually asked our resident pastor about it , and he said when he joined the church he also asked the senior pastor concerning it, and he told him that God instructed him to be doing it every first Saturdays in every month. You know we are all coming from different backgrounds. In were am coming from we don't do it either. So thats why am inquisitive about it.
Anyway am very close to both of them, you know this is ministry, there is no much you can do.

Though when the senior pastor was ministering about it he said the purpose is for the financial progress of the members .

God bless you so much for your time.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by bixton(m): 4:31am On Mar 02, 2021
Princewell2012:

Yes, I have actually asked our resident pastor about it , and he said when he joined the church he also asked the senior pastor concerning it, and he told him that God instructed him to be doing it every first Saturdays in every month. You know we are all coming from different backgrounds. In were am coming from we don't do it either. So thats why am inquisitive about it.
Anyway am very close to both of them, you know this is ministry, there is no much you can do.

Though when the senior pastor was ministering about it he said the purpose is for the financial progress of the members .

God bless you so much for your time.

That is one of the reasons I requested you find out from your pastor. Every church has its own doctrine............. But what you should ask God through His Spirit for is if that church doctrine is in line with His Word as written in the Scripture/Holy Bible.

Do well to have a personal study of the Holy Bible and meditate on the Word of God.

The prosperity of man is first in the knowledge of Christ Jesus and the right understanding of His Word.

There are various forms of knowledge........
Knowledge from God grows in man and worketh incorruptible things and the Holy Spirit betters man's understanding daily as he meditates on God's Word.

Shalom.
Re: What Is The Essence Of Feet Washing in the church ? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:44am On Mar 02, 2021
Jesus washed the feet of his followers taught so many things!

First of all during that period it was the custom of Jews to have some professional feet cleaners in the entrance of a wealthy man's house, this could either be a servant/slave of the rich man or paupers looking for something to feed. Once you get to the house of the rich man these ones will offer to wash your feet, use a towel to dry it and use oil to rob it so that your dusty feet becomes clean good looking.
For Jesus to have taken up such a task means he is sending them a message: They must be prepared to serve one another not boss around themselves!
Today how can we apply Jesus' teachings since we have professional shoe shiners around town?

We need to know that each and every member of the Christian congregation is to be treated like a celebrity and those who are to serve them are the leaders!
Secondly we must know that there is no tribalism in the new spiritual Temple (Christ) so whoever becomes our leader in the congregation doesn't matter as long as things is working fine we should cooperate with those taking the lead in the congregation of God.
These two can't work in today's churches where every Church overseer wants to be called Daddy GO and the people still allow racism to divide them! smiley

(1) (Reply)

How I was Saved From Being Killed By Evil Bandits/ Killer Herdsmen (video) / BREAKING: Prophet T.B Josuah Is Dead. / Tithes Are Not Meant For Only Pastors According To This Part Of The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.