Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,471 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? (2691 Views)

Islamic Group Demands Replacement Of French Language With Arabic In Kano Schools / Meet Yahaya Usman Ahmed Who Designed Aircraft From Scratch / Akinkunmi Taiwo, The Man That Designed Nigerian Flag Is 82 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by P1PrinceKT(m): 9:42pm On Mar 01, 2021
Revisited! Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It?

On various occasions and foras, there has been a recurrence of debate on the rightfulness of using Arabic which is presumed not to be a lingua Franca in Nigeria and also an effort to islamise Nigeria.

Only recently, a lawyer, Malcolm Omirhobo, sued the Federal Government on the issue of Arabic inscriptions on our currency and on the Nigerian Army’s logo.

The Lawyer who instituted a case at a Federal High Court wants the court to declare as “illegal, unlawful, and unconstitutional to allow the Nigerian Army logo to be adorned, and inscribed in Arabic language, instead of the official English language or Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo which are the three main languages or ethnic groups in Nigeria.”

Pontificating on the issue, Reno Omokri, former aide to ex-president Goodluck Jonathan, in an article he wrote on January 12, 2020, for ThisDay newspaper, wrote that, ”the Arabic Script on Naira notes has nothing to do with Islam. They only indicate the denomination of the Naira note in question. And the Arabic script on the Nigerian Army’s logo represents their motto. It does not carry an Islamic message.”

The Arabic letters on Nigerian Army logo is: Nasrunminallah which means: Victory Comes From God Alone. This particular motto was inscribed on the banner under which the Sokoto forces under the control of the Sultan fought the British in 1903.

BUT WHO INSCRIBED ARABIC On NIGERIAN ARMIES LOGO

Late RETIRED GENERAL DAVID EJOOR, gave an insight in his book Reminiscences, page 16, where he said that while in the Army, he had the mandate to design a new logo for the NA and he had to discard the old logo by the British which expresses the exploitation of the mineral wealth of Nigeria.

” In the colonial days, the cap badge of the army was a palm tree. This could be interpreted to represent the wealth of the country which the British were to exploit. For that reason, the palm tree had to go. Besides, the Action Group party had a palm tree as its symbol, and it was important that the army and a political party should not have the same symbol. My job was to seek a new meaningful design for the cap badge of the Nigerian Army. I set to work.”

“In seeking a new design, I was anxious that the symbol should reflect the duty of the army and should be capable of inspiring officers and men. As I searched, I remembered the battle between the British and the Sokoto forces in 1903. At that battle, the Sokoto forces had carried the Sultan’s flag with an Arabic inscription on it. That Arabic inscription I learnt meant, “VICTORY IS FROM GOD ALONE”. This, I thought was an excellent symbol that had meaning and could inspire. What is more, the British had themselves incorporated the symbol into the regimental colour which the Nigerian Regiment carried on parade. I decided to incorporate the Arabic INSCRIPTION INTO THE CAP BADGE TO REPRESENT DEFENCE…”

” Next, I searched for a symbol that would depict unity. I found an answer in Lugard’s interlaced triangles which he designed at the amalgamation to represent the coming together of NORTHERN and SOUTHERN NIGERIA. In choosing this symbol for the Nigerian Army cap badge, I hoped it would remind the Nigerian Soldier that his duty was to defend the unity and integrity of his country. I now had two symbols representing DEFENCE AND UNITY.”

Major-General David Akpode Ejoor (OFR, GCON) was born on January 10, 1932 in Ovu now in Ethiope East Local Government Area of Delta State. An Urhobo by ethnicity from Ovwor-Olomu, the young Ejoor attended Ovu CMS School 1939; Baptist School Ovu 1940, Native Administration School Orerokpe 1946-47; Government College Ughelli 1948-1952; Officer Cadet Training Centre Teshie Ghana 1953-54; Officer Cadet Training Unit Eaton Hall, Chester UK 1954; Royal Military Academy Sandhurst UK 1955-56; Instructional and Communications Training Hythe UK 1958; State College Camberley UK 1963 and Royal College of Defence Studies UK 1971.

As a federal officer during the civil war, he stood for the unity of Nigeria in spite of the turbulence of the period. After he was appointed Director at Army Headquarters he was given the task of traveling abroad to convince some foreign nations, notably the United State of America, France and India, to support the Nigerian side. He carried out this assignment with military dispatch and deep.

https://blackboxnigeria.com/revisited-who-designed-nigerian-armys-logo-with-arabic-inscription-on-it/

Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by MickzyDonald: 9:48pm On Mar 01, 2021
I'm not surprised that we have useless set of morons leading us, they execute their task based on their interest,its quite shameful that i came out from this country, no one to justify the hell they did except if the individual wanna bag some agreement with death

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by NIGHTMARE0O7: 1:41am On Mar 02, 2021
[All these shits are way too late ..where were the southerners when this shits were happening

4 Likes

Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by dawnomike(m): 6:35am On Mar 02, 2021
Alright... Nigeria was not this relion biased back then. Now, we need to re-design the whole country set.
Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by Ekemeze: 6:50am On Mar 02, 2021

3 Likes

Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by P1PrinceKT(m): 7:24am On Mar 02, 2021
NIGHTMARE0O7:
[All these shits are way too late ..where were the southerners when this shits were happening

It's The Christian Southerner that made the design.

1 Like

Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by NIGHTMARE0O7: 7:29am On Mar 02, 2021
P1PrinceKT:

It's The Christian Southerner that made the design.

I don't think so bro.. Nigeria lies too much don't blive that shit.
They will tell its southern but in real sense it may not be true.. Even if true he ain't the one who added that Arabic

1 Like

Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by NIGHTMARE0O7: 7:30am On Mar 02, 2021
Ekemeze:

1. The yorubas: busy ass licking their masters(hausas and fulanis).

2. Igbos; were definately fighting and hating the yorubas and ofcourse, chestbeating.

3. Ijaw, efik, ibibio and other minority ethnic groups were too dumb to even know what was happening outside their climes

Hmmm .
Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by P1PrinceKT(m): 7:35am On Mar 02, 2021
NIGHTMARE0O7:

I don't think so bro.. Nigeria lies too much don't blive that shit.
They will tell its southern but in real sense it may not be true.. Even if true he ain't the one who added that Arabic

And he is the one who writes that in his book.

Read the Post well.

If it can be changed to Hebrew today, I support it.
The meaning of the sentence should be understood by me , not the Language.

1 Like

Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by Kingluqman(m): 8:16am On Mar 02, 2021
Northerners grin
Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by Judybash93(m): 8:38am On Mar 02, 2021
They placed the entire army into the hands of god? No wonder
Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by OnlyDeCapPlease(m): 11:33am On Mar 02, 2021
dawnomike:
Alright... Nigeria was not this relion biased back then. Now, we need to re-design the whole country set.

I do not think that Arabic is synonymous with Islam just as English is not synonymous with Christrianity. The question is if Arabic is an official language in Nigeria, or if the inscription is saying something unsuitable.
Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by columbus007(m): 11:34am On Mar 02, 2021
Na ibb hand work.
Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by yetunsbay(m): 1:11pm On Mar 02, 2021
Arabic is jus a language.

The tree major languages are boldly written on 50naira note. So what has really changed ?

2 Likes

Re: Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It? by abdulahi90(m): 8:24pm On Mar 02, 2021
Who Designed Nigerian Army’s Logo With Arabic Inscription On It?

My Father Did, so what you gonna do?

(1) (Reply)

Lagos City Polytechnic, Ikeja. 2015/2016 POST UTME FORM..O7O39293182 / The Longest English Word I Ever Seen / Check Out The Man Who Invented "EXAMS" (pic) STUDENTS ONLY.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.