Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,901 members, 7,828,177 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Considering Relocating To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Considering Relocating To Nigeria (2674 Views)

I Am Considering Japa For The First Time In My Life. The Hardship Is Unbearable / Seeking Honest Advice: Considering Relocating Abroad - Need Your Thoughts / UK Considering Tougher Rules As Nigerians Bring Highest Number Of Relatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Hellopeopleyes: 6:50pm On Mar 02, 2021
Hi everyone. I currently live outside Nigeria but considering moving back to settle down. I have a remote job that pays equivalent of 700k naira per month. The major things I need advices on are:

1) Safest place to live in, and an idea of rent cost for a two bedroom there. I am single btw.
2) Side hustle/business to start to diversify my income

Thank you all in advance.

1 Like

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by InfernoNig: 6:52pm On Mar 02, 2021
Your village people at work here. Please find broom and flog the out of your body.

11 Likes

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by ednut1(m): 7:02pm On Mar 02, 2021
grin
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by johnpaschal(m): 7:15pm On Mar 02, 2021
Hellopeopleyes:
Hi everyone. I currently live outside Nigeria but considering moving back to settle down. I have a remote job that pays equivalent of 700k naira per month. The major things I need advices on are:

1) Safest place to live in, and an idea of rent cost for a two bedroom there. I am single btw.

Come down here to uyo Akwa ibom state....there's no place safer and heavenly like here and I have a business proposition incase you might wanna start your own independent income generation

5 Likes

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Hellopeopleyes: 8:09pm On Mar 02, 2021
johnpaschal:

Come down here to uyo Akwa ibom state....there's no place safer and heavenly like here and I have a business proposition incase you might wanna start your own independent income generation

Thank you. Which area in Uyo? And what kind of business, please?
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by johnpaschal(m): 8:17pm On Mar 02, 2021
Hellopeopleyes:

Uyo town depending on your taste and social life
I.e if you love your peace and quiet like me
Or you love it bubbling .in General they are all peaceful

Agricultural production, supply ,import and export ....you can never make losses as long as people eat.....where I stay is close to the Cameroonian border so it's easier to export or import produce and I have a friend who's into the business so the language difference which has been a problem for most business men won't be for us....

We are trying to take advantage of the present strike by the northern traders to move in goods so that when scarcity hits we'd be smiling to the bank....

We just lack capital I really wish you were around you'd have come see for yourself what a good mine the business is
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by BECALMBECALM(m): 9:45pm On Mar 02, 2021
Op, i do not know the reason why you choose to relocate to Nigeria. But all i can tell you here is to be VERY careful who you are discussing your relocation plans with. Times are hard and people are desperate. Take your time and plan very well and above all pray to God to guide you. God bless you bro.

6 Likes

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by jesmond3945: 11:13pm On Mar 02, 2021
Hellopeopleyes:

internet connection in Nigeria is not good for your remote job
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Nicoswit(m): 12:14am On Mar 03, 2021
Come to osogbo in osun state...pray for me later

3 Likes

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by 9JAFULLBREED(m): 12:32am On Mar 03, 2021
Hellopeopleyes:

Nigeria is not a country. Do you have plan B and C incase that your 700k remote job no work again?

2 Likes

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by maxell(f): 2:39am On Mar 03, 2021
You need stable power supply and internet coverage (data/bandwidth/speed) for your job. Important factors to consider.

1 Like

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Bossman(m): 4:53am On Mar 03, 2021
I concur. To be able to work remotely successfully in Nigeria you need constant power supply and very stable and fast internet connection. In a country where most internet connections are still done via cellular networks, it will not be easy.

3 Likes

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:02am On Mar 03, 2021
Hellopeopleyes:

Your Remote job
1. Get a detailed info how you can easily get your pay to naija. A domiciliary bank account or another option may be needed. Perhaps e-wallets. Remember that crypto has been banned. Do not joke with this. If you cannot have access to your money as soon as you land, you may be disoriented. And this will be the issue which will break you. Then, consider documentation like (National Identification Number which is like Social Security Number), and other things you need to do. Find out information about them before you move.

2. The nature of your job and how heavy you need to use the internet determine which option you should go for. Staying online 24/7 does not necessarily mean you need expenive connection. For light and constant access, all you need is to connect via your mobile phone. However, if you download or consume data seriously, you will need wireless or fiber optic connection. In short, your internet connectivity and choice of area you stay and cost of rent are directly proportional. You have better options in Lagos and Abuja.

Accomodation
You need to first calculate the cost of food and living expenses. It is not that expensive. But just do it. Since you are single, you will be fine. But please, move away from family members for now. This was a mistake many people made and I feel into the trap also. Get far away from family members. Do not ever settle for free accomodation first with them while you plan. It will drain you and change your plan negatively except you have good siblings. But generally speaking, it is not advisable. If your siblings are already getting married, move away.

Living below your income is paramount. Therefore, you have answers already. You need a house where you pay N150,000 to N400,000 max since you are single.

Safety
Nigeria is not unsafe. Relax bro. Your first 2 choices should be Lagos and Abuja. Then, look at the surrounding cities of these location. Lagos - Ogun and Oyo (Ibadan) are two locations you should consider. If you want cheaper rent and less traffic stress, Ibadan can be your choice. It is hard to say. But Lagos has many other advantages.

Side Hustle
Import a very good car. You can be an uber driver, or with another company. It will keep you going. Find out the kind of cars that are accepted and ship one down to Nigeria. It is also your personal car. You should go for fuel efficient one. You cannot go wrong with a Toyota. Import it yourself if you can instead of buying it when you get here.

From my suggestions above, you can see that these are self sufficient ways you can survive. You aren't relying on anyone. You do not need anyone to get these things done for you. You dont need any consultant. Focus on this and get settled. Remove your mind from fast profitable business. Your first assignment is to settle down and move your life forward without asking for financial help from anyone. While settling down, you start looking for opportunities. You start studying people.

There areas you should look into are:

1. Agriculture
Crop and livestock production. Go to Agricultural section here and start reading. Focus on vegetable farming. Livestock is good; however, the cost of production is high because the cost of feed is too high now. Without a car, you cannot practise it well. So, it is one of the reason it is paramount you import your car. Do not make the mistake of not doing this. You will move around to make deep research of what you want to do. Start from online and just keep reading. Do not employ any consultant. I beg you in God's name. Just start reading and digesting everything. When you want to start, go for training. It may not cost you more than N30k to N100k. Whichever, get all the facts ready. Do this after you are settled and you have known the ins and outs of Naija again. Do not rush it. Take your time.

2. Logistics
You can start small by importing mini buses. There are mini one (7 passengers) which are common in Lagos. I am not talking about tricycles. These ones are imported from Europe in cartons. They slice them into smaller fractions, pack them in a cargo, and them ship down. They are reassembled here again. Make your research. If you can even import them in, guy, import as many as possible. And go and keep them. When you land, just watch well. You can bring one out and use it to test ground. Or you can just get one or two here. However, you will need to know how contracts are done with drivers. They are dishonest people, but you can sail through if you learn the process well. If you arent shy or if you are tough, you can even run it yourself for like a month to know the ins and out. I have seen girls doing the business in Lagos. You should know that Lagos is the right place for you if you intend doing this. It is where you will make your profit fast. But while you are driving it, the idea is not to make massive profit. The job may not suit the kind of person you are cos there are too any issues involved. Quarels with parks and area boys, police, inspection officers, etc. But if you are not shy and you have a strong heart, pull it out yourself and see..its just a mini bus you dont need a conductor. And you can just do very early morning and retire before noon. And it may be just only one route. Do three trips and that is it for the day. I know this cos I had a discussion with a driver last year. The guy is an engineering graduate who used to work with a brand of phone and accessory sales company. He bought the mini bus and gave to a driver, but he said for good 10 months he had changed 15 drivers without any profit before he took over. So, he took 1 week break to test the road. He said he made research, and saw the chairman at the park. They introduce him to the runs, and he started. He said he started at 5am, and by 12noon on his first day on road, he was dazzled with the amount in his pocket. He was shocked. That was how he told his boss to keep his job and he went into it full time.

3. Online Businesses
Many people engage in different activities to make income. I have a feeling you know it well also. Perhaps, it is your remote business.

CAUTION
Make an exit plan. It is paramount you have a way to check out again if things do not go the way you.plan; otherwise, you will be locked up here. And 10 years will just pass you by. Then, you start getting pressed to start a family, and the next will be feeding your family. This is how you get trapped in a rat race.

Do not tell too many people about your itinerary.

Goodluck bro!

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Hellopeopleyes: 6:26am On Mar 03, 2021
PeaceLovJoy:

Your Remote job
1. Get a detailed info how you can easily get your pay to naija. A domiciliary bank account or another option may be needed. Perhaps e-wallets. Remember that crypto has been banned. Do not joke with this. If you cannot have access to your money as soon as you land, you may be disoriented. And this will be the issue which will break you. Then, consider documentation like (National Identification Number which is like Social Security Number), and other things you need to do. Find out information about them before you move.

2. The nature of your job and how heavy you need to use the internet determine which option you should go for. Staying online 24/7 does not necessarily mean you need expenive connection. For light and constant access, all you need is to connect via your mobile phone. However, if you download or consume data seriously, you will need wireless or fiber optic connection. In short, your internet connectivity and choice of area you stay and cost of rent are directly proportional. You have better options in Lagos and Abuja.

Accomodation
You need to first calculate the cost of food and living expenses. It is not that expensive. But just do it. Since you are single, you will be fine. But please, move away from family members for now. This was a mistake many people made and I feel into the trap also. Get far away from family members. Do not ever settle for free accomodation first with them while you plan. It will drain you and change your plan negatively except you have good siblings. But generally speaking, it is not advisable. If your siblings are already getting married, move away.

Living below your income is paramount. Therefore, you have answers already. You need a house where you pay N150,000 to N400,000 max since you are single.

Safety
Nigeria is not unsafe. Relax bro. Your first 2 choices should be Lagos and Abuja. Then, look at the surrounding cities of these location. Lagos - Ogun and Oyo (Ibadan) are two locations you should consider. If you want cheaper rent and less traffic stress, Ibadan can be your choice. It is hard to say. But Lagos has many other advantages.

Side Hustle
Import a very good car. You can be an uber driver, or with another company. It will keep you going. Find out the kind of cars that are accepted and ship one down to Nigeria. It is also your personal car. You should go for fuel efficient one. You cannot go wrong with a Toyota. Import it yourself if you can instead of buying it when you get here.

From my suggestions above, you can see that these are self sufficient ways you can survive. You aren't relying on anyone. You do not need anyone to get these things done for you. You dont need any consultant. Focus on this and get settled. Remove your mind from fast profitable business. Your first assignment is to settle down and move your life forward without asking for financial help from anyone. While settling down, you start looking for opportunities. You start studying people.

There areas you should look into are:

1. Agriculture
Crop and livestock production. Go to Agricultural section here and start reading. Focus on vegetable farming. Livestock is good; however, the cost of production is high because the cost of feed is too high now. Without a car, you cannot practise it well. So, it is one of the reason it is paramount you import your car. Do not make the mistake of not doing this. You will move around to make deep research of what you want to do. Start from online and just keep reading. Do not employ any consultant. I beg you in God's name. Just start reading and digesting everything. When you want to start, go for training. It may not cost you more than N30k to N100k. Whichever, get all the facts ready. Do this after you are settled and you have known the ins and outs of Naija again. Do not rush it. Take your time.

2. Logistics
You can start small by importing mini buses. There are mini one (7 passengers) which are common in Lagos. I am not talking about tricycles. These ones are imported from Europe in cartons. They slice them into smaller fractions, pack them in a cargo, and them ship down. They are reassembled here again. Make your research. If you can even import them in, guy, import as many as possible. And go and keep them. When you land, just watch well. You can bring one out and use it to test ground. Or you can just get one or two here. However, you will need to know how contracts are done with drivers. They are dishonest people, but you can sail through if you learn the process well. If you arent shy or if you are tough, you can even run it yourself for like a month to know the ins and out. I have seen girls doing the business in Lagos. You should know that Lagos is the right place for you if you intend doing this. It is where you will make your profit fast. But while you are driving it, the idea is not to make massive profit. The job may not suit the kind of person you are cos there are too any issues involved. Quarels with parks and area boys, police, inspection officers, etc. But if you are not shy and you have a strong heart, pull it out yourself and see..its just a mini bus you dont need a conductor. And you can just do very early morning and retire before noon. And it may be just only one route. Do three trips and that is it for the day. I know this cos I had a discussion with a driver last year. The guy is an engineering graduate who used to work with a brand of phone and accessory sales company. He bought the mini bus and gave to a driver, but he said for good 10 months he had changed 15 drivers without any profit before he took over. So, he took 1 week break to test the road. He said he made research, and saw the chairman at the park. They introduce him to the runs, and he started. He said he started at 5am, and by 12noon on his first day on road, he was dazzled with the amount in his pocket. He was shocked. That was how he told his boss to keep his job and he went into it full time.

3. Online Businesses
Many people engage in different activities to make income. I have a feeling you know it well also. Perhaps, it is your remote business.

CAUTION
Make an exit plan. It is paramount you have a way to check out again if things do not go the way you.plan; otherwise, you will be locked up here. And 10 years will just pass you by. Then, you start getting pressed to start a family, and the next will be feeding your family. This is how you get trapped into a rat race.

Do not tell too many people about your itinerary.

Goodluck bro!

Really comprehensive! I’ll consider all you’ve said, thank you very much.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Hellopeopleyes: 6:27am On Mar 03, 2021
Bossman:
I concur. To be able to work remotely successfully in Nigeria you need constant power supply and very stable and fast internet connection. In a country where most internet connections are still done via cellular networks, it will not be easy.

How about WiFi networks like Spectranet, Smile, etc?
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Hellopeopleyes: 6:29am On Mar 03, 2021
maxell:

You need stable power supply and internet coverage (data/bandwidth/speed) for your job. Important factors to consider.

But aren’t there places in Nigeria with relative stable electricity supply? Like 16-18 hours a day?
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Hellopeopleyes: 6:30am On Mar 03, 2021
jesmond3945:
internet connection in Nigeria is not good for your remote job

Where in Osogbo?
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Hellopeopleyes: 6:30am On Mar 03, 2021
johnpaschal:

Uyo town depending on your taste and social life
I.e if you love your peace and quiet like me
Or you love it bubbling .in General they are all peaceful

Agricultural production, supply ,import and export ....you can never make losses as long as people eat.....where I stay is close to the Cameroonian border so it's easier to export or import produce and I have a friend who's into the business so the language difference which has been a problem for most business men won't be for us....

We are trying to take advantage of the present strike by the northern traders to move in goods so that when scarcity hits we'd be smiling to the bank....

We just lack capital I really wish you were around you'd have come see for yourself what a good mine the business is

I’ll put it into consideration. Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Karlovych: 6:33am On Mar 03, 2021
Daura and Chibok are very safe.

1 Like

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Cashsteady(m): 7:40am On Mar 03, 2021
come to osun state. don't mind those saying uyo, uyo is freaking expenensive, the power is kinda poor and no money for uyo oo just local Akwa ibom citizens, but osun state has it all, good roads, good electricity, cost of living is damn low u will definitely enjoy it.
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Cashsteady(m): 7:41am On Mar 03, 2021
Hellopeopleyes:

come to osogbo osun state.. uyo is a expensive.. and
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by MufasaLion: 8:04am On Mar 03, 2021
I'd urge you rolocate to Lagos or Abuja if you want a good safety. Nigeria is not safe!. However, if you want side hustle, Agriculture is your best shot. You can venture into poultry farming (broiler or layers) but it's advisable to do that in Oyo, Ogun, Osun, Ondo due to its affordable cost of getting farmland and it's proximity to Lagos (if you want to reside in Lagos).
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by hammed71(m): 9:09am On Mar 03, 2021
Op peacelove joy gave you a perfect advice, don't renounce your foreign citizenship before coming in case things don't go as planned
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Bodyodour: 11:20am On Mar 03, 2021
Hellopeopleyes:

run for your life
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Hellopeopleyes: 2:27pm On Mar 03, 2021
hammed71:
Op peacelove joy gave you a perfect advice, don't renounce your foreign citizenship before coming in case things don't go as planned

Lol I don’t plan to.
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Hellopeopleyes: 2:27pm On Mar 03, 2021
MufasaLion:
I'd urge you rolocate to Lagos or Abuja if you want a good safety. Nigeria is not safe!. However, if you want side hustle, Agriculture is your best shot. You can venture into poultry farming (broiler or layers) but it's advisable to do that in Oyo, Ogun, Osun, Ondo due to its affordable cost of getting farmland and it's proximity to Lagos (if you want to reside in Lagos).

Thank you!
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by cooooooks(m): 2:40pm On Mar 03, 2021
If you can settle down somewhere with electricity, healthcare and minimal infrastructure, stay there.

If you're sick in Nigeria, sorry for you.

Police can stop you anytime.

Wanna travel? Sorry, too dangerous.

Just visit once every 2 years.

Do it for your children.

2 Likes

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Hellopeopleyes: 3:44pm On Mar 03, 2021
cooooooks:
If you can settle down somewhere with electricity, healthcare and minimal infrastructure, stay there.

If you're sick in Nigeria, sorry for you.

Police can stop you anytime.

Wanna travel? Sorry, too dangerous.

Just visit once every 2 years.

Do it for your children.

That’s true. Thank you for the advice.
Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by sweetmelanin(f): 5:45pm On Mar 03, 2021
Relocate to Ghana if you must.. Nigeria can be a hellish place to get accustomed to especially if you've been abroad for many years..

1 Like

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by int0x80(m): 12:38am On Mar 04, 2021
I would advise you visit Nigeria for like a month before making your final decision. Nigeria is a tough place to live.

1 Like

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by dasparrow: 5:32pm On Mar 04, 2021
For your type of job, you need stable electricity and WIFI internet. Internet in Nigeria is terribly expensive and power supply is abysmal. Find a country in Africa that has stable electricity and internet.

1 Like

Re: Considering Relocating To Nigeria by Bossman(m): 1:02am On Mar 05, 2021
Those are probably OK. But the speeds they advertise is not better than what the cellular networks will offer you. They may have better stability though. Nevertheless, Majority of the internet connections in Nigeria is via cellular networks. Very few homes have unlimited and very reliable internet connections. There are some jobs that require these connections to be VERY solid. As an IT software guy where one needs to connect to remote servers, upload code to repository, etc., A very solid connection is a must. When I visit Nigeria and have to log into work , the experience is usually not always the best. I use my WiFi hot spot device. I don't even waste time trying to do "real" work. Just read email, etc. Just too much lag.

Hellopeopleyes:

How about WiFi networks like Spectranet, Smile, etc?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Affordable Hotels In Central London - Any Suggestion? / I Ran Into Beggars In The Street Of America And United Kingdom...why? / Half Nak3d Woman Joins Queue At A Florida Airport [video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.