Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Gods Of Igbo Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Gods Of Igbo Culture (2597 Views)

Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision / Part Of Igbo Land Where You Mustn’t Kill A Python / Americans/Canadians Of Igbo Ancestry Storm Anambra, Get Igbo Names, Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gods Of Igbo Culture by prince2pac(m): 7:43pm On Mar 03, 2021
There are more than a 100 gods, both small and large in Igbo Culture but there are 9 popular gods (Alusi) I’ll outline

1. Ala (Ani, Ana)

Ala is the female god representing the earth, fertility, creativity and morality. She is the most respected god in igboland.

She is considered the wife of “Amadioha”, the sky god and commands authority in Igboland.

Ala was the first Alusi created by Chukwu the Creator God. Her name literally translates to ‘Ground’ in the Igbo, denoting her powers over the earth and her status as the ground itself. All ground is considered ‘Holy land’ as it is Ala herself.

The water that flows in and out of her represents the fountain of life and fertility she gives. With human fertility, Ala is credited for the productivity of the land.  In Odinani, Ala rules over the underworld which holds the deceased ancestors in her womb.

It is believed that in her stomach is were the dead and the living reside. Ala uses the snake as one of Her messengers. As the goddess of morality, Ala is involved in judging human actions and is in charge of Igbo law and customs known as Omenala.

Taboos and crimes among Igbo communities that are against the standard of Ala are called nsọ Ala. Ala’s messenger and living agent on earth is the python (Igbo: éké), which is especially revered in many Igbo communities.

In art, Ala is often represented as a regal figure seated on a throne, surrounded by her family. In the past, such figures took the form of life-size mud sculptures in special festive shrines dedicated to the deity and known as Mbari.

Ala is in charge of conserving that which is created. While Chukwu is the giver of the moral law, Ala is the enforcer of the law. Ala is also the “womb” that holds and nurtures and renews when necessary.

Chukwu and Ala are meant to represent the differences and complement between the sexes in Igbo culture. This principle of duality extends to minor gods as well.

Some of these deities are “male” gods associated with masculine rituals such as circumcision or with male-dominated professions such as iron smithing and carving.

Others are “female” deities, such as those associated with protecting vegetable traders and cloth weavers—who in the Igbo traditional world tended to be dominated by women.

lalasticlala

https://medium.com/african-history-collections/the-forgotten-gods-of-igbo-land-3030771eaf8b

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by prince2pac(m): 7:49pm On Mar 03, 2021
2. Amadioha

Amadioha is the God of thunder and lightning. He is also known as Kalu Akanu, Kamalu, Kamanu, Ofufe. Amadioha means “free will of the people”

He represents the collective will of the people. Amadioha is among the most popular of Igbo Alusi.

He is often associated with Anyanwu, who is the God of the Sun. His day is Afo, which is the second market day of the Igbo four day week. His (skin) color is red, and his symbol is a white ram. He is the Igbo god of thunder/lightning.

He is therefore considered “Owner of the Sky.” Amadioha is presumed to be a gentle deity who gets violent only when provoked. Amadioha is first and foremost known as a god of justice. He speaks through thunder, and he strikes with lightning.

He creates thunder and lightning by casting “thunderstones” down to earth. “Amadioha magbukwa gi” – Amadioha will punish you. Persons judged guilty by Amadioha are either killed by lightning (which leaves a black mark on the forehead) or attacked by a swarm of bees.

The property of the victim is usually taken by the priests of Amadioha, and the body is left unburied and the victim unmourned, as the punishment is considered to be a righteous one from God. Oaths are often sworn to him, which can carry deadly penalties when broken.

Amadioha can only be appeased by transferring the curse to a live goat that is let loose outside of the walls of the community. [Scapegoat] The ram is a common offering for him. The priestly clan of Amadioha are known as Umuamadi, which translates to children of Amadioha.

Besides justice, Amadioha is also a god of love, peace and unity, and is prayed for increase of crops, children in the home, and benevolence. In some traditions, Amadioha is also considered to be a creator god.

Human beings were made by him when he sent a bolt of lightning down to strike a silk cotton tree, which split and revealed a man and a woman. Amadioha is often shown as a husband to Ani, who is the Earth mother.

While Ani is considered to be the lawmaker of Igbo society (which is known as Odinani), Amadioha is the enforcer and protector of the law. In some Igbo traditions, the pair are said to be the first Alusi to have been created by Chukwu. The two are often honored with Mbari houses.

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by prince2pac(m): 7:55pm On Mar 03, 2021
3. Ikenga

Ikenga is a horned Alusi. Ikenga (“place of strength”) is one of the most powerful symbols of the Igbo people and the most common cultural artifact. It is mostly maintained, kept or owned by men and occasionally by women of high reputation and integrity in society.

It comprises someone’s Chi (personal god), his Ndichie (ancestors), Ikenga (as right hand), ike (power) as well as spiritual activation through prayer and sacrifice. Among the Isoko people, there are three types of personal shrine images:

Oma, which represents the “spirit double” that resides in the other world; Obo which symbolizes the right hand and personal endeavor and the lvri which stands for personal determination. The two-faced Ikenga is the oldest concept of Ikenga.

It is a two-faced god of Time, with one face looking at the old year while one face looks at the new year. This is the basis of the oldest and most ancient Igbo calendar. As a god of beginnings, it has the praise name of Ikenga owa ota.

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by prince2pac(m): 7:58pm On Mar 03, 2021
4. Agwu Nsi is the God of health and divination, and medicine men. He is used to understand good and evil, health, sickness, wealth and poverty, and fortune and misfortune.

Agwu is a trickster alusi, The trickster is capable of being either sex at anytime, or neither sex.

Respected and feared, Agwu is capable of sowing confusion in the mind of even the clearest reasoner. Agwu, however, can also clarify confusion, even when it is caused by human stupidity, the finite capacity of the human mind, or the evil actions of other persons or gods.

If it pleases Agwu to protect or “work with” a thinker, unparalleled lucidity may be attained. But if it pleases the god to sow confusion in someone’s mind, there is nothing anyone can do about it—except work with Agwu to lift the curse or

devise a technique of information gathering that overcomes the external confusion wrought by Agwu. Agwu is most dreaded by Dibia whose success as diviners depends on clarity of mind.

Dibia are therefore taught ritual sacrifices that they must make to Agwu at the beginning of every divination session.

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by prince2pac(m): 8:02pm On Mar 03, 2021
5. Igwekala:

Igwekala is visited every 4 years as a masquerade around the December period.

It is a feared and respected deity in Igbo land, as no one can come close to it once it enters the community.

Its shrine can be found in Umunoha, a town in Imo state near Owerri.
Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by prince2pac(m): 8:04pm On Mar 03, 2021
6. Anyanwu

Anyanwu is a believed to dwell in the Sun. Anyanwu means “Eye of the Sun” (Anya = Eye, Anwu = Light or Sun). Some people call Her Anya Oku meaning Eyes of the Fire or Eye of the Light. She is a messenger, visionary and worker.

Anyanwu carries two staffs symbolizing Fire and Light.
Anyanwu was seen as the perfect image of what a human should be.

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by prince2pac(m): 8:07pm On Mar 03, 2021
7. Njoku Ji

This is the guardian deity of yam in Ala Igbo. In many parts of Igbo land, rituals were made in honor of the goddess of yams, also known as ifejioku.

She is prayed to, for productivity during the farming season.

Children who were dedicated to this goddess were called Njoku, and were expected to be prosperous in life.

Ahanjoku festival is celebrated a full moon before the new yam festival.

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by prince2pac(m): 8:10pm On Mar 03, 2021
8. Idemili

Idemili is a River goddess of Nnobi in Anambra state. Idemili is also known as Eke Mili meaning “Python of the Sea”.

A story relates that when a child is born in Idemili, the short python crawls to the place where the baby is kept and curls around the child harmlessly to the admiration of the parents of the little child.

It is said that visit of the snake to people’s homes could mean different thing as the snake is said to have the power to bring good or bad tidings. For instance, a noble person is about to pass on, a python could visit a relation of the person by dying in the house of the person

Its shrine can be found in that community and is one of the oldest shrines in igbo land

It is a secret shine & the worship of pythons (eke) happen. Hence the killing of pythons in that area is forbidden

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by prince2pac(m): 8:12pm On Mar 03, 2021
9. Ogbunabali

Meaning “one who kills at night” is a traditional Ikwerre Death deity. His name has already described his functions

He kills his victims at night. His victims are criminals and those who have committed an unspeakable taboo. He is the companion of Ekwunsu.

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by macof(m): 11:47pm On Mar 03, 2021
prince2pac:
4. Agwu Nsi is the God of health and divination, and medicine men. He is used to understand good and evil, health, sickness, wealth and poverty, and fortune and misfortune.

Agwu is a trickster alusi, The trickster is capable of being either sex at anytime, or neither sex.

Respected and feared, Agwu is capable of sowing confusion in the mind of even the clearest reasoner. Agwu, however, can also clarify confusion, even when it is caused by human stupidity, the finite capacity of the human mind, or the evil actions of other persons or gods.

If it pleases Agwu to protect or “work with” a thinker, unparalleled lucidity may be attained. But if it pleases the god to sow confusion in someone’s mind, there is nothing anyone can do about it—except work with Agwu to lift the curse or

devise a technique of information gathering that overcomes the external confusion wrought by Agwu. Agwu is most dreaded by Dibia whose success as diviners depends on clarity of mind.

Dibia are therefore taught ritual sacrifices that they must make to Agwu at the beginning of every divination session.

Seems to me as if some parts of this is about Ekwensu

2 Likes

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 04, 2021
This one want to Bleep the world

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by descarado: 10:28am On Mar 05, 2021
macof:

Seems to me as if some parts of this is about Ekwensu
So true.

Guy should do his research well.
Also remove those 4D pictures. Has it come to hat? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by macof(m): 1:50pm On Mar 05, 2021
Who knows more about Ngwu, father of Ikenga?

I suspect this is the igbo variant of Yoruba Ogun

1 Like

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by Nobody: 5:28am On Mar 07, 2021
In this 2021, someone using internet and who claims to be literate is still carrying pictures of caricatures around. Just carved out wooden images are what this one brings out here. Lol. Mehn! How a man in his senses will allow him to be deceived to this point baffles me. Some of them too will be shouting gods of Yoruba, and gods of hausa. Which gods? The one of thunder which is powerless? The one of iron which fake? Where are gods and they can't deliver Nigeria from poverty? The gods are all fake fake fake. We have read about politicians going to swear in those powerless shrines. At last, the politicians still betray themselves and nothing happens to them. What about Orji Uzo Kalu and his many shrines whatever that is coming out? The guy who is bursting him...has anything happened to him?

I will NEVER worship.....man made God. Never!

There is ONLY one TRUE GOD. And He is the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob. All other gods are the works of men. Just ordinary wooden carved. Even the British stole so many into those days. Funny.... that they can steal a God, and you still think it is your savior. Your head needs real examination. In this 2021. What a mess? I weep for anyone involved in this mess. Chai!

I know one true God. I have tested Him, and the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob will NEVER fail. NEVER! Try him today!

Goodluck!
Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by Phut(f): 7:24am On Mar 07, 2021
Prince2pac, this is very informative. Please, post more.

1 Like

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by prince2pac(m): 1:30pm On Mar 07, 2021
PeaceLovJoy:
In this 2021, someone using internet and who claims to be literate is still carrying pictures of caricatures around. Just carved out wooden images are what this one brings out here. Lol. Mehn! How a man in his senses will allow him to be deceived to this point baffles me. Some of them too will be shouting gods of Yoruba, and gods of hausa. Which gods? The one of thunder which is powerless? The one of iron which fake? Where are gods and they can't deliver Nigeria from poverty? The gods are all fake fake fake. We have read about politicians going to swear in those powerless shrines. At last, the politicians still betray themselves and nothing happens to them. What about Orji Uzo Kalu and his many shrines whatever that is coming out? The guy who is bursting him...has anything happened to him?

There is ONLY one TRUE GOD. And He is the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob. All other gods are the works of men. Just ordinary wooden carved. Even the British stole so many into those days. Funny.... that they can steal a God, and you still think it is your savior. Your head needs real examination. In this 2021. What a mess? I weep for anyone involved in this mess. Chai!

I know one true God. I have tested Him, and the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob will NEVER fail. NEVER! Try him today!

Goodluck!
well maybe you see it as foolishness or whatever, but Amadi doesn't care..

Maybe you don't even believe in God than I do, maybe you don't fast, pray or even preach the word of God than I do, but bro one thing I believe in this life is "My culture and heritage will not be lost in my generation". Ask yourself this question, HAVE ALL OUR ANCESTORS BEEN GOING TO HELL THE COMING OF THE WHITE MAN HERE? The answer I will tell is no. I don't care wether they were real, potent or not but I know my forefathers respected it during their time. The lived a more righteous life than us, the believed in the truth, and were scared of what would happen if they went wrong.

As I'm saving the contents in my phone, so is a Muslim, Buddhist, or whoever is saving theirs, if Buddhist or Muslim have come to us before Christianity, you will still criticize the Christian like you are doing now.

This is my history, this is who we are as Igbo's, I love everything about it even as a Christian because what the Bible preaches to me is love and peace....

Now to tell you more, I didn't just save all these in my phone, I'm also from a town mentioned above..

1 Like

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 07, 2021
prince2pac:
well maybe you see it as foolishness or whatever, but Amadi doesn't care..

Maybe you don't even believe in God than I do, maybe you don't fast, pray or even preach the word of God than I do, but bro one thing I believe in this life is "My culture and heritage will not be lost in my generation". Ask yourself this question, HAVE ALL OUR ANCESTORS BEEN GOING TO HELL THE COMING OF THE WHITE MAN HERE? The answer I will tell is no. I don't care wether they were real, potent or not but I know my forefathers respected it during their time. The lived a more righteous life than us, the believed in the truth, and were scared of what would happen if they went wrong.

As I'm saving the contents in my phone, so is a Muslim, Buddhist, or whoever is saving theirs, if Buddhist or Muslim have come to us before Christianity, you will still criticize the Christian like you are doing now.

This is my history, this is who we are as Igbo's, I love everything about it even as a Christian because what the Bible preaches to me is love and peace....

Now to tell you more, I didn't just save all these in my phone, I'm also from a town mentioned above..

Look at the bolded phrase. Bro, change your history before it is too late. Your fore fathers are weak. If they are strong, your land and other parts of Nigeria will not be like this. If their gods are strong, no one can deceive them. They failed, and that failure is what you want to follow. The degree of their stupidity was terrible, yours will be extremely disastrous. These man made gods are fake and powerless. And those wooden images are what you want to start worshipping. Lol. In 2021.

I repeat, these are powerless gods. From Ibo to Yoruba to Hausa to Fulani to Efik to Ijaw to Calabar to wherever...all these are caricatures. I call them "man made gods".

There is ONLY one GOD. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I can bet my life on Him. If you bring these wooden decorations close to me, it is in your eyes I will pour gas on them and burn them Right in your eyes, they will turn to ashes. And that's the end.

We always sing a song:

All other gods
They are the work of men
You are the ONLY GOD (God of Abraham)
There is none like you.

Goodluck to you!
Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by prince2pac(m): 2:14pm On Mar 07, 2021
PeaceLovJoy:

Look at the bolded phrase. Bro, change your history before it is too late. Your fore fathers are weak. If they are strong, your land and other parts of Nigeria will not be like this. If their gods are strong, no one can deceive them. They failed, and that failure is what you want to follow. The degree of their stupidity was terrible, yours will be extremely disastrous. These man made gods are fake and powerless. And those wooden images are what you want to start worshipping. Lol. In 2021.

I repeat, these are powerless gods. From Ibo to Yoruba to Hausa to Fulani to Efik to Ijaw to Calabar to wherever...all these are caricatures. I call them "man made gods".

There is ONLY one GOD. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I can bet my life on Him. If you bring these wooden decorations close to me, it is in your eyes I will pour gas on them and burn them Right in your eyes, they will turn to ashes. And that's the end.

We always sing a song:

All other gods
They are the work of men
There is none like you.

Goodluck to you!
☮️ ☮️ peace bro, good luck
Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by macof(m): 6:12pm On Mar 07, 2021
PeaceLovJoy:

We always sing a song:

All other gods
They are the work of men
There is none like you.

Goodluck to you!

Let me give you a run down on how much of Hebrew history is rife with them being subjugated by others

1. 18th dynasty Kemet, particularly under Thutmose III
Kemet (ancient Egypt) swept across Canaan like hot knife through butter, conquering many Canaanite tribes including the would be Israelites
2. Assyrian conquest of the (northern) kingdom of Israel
3. Babylonian captivity of the people of Judah
4. Persian rule over all the aforementioned people including the Hebrews
5. Roman colonisation that lasted into the middle ages brouhaha with the area being a major site for European crusaders and muslims to take their turns ruling
6. Ottoman rule of Israel until 1917
7. Nazi massacre and genocide of Jews

So look here, Hebrews have been thoroughly beaten people in history with no achievement outside theology and their religion serving as part of the catalyst of certain present religions

So if the god of Israel was powerful and not weak and a failure I wonder why his people have always been beaten and conquered by others

At least the igbo and Yoruba etc were only colonised once and only recently( till the 1960s)

Before you can call African Gods failure, that tag should go to your foreign Hebrew god

3 Likes

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 07, 2021
macof:

Let me give you a run down on how much of Hebrew history is rife with them being subjugated by others

1. 18th dynasty Kemet, particularly under Thutmose III
Kemet (ancient Egypt) swept across Canaan like hot knife through butter, conquering many Canaanite tribes including the would be Israelites
2. Assyrian conquest of the (northern) kingdom of Israel
3. Babylonian captivity of the people of Judah
4. Persian rule over all the aforementioned people including the Hebrews
5. Roman colonisation that lasted into the middle ages brouhaha with the area being a major site for European crusaders and muslims to take their turns ruling
6. Ottoman rule of Israel until 1917
7. Nazi massacre and genocide of Jews

So look here, Hebrews have been thoroughly beaten people in history with no achievement outside theology and their religion serving as part of the catalyst of certain present religions

So if the god of Israel was powerful and not weak and a failure I wonder why his people have always been beaten and conquered by others

At least the igbo and Yoruba etc were only colonised once and only recently( till the 1960s)

Before you can call African Gods failure, that tag should go to your foreign Hebrew god

Return to the history books and you got the above and read again. Get wisdom and know why exactly the defeats came into play. And read the predictions there if they weren't fulfilled or not. I am not forcing you to use your head well, but at least, use just 0.1% of your brain naooo. You are carrying wooden decorations carved out by your own fellow man, you call them gods, and you are bold to defend your action. Lol. This is the highest level of stupidity.

A beg, feel free to continue worshipping them. In 2021, people can still exist worshipping woods made by their fellow men. Mehn! Some people cannot be saved. 2021!!! shocked

All other gods
They are the work of men
You are the ONLY God (JEHOVAH, God of Abraham)
There is none like you.

God, I beseech you, let me not be stu.pid to the extent of worshipping a wooden, metallic, plastic etc images made by another man. I will always use my brain. May I not be foo.lish and lose my sense of reasoning to the extent of even arguing to defend such stup.idity. And I pray for every st.upid human under this bondage to be delivered. Lord, I dont understand how some people who claim to be literate in 2021 will carry wooden lifeless images and call them their gods. Hmmmm! Some people are indeed st.upid.

May you see light and be free soon.

Goodluck!
Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by macof(m): 1:41am On Mar 08, 2021
PeaceLovJoy:

Return to the history books and you got the above and read again. Get wisdom and know why exactly the defeats came into play. And read the predictions there if they weren't fulfilled or not. I am not forcing you to use your head well, but at least, use just 0.1% of your brain naooo. You are carrying wooden decorations carved out by your own fellow man, you call them gods, and you are bold to defend your action. Lol. This is the highest level of stupidity.

A beg, feel free to continue worshipping them. In 2021, people can still exist worshipping woods made by their fellow men. Mehn! Some people cannot be saved. 2021!!! shocked

All other gods
They are the work of men
You are the ONLY God (JEHOVAH, God of Abraham)
There is none like you.

God, I beseech you, let me not be stu.pid to the extent of worshipping a wooden, metallic, plastic etc images made by another man. I will always use my brain. May I not be foo.lish and lose my sense of reasoning to the extent of even arguing to defend such stup.idity. And I pray for every st.upid human under this bondage to be delivered. Lord, I dont understand how some people who claim to be literate in 2021 will carry wooden lifeless images and call them their gods. Hmmmm! Some people are indeed st.upid.

May you see light and be free soon.

Goodluck!

Stupidity is really your watchword.

There is nothing else to say. Your earlier comment made it clear that people only get conquered when their deities are weak.
You cannot justify the utter uselessness of your foreign Hebrew god to the Hebrews whose entire history is that of being conquered. Why would you foolishly compare Yoruba or Igbo God to Hebrew God if it is about who got conquered least? answer this

Even the Nazis beat the living shit out of them and you come here trying to bash people who don't worship your weak god

I'm using your own logic here so run that down real quick and answer the question if you still have anything to say

Stupidity is when one can't tell that sacred images are not worshipped as the Gods but rather held as sacred objects.
You are in such loss of touch with reality because its not just ignorance here it's something worse to not know that humans like to have physical representations and use symbolisms. So dummie, those wooden images are not worshipped by anyone

Get tha fvck out with your nonsense. You could have ignored the thread but you chose to be an iidiotic fellow like the typical bigoted hate filled slave that you are.
What stooped you from clicking out of the thread instead of coming to attack a people's heritage and beliefs?

3 Likes

Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by Nobody: 4:41am On Mar 08, 2021
@macof,
Continue carrying your wood around.
Continue calling God, the God of Hebrew. Lol. That's the same God the Americans wrote on their currency saying "In God we Trust". The same God many in Indians are following despite the high rate of idolatry there. This God has many followers in all nations in the world. This God has moved beyond Hebrews to all over the world. But your own gods were stolen by men like you. They put them in sacks and too them away. Never will I serve useless gods taking away in sacks. They kept them in museums using them as art, and using them to make money.Lol. And they have been there for many years. Hahahahha. Go and read your history well and get understand what happened to those who stole the ark of this God. Your history is incomplete.

Your gods who doesnt even know today, are these gods which will tell you the future? Lol. Return to your history and find answers which correct all you mentioned, you will read that this God had said these things would happen. Even this God has told you what is going to happen soon again. Yet, your gods were taking away by the British, sold them everywhere, displayed them in museums, and even now, blind people like you are trying to buy them back. And your gods cannot defend themselves. In 2021..hahhahahha. Foolis.hness is a strong infection. Hahahahhaha!

Dey deceive yourself. I have told you that you need to return to your history lessons. Your logic is below mine. You cannot compare my reasoning with yours. If you can carry wooden images about, you are not in my level. Never! Your logic is faulty and messed up. The simple truth is that I dont rely on logic. So, try to play "poka" and gamble with what you called "my logic". Whereever you land is your business. The more you look, the less you see.

My own God has the ability to leave stubborn set of people. Go and read your history very well, but your gods are powerless. I will just soak them in petrol and put light on them....before you.know it.... they are down to ashes. And you are fighting over an ordinary image. See eh....you need help.

Very funny that you saw failure (in your view) somewhere, and that failure is what you want to use to justify your own stu.pidity. lol. You desperately want to prove God failed, and for that reason, you are saying rubbish. You have the liberty to fail again. Of course, who am I to stop you from failing again? Who am I to warn you? Feel free to fail again and again. Because you believe God failed (in your view), so you can fail with a wood. Lol. It is your cup of tea.

I am just telling you again and again...your gods are powerless. I dont expect you to take it easy.

Let me sing you another song:
Jesus, na you be my God (2times)
All other gods, na so so ye ye
Every other god, na so so ye ye.

If you like, carry on of these useless man-made images in your pocket/luggage, or wear around your neck, and go carry drugs to Asia thinking it will keep you from the immigration boys, na six feet below sharply. If you like, continue "jam talking", you will hear it soon. It is your mouth and hands you use to say and type them.

I close it here with you and the OP. Continue posting nonsense. Just ordinary images made by men like you. grin And you are writing so desperately to defend it.

This is my last post on this thread.

Goodluck!
Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by irisher: 7:52am On May 04
In Igbo culture and tradition, we practice polytheism(many gods) system of worship while the Christian and other religions believes in monotheism(Almighty God)
Ana is considered a God on its own, and wasn't created by Chukwu or any supreme God.
Ana is not a wife of any God, procreation is only meant for humanity and not meant for gods.
Ndi Ichie(ancestors) na ndi Ikenga are noble spirits & deities they're everywhere.

prince2pac:
There are more than a 100 gods, both small and large in Igbo Culture but there are 9 popular gods (Alusi) I’ll outline

1. Ala (Ani, Ana)

Ala is the female god representing the earth, fertility, creativity and morality. She is the most respected god in igboland.

[s]She is considered the wife of “Amadioha”, the sky god and commands authority in Igboland.
[/s]
[s]Ala was the first Alusi created by Chukwu the Creator God.[/s] Her name literally translates to ‘Ground’ in the Igbo, denoting her powers over the earth and her status as the ground itself. All ground is considered ‘Holy land’ as it is Ala herself.

The water that flows in and out of her represents the fountain of life and fertility she gives. With human fertility, Ala is credited for the productivity of the land. [s] In Odinani, Ala rules over the underworld which holds the deceased ancestors in her womb.
[/s]
It is believed that in her stomach is were the dead and the living reside. Ala uses the snake as one of Her messengers. As the goddess of morality, Ala is involved in judging human actions and is in charge of Igbo law and customs known as Omenala.

Taboos and crimes among Igbo communities that are against the standard of Ala are called nsọ Ala. Ala’s messenger and living agent on earth is the python (Igbo: éké), which is especially revered in many Igbo communities.

In art, Ala is often represented as a regal figure seated on a throne, surrounded by her family. In the past, such figures took the form of life-size mud sculptures in special festive shrines dedicated to the deity and known as Mbari.

[s]Ala is in charge of conserving that which is created. While Chukwu is the giver of the moral law, Ala is the enforcer of the law. Ala is also the “womb” that holds and nurtures and renews when necessary.[/s]

Chukwu and Ala are meant to represent the differences and complement between the sexes in Igbo culture. This principle of duality extends to minor gods as well.

Some of these deities are “male” gods associated with masculine rituals such as circumcision or with male-dominated professions such as iron smithing and carving.

Others are “female” deities, such as those associated with protecting vegetable traders and cloth weavers—who in the Igbo traditional world tended to be dominated by women.

lalasticlala

https://medium.com/african-history-collections/the-forgotten-gods-of-igbo-land-3030771eaf8b
Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by RedboneSmith(m): 10:52am On May 04

Goodluck!

Every god is man-made.

Somebody chooses to worship Ani, Igbo goddess of the earth. Fine.
You choose to worship Yahweh, Hebrew god of the storm and war. Fine, too.
Your choice is not superior to theirs.
Re: Gods Of Igbo Culture by Dudeladude(m): 9:19pm On May 06
If you believe this gods works.. dm

(1) (Reply)

Jay Z In Traditional Igbo Regalia / ṢANGÓ - One of the 401 Mispercieved ÍRUNMO̩LẸ Force / Igbo People Help Me Out With This Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.