Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,416 members, 7,812,227 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

HISTORY OF LATE TERKULA SUSWAM, OLDER BROTHER SEN GABRIEL SUSWAM - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / HISTORY OF LATE TERKULA SUSWAM, OLDER BROTHER SEN GABRIEL SUSWAM (3181 Views)

Gabriel Suswam's Elder Brother, Terkula Assassinated / Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry / Gabriel Suswam Laughing As DSS Releases Him From Prison (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HISTORY OF LATE TERKULA SUSWAM, OLDER BROTHER SEN GABRIEL SUSWAM by blazesam(m): 2:32pm On Mar 04, 2021
THE MAN, CHIEF DR TERKULA SUSWAM

THE MAN CHIEF DR. TERKULA SUSWAM: A BORN PHILANTHROPIST AND PEACE-MAKER

Born in 1962 to the noble parentage of Zaki Suwam Tingir and Chief Mrs. Ashiawua Suswam Tingir at Anyiin, Gaambe-Tiev, Logo Local Government Area of Benue State, Chief Dr Terkula Joseph Suswam, a born philanthropist and peace-maker embarked on academic journey of life in 1969, starting from elementary level to tertiary institution. He successfully bagged a Doctor of Philosophy, PhD in 2009 with Benue State University, Makurdi.

A highly resourceful scholar of Diplomatic History, Chief Dr Terkula Suswam continued to demonstrate his academic talent. His excellent presentation at the Viva Voce inspired the panellists, led by professor Toyin Falola of the University of Texas who recommended him for instant appointment at the Benue State University where he utilised his reservouir of knowledge as a visiting lecturer in the History Department.

As a born philanthropist and peace-maker, Dr. Terkula Suswam while alive did not confine his ocean of knowledge to only academics but diversified it to politics and business so as to speedily actualise effectively his philanthropic and peace-making spirit.

In the field of politics, the political enigma had made significant contributions within and without Benue state. His involvement into politics became necessary when he cleverly discovered that, engaging in the process of charting a new political direction for the state was the fundamental touchstone in the way forward. He then became actively involved in shaping the political direction of the state.

While swimming successfully in the pool of politics in Nigeria, Dr. Suswam discovered salient problems of his lovely people and was inspired to serve humanity where he was deeply inebriated into it. Having studied the culture, nature and structure of Benue state, the business tycoon realised that one of the fundamental setbacks of the state is unemployment and again resolved to set up business centres of international repute.

Today, through his numerous business outlets such as Ashitech Global Resources, Ashitech Digital Colour Separation, Ashi Waves Radio F.M. 99.9, Ashi Rice Milling Farm and Ashitech Integrated Farm as well as Ashi Polytechnic, Anyiin among others, a good number of youths have been employed, a venture that made him among the highest private employers of labour in the state.

Like his fellow Nigerian philanthropists such as Aliko Dangote, Tony Elumelu, Mike Adenuga, and Raymond Dokpesi, the distinguished son of Nigeria and born humanitarian had consistently dedicated his commitment to the services of humanity by diffusing his personal resources in addressing the critical and basic infrastructural needs of the society especially at the grassroots.

Some of his self-sponsored community based projects while alive include: the construction of a 4-bedroom block and renovation of principals office for Gaambe-Tiev Community Secondary School, Anyiin; construction of a gigantic Catholic church building at Ikyȏchi and the construction of a major street at Anyiin, Logo local government area of Benue state.

In 2012, the born humanitarian initiated a project of roofing people’s houses upon erection, a project that encouraged over 250 beneficiaries.

Late Chief Dr Terkula Suswam had also settled hospital bills of patients at NKST Anyiin, Federal Medical Centre, Makurdi and Benue State University Teaching Hospital, Makurdi at different times. A very few among the beneficiaries were: Mr. Joseph Aondoungwa, Member Friday, Mrs. Doosuur Donatus and Miss Doosuur Joseph, a 17 year old girl whose ailment made the father to abandon her.

That is not all; Chief Joseph Suswam had paid fines for inmates of the three prisons in Benue state and donated clothes worth one point six million naira to inmates at the Makurdi, Gboko and Otukpo prisons respectively.

Moreover, it could also be recalled that when some Idoma residents of Jos, Plateau state were displaced by the crisis and returned to Benue in order to seek refuge, the lover of humanity was touched and quickly donated relief materials, including 12 motorcycles, one hundred bags of rice and five hundred thousand naira cash to them.

Like the biblical Joseph, the son of Jacob, Late Joseph Suswam also donated relief materials worth over one million naira and undisclosed amount of money to dejected youths of the Tiv/Fulani crisis in Iorza, Tse-Igbul, and Mue-Akaaer in conjunction with the donation of assorted materials to Saint Michaels Catholic Church, Adedem and NKST Church, Chembe in Gaambe-Tiev, Logo local government area of the state.

It is due to his immeasurable contributions to the socio-economic and religio-political development of Benue state that Tor Tiv the Fourth, HRH Orchivirigh Dr Alfred Akawe Torkula conferred on him the chieftaincy title of Zege Iwanger i Tiv, which means The Great Illumination of Tiv. It was also in recognition of these outstanding commitments to the well being of his people that he was unanimously elected the Tor Sankera by kingmakers, a position they believed he would effectively use for the protection of his people and the projection of peace, unity and progress.

Through his radio station, the Tiv honorific title holder had promoted the Tiv culture and agriculture. His devotion to community development while alive equally attracted him international acclaim and recognition when a United Nation Body, House of Fame conferred on him the award of Pillar of Community Development at the Museveni Hall in Rome, Italy.

While some public affairs analysts attributed his humanness and generosity to his religious background, others attributed it to parental influence since his father; Zaki Suswam Tingir Dom Agya was a generous Chief, an attribute that attracted the attention of Tiv popular singers of his time.
The Late Zege Iwanger i Tiv was quite aware of the sermon on the Mountains Blessed are the peace makers, for they will be called sons of God. He was equally aware of the proverbial phrase an eye for an eye makes the world blind. This explained why the peace loving son of Gaambe Tiev had constantly dedicated his life in crusading for peace.

For instance, when the Tiv/Fulani crisis in Gaambe-Tiev was aggravating, Late Chief Suswam took the matter upon his shoulders and left no stone unturned to ensure that the persistent killing and displacement of his people was permanently tackled.

He employ peaceful and lawful approaches by writing letters to the immediate past president of Nigeria, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, the then president-elect, Gen. Mohammedu Buhari, the then Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant Gen. Kenneth Minima among others.

The political enigma and business mogul also had series of meetings with the Benue state police commissioner and the Commandant, 72 Battalion, Makurdi which led to the deployment of both military and mobile police officers in Gaamber-Tiev.

That is not all, Late Chief Dr Terkula Suswam also initiated peace meeting where Gaambe-Tiev Tiv elders and Fulanis played a novelty football match at Anyiin and the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between Tiv of Gaambe-Tiev and Fulanis residing in the area.

His restoration of peace in Gaambe-Tiev prompted distinguished Benue politicians, traditional and religious leaders to acknowledge and commend him.

Notable among them were the executive governor of Benue state, Dr. Samuel Ortom, Tor Tiv IV, Alfred Akawe Tokula and the then Dean, Ugba Deanery, Diocese of Katsina-Ala, Rev. Dr. Nicolas Adumbu who described Chief Suswam as a Great Ambassador of Christ.

Adieu, the born philanthropist, peacemaker, custodian of Tiv culture and Pillar of Community Development, Chief Dr. Terkula Suswam.

Re: HISTORY OF LATE TERKULA SUSWAM, OLDER BROTHER SEN GABRIEL SUSWAM by blazesam(m): 2:33pm On Mar 04, 2021

Re: HISTORY OF LATE TERKULA SUSWAM, OLDER BROTHER SEN GABRIEL SUSWAM by Nobody: 2:35pm On Mar 04, 2021
With all these na where he end... food for maggots.

The day my guy die na that day I realise say nothing dey this life. My guy wey dey order caskets for club I dey look am inside casket as them dey help am knot tie. Drogba get up he no get up. Gbera he no gbera. He just lay there. Helpless. My eyes open. I saw life from another perspective. It's not worth the stress.

Rip sir. Your legacy won't be forgotten
Rip Victorian... You're not forgotten

2 Likes

Re: HISTORY OF LATE TERKULA SUSWAM, OLDER BROTHER SEN GABRIEL SUSWAM by BigBrowser: 2:36pm On Mar 04, 2021
cool
Re: HISTORY OF LATE TERKULA SUSWAM, OLDER BROTHER SEN GABRIEL SUSWAM by Righteousness2(m): 4:22pm On Mar 04, 2021
MejiLoyon:
With all these na where he end... food for maggots.

The day my guy die na that day I realise say nothing dey this life. My guy wey dey order caskets for club I dey look am inside casket as them dey help am knot tie. Drogba get up he no get up. Gbera he no gbera. He just lay there. Helpless. My eyes open. I saw life from another perspective. It's not worth the stress.

Rip sir. Your legacy won't be forgotten
Rip Victorian... You're not forgotten

That's it bro!
This our body Na confirm Dust! Don't let it Deceive or Derail you
What Matters in this Life is to Live in the Conciousness of your Place in Eternity!
Live this life in total Surrenderness to JESUS!
Whenever your Final whistle blow you Jejely open your Eyes in Heaven Forever and Ever..

(1) (Reply)

Herdsmen Kill Eight In Another Enugu Attack, Blame Nnamdi Kanu, IPOB / Technical Knockout For Tinubu (TKO) Photos / 2023: Why PDP Governors Dump Atiku, Backs Tinubu’s Presidential Bid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.