Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship (54197 Views)

Emmanuel Chinweuba Nworie Relocates To The US / Emmanuel Nworie The First Class Mathematician About To Be Stolen By Canada.. / Eniola Olaniyan Bags PhD From FUTA - Federal University of Technology, Akure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Keziehenry(m): 4:25pm On Mar 04, 2021
Emmanuel Nworie, a first-class mathematics graduate of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, has bagged a fully-funded scholarship at a university in the United States.

TheCable had reported how Nworie tilled the soil in Ebonyi state owing to poverty and a lack of platform to utilise his knowledge.

The 27-year-old, who graduated with a cumulative grade point average of 4.92/5.00, had experienced a life of hardship prior to his application for the Michael Taiwo (MT) Scholarship.

“I started having challenges in 2005 when we struggled with the health of my dad. He gave up in January 2009. I have long wanted to be a mathematician. But after my dad passed away, I was deterred because at some point when I was trying to save for undergraduate studies and after two years I couldn’t save enough, so I was frustrated,” he had said in an interview with TheCable.

Michael Taiwo, a US-based Nigerian and sponsor of MT Scholarships, alongside Suraj Oyewale, founder of JarusHub, a career and education platform, identified Nworie during the selection of candidates for the scholarship.

The UNN graduate emerged as one of the 23 candidates selected from a pool of 1,509 applicants for the scholarship which covers costs for application fees and Graduate Record Exam (GRE) — a requirement for graduate application for some courses in the US.

In a statement on Tuesday, Taiwo announced Nworie’s selection for a fully-funded Ph.D. in mathematics at the Southern Methodist University (SMU) in Dallas, Texas.

He said the first-class mathematician received three offers from universities in the southern part of the US.

“Today, I am pleased to announce that Emmanuel Chinweuba Nworie has accepted a fully funded offer to study for his PhD in Mathematics at the Southern Methodist University (SMU) in Dallas, Texas. SMU is a prestigious private research university. Emmanuel prefers locations with warm weather. He received three great offers, all from schools in the southern part of the US,” he said.

“Mentors are our secret sauce. It is hard to exaggerate the role Dr. Busayo Aworunse, Emmanuel’s assigned mentor, played in delivering the outcome we celebrate today. Busayo, thank you. Help me congratulate Emmanuel. I cannot wait to see what he does with a Math PhD from SMU!”

Speaking with TheCable, Taiwo described Nworie’s achievement as remarkable.

He said he still feels “the rage and sadness I spoke about a couple of months ago, but I feel happy for him in particular and hope in general that we can make a difference”.

“He is going to one of the best universities in the world. SMU is a very expensive school; more expensive than Ivy League schools like Harvard and Yale. He will be schooling with people from the richest families in the world. This is the kind of exposure we (the MT Scholarship team) and him felt like he needed, so he can think big with his God-endowed brain,” he said.

“It costs over $75,000 per year to attend SMU. Emmanuel won’t pay a single dollar out of this. In addition to this, he will be given a very generous stipend to cater for his living expenses. The interesting thing is that he got three of this type of offers from Southern Methodist University, University of Tennessee at Knoxville, and the University of Texas at Dallas.”

When asked about his advice for other distinguished graduates who share similar stories like Nworie, Taiwo said such people should endeavour to utilise the internet to access available opportunities.

“I would say they should keep up hope and try to move to a city where they can have access to the internet. As you can remember from Emmanuel’s story, his breakthrough came because he was in Enugu during the time the application window for the annual Michael Taiwo Graduate School Application scholarship was open,” he said.

“If he had been at his farm in Ebonyi, he would have missed this generation-changing opportunity. So my advice is that they should relocate to where they can get access to information, i.e. the internet.”

https://www.thecable.ng/from-farm-to-classroom-nworie-first-class-mathematician-bags-ph-d-scholarship-in-us

52 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by tillaman(m): 4:34pm On Mar 04, 2021
cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by inoki247: 4:36pm On Mar 04, 2021
he go even get beta format to get asylum like herdsmen dey disturb him for farm..

104 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Freestainworld(m): 4:37pm On Mar 04, 2021
Well deserved, and kudo's to the young man

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Amotolongbo(f): 4:41pm On Mar 04, 2021
inoki247:
he go even get beta format to get asylum like herdsmen dey disturb him for farm..
He doesn’t even need this kinda format with what he has already.
What he has is better than refugee seeking

159 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by MansoryMX(m): 4:43pm On Mar 04, 2021
Give this guy one position in Government house now, you see that humility written all over him right there! E go fly leave am!

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Kebbiprince: 4:47pm On Mar 04, 2021
From Grass to Grace

From an Ebonyi farm to the USA. Sometimes it takes just luck to end generational poverty

Nworie has been liberated, be sure he has no business with poverty anymore

149 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Simplyleo: 4:48pm On Mar 04, 2021
Obviously, Emmanuel Nworie knows the reality of life and was ready to take the bull by the horn, then succor came his way.

Imagine, a first class graduate in Mathematics ready to go into manual farming, such a humble, intelligent and truly educated dude.

This is in sharp contrast with some illiterates who manage to know the spellings of their names bleating Buhari and Tinubu from sunset to sunrise everyday.

A good number of them can't even independently apply for a position in a corporate organization, yet they are the noisiest about job availability. We see them everyday in banks, offices etc.

Bunch of useless miscreants constituting nuisance to the society.

I know lamidi cownu is strategising for the next cashout. grin

40 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Kebbiprince: 4:49pm On Mar 04, 2021
MansoryMX:
Give this guy one position in Government house now, you see that humility written all over him right there! E go fly leave am!
Forget about this your misyarn and stay on the topic.. Nobody holy pass. Even u sef your humility go fly if given a government position. Don't be bitter and jealous for another's success so that your own can also reach u. Nworie is lucky and we thank God for him Irrespective of his tribe

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by InfernoNig: 4:49pm On Mar 04, 2021
And another one done japa.

3 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Peterobi90: 4:51pm On Mar 04, 2021
To think a 4.92 math graduate was about to fade into oblivion in a farmland at Ebonyi goes to show the school, the state, the country are all useless....

The US would out rightly grant him citizenship at the end of his schooling.

109 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Keziehenry(m): 4:56pm On Mar 04, 2021
Abeg o, who fit give me better format wey I go use comot for this Boko haram, bandits and Fulani herdsmen infested country

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Keziehenry(m): 4:59pm On Mar 04, 2021
Lalasticlala show this guy some love

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Siberia01(m): 5:00pm On Mar 04, 2021
grin You Don't Need to go to school you can still make it .... just went and wasted his four years studying stupid mathematics

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by xxxXXXxxx: 5:20pm On Mar 04, 2021
Congratulations to him.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by InventTech: 5:26pm On Mar 04, 2021
Peterobi90:
To think a 4.92 math graduate was about to fade into oblivion in a farmland at Ebonyi goes to show the school, the state, the country are all useless....

The US would out rightly grant him citizenship at the end of his schooling.

It's really a sad reality how this exceptional genius would have been liquidated in a county that really needs brains/innovation from STEM. Choosing to study mathematics takes serious guts, but balling a 4.92/5 CGPA? and even UNN?

Man, That's an incredibly exceptional feat!

89 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by InventTech: 5:28pm On Mar 04, 2021
Siberia01:
grin
You Don't Need to go to school
you can still make it
just went and wasted his four years
studying stupid mathematics

Mathematics, Stupid?

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Kebbiprince: 6:06pm On Mar 04, 2021
InventTech:

Mathematics, Stupid?
He's an illiterate naw. Does he know the value of mathematics in the outside world. Don't blame him he's a typical lazy Nigerian yoot

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Kebbiprince: 6:06pm On Mar 04, 2021
Lalasticlala Mynd44 OAM4J please front page to encourage others that schooling still remains the ultimate

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 04, 2021
We hope they come thru with their big promises.

Nigerians are known to give big promises ànd fail in delivering them.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by juniorstar(m): 6:13pm On Mar 04, 2021
Absolutely brilliant! who God don bless nobody can curse.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by chukwuibuipob: 6:22pm On Mar 04, 2021
cool Heartfelt congrats to our confam Amaka not those fl@theads ipob hoodlums/their Fulani cows sad cheesy,disturbing our peace.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by levante5321: 6:22pm On Mar 04, 2021
people kn book sha

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by BKayy: 6:23pm On Mar 04, 2021
grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by airminem(f): 6:23pm On Mar 04, 2021
Lazy Nigerian looking for quick money abroad

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by CelestineNelson: 6:24pm On Mar 04, 2021
Wow..I celebrate this with all humility... Thank God for his life...I tap into this Grace... My testimony will also hit Nairaland in a great way

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by GeneralPula: 6:24pm On Mar 04, 2021
This is a good one..

God bless the organizers of this great scholarship..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by adonnii(f): 6:25pm On Mar 04, 2021
shame to Nigeria,
how we allow such rare talent to leave the shores of this country without
caring a hoot. It is well!

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) / Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad / Throwback Photo Of A Classroom In Nigeria In The 1950s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.