Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,776 members, 7,862,549 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 07:17 PM

Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels (9121 Views)

Train Kidnap; "We Are Relying On God" For Release Of Remaining Victims - FG / El-Rufai: Kaduna To Stop Relying On Federal Allocation Soon / Atiku Relying On Body Cameras From His Agents To Beat Buhari In Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by WestAfricaan: 7:21am On Mar 05, 2021
Renewable energy will see the government crumble. When the government can't sell Crude, how will they find the States.
That will be anarchy loading oo cuz they will lose control
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:28am On Mar 05, 2021
Forget Solar Energy, except it is highly subsidized it is not worth it for 80 percent of Nigeria.

A solar system of approximately 500k will only give you power equivalent to I pass my neighbor generator.

And no, as far as airlines and heavy machineries exist, fossil fuel ain't going nowhere, ABI una think say na only petrol dey crude oil.

1 Like

Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:29am On Mar 05, 2021
WestAfricaan:
Renewable energy will see the government crumble. When the government can't sell Crude, how will they find the States.
That will be anarchy loading oo cuz they will lose control
Olodo is crude the only source of federal government generated revenue
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by WestAfricaan: 7:30am On Mar 05, 2021
Proudlyngwa:

Olodo is crude the only source of federal government generated revenue
How many percentage is crude products contribution to governments revenue? Or you want to mention tourism and agriculture? Don't be unfortunate brother
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by juniorstar(m): 7:39am On Mar 05, 2021
its obvious..or how would you explain why heir oil and gas is still looking for off shore on on shore oil rigs and dangote is still investing in crude oil refining and petrochemical industries and innoson is scavenging other African countries for oil well licence.

1 Like

Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Starzo: 7:39am On Mar 05, 2021
Proudlyngwa:
Forget Solar Energy, except it is highly subsidized it is not worth it for 80 percent of Nigeria.

A solar system of approximately 500k will only give you power equivalent to I pass my neighbor generator.

And no, as far as airlines and heavy machineries exist, fossil fuel ain't going nowhere, ABI una think say na only petrol dey crude oil.
but system of like 4m go run everything
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by mrikay: 7:46am On Mar 05, 2021
Lyrics269:
Ok oo

The only thing that can motivate Africa to look at renewable energy is when the white man stops buying our oil.

For example: at a time when The West is moving to clean energy, Dangote is building the biggest refinery. Is that not plain stupid?

Solar panels will become more popular in the next few years... petrol consumption will go down. Why not invest in solar energy instead?

Selah.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:47am On Mar 05, 2021
WestAfricaan:

How many percentage is crude products contribution to governments revenue? Or you want to mention tourism and agriculture? Don't be unfortunate brother
There is something called diversification which the government is currently doing, only it takes time to materialise.
We have cement, bitumen, lead and gold, though not yet exploited in industrial commercial quantities.

The good thing about crude is once drilled almost zero maintenance cost unlike other minerals which requires constant machineries, manpower and willpower.

I work in the industry and know the negative effect it has on other industries, to drill an oil well usually cost average 3 billion( old data not sure about now) and above and takes roughly 5 yrs to recoup initial expenses, then all you need is well and pipeline servicing monitoring and maintenance which is chicken feed compared to drilling.
This is just for a well, multiply it for 20 Wells which is roughly 60 billion and think what it will be like investing that type of money in the lead industry in Ebonyi for battery production and export, or rubber industry in ogoja for tyre production and export.

Bros I can't be unfortunate.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Topmaike007(m): 7:49am On Mar 05, 2021
HabaHaba:
Many have read, but how many understands the English here?!!

If it werr about Bob Risky, Laycon, or all these yeyebrities comments for don full ground as if we live wirh them physically.

Naija don't like enlightened discussions like this topic, probably poverty has also affected our head too.
God help bring us our of unfocused leadership.

Amen
lolz you sabi level

1 Like

Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by brandsoncharlie: 7:51am On Mar 05, 2021
lemon10:

@OP. You only focused on batteries. There are other renewable energy technologies such as water splitting devices, fuel cells, and metal-air batteries. In fact, Zinc-air batteries have been reported to possess higher energy density than Lithium-ion batteries. So this technology is strongly booming and the prospect is high.

If we are to talk of cost, the catalysts used in these technologies are now becoming cheap, because the precursors used in their production have been replaced with earth-abundant materials.

I think you should make further findings next time before you conclude that cost will be the challenge.
They're talking about large scale in terms of cost.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Topmaike007(m): 7:53am On Mar 05, 2021
Proudlyngwa:

There is something called diversification which the government is currently doing, only it takes time to materialise.
We have cement, bitumen, lead and gold, though not yet exploited in industrial commercial quantities.

The good thing about crude is once drilled almost zero maintenance cost unlike other minerals which requires constant machineries, manpower and willpower.

I work in the industry and know the negative effect it has on other industries, to drill an oil well usually cost average 3 billion( old data not sure about now) and above and takes roughly 5 yrs to recoup initial expenses, then all you need is well and pipeline servicing monitoring and maintenance which is chicken feed compared to drilling.
This is just for a well, multiply it for 20 Wells which is roughly 60 billion and think what it will be like investing that type of money in the lead industry in Ebonyi for battery production and export, or rubber industry in ogoja for tyre production and export.

Bros I can't be unfortunate.
pls tell me more about that lead in Ebonyi
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:53am On Mar 05, 2021
mrikay:

The only thing that can motivate Africa to look at renewable energy is when the white man stops buying our oil.

For example: at a time when The West is moving to clean energy, Dangote is building the biggest refinery. Is that not plain stupid?

Solar panels will become more popular in the next few years... petrol consumption will go down. Why not invest in solar energy instead?

Selah.

Industrial is a phase, the white man should allow us build our own refineries, they already have the platform they are just modifying it, most of their machineries will still run on fossil fuel, what will happen during winter, spring and days of low sunlight,
What will charge the batteries.
guy no let person decieve you say mbaise people no good you come pursue your girlfriend's e come marry am as wife.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Topmaike007(m): 7:54am On Mar 05, 2021
mrikay:

Selah.
aboki will always be Aboki
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Topmaike007(m): 7:56am On Mar 05, 2021
Starzo:

but not everyone could afford 4mil now
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:11am On Mar 05, 2021
Topmaike007:
pls tell me more about that lead in Ebonyi
Currently there is unregulated lead mining going on in Ebonyi state and it is being exploited by the Chinese, though since this lockdown the activities reduced to a minimum.

Most of the raw materials are just dug from the ground with excavator loaded on trucks and to Cameroon via illegal borders.
While government officials look the other way.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:24am On Mar 05, 2021
Starzo:

4m will give you 5kw max good thing is it will be 24 hrs which is just a little more than your 4500 series generator.

New 300 watts monocrystaline solar panel is around 40k you would need like 30 if you want 24 hrs light.

Pure deep cycle battery 12volts 200 amps is about 150 thousand you would need like 15.
I don't know current price of regulator and inverter, and prices I gave you are pretty lockdown and when dollar was way lower.

This is just an under estimate, the question is can 70percent of Nigerians and 90 percent of Africans afford this without subsidy.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Topmaike007(m): 8:34am On Mar 05, 2021
Proudlyngwa:

Currently there is unregulated lead mining going on in Ebonyi state and it is being exploited by the Chinese, though since this lockdown the activities reduced to a minimum.

Most of the raw materials are just dug from the ground with excavator loaded on trucks and to Cameroon via illegal borders.
While government officials look the other way.
that's very bad oo...EB na my state I no expect all this shit that is happening in the state
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Topmaike007(m): 8:36am On Mar 05, 2021
Proudlyngwa:

4m will give you 5kw max good thing is it will be 24 hrs which is just a little more than your 4500 series generator.

New 300 watts monocrystaline solar panel is around 40k you would need like 30 if you want 24 hrs light.

Pure deep cycle battery 12volts 200 amps is about 150 thousand you would need like 15.
I don't know current price of regulator and inverter, and prices I gave you are pretty lockdown and when dollar was way lower.

This is just an under estimate, the question is can 70percent of Nigerians and 90 percent of Africans afford this without subsidy.
those ba3 you listed are Sealed lead acid and not lithium_ion ba3?
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by mrikay: 8:39am On Mar 05, 2021
Proudlyngwa:

Industrial is a phase, the white man should allow us build our own refineries, they already have the platform they are just modifying it, most of their machineries will still run on fossil fuel, what will happen during winter, spring and days of low sunlight,
What will charge the batteries.
guy no let person decieve you say mbaise people no good you come pursue your girlfriend's e come marry am as wife.

Quote 'Most of their machinery will still run on fossil fuels'. Answer: Everything is going electric. Electric trains have completely replaced combustion engines in some countries of Europe. Even electric planes (passenger planes) have now been confirmed. They are being supplied to airlines now. Every vehicle making company is making electric cars.

Fossil fuels are becoming obsolete. Our people no want hear word.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:40am On Mar 05, 2021
Topmaike007:
that's very bad oo...EB na my state I no expect all this shit that is happening in the state

Lol, when did you go home last.
You can Google about illegal mining activities in Ebonyi.
When you see a flurry of excavators in Ebonyi and Chinese around that area , know lead is around the corner.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Topmaike007(m): 8:43am On Mar 05, 2021
Proudlyngwa:

Lol, when did you go home last.
You can Google about illegal mining activities in Ebonyi.
When you see a flurry of excavators in Ebonyi and Chinese around that area , know lead is around the corner.
I went for Burial last October,my grandma burial and I never noticed it oo maybe It is because I did not stay up to 3 weeks that's why..
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:45am On Mar 05, 2021
Topmaike007:
those ba3 you listed are Sealed lead acid and not lithium_ion ba3?
Li ion is not yet mainstream in Naija, how many markets have it.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:46am On Mar 05, 2021
Topmaike007:
I went for Burial last October,my grandma burial and I never noticed it oo maybe It is because I did not stay up to 3 weeks that's why..
You won't have noticed it last year , I told you there was a complete drop in activities due to covid and border lockdown.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:48am On Mar 05, 2021
mrikay:

Quote 'Most of their machinery will still run on fossil fuels'. Answer: Everything is going electric. Electric trains have completely replaced combustion engines in some countries of Europe. Even electric planes (passenger planes) have now been confirmed. They are being supplied to airlines now. Every vehicle making company is making electric cars.

Fossil fuels are becoming obsolete. Our people no want hear word.

Electric, electric, what will provide the electric ABI will the electricity come from thin air.

Oga for the next 30 yrs fossil fuel is going no where
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Topmaike007(m): 8:49am On Mar 05, 2021
Proudlyngwa:

Li ion is not yet mainstream in Naija, how many markets have it.
probably imported through Aliexpress if I may guess
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Topmaike007(m): 8:50am On Mar 05, 2021
Proudlyngwa:

You won't have noticed it last year , I told you there was a complete drop in activities due to covid and border lockdown.
na wa oo and the mumu governor is complaining of low allocation from FG when he could capitalize on the lead and make the state one of the best in the federation
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Topmaike007(m): 8:53am On Mar 05, 2021
Proudlyngwa:

Electric, electric, what will provide the electric ABI will the electricity come from thin air.

Oga for the next 30 yrs fossil fuel is going no where
next 100yrs there will still be fossil fuel...do you know that this gas cooker and oven we're using now have been in existence ever before World war2 and guess what not every household in Africa are using it some are still using Stove
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:25am On Mar 05, 2021
Topmaike007:
na wa oo and the mumu governor is complaining of low allocation from FG when he could capitalize on the lead and make the state one of the best in the federation
Mining falls solely under federal government.
Best he can do is frustrate their activities, and liase with them to get proper licences and invest properly.
But like I say as far as it is something that requires constant manpower and machinery , government no send, also most natives are involved and ready to fight any government official that tries to come in.
Unfortunately this had negative consequences to Ebonyi people leaving around the illegal mining axis, because the waste generated without proper waste management is polluting their underground water without them knowing.
That is why the average life expectancy there is 45yrs.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:30am On Mar 05, 2021
Topmaike007:
next 100yrs there will still be fossil fuel...do you know that this gas cooker and oven we're using now have been in existence ever before World war2 and guess what not every household in Africa are using it some are still using Stove
Of course there will always be use for fossil fuel, how else will we get plastic, nylon, grease, engine oil, large scale electricity, water transportation, aviation fuel , rocket propulsion and a lot more other things.
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Starzo: 9:53am On Mar 05, 2021
Proudlyngwa:

5kw for 4m??... that's small o. I thought it could give like 10kw
Re: Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels by Starzo: 9:54am On Mar 05, 2021
Topmaike007:
but not everyone could afford 4mil now
I understand. Just wanted to make enquiry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nasir El-Rufai Takes COVID-19 Vaccine / APC Governors Await Buhari’s Return To Decide Buni’s Fate / Sit-At-Home: A Self Inflicted Punishment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.