Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,062 members, 7,828,755 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car - Autos (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car (62179 Views)

Innoson Should Look Into Partnership With Toyota To Bring Back The Corolla / Home Of Toyota And Lexus Tokumbo Underneath Parts / Toyota Underneath For All SUV/JEEPS. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 06, 2021
Grandmeister:

Why not avail yourself of a simple google search?? You will see the year a particular model was launched and the year of discontinuation! You guys have smartphones but to use it for the simplest of information is huge task.
bros you are wrong. Avail me/us with proof of this. The proof i have is scattered everywhere on the worldwide web, even here on auto section. It is called VIN (not even the tag o, the number itself. It embodies numbers such as production months and dates, most dont know this and cant decipher it and think it is just a number. Which is why you have models every freaking year...also why some late year models are counted as part of the next year model when launched, cos roll-out time is usu considered. So you can see a car with vin date of october 2010 for example with car manual stating it as a 2011 model, but certainly not like 5 years apart! Haba. Show proof, we kuma learn everyday
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Grandmeister(m): 2:18pm On Mar 06, 2021
Gilbertase:
bros you are wrong. Avail me/us with proof of this. The proof i have is scattered everywhere on the worldwide web, even here on auto section. It is called VIN (not even the tag o, the number itself. It embodies numbers such as production months and dates, most dont know this and cant decipher it and think it is just a number. Which is why you have models every freaking year...also why some late year models are counted as part of the next year model when launched, cos roll-out time is usu considered. So you can see a car with vin date of october 2010 for example with car manual stating it as a 2011 model, but certainly not like 5 years apart! Haba. Show proof, we kuma learn everyday
Do you even know the difference between a model and a unit?? A model can be produced in 2000 but have a unit(s) that was produced in 2003!
I used the w124 as an example..the model was produced from 84 to 97...meaning there were some units that were produced in 84, 89, 95 etc. that’s common sense naa.

Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Nobody: 2:22pm On Mar 06, 2021
Grandmeister:

Why not avail yourself of a simple google search?? You will see the year a particular model was launched and the year of discontinuation! You guys have smartphones but to use it for the simplest of information is huge task.
also to add, i believe you are still refering to generations. Generations span years, with models that usu have some things added ranging from minute details to largely apparent ones. Eg big daddy is a generation from 2003 to 2006, but in that generation there are two distinct types 03-04 (same look), 05-06 (very minute details added)..but each year model will still have its individuality based on prod date.. so a 2003 toyota camry model was made in 03 or in some case late 02 when it is launched like i explained earlier, but it cant be made in 05..talkless of say 2007. Then how would they code the VIN or how would anyone tell the year/model of a car if any production outfit did that?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 06, 2021
Grandmeister:

Do you even know the difference between a model and a unit?? A model can be produced in 2000 but have a unit(s) that was produced in 2003!
I used the w124 as an example..the model was produced from 84 to 97...meaning there were some units that were produced in 84, 89, 95 etc. that’s common sense naa.
generation, generation!!! Volvo xc90 first generation also lasted for 14 years 02 to 16..but each year will still have it's individual year model! Not to mention there were various subtle adds made through that generation. The VIN makes sure of and identifies exactly that! I cant break it down anymore than that. If you get it, fine. If you wanna stick with your story of '3-5years apart', stick with it.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Bruzlinxy(m): 2:43pm On Mar 06, 2021
alpharoyalty:

I totally agree with you.
Had a similar experience last year.
Bought a fine looking car from Canada.
Had to apply anti-rust though.

I really want to buy car from Canada please help me on how to do that... thanks in anticipation
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by computerglobal(m): 2:43pm On Mar 06, 2021
We are your number one source to get any vehicle checked. We make it easy for you to discover the complete history of any used car before you buy or sell it. It only takes a couple of minutes, and you'll have peace of mind before you buy . Have that peace of mind knowing the vehicle's complete history.
You’ll receive crucial facts about the car you’re looking to buy that will help you make a smart decision.

Comprehensive Vehicle History Report.

Call/Sms/Whatsapp (Vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068
www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10000072_vehiclehistoryreport_jpeg3e8dde5a1fb4cccbf6626e983b2598da

Confirm the authenticity Of Your Documents

Get your documents verified and avoid embarrassment

Contact us on Whats-app now . 08060365068
cool
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Munzy14(m): 2:44pm On Mar 06, 2021
MikeMicheal:
Same thing applys to women.

CHECK UNDERNEATH BEFORE YOU PAY BRIDE PRICE.
Lol...nairaland and words...cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Bobxin: 2:57pm On Mar 06, 2021
Grandmeister:

Bro. there's nothing like that.
I don't think you understand what it means when a particular car is discontinued.
A model like Mercedes GLK has been in production since 2008 and was discontinued in 2015 to be replaced with GLC.
Since 2008 Mercedes has been producing GLK with different model and newer upgrade each year. So there's GLK 2012, 2013, etc.
I don't think you know and understand how to use your "smart phone"
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Innobee99(m): 3:35pm On Mar 06, 2021
Faith063:

The big deal is when you save up to buy a car and you started replacing and fixing parts when it has not even serve you. The thread is to advise others knowing fully well majority of Nigerians go for toks vehicle. Obviously I can't return it grin so lemme tell others in peace ooo
Since it's not a new car, expect to replace anything replaceable at anytime starting from the day u bought it
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Bobxin: 3:50pm On Mar 06, 2021
Grandmeister:

Cars are not phones, even phones are still produced for sometime before the company stops producing a particular model. I remember my mum’s Mercedes w124 popularly called V-boot. The w124 was launched in 1985 or so and it was produced till 1997 in Germany, India etc..the batch number and year of my mum’s car was 1989.

Not true.
It was produced till 1997 doesn't mean the one of 1985 is exactly the same with the one of 1997. Different model year.
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by erico2k2(m): 3:51pm On Mar 06, 2021
Bobxin:

Oga, las las, they're almost the same price.
A car dealer in Texas I know sold to me at the same price with the prize in our market here.
Dealership in the U.S sells cars at lower prices the shipping and customs brings the price to the same level with out dealers here.

For U.S car dealers the prices depends on the mileage on the car.
The lower the mileage, the higher the price.
Higher mileage, lower price.
1st off its not just the mileage of a car one must watch cos a 200k miles car might have had the Engine recon so you are dead wrong there, service history is your best option,
2nd the age of your car determines how much duty you must pay as cars whether brand new or old cost the same thing to ship so you gain more by shipping a newer car than shipping a 20-year-old car. thirdly dealers can never sell cheaper than private sales reason they have overhead, they pay staff, pay rent, pay for utility security insurance etc.\the private seller declares his/her cr off-road and can come down cos of no overhead. At least we forgot, the dealer also would have bought the car from someone or as partex or from Insurance companies. You can check auto trader to see price variation btw dealers and private sales.
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by erico2k2(m): 3:53pm On Mar 06, 2021
Wickedfacts:

Anyone who can't afford 3k for VIN check has no business owning a car. Let the person take whatever he sees like that that.
I meant buy direct from a dealer abroad.
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Lawalmd(m): 4:01pm On Mar 06, 2021
erico2k2:

How old is this car?
The car is the 2008 model, engine and body are in great shape but the underneath is really rusted

Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by DelTel(m): 4:02pm On Mar 06, 2021
SensualMan1, come in here grin.
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by erico2k2(m): 4:11pm On Mar 06, 2021
Lawalmd:

The car is the 2008 model, engine and body are in great shape but the underneath is really rusted
Bro no disrespect a 2008 year car is an old car, your mileage in your car must be over 130k,take a look at a main gate at a compound after just 5 years if you don't see rust..What Im trying to say is simple once your car is above 10 years then the rest of its usage is management.If you check on your car's manual you will be shocked at what you need to change once your car passes the 100K mark, B4 I forget have you changed the ball joint?if not you better do it b4 you look like one of them cars you see in those sad situations!
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Orpe7(m): 5:50pm On Mar 06, 2021
Faith063:

Wish I could apply anti-rust too but this is beyond, see fuel tank for instance, I had to change the arm too and car was looking very attractive, engine is superb too, if not that I notice smell of petrol while driving and the vehicle seems to consume fuel than normal, I wouldn't have known something like that is underneath, ordinary finger will pierce iron in the arm.

Na so car dey catch fire anyhow o
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Amumaigwe: 6:15pm On Mar 06, 2021
Seniorwriter:
Aptly suggested by the OP

In another news if you are into cars or have passion for cars then contact me via my facebook ID on my profile to get a secret income means locomotive! Convert that 2014 Highlander to a 2019 newer version.
Do you know you can make close to a million with this skill(Converting Old Models to Newer Version) for car owners.
I have two guys that earn from it on a regular in the eastern part(ENUGU) of Nigeria....as a Nairalander with internet it is your loss if at this times and season you ain't earning online or getting a constant residual income.

Proactivity Leads To Productivity!!!
@Seniorwriter.

This is fraud na
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by SensualMan1(m): 7:05pm On Mar 06, 2021
DelTel:
SensualMan1, come in here grin.

A 13 year old car. The faults are not out of the ordinary.

The same 13 year old car, u can get with the underbody sucklicious, but at a price.

All boils down to history and maintanance.

Do ur routine checks well. I've. Seen couple of cars with rusts issues in the UK. That dnt mean cars here are all rusty.

Seller A can offer u a 13 year old car for $10,000

Seller B offers u at $6000

The choice is urs. U know and see what u buying.

We both know between seller A and B who the Op patronised.

Down there in Nigeria it's a different ball game, GAZZUZZ, even u my friend sells this kinda car with cosmetic cover ups here and there yet at a ridiculous price. That is my angst.

Here's my baby all out in the snow. Rust dey under? cheesy

Pic removed.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by tonididdy(m): 8:04pm On Mar 06, 2021
I remember when I want to buy my rx300
The car was exterior and interior neat as a whistle. I bargained for the car and got it very cheap.

I was all gadged up in my LV shoes and Zara Jean
.. I pulled one leg of my shoe, knelt on it to look underneath the vehicle...

Lo and behold, it was a rust nation.

I japa
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by tonididdy(m): 8:06pm On Mar 06, 2021
erico2k2:

Bro no disrespect a 2008 year car is an old car, your mileage in your car must be over 130k,take a look at a main gate at a compound after just 5 years if you don't see rust..What Im trying to say is simple once your car is above 10 years then the rest of its usage is management.If you check on your car's manual you will be shocked at what you need to change once your car passes the 100K mark, B4 I forget have you changed the ball joint?if not you better do it b4 you look like one of them cars you see in those sad situations!
This is no excuse for excessive rust.
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by tonididdy(m): 8:07pm On Mar 06, 2021
Faith063:
Most of us watch out for cars with good and neat engine before buying a car but truly truly I say to you, something worst is under, always check if the car has not been infected by rust, they said it is usually found in vehicles from Canada.
Pls tell me you didn't buy this car?
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Faith063: 9:03pm On Mar 06, 2021
tonididdy:

Pls tell me you didn't buy this car?

Sorry to disappoint, I bought it out of ignorance, and that's why I'm informing others, at least it should help while negotiating or to run away from such if sighted.
Many suggested going with mechanics, most mechanic will not even look underneath, after looking at engine, check exhaust, throttle down, test drive, next is Oga, the car dey okay. So as buyer, you can as well suggest that your mechanic check under.
Can't imagine travelling with this because I just bought a direct toks vehicle (smiles)
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by DelTel(m): 9:44pm On Mar 06, 2021
SensualMan1:
A 13 year old car. The faults are not out of the ordinary.

The same 13 year old car, u can get with the underbody sucklicious, but at a price.

All boils down to history and maintanance.

Do ur routine checks well. I've. Seen couple of cars with rusts issues in the UK. That dnt mean cars here are all rusty.

Seller A can offer u a 13 year old car for $10,000

Seller B offers u at $6000

The choice is urs. U know and see what u buying.

We both know between seller A and B who the Op patronised.

Down there in Nigeria it's a different ball game, GAZZUZZ, even u my friend sells this kinda car with cosmetic cover ups here and there yet at a ridiculous price. That is my angst.

Here's my baby all out in the snow. Rust dey under? cheesy

So why begrudge some of us for advertising a good non-rusty vehicle higher than your beloved N1.2m undecided.

Fact of the matter is that a large percentage (I dare say close to 95%) of Canada vehicles you cultly re-echo are not only rustic but also dangerous to be on the road; the reason the Canadian DMV refused to renew the license and ensure they are scrapped/dismantled and, of recent, allowed to be exported.

Conversely, 95% of USA vehicles are accident-vehicle which are repairable and will still pass DMV inspection for usage in USA.

Your so-called "cosmetic-cover-up-here-and-there" does not often render a vehicle dangerous for usage when compared to rustic vehicles.

Pls educate us how "History and maintenance" can be used to curb rust.

I believe you, my good frienemy, are a man of Valor, so desist from misleading people that only (low) price should be used as reason to buy a vehicle. grin.
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by kenfarm(m): 10:44pm On Mar 06, 2021
MikeMicheal:
Same thing applys to women.

CHECK UNDERNEATH BEFORE YOU PAY BRIDE PRICE.

grin
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by erico2k2(m): 1:07am On Mar 07, 2021
tonididdy:

This is no excuse for excessive rust.
that rust is not excessive.
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by cardoctor(m): 3:34am On Mar 07, 2021
Canadian imported cars are the worst culprits. I've never seen so much rust on cars like this before.

Caveat Emptor.
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Seniorwriter(m): 4:40am On Mar 07, 2021
Amumaigwe:

This is fraud na

Really? SMH @your statement....why not do a lil search/research on car model upgrade rather than show your ignorance in a public forum.
Proactivity Leads To Productivity!
@Seniorwriter
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by Seniorwriter(m): 4:43am On Mar 07, 2021
lordkenny:

Interested. I checked your profile but the Fb link is not there. Pls send me your WhatsApp line via dm

I never said I had an FB link.... FB ID is there get through to me with it...
Be proactive.

Proactivity Leads To Productivity!
@Seniorwriter
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by tonididdy(m): 8:01am On Mar 07, 2021
Faith063:

Sorry to disappoint, I bought it out of ignorance, and that's why I'm informing others, at least it should help while negotiating or to run away from such if sighted.
Many suggested going with mechanics, most mechanic will not even look underneath, after looking at engine, check exhaust, throttle down, test drive, next is Oga, the car dey okay. So as buyer, you can as well suggest that your mechanic check under.
Can't imagine travelling with this because I just bought a direct toks vehicle (smiles)

Checking the chassis undeeneath of any car is a habit for me.
I don't care how dressed I'm or how angry the buyer will seem but one knee must go down to look properly.

This is a bad bad rust infestation, I hope you get out of it
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by tonididdy(m): 8:02am On Mar 07, 2021
erico2k2:

that rust is not excessive.
You only saw the photo on page 1 aight
Click on the OP page and see his post of other rusted parts he posted.

That is a rust infection.
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by GEEBITE: 11:27am On Mar 07, 2021
What of the high mileage on cars from those vast states.
EgunMogaji2:

Texas with snow and flood? Detroit with snow?

No thanks.

People from the least coast come to the best coast to buy used cars.
Re: Why You Should Look Underneath Before Purchasing A Car by EgunMogaji2: 11:33am On Mar 07, 2021
GEEBITE:
What of the high mileage on cars from those vast states.

I’ll rather buy a high mileage well maintained vehicle from California rather than buy some rust bucket low mileage pos from the east coast.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Request For Free Vin-check With Pictures Of The Car/SUV / Car Lovers!,can You Help Me Choose Between These Two Cars? / Picture From The Car Crash That Killed Obi of Issele-Uku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.