Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) (22816 Views)

Lagos Building Collapse: A Twitter User Complained About The Building 4 Days Ago / What Rising Insecurity,Material Prices Mean For Building Industry, Homeownership / What The Building That Collapsed In Port Harcourt Looked Like 3 Weeks Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by Sam2310(m): 3:06pm On Apr 17, 2021
sonnie10:

One thing I have decided is to do kobo kobo phases on my builds. That way, when I get defrauded, it is going to be very small amount. It’s better to run like the tortoise instead of deer who couldn’t complete the race.
grin
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by SavageResponse(m): 3:30pm On Apr 17, 2021
When doing business with Nigerian you need to keep both eyes open
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by waploger(m): 3:59pm On Apr 17, 2021
spyder880:
Stone chippings madness.

And so I asked a supplier to bring a trip of chippings to my site, we agreed on a full truck of 10 tons average. The truck driver refused to give me his location or travel progress from the onset, only to reach the site and start calling me that he is ready to offload. I quickly told him to wait till I can get someone to verify the quantity and size of his load. In less than a minute, he has tipped his truck and is ready to leave, asking for his balance of about N20,000.

The driver called me and wanted to take his pay immediately, I told him that this wasn't the agreement I had with the supplier, and he went berserk, preventing workers from working and causing obstruction of work flow. On phone, I asked all workers to go about their work and allow him be. So the driver ordered his boys to start manually throwing the chippings back into his truck, and if he moves with this load, he says he will never refund the earlier N80,000 I paid as advance for the chippings.

At that point I asked workers in the site to prevent him from moving my chippings, see trouble, a fight quickly broke out and the community gathered, it took the intervention of the community youths leadership to settle the matter. The driver was blamed for offloading without confirmation and I was asked to reduce his balance by N5,000.

Lesson learned, always deal with those you can trust.

anytime you have any work around Festac, i would like to be among the labourers

1 Like

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by Drdreluv: 4:10pm On Apr 17, 2021
Following
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by Richthekid: 4:50pm On Apr 17, 2021
Hmmmm
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by Lastanza: 5:01pm On Apr 17, 2021
One of the reasons why the Togolese, and people from other African countries are taking over the artisan jobs in Nigeria.

I used to be very bitter about the use of contract staff by some big companies in Nigeria and this is one of their reasons. Nigerians are just too dubious to deal with.

Pathetic!!

10 Likes

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by cayorday89(m): 5:45pm On Apr 17, 2021
spyder880:
ALL BECAUSE OF MMM

In the hey days of the MMM saga in Nigeria, I remember listening to a group of my workers on a busy site. I pretended not to be interested in their conversations and arguments but was eavesdropping on their every talks. I was alarmed at their level of misunderstanding and wrong perception of how money could be made. So I did the next best thing immediately.

I stopped all works at the same time and called about 16 of them to a surprise meeting, everyone gathered in a large uncompleted room and I made them explain to me what they understood about the MMM scheme. One after the other, they narrated to me how their friends has been cashing out big on the scheme and many other schemes ongoing at that time. They told me that everyone could just become a millionaire at the same time and that they were interested in making as much money as they can. I asked to see the hands of any of them who has "invested" in the schemes and over 12 hands went up, shocking was an understatement.

I then proceeded to lecture them on how the economy works, how money could be made, or lost. I tried my best in over one hour to tell them that its easier to lose money than to make money. They all kept a straight face and listened without questioning me. I later left the site but was stung by one comment which I heard from two boys plastering a room as I was walking out of the site. One was telling the other that "How can he be happy with us, you know that all these big men will never be happy if we get as rich as they are". The second boy mentioned "They will not be happy to see us rise out of poverty because nobody will be answering them Sir, or washing their cars anymore" I left the site with a lot of fear of what I know is about to happen.

On one bright December morning, I came to that same site to see the progress of the work, and there was no work ongoing. I asked for the head of the plastering team, he was sleeping in a corner, other workers has all absconded and abandoned the work. It took a long time, over 2 weeks for me to hear the full gist, of how this plastering leader has invested over N400,000 of our work money which I have been paying him on MMM. I also learnt that his MMM account has been frozen. They told me that over 10 workers are being owed money and they have all left the site. I instructed him to complete the work or I will arrest him, but I didn't immediately arrest him. He had sent his young wife and children packing, in the hope of marrying another wife when MMM pays him.

The arrest happened about a week later when I received information that he was selling cement and tiles in the site, the information was so precise that they told me where he stored our cement and tiles the previous night, ready to sell them. So I turned up next morning and dragged him to where the hidden materials are. After we found the materials, I lifted my phone and started calling police to come and take him away and he said I cannot do that, pushed me, and he took off on a run before i could hold him, i immediately gave chase, come and see drama that day, come and see me chasing him for over 40 meters inside a cassava farm, jumping over farm ridges and avoiding cassava stems. He nearly got away, but other workers jumped into the chase and cornered him in the next two streets away, he has gotten tired after running for so long.

They dragged him back to site and before I could come back from the main road, they had administered some beating on him, because they said he fought them, they wounded him in the process. I had to put him in my car and take him to a police station, it was another worker i later hired who later finished the plastering to my dissatisfaction. I had to pay for the labor afresh, bought the cement and tiles again, even the ones police took as evidence, I never went back to take it as they were saying we should close the case. The building was later completed on schedule, but the workers were dropped from my team.

The lesson here is to always educate your workers on a wide variety of subjects not connected to the work they are doing, it might prevent them from mistakes which will come back and hurt the project. Topics like drug abuse, family care, educational and business advancement, security tips and even health and safety standards should always be discussed.
Education they say is a scam in Nigeria, but your last paragraph is the main reason why education is important, it's all about enlightening the populace amidst diverse aspect of life...

1 Like

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by McKayConcept(m): 6:31pm On Apr 17, 2021
Making money is not by wishing but by self development that position you to offer value to people.

Join our training and learn the business of Web Development and start making money.

Secrets are only secrets to those who don't know

Send WhatsApp chat now to join

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by sonnie10: 8:57pm On Apr 17, 2021
waploger:

anytime you have any work around Festac, i would like to be among the labourers

Take another look at your previous topics here on NL and tell us who would want to hire you with such post. Internet does not forgive!

https://www.nairaland.com/6324999/want-ritualist

6 Likes

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by Personal123(m): 8:58pm On Apr 17, 2021
We supply and hual granite to Benin-City, Delta state, Bayelsa state, Rivers state, Anambra state, Imo state, Eboyin state, Cross River state, Abia state, Enugu state and Akwa Ibom state. Please support my hustle with a retweet and likes

4 Likes

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by Personal123(m): 9:02pm On Apr 17, 2021
Where is your location I can give you a better price.

sonnie10:

Why are they charging me 320k for 30tons when you pay 100k for 10tons. Isn’t quantity price supposed to be less. Location is the same SE .
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by omomy: 10:03pm On Apr 17, 2021
For your building materials such as sharp sand, gravel and wood, pls contact
CROWN on +2348114913360.

A trial will convince you.
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by uncleck: 10:34pm On Apr 17, 2021
Every Nigerian is a thief unless they've not seen what to steal. Engineers here are calling artisans thief as if they are any better. I've tried my hands on all aspects of building projects till I specialized on roofing. The best anyone can do is to learn how to minimize theft.

Ask me any question on how to prevent being defrauded in any stage of your building, I'll reply you here

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by waploger(m): 2:40am On Apr 18, 2021
sonnie10:

Take another look at your previous topics here on NL and tell us who would want to hire you with such post. Internet does not forgive!

inspector weldone, but you didn't have to hold my post against me
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by DedeNkem: 3:29am On Apr 18, 2021
waploger:

Why won't he? No sane person will hire you after reading your post (https://www.nairaland.com/6324999/want-ritualist)!

You are absolutely nuts!!

9 Likes

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by sonnie10: 4:20am On Apr 18, 2021
waploger:

It is normal to verify people before hiring them.

7 Likes

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by waploger(m): 10:13am On Apr 18, 2021
DedeNkem:

Why won't he? No sane person will hire you after reading your post ()!

so letting it out is now a sin...
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by waploger(m): 10:14am On Apr 18, 2021
sonnie10:

It is normally to verify people before hiring them.

and what if i told you this isn't my moniker?
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by waploger(m): 10:17am On Apr 18, 2021
DedeNkem:

Why won't he? No sane person will hire you after reading your post (https://www.nairaland.com/6324999/want-ritualist)!

other people on Nairaland post insane topics too.
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by MarveworldG: 10:51am On Apr 18, 2021
spyder880:
The case of the Missing electrical cables.

On the site of one of the beautiful houses I have built in this forum, I got two electricians to wire the house for me, I had bought the very costly Cutix cables for the whole house and knowing the high cost of the cables, which makes them more prone to pilfering, I brought the cables to the site in the trunk of my car and was standing in wait, watching as the cables were being used. I wanted to see what the real cable consumption will be so I can make near accurate decisions in other sites. I had fired two of my previous electricians before hiring these two, those who were fired was because of missing items, especially electric cables.

From the start, the two electricians were not comfortable with my presence and i could see it in their attitude. They seemed to be slowing things down in the hope that i will walk away so they could "act" but I stayed put, taking notes on how many rooms the cables can run. We were working on 2.5mm single core cables.

After about 5 hours of slow work, I decided to go find something to eat, so I brought out 2 cables, and unknown to the electricians, I gave them the cables with a new wrapper, quite different from all the old ones they were using all day. I returned to site after about an hour, by that time they were calling me on phone to come back and give them more cables since they had exhausted the 3 coils I gave them before leaving. I immediately suspected foul play.

So I walked into the site and they were asking me, "is the boot open?" I replied them with "Can I see the wrapper of the cables that just finished?" Meanwhile, I was walking through the remaining rooms to see the coverage of the cables, only one additional room was wired in my absence. Something is clearly wrong here.

They went and got me the old wrappers as the ones they just used, I laughed and told them that their trap just caught a useless smelly rat today. That's how the search for the new wrapper started. Two hours, and they were still up turning everything and searching for the wrappers they just used.

They gave every reason in the book why the wrappers varnished, but I insisted that except they produce the wrappers, they are going to the nearest police station from the site. I started calling policemen in the station to come to site and make the arrest. Me and other workers all joined the search, for hidden coils of cables this time around. It took another one hour or more before one carpenter climbed into the ceiling and onto the roof, from there he found 2 brand new unopened cables, plus another 1.5mm cable all neatly hidden in the roof, away from our eyes. The electricians later admitted to hiding the cables in the ceiling. I just gave them transport money to return to Enugu same night, because I can no longer tolerate their presence in the site.

Things do happen in sites o

We offer home interior design services and would appreciate it if you have a job for us.
We can talk about the commission
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by spyder880(m): 11:52am On Apr 18, 2021
THE FAMILY TAKEOVER

On a new building we built right here in this forum, the owner had paind us to build a block of flats and the work went fast and smooth. But I got to learn that the owner secretly bought this land through one of his relatives, without the knowledge of other relatives.

I had already roofed this house and as we were about to complete the roof trimming, the owner called me and told me of his plans to allow his relatives to come and complete the building since they won't be happy if they dont participate in the building of the house, I agreed. We agreed that they will take over as soon as I complete the roofing. So my workers left the site on a Saturday evening.

I turned up on Monday morning to inspect the roofing and get final update pictures from this site, I was still outside when I started perceiving the smell of something, I slowly opened the gate to see 4 young men seated on a bench, one was wrapping a package, while another was smoking a package. The atmosphere was so tense, I couldn't turn back, I was already inside.

But walk in I did, nobody greeted me, but I managed to ask who they were, they didn't freely answer, instead asking me who I was. I told them. They remained calm but no smiles. I remained calm and walked up the stairs to see where the roofing was done. Up on the top floor, I started calling my crew to come to the site, as I dont know what might happen next.

I was there till one of my people pulled up and started calling me, he later came up and joined me. But we left a few roofing materials in the site, I wanted to take them since I had completed the roofing. I started calling a vehicle to come and take the roofing sheets remaining.

Another vehicle pulled up as we came down the stairs, and the boys in the vehicle started loading our left over materials, roofing wood, old used planks and a few new ones which I had left in the hope of using it for scaffolding footings. They started loading these into the vehicle. I came down and asked what they were doing but got no replies.

It was later that I knew that they had sold the old and left over materials to people, hours after taking over the site, even my plastic tank which I bought new and brought to this site so we could use it to store water in the site, they started claiming the tank as their own, and I feared they might sell it also.

To cut the long story short, I left the site without stopping them or retrieving the plastic tank. They didn't take it away in my presence but I don't k now if they did that later.

Site stories, we're just starting.

4 Likes

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by spyder880(m): 11:53am On Apr 18, 2021
MarveworldG:

We offer home interior design services and would appreciate it if you have a job for us.
We can talk about the commission

Ok, I will keep your contacts handy.

1 Like

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by MarveworldG: 12:49pm On Apr 18, 2021
spyder880:

Ok, I will keep your contacts handy.
Really appreciate sir

1 Like

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by DedeNkem: 1:02pm On Apr 18, 2021
waploger:

other people on Nairaland post insane topics too.

Why not also go and steal simply because people steal.
How some of you guys on NL think sometimes reminds me why crooked politicians think everyone is stupid.

5 Likes

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by DedeNkem: 1:05pm On Apr 18, 2021
waploger:

so letting it out is now a sin...

So, you openly seeking advice to go into crime is not a "sin"?!!

I thought you were only nuts, I didn't know you're also absolutely delusional!

5 Likes

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by Uwaomaokey(m): 4:07pm On Apr 18, 2021
uncleck:
Every Nigerian is a thief unless they've not seen what to steal. Engineers here are calling artisans thief as if they are any better. I've tried my hands on all aspects of building projects till I specialized on roofing. The best anyone can do is to learn how to minimize theft.

Ask me any question on how to prevent being defrauded in any stage of your building, I'll reply you here
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by waploger(m): 5:41pm On Apr 18, 2021
DedeNkem:

So, you openly seeking advice to go into crime is not a "sin"?!!

I thought you were only nuts, I didn't know you're also absolutely delusional!

cheesy its your job as a human to advice me not to venture into the crime.
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by DedeNkem: 6:50pm On Apr 18, 2021
waploger:

cheesy its your job as a human to advice me not to venture into the crime.

If my responses, especially, the one I stated that "no one would hire you with that post" doesn't remind you to not go into crime, and if you NEED someone to specifically tell you to not go into crime, then you're a lost cause.

5 Likes

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by RobbStark(m): 7:03pm On Apr 18, 2021
My story is long but will try to keep it short.

I have this client that want me to just come around like 3times weekly for supervision as he already had workmen carryout out the work. so after the decking, he asked me to carry in with the work but he does the buying of materials and payment.

So there is mason/carpenter I have who happened to have worked with me in a lot of sites here in Port Harcourt cos of his mason n carpentry skill possessed.
So after forming of blocks, the man cos of boards, he wud not want to rush the work so that the decking gathers strength, as we did not give days for curing....

I left this guy there alone to be laying the blocks and doing any carpentry works as may be the case, this guy connive with the labour the client kept at the site to undermine me and the client.
I didn't call him and didn't visit the site as I was busy starting another project at the foundation stage, he didn't call me or inform me in the happening at site. I told the client since he has been discussing other works with this guy without me, I wud not be held liable for works I didn't do or aware of.
The client took me to a bar to talk as I was telling him he didn't do Easter for us. while we were having bottles, he started telling me about how the guy has been pissing him off with high price of work. I told him he shud always inform me of any work to be done newly since I wasn't around all the time. I also complained of some other stuff he was doing that wasn't professional even after I told him what to do but he did his own.

The client wanted to push him away but itild him to allow him finish the work in his hand then he can go
as I write, I have removed him from doing the roof carcass. His attention has shifted to plastering, which I have also bring someone to evaluate and come up with his own price.

By Monday 2moro, the roof work starts he wud be dormant and be waiting for the plastering.

Even the bamboo scaffold he told the client 50k, the man told him he will consult with me or he shud discuss the matter with me, he changed his mouth and said let the man pay 30k. when I heard it, I laffed.

Well, in concluding, my other sites thatvi have full control, I have stopped him working there. This one will finish soon and I will be happy I won't have to work with someone who feels he came to the site himself and secure whatever job he is doing.

OP, other contributors, God bless you all as you do the right thing always at your various sites

7 Likes

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by RobbStark(m): 7:05pm On Apr 18, 2021
Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by RobbStark(m): 7:15pm On Apr 18, 2021
achi4u:
Finding an honest workers this days is like finding a pin in the bottom of a pit, once they started quoting Bible and behaving like a good person... Suspect him.

A man came to me with Bible in his hands that he supplies woods for roofing and any kind of work. I asked him if he is coming from church or going to church since there were lots of church in the street.
He said he was an evangelist.

I took his contact didn't save it and it's been a year now I haven't called him.

I have learnt my lesson with people who put God in discussions with you as regards work.
The year was 2013, I won't forget that year the pains I have to go through.

Never again

5 Likes

Re: Behind the scenes in the building industry (collection of funny site stories) by mufutau55(m): 7:53pm On Apr 18, 2021
spyder880:
THE FAMILY TAKEOVER

On a new building we built right here in this forum, the
Site stories, we're just starting.

Did you call the owner? If so, what was his reaction and action?

Hajji M.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagosians To Obtain Licence To Drill Borehole From 2020 / Questions To Ask Before Buying A Land / Four Siblings Trapped To Death As Building Collapses In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.