Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Re: How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Re: How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me (747 Views)

My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration / The Bad Behaviour Of Some Nigerians Abroad / How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me by Ceyacap275: 2:43pm On Mar 08, 2021
Re: https://www.nairaland.com/6447404/how-nigerians-abroad-complain-loneliness

Permit me to do a follow-up to this very sensitive topic, at least sensitive to me.

I will also say I believe I am qualified to write about this having lived legally in 3 different countries (continents) in the last 11 years.
I have had the opportunity to live in Manchester, Dubai and currently live in Canada since 2018.
I had mad fun in Manchester, yet I was an introvert then. I enjoyed Dubai and it was never dull for me. I saw the money I wanted and I was never bored.

I was already an extrovert by the time I moved to Canada. I work in a FI where I needed all the social skills and I talk and socialize every business hour of the day (almost every).However, this place is boring. It is a loneliness haven.

I actually made this thread 'cause I noticed as usual that some people had turned the initial one to a "talk-to-girl", "talk-to-boy" issue; some people who are still dreaming in our "lovely" country, still shouting "enugbe" on other threads but will be quick to be judges on other people's sincere expressions.

Someone talked about gyms, churches, etc....Gyms are closed. religious centers operate at 1/3 capacity now, physical library is closed.
As for me, I am single but I mingle well, have both guys and girls visit me with some girls sleeping over; spend quality time on my PS5, and I also visit friends. I have had to travel to Nigeria 3 times already in 3 years just to enjoy a bit of sanity and vanity as well; and of course, video calls to my naija friends from time to time brings so much smiles and laughter that I don't even mind sending them whatever I can from time to time.

However, that does not stop the boredom or loneliness when it comes in. I have had to drive around the city just to get lively, finished 1.4l bottle of drink all alone on a weekend and many more of such. You need to be here to know how it feels. And it is not only me; I have a couple of married men who get bored and come chill at my place. I have friends who will say they were bored last weekend but did not want to come disturb me cause they came already during the week.

And for those that will advise that I come back to Naija, I don't need to be told. I am already building a future I would want for myself over there; hence my frequent visit. The current exchange rate has also brought so much joy.

Everyone will experience some things differently but do not be quick to think you would have done it any better. who no go no know.

1 Like

Re: Re: How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me by felixzo1(m): 7:22pm On Mar 09, 2021
its getting interesting.
Re: Re: How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me by 79733139(m): 8:50pm On Mar 09, 2021
Ceyacap275: You have friends in Canada and that's a very good thing. It shows you are proactive about your social life. You can always add more people who reason like you to your social circle. The occasional boredom is normal and it's a part of adult life... even in Nigeria we have that. It is the chronic loneliness and refusal to do anything except complain that "whites (oyinbo) are snobs" that was being over flogged in the original thread.

2 Likes

Re: Re: How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me by Drenimarcus(m): 6:38am On Mar 11, 2021
The west can be extremely boring. Now, with COVID-19, everyone has retired to their shell. I am an ambivert, I try to mingle with my Nigerian pals, go on my Play Station etc. Sometimes I even fly out of my state to go chill with other peeps.

Weird when people complain about loneliness when there are apps to meet people. Meetup app is an example. Problem with people is, they want to mingle with the Caucasians, Caucasians rarely open their circle to strangers.

This is what is killing the west tho, no sense of community. Hopefully, with the vaccines, things will get better.

5 Likes

Re: Re: How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me by Ceyacap275: 4:14am On Mar 12, 2021
I was watching the TV today and came across this Youtube channel by a Naija single lady. I think the girls passed across vital information..but as with all information, it is good to sieve it and adapt it to your lifestyle. It will be helpful to most singles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0qGNS-0bWI

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Need Advice / The Experience Of A Canadian Living In Nigeria / The Nigerian Railway Corporation Is Working| A Visual Tour Of Lagos-ibadan Train

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.