Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

Skill Acquisition Training Vs Tertiary Institution. Plight Of Nigerian Youths. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Skill Acquisition Training Vs Tertiary Institution. Plight Of Nigerian Youths. (947 Views)

Open Letter To IGP Over Plight Of Teachers In Police Schools By Joseph Anjorin / What Course Did You Study In The Tertiary Institution And What's your job now? / How To Graduate With First Class In Any Tertiary Institution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Skill Acquisition Training Vs Tertiary Institution. Plight Of Nigerian Youths. by Childofthelord(f): 3:32am On Mar 11, 2021
"School na scam" "Bill gates and Mark Zuckerberg have no degrees"
You will usually here this phrase from youths and students who see no future, hope or necessity in their University education.
Others have brothers and sisters who graduated from Universities but never used their degree. Some graduates sell wigs online, do menial Jobs or are into Binance and cryptocurrency.
All in all, many youths are still fighting their way to get into a University, many of them write Jamb year after year. PostUtme after PostUtme. They attend many private lessons and hire tutors just to enable them get a University admission. And many people get in hardly recover from carry-overs.
Those wasted years and money can be put into sometime useful.
Is University education really compulsory? Why is there no accepted/popular alternative learning/ skill acquisition opportunity for the non-book smart. Why is skill acquisition regarded as a second option in Nigeria.
Why does it sound derogatory to learn tailoring, baking, mechatronics, etc.

Lets be honest, not every youth is really interested in tertiary education. Many are under parental pressure to go to the university like every other person does. This narrative has to change. Not everyone is bound to excel on pen and paper. Everyone is wired differently. Imagine if these Yahoo boys could put their street-smart knowledge into good use.

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Skill Acquisition Training Vs Tertiary Institution. Plight Of Nigerian Youths. by Jerryherd: 5:42am On Mar 11, 2021
A good University degree helps you shape your mind and prepare you for real life problem solving and task

1 Like

Re: Skill Acquisition Training Vs Tertiary Institution. Plight Of Nigerian Youths. by Cousin9999: 6:05am On Mar 11, 2021
There's no valid argument, generally speaking, against a college education.

And why not do both. Getting a uni education and a trade gives you insight, development, and options many others don't have.

1 Like

Re: Skill Acquisition Training Vs Tertiary Institution. Plight Of Nigerian Youths. by ProJectAnatot(m): 10:17am On Mar 11, 2021
Childofthelord:
"School na scam" "Bill gates and Mark Zuckerberg have no degrees"
You will usually here this phrase from youths and students who see no future, hope or necessity in their University education.
Others have brothers and sisters who graduated from Universities but never used their degree. Some graduates sell wigs online, do menial Jobs or are into Binance and cryptocurrency.
All in all, many youths are still fighting their way to get into a University, many of them write Jamb year after year. PostUtme after PostUtme. They attend many private lessons and hire tutors just to enable them get a University admission. And many people get in hardly recover from carry-overs.
Those wasted years and money can be put into sometime useful.
Is University education really compulsory? Why is there no accepted/popular alternative learning/ skill acquisition opportunity for the non-book smart. Why is skill acquisition regarded as a second option in Nigeria.
Why does it sound derogatory to learn tailoring, baking, mechatronics, etc.

Lets be honest, not every youth is really interested in tertiary education. Many are under parental pressure to go to the university like every other person does. This narrative has to change. Not everyone is bound to excel on pen and paper. Everyone is wired differently. Imagine if these Yahoo boys could put their street-smart knowledge into good use.

What do you think?

Well, I have thought about this myself. Truth be said school is not for everyone... But many people go to school with the wrong mindset especially in Nigeria. In the West parents bring up their wards in a way they will appreciate where their talent lies and exploit it to make themselves better. You see them organizing different talent shows, different grants, art shows etc just to get talents. But the opposite is the case here.
Parents push their wards to study courses they don't have a single passion for. At the end they fail and fail out or fail to graduate. Don't get me wrong, I know the West have achieved almost everything possible socially, they are not fighting hunger, poverty, inequality etc.. Also they can afford to switch course/career at almost any point meanwhile the opposite is the case here. Therefore when we(Nigerians)go through school and money is not coming as projected or we discover there are no jobs as was told to us in classrooms, frustration sets in and there the "School na scam"slogan starts to fly around. But who can blame anyone for using that line when the government cannot even provide basic jobs/employment. I can't remember when last the federal govt employed workers... The only thing they do now is one form of useless empowerment or the other after one must have schooled for not less than 4years... So last last school na scam if e no fit provide for you!.. Imagine a grown man/lady with responsibilities collecting N30k (less than $100 ) stipend at month end.!!!
Let me stop here biko

Good morning.

1 Like

Re: Skill Acquisition Training Vs Tertiary Institution. Plight Of Nigerian Youths. by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:32pm On Mar 11, 2021
The only skills i would advise any youth to get is digital ICT skills. Coding, UI and UX design, graphic design, video editing and animations. These skills enable you to work for companies abroad and help you get paid a very nice salary while you live in Nigeria but you see those tailoring et al. Run far away from that shit as a youth.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Skill Acquisition Training Vs Tertiary Institution. Plight Of Nigerian Youths. by Childofthelord(f): 4:52pm On Mar 11, 2021
But Tailors can become High class Fashion designers and make cloths and dresses worth millions for celebrities. Sha not in Nigeria. But isn't the ICT field of web design too saturated already. Legit everyone is trying to do IT. I think cybersecurity and ethical hacking is the new gig!
Just last week, Chinese hackers disrupted Microsoft -Outlook emails and also accessed classified government files. The need for high level cyber protection is key because even VPNs are not all safe. IT intelligence is hot at the moment. Data analytics too, hot cake!

tensazangetsu20:
The only skills i would advise any youth to get is digital ICT skills. Coding, UI and UX design, graphic design, video editing and animations. These skills enable you to work for companies abroad and help you get paid a very nice salary while you live in Nigeria but you see those tailoring et al. Run far away from that shit as a youth.
Re: Skill Acquisition Training Vs Tertiary Institution. Plight Of Nigerian Youths. by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:11pm On Mar 11, 2021
Childofthelord:
But Tailors can become High class Fashion designers and make cloths and dresses worth millions for celebrities. Sha not in Nigeria. But isn't the ICT field of web design too saturated already. Legit everyone is trying to do IT. I think cybersecurity and ethical hacking is the new gig!
Just last week, Chinese hackers disrupted Microsoft -Outlook emails and also accessed classified government files. The need for high level cyber protection is key because even VPNs are not all safe. IT intelligence is hot at the moment. Data analytics too, hot cake!

How many traders become high end fashion designers. Enter Lagos, every street has at least ten tailors and the field of ICT even web development or design can never be saturated. The internet as we know is just around 25 years old. A large part of the world is still having issues with internet access, once it's available everywhere the supply won't be able to meet the demand at all. But even presently there's so much demand for web developers it's crazy. Cybersecurity is a really good field but it's not easy to get into if you are broke as the certifications are very expensive but it's a very high paying field if one can get certified.
Re: Skill Acquisition Training Vs Tertiary Institution. Plight Of Nigerian Youths. by ShadowCracker(m): 8:18pm On Mar 11, 2021
Childofthelord:

You are smart and it is always good to see smart ladies wink.
but sister you are misinformed, Firstly Web development is very wide.
There is
-Front-end development.
-Back-end development
-Cloud computing
-Platform-based development(CMS).

You cannot know everything, one must specialize and it takes years for one to master.
If not one would end up like those quack developers advertising 10k inferior websites in the web section shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

Secondly, according to BuiltWith, there are 154,920,902 live active websites shocked, and not every country has complete internet access especially Nigeria here, imagine if every area of Nigeria has access to the internet the business prospect of Web development is crazy.

Yes, web development is evolving, knowledge of Html, CSS, and Php is just simply not enough to build current industry-standard quality websites except the 10k websites gang wink.
Just ensure you specialize and know your onions well, there will always be opportunities don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Web development is saturated for quack developers.
Web development can never be saturated for good developers.
Don't just take my words for it research about it.

3 Likes

Re: Skill Acquisition Training Vs Tertiary Institution. Plight Of Nigerian Youths. by Jack273: 3:50am On Mar 12, 2021
If there is one thing I've learnt in this life is not to generalize, surprisingly or not, I didn't learn that in school. When I hear people say "school na scam" I feel the need to point out that it depends on the course one is studying. For courses like Medicine, school is not only not a scam but a necessity, as for the others, formal education might not be necessary.

Just two weeks ago I discovered that what I've spent the last 5 years studying (6 if you include last year) can be learnt in less than a year. Also the most important thing I learnt in school, which was in my senior secondary school days, was that I don't need a teacher to teach me, as long as I can read I can learn anything.

The truth of the matter is that the education system is outdated, at least the one we have here. School is meant to prepare one for life but what we have is the opposite. I had a lecturer in my year 3 who was always saying that grades don't matter it is about what you know. I never got an A in any of his course. Last two years I went for my Industrial Training, that was when I understood what he was trying to tell us. It was then I knew I know nothing.

In school we are made to cram formulas and diagrams but in the real world we are given those and asked to interpret the result. In my field we still perform complicated calculations involving series of iterations on paper while in the real world they use python and Matlab. In school we are made to work alone and any form of collaboration is seen as cheating even in classwork, assignment and projects while in the real world teamwork is a virtue. I can go on and on as to how for a course like mine, school na scam. Unfortunately I did not realize this on time, maybe I would have dropped out if I did. Now it is too late to drop out as I have less than 7 months remaining. The major reason though while I haven't given dropping out much thought is because I know that this my stand on school being a scam only applies to my undergraduate degree program as I'm so looking forward to be done with it so I can start the more interesting 2nd degree.

A lot of people will continue to fall for this cheap scam unless a better alternative is provided. One thing I discovered after gaining admission was that the greatest hindrance to my education was schooling (I can't explain what I mean by this, maybe later).

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Parents Petition Against Principal FGC, Nise, Say Our Children are In Prison / Is This Admission Into Atlantic International University Real Or Fake? / Ond/hnd@oduduwa Polytechnic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.