Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,816 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

How To Get Moisture Out Of A Mattress - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Get Moisture Out Of A Mattress (839 Views)

Please Help Me With A Mattress (bed) / Lovely Used Baby Cot With A Mattress just 5,000 SOLD / Money Found Hidden Under A Mattress By A Guest In My Home. What Does This Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get Moisture Out Of A Mattress by Y4all: 3:38pm On Mar 11, 2021
A wet mattress is a problem because it breeds mold and mildew which could be detrimental to your general wellbeing!
Accidents happen all the time; there can be many instances where water unintentionally gets into your mattress like your child bedwetting, leaving the window open during the rainy season, the faucet running over but whatever the case, it is worth noting that liquids weaken the integrity of a mattress, so the key to saving a wet mattress is drying it as quickly as possible. This will prevent the growth of mold or mildew, when this happens; your mattress develops a musky odor that could inadvertently affect how you interact with your mattress.

Here are tips on how to dry your mattress quickly:
1. Blot the area with a clean, dry towel. Press a clean towel into the mattress to soak up as much moisture. Replace the towel as soon as they become soaked.

2. Kill the bacteria/remove the stain. If the liquid stain is caused by urine or any other type liquid that contains bacteria, it is important to prevent a bacterial formation in the lining. Use a urine remover which is sold in stores or you could use home remedies like hydrogen peroxide or vinegar.

3. Dry with a hairdryer. If the spilled liquid is small, then aim the hairdryer on the spot, use a warm, instead of hot setting. Keep the dryer moving for the best result.

4. Apply a moisture absorbing substance. A baking soda is an easy to get liquid absorbing substance and it is safe too. Cover the area with the baking soda, rub it in using a toothbrush, this ensures that the inside layers will dry out quickly not just the surface. Let it sit for up to12 hours for maximum absorption. See also: https://www.wincofoam.com/how-to-deodorize-a-mattress/

5. Use a wet/dry vacuum to soak up excess liquid. Turn on a wet/dry vacuum and run the nozzle over the wet parts of the mattress in long, even strokes to suck up the liquid. Disinfect the vacuum nozzle first, as you don't want to touch your mattress with a nozzle that's been stuck into cobweb-filled corners of the garage. Simply wipe it with an antibacterial wipe, inside and out, and let it dry. 

6. Prevent mold from forming. Make a mixture rubbing alcohol and water of equal parts, soak a towel in the mix, and wring it properly. Wipe the towel over the affected area. Repeat this process several times using a different part of the towel each time. The alcohol will help prevent the formation of mold, mildew or a musky smell; it will also help speed up the drying process. see  also: https://www.wincofoam.com/how-to-prevent-molding-in-mattress/

7. Expose the mattress to direct sunlight. Take your mattress outdoors, choose the part that is most exposed to direct sunlight and place your mattress there. The sun has the added benefit of displacing bacteria in your mattress as well.

Note that, though these tips have been tested over time, if not properly done, the expected result might be different. Also note that in a case of flood, following these tips may not bring about the required result and as such, it might be time to get a new mattress.
If you liked this piece, you might want to check these out: 

https://www.wincofoam.com/mattress-sanitization-service-in-nigeria/

https://www.wincofoam.com/5-bedwetting-hacks-to-help-your-kids-have-dry-nights/

https://www.wincofoam.com/how-to-care-for-your-kids-mattress/
Re: How To Get Moisture Out Of A Mattress by Oluromantic: 10:31pm On Mar 11, 2021
This is a very expository piece of information and I'm surprised nobody has made any comment on it despite 75 views because money and nudes aren't involved. Right?

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Moisture Out Of A Mattress by Oizee(f): 3:40am On Mar 12, 2021
Oluromantic:
This is a very expository piece of information and I'm surprised nobody has made any comment on it despite 75 views because money and nudes aren't involved. Right?
the most important thing is that, we find the post very helpful, I personally read it with concentration..

there's nothing to add so y must we comment?
nice one @OP
Re: How To Get Moisture Out Of A Mattress by Oluromantic: 6:18am On Mar 12, 2021
Oizee:
the most important thing is that, we find the post very helpful, I personally read it with concentration..

nice one @OP
You just did.
Re: How To Get Moisture Out Of A Mattress by Y4all: 2:34pm On May 24, 2021
Oizee:

nice one @OP

Thank You
Re: How To Get Moisture Out Of A Mattress by Y4all: 2:35pm On May 24, 2021
Oluromantic:

We are glad you find this article helpful smiley

(1) (Reply)

Please Fam, Help Clear My Confusion Cos I Dont Understand Any More / HELP: My Biological Father Is Always Laying Courses On Me / Relocation Clearance Sales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.