Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,760 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. (1899 Views)

Peter Obi Jogging On Onitsha Dirty Street With Open Gutters He Refused To Fix / Wizkid: I Will Send Old Nigerian Politicians To Retirement Homes In 2023 / Do We Actually Have A Plan To Eliminate Open Gutters In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by VaselineCrew: 10:39am On Mar 12, 2021
Below are examples of properties worth 10s or 100s of millions on the island in Lagos, but after paying that money, you still have this type of mess in front of your house.

OPEN GUTTERS... it seems no government in any state in Nigeria, has plans for covered drainages and sidewalks.

If homes in Victoria Island Lagos are dealing with open gutters, then what about other areas of Lagos and the country?

I keep telling Nigerians that good governance is mostly found in the little things that add up to major feats.

Little things like proper lane markings on the roads, closed drainages, and so on. These things matter, from an order point of view all the way to attracting tourists.

It’s not always by initiating massive projects, some of which become abandoned or neglected, that you’ll know your government is working. Don’t get me wrong, we need those massive projects, but I could argue that, closing all gutters nation-wide, though seemingly unimportant, would have a better long term benefit, than say, an ambitious new bridge.

Think tourism, other nationalities could visit Victoria Island in Lagos and not run back to their country with tales of Open and stinky gutters.

Then there are health considerations, of having waste openly displayed to the public.

5 Likes

Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by SarkinYarki: 10:46am On Mar 12, 2021
My brother even in Banana Island .... Nigerians are one of the low frequency people I have come across...you need to see the gutters in my Lekki Phase one street

7 Likes

Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by VaselineCrew: 10:51am On Mar 12, 2021
SarkinYarki:
My brother even in Banana Island .... Nigerians are one of the low frequency people I have come across...you need to see the gutters in my Lekki Phase one street

I’m telling you bro, it just doesn’t make sense.

Yet they sometimes price these houses and shops in the so called “choice locations” at astronomical prices; prices even higher than in some developed countries were homes have running water, electricity, paved neighborhood roads and no open gutters.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by iaamxavier(m): 10:58am On Mar 12, 2021
I'm truly disturbed when ever I see gutter opened so wide with a very disgusting sewage displayed to the public, no side walks/pedestrian lane, no lane marking, no trees planted strategically, bare field on people front yards (island inclusive)

The worst is the sand that accompanies the "side walk" making the environment look like a third world shit hole.
I feel we need a very strong environmental law in this country
Like who has open gutter in 2021?

5 Likes

Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by okeyglm: 11:03am On Mar 12, 2021
At my former residence in trans ekulu. the whole estate is covered with underground drainage but due to lack of maintenance culture of our people the drainage has been blocked.

4 Likes

Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:08am On Mar 12, 2021
Blame the useless state and local gov't authorities.

1 Like

Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by Cashsteady(m): 11:41am On Mar 12, 2021
blame the residents not the government... Nigerians are generally dirty especially those Yahoo boys.. in my area there is a one fine house like this but wetin spoil THat house na those useless Yahoo guys the whole house is filled with takeaways, bottles and sorts of dirt Nigeria don't Know how to keep their environment clean
Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by MAKEOUTHlLL: 12:53pm On Mar 12, 2021
real estate in Nigeria is just sad tbvh

where do I start from?

is it the uninspired architecture that is tagged as "ultramodern"?

or

should we look at the utter lack of taste when it comes to interior design

or

the scam we all love to believe in called Lekki/Epe axis.

4 Likes

Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by Ifesinachi22(m): 1:40pm On Mar 12, 2021
okeyglm:
At my former residence in trans ekulu. the whole estate is covered with underground drainage but due to lack of maintenance culture of our people the drainage has been blocked.

CBN Estate.

Do people still stay there? Looks empty to me
Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by okeyglm: 1:42pm On Mar 12, 2021
Ifesinachi22:

CBN Estate
yes. and other areas
Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by PlayerMeji: 3:52pm On Mar 12, 2021
Come to Asokoro, Maitama, Wuse 2, etc... There are no open drainages.

Open drainages are for the poor
Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by duro4chang(m): 5:05pm On Mar 12, 2021
Surprisingly in villages gutters are not as dirty as we have them in the cities in Nigeria.
Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by SouthNigerian: 5:18pm On Mar 12, 2021
OP is absolutely on point.

There are 2 main canals opposite and behind our almighty Eko Hotel. Those 2 Canals are the homes of "pupu".

Opposite & behind our highly rated Eko Hotel, people bend down and shit. Disgusting.
Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by VaselineCrew: 8:48am On Mar 18, 2021
PlayerMeji:
Come to Asokoro, Maitama, Wuse 2, etc... There are no open drainages.

Open drainages are for the poor

It seems a lot more places in Abuja have sidewalks instead of open gutters.

It needs to become a standard around Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by BlackfireX: 11:36am On Mar 18, 2021
southern ultra modern houses are trash, as confirmed by the op and those that responded..

but come to the north, like Abujah ... you will marvel..

we set the pace and hold the ace
Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Mar 18, 2021
VaselineCrew:
Below are examples of properties worth 10s or 100s of millions on the island in Lagos, but after paying that money, you still have this type of mess in front of your house.

OPEN GUTTERS... it seems no government in any state in Nigeria, has plans for covered drainages and sidewalks.

If homes in Victoria Island Lagos are dealing with open gutters, then what about other areas of Lagos and the country?

I keep telling Nigerians that good governance is mostly found in the little things that add up to major feats.

Little things like proper lane markings on the roads, closed drainages, and so on. These things matter, from an order point of view all the way to attracting tourists.

It’s not always by initiating massive projects, some of which become abandoned or neglected, that you’ll know your government is working. Don’t get me wrong, we need those massive projects, but I could argue that, closing all gutters nation-wide, though seemingly unimportant, would have a better long term benefit, than say, an ambitious new bridge.

Think tourism, other nationalities could visit Victoria Island in Lagos and not run back to their country with tales of Open and stinky gutters.

Then there are health considerations, of having waste openly displayed to the public.

OP Kano has no open gutters in her roads and streets.
Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by Jakumo(m): 1:45pm On Mar 18, 2021
VaselineCrew:

Open gutters are a beloved fixture of Nigerian city life. Those death traps serve to test and improve the eyesight of pedestrians, forcing them to glance downward before every step, so as not to find themselves doing the backstroke in an open drain full of raw sewage.

Furthermore, the feces-flavored stagnant water found in open gutters is cherished by Kano youths in beautiful northern Nigeria, who enjoy inhaling the toxic methane fumes wafting out of those gutters, because it gets them high as a muffug, without their having to waste money on alcohol or drugs.

In conclusion, open gutters are to Nigeria what Apple Pie, the Fourth of July, and Monday Night Football, represent to America. Give me open gutter water to drink and bathe, or give me death.

1 Like

Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by Monogamy: 2:00pm On Mar 18, 2021
The potopotians are very good in castigating others while their region is in dilapidated situation.

Will this epistle bring water to Enugu people.

Oh I forget, Enugu is in God's hand even if their is no water

1 Like

Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by Dotherightthing: 3:03pm On Mar 18, 2021
Monogamy:
The potopotians are very good in castigating others while their region is in dilapidated situation.

Will this epistle bring water to Enugu people.

Oh I forget, Enugu is in God's hand even if their is no water

grin
Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by Rossikk(m): 4:07pm On Mar 18, 2021
Yeah Op you're right.

It's an absolute disgrace that we still have open gutters in Nigeria.

Do you realise that as far back as the 15th century, Ancient Benin city had underground drainage, and even had streetlights (lit with palm oil) 300 years before any city in Europe?

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/18/story-of-cities-5-benin-city-edo-nigeria-mighty-medieval-capital-lost-without-trace
Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by VaselineCrew: 11:53am On Mar 29, 2021
Jakumo:

Open gutters are a beloved fixture of Nigerian city life. Those death traps serve to test and improve the eyesight of pedestrians, forcing them to glance downward before every step, so as not to find themselves doing the backstroke in an open drain full of raw sewage.

Furthermore, the feces-flavored stagnant water found in open gutters is cherished by Kano youths in beautiful northern Nigeria, who enjoy inhaling the toxic methane fumes wafting out of those gutters, because it gets them high as a muffug, without their having to waste money on alcohol or drugs.

In conclusion, open gutters are to Nigeria what Apple Pie, the Fourth of July, and Monday Night Football, represent to America. Give me open gutter water to drink and bathe, or give me death.

lol, I shouldn't be laughing at such a serious issue, but this was funny.

I went to buy rice the other day in lekki and walked past an open gutter, the stench was out of this world; Like poop that had been drying in the sun.

Honestly, we will know visionary leaders in Nigeria by big and small things like closing gutters/building sidewalks were the open gutters are.

1 Like

Re: Open Gutters And Multi Million Naira Homes In Nigeria. by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:05pm On Mar 29, 2021
SouthNigerian:
OP is absolutely on point.

There are 2 main canals opposite and behind our almighty Eko Hotel. Those 2 Canals are the homes of "pupu".

Opposite & behind our highly rated Eko Hotel, people bend down and shit. Disgusting.

Hehehehehe grin grin grin

And it’s always the dudes! grin

(1) (Reply)

South West Govs Urged To Prioritise Establishment Of Shariah Court / Facebook To Base It's 2nd African Headquarters In Nigeria / When Did Tweeting Becomes Human Right?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.