Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,818 members, 7,820,883 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Gainfully Employed But Scared To Spend Money. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Gainfully Employed But Scared To Spend Money. (277 Views)

What Can A Young Graduate Gainfully Engage In Apart From Tech? / 5 Things That Can Make You Self-employed In Nigeria / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gainfully Employed But Scared To Spend Money. by No1LevelIT: 6:37pm On Mar 12, 2021
I think I have a problem. I am legit afraid of spending money.

A bit of background, I didn't grow up poor but cannot class myself as growing up rich despite some nice experiences. Couldn't afford to further my education so left education system quite young (after learning a skill) and started working my way up ladders in corporate world. Now despite some challenges along the way and stints of long term under/unemployment, i'm now in a position where I have a decent investment portfolio, learning how to trade cryptocurrency, make decent money at my 9-5 job that has prospects and also since beginning of the year i've been getting a frequent freelance jobs online. All income sources combined, I can comfortably make N400-500K and even above in a month. I'm also in my 20's, single, living at home, don't drink/smoke/gamble/have any vices, don't pay tithes.

Despite all this, I struggle with spending money. I would rather walk for one hour instead of spending N100 tp fare. When i'm hungry, I would force myself to wait until I get home before eating, even if it's N500 chicken republic refuel meal. I get invited for social events but I procastinate and start thinking about all the things I could save/invest the money with (which is where most of my money goes into) and end up staying home. I am so afraid of not having money it's affecting my sleep, which comes into my head whenever it comes to spending money.

For those who have gone through this, how did you overcome this problem? Advice from experienced heads would be appreciated. I'm even considering seeking counselling over this.

1 Like

Re: Gainfully Employed But Scared To Spend Money. by Freestainworld(m): 6:42pm On Mar 12, 2021
You are naturally stingy
Re: Gainfully Employed But Scared To Spend Money. by SanctifiedSista(f): 6:46pm On Mar 12, 2021
No1LevelIT:
I think I have a problem. I am legit afraid of spending money.

A bit of background, I didn't grow up poor but cannot class myself as growing up rich despite some nice experiences. Couldn't afford to further my education so left education system quite young (after learning a skill) and started working my way up ladders in corporate world. Now despite some challenges along the way and stints of long term under/unemployment, i'm now in a position where I have a decent investment portfolio, learning how to trade cryptocurrency, make decent money at my 9-5 job that has prospects and also since beginning of the year i've been getting a frequent freelance jobs online. All income sources combined, I can comfortably make N400-500K and even above in a month. I'm also in my 20's, single, living at home, don't drink/smoke/gamble/have any vices, don't pay tithes.

Despite all this, I struggle with spending money. I would rather walk for one hour instead of spending N100 tp fare. When i'm hungry, I would force myself to wait until I get home before eating, even if it's N500 chicken republic refuel meal. I get invited for social events but I procastinate and start thinking about all the things I could save/invest the money with (which is where most of my money goes into) and end up staying home. I am so afraid of not having money it's affecting my sleep, which comes into my head whenever it comes to spending money.

For those who have gone through this, how did you overcome this problem? Advice from experienced heads would be appreciated. I'm even considering seeking counselling over this.

This is NOT normal, u are still young but let me tell u something Fear is a weapon of d devil, it crippled a financial giant like Job in d Bible, He confessed when he had issues that his fear has come upon him. That spirit of fear needs to go. Contact me if you need further counseling.

1 Like

Re: Gainfully Employed But Scared To Spend Money. by Perfecttouch(m): 6:55pm On Mar 12, 2021
Lol
Re: Gainfully Employed But Scared To Spend Money. by Tokskob2008: 6:56pm On Mar 12, 2021
Looking at it from one angle i would say you are just being frugal or whatever but then that you can't buy yourself food even when you have means to do so and will rather trek just to save #100 when you make close to 400k in a month Damn that's something else and not frugality at all.
Re: Gainfully Employed But Scared To Spend Money. by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 12, 2021
Re: Gainfully Employed But Scared To Spend Money. by illicit(m): 9:16am On Mar 13, 2021
Be my friend for two months....
You will see life from another perspective and your life will not remain d same
Re: Gainfully Employed But Scared To Spend Money. by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 13, 2021

dont see it as a burden rather
 see it as a gift even though you
 should try and be spending ⚫

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

COPYWRITING: Get A High Paying Client With These Simple Copywriting Tricks / Web Design Training On Whatsapp / $440 Million Worth Of Bitcoin Has Been Pushed By An Unknown Wale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.