Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,665 members, 7,955,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:58 AM

How I Started Learning Things Faster Than Usual In My Final Year - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How I Started Learning Things Faster Than Usual In My Final Year (294 Views)

I've Been Rusticated From The University In My Final Year. / Meet 10-year-old Sibahle Zwane Who Solves Maths Faster Than Calculator (photo) / 10 Carry Over In My Final Year. What Should I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Started Learning Things Faster Than Usual In My Final Year by uniprojectM1: 7:38am On Mar 17, 2021
As a year one student one of the challenges I faced was learning things faster. There are a whole lot of things that can limit your level of assimilation as a fresh student. Year one is usually full of running up and down doing course registration, screening and attendance to lecture. At the end of the day, you become drained and stressed which in turn affect your learning ability. Another thing that affected my learning speed was the issue of environment. There is this thing that has to do with new environment; it affect your body system and way of life. Environment can make or break you if you are not careful. I have seen lots of undergraduate projects on effect of environment on academic performance; all their findings seem to show that environment affects learning ability of students. Though some people are lucky they didn’t experience such because body system differs.
1.0 Teaching and learning
Teaching is a set of events, outside the learners which are designed to support internal process of learning. Teaching (Instruction) is outside the learner. Learning is internal to learners. You cannot motivate others if you are not self-motivated. Motives are not seen, but, Behaviors are seen. Is learning a motive or behavior? Learning is both a motive and behavior but only behavior is seen, learning is internal, performance is external.
Learning is about a change: the change brought about by developing a new skill, understanding a scientific law, changing an attitude. The change is not merely incidental or natural in the way that our appearance changes as we get older. Learning is a relatively permanent change, usually brought about intentionally. When we attend a course, search through a book, or read a discussion paper, we set out to learn! Other learning can take place without planning, for example by experience. Generally with all learning there is an element within us of wishing to remember and understand why something happens and to do it better next time.
2.0 Skills development
Skills development is generally used to refer to the productive capabilities acquired through all levels of learning and training, occurring in formal, non-formal, informal and on-the-job settings. It enables individuals to become fully and productively engaged in livelihoods, and to have the opportunity to adapt these capabilities to meet the changing demands and opportunities of economy and labour market. The acquisition of such capabilities depends on many factors, including a quality lifelong learning system and a supportive learning environment. The types of skills required for employment can be divided into:
Basic and foundation skills, which are acquired through the primary and secondary formal school system, or through non-formal and/or informal learning processes (e.g. active learning, oral expression, reading comprehension, written expression, ICT literacy, active listening). These are pre-requisites for acquiring further skills enhancing the prospect of sustainable employment.
Transferable skills, which include the abilities to learn and adapt, solve problems, communicate ideas effectively, think critically and creatively and the ability to manage self and others. These skills enable people to adapt to different work environments as well as improving their opportunities to career-building.
Technical and vocational skills, which are specialized skills, knowledge or know-how to perform specific duties or tasks, mainly in a professional environment. These include, but are not limited to, the traditional forms of technical and vocational education and training (TVET), skills acquired through the secondary level of the formal school system or through non-formal and/or informal learning processes.
Professional and personal skills, including individual attributes relevant to work such as honesty, integrity, reliability, work ethic, and judgement.
3.0 How I started learning things faster than usual in my final year
- Experience

Like they say “experience is the best teacher”; I was able to examine all the study approaches I have used from my year one to final year; compare my performance based on the method of study I used; then select the best study approach that works best for me.
-I came to realize my best study time
As simple as it may seen; study time play a significant role in your learning ability. Most people students especially those in year one do not know their best study time. They follow their fellow students to study when they are studying. At the end of the day the there will be variation in the rate of assimilation. Some people study best at night, some study better during the day while other study better at the early hours of the morning. In my year one I was affected by this. I usually follow my colleague to study when they are studying; but later on I came to realize that I study and understand better at night. So I changed my study time. When people are going home from the class; that is when I will be coming to the class to study.
-I understand now how to avoid distractions
Distraction is very bad in learning environment; as a student be mindful of distractions. The major source of distraction comes from peer group influence. When most of your friends are the types that do not have time for their studies; they will end up distracting you or even make become like them. Another form of distraction is noise from people studying in the same class or your studying environment. It is always advisable to look for a quiet environment when ever you want to study.
- I have a good study group
As a student a good study group will help boost your academic performance because of information and idea sharing among you. From your year one to your final year, you should be able to identify the good students in your class. Good student doesn’t mean student that have just good behaviour; good in terms of academic performance and dedication to their studies. Go close to those student, if possible make friends with them and study together. This will help you a whole lot.
4.0 My Final Thought
Every student have their challenges going in as a year one student; but with time they become use to it. There are things you can control as a student and some you just have to flow with. Thing like study time, study group and distraction can all be control if you so choose to but the nature of the environment is something you cannot control; all you need to do is to adapt to it.
Re: How I Started Learning Things Faster Than Usual In My Final Year by Mason9: 6:29pm On Aug 17, 2023
Whether you're going for a classic, modern, or eclectic kitchen theme, a white faucet can be the perfect finishing touch to elevate your culinary haven into a masterpiece of design. https://faucetspoint.com/best-white-kitchen-faucets/

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Upgrade My Microsoft Excel Skill / HELP!!! INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT / Any Advice For Stammerer Presenting For His Project Topic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.