Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK (844 Views)

What's The English Name Of This Fruit. / What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk / What Is The English Name For "Kpomor"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by blazepascal(m): 8:16pm On Mar 17, 2021
There are a few famous food and drinks we typically fed on that we likely may not recognise the English names as we're typically acquainted with the nearby names there are being known as through the dealers or buyers.

Some folks may recognise the English names of a number of those ingredients though, however I wager we used to the nearby names and likely if we inform the dealers of those ingredients or beverages the English call, he/she may not recognise what we're referring to.hbd

the correct word for GARRI is cassava granules” or cassava flake

stop calling it zobo the right word is hibiscus tea or Roselle plant tea

the English name for kuli kuli is peanut bars

the English word for suya is pork satay or pork kebab

stop calling it kunu the English name is gruel

akara is bean cake

actually its not pure water the right word is sachet water

the English name for ewedu is jute mallow

there is a fruit we normally call fruit if you can remember its actually tropical almond

stop calling it abalumo udara or cherry the right word is African star apple

stop calling it aki hausa the correct word is tiger nut

Igbo people its not cheleku the right word is black velvet tamarind

hope you 've been enlightened??
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by Nokio1: 8:40pm On Mar 17, 2021
just make mistake go and tell aboki that u want pork kebab....Oyo for u
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by Blakjewelry(m): 8:42pm On Mar 17, 2021
calling garri cassava flakes is an insult to general garri gcfn
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by pozehnani(f): 9:00pm On Mar 17, 2021
Blakjewelry:
calling garri cassava flakes is an insult to general garri gcfn

Lol... You guys will not cease to crack me up on here. grin.

1 Like

Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by pozehnani(f): 9:00pm On Mar 17, 2021
The only thing I have been seat or the real is that "fruit" the American Star apple. Nice one.

As for the others I'll continue calling them the names the local people who sell them know them by. I can't go and be wasting time telling the local market woman i want to buy peanut bar, hibiscus drink or cassava flakes. That would be creating language barrier in this age and time when people are trying to break dem barrier.

Thanks for the star apple though.

1 Like

Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:36pm On Mar 17, 2021
Beef kebab beef skewer beef dumplings wonton dumplings gyoza dumpling, beef lasagna

Beef satay

Lamb kofta

1 Like

Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by illicit(m): 9:37pm On Mar 17, 2021
Suya is not pork o....

Suya is usually made from beef

That fruit is not tropical almond it is pecan
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by blazepascal(m): 10:03pm On Mar 17, 2021
illicit:
Suya is not pork o....

get your facts right. you can browse the word tropical almond and thank me later
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by illicit(m): 10:08pm On Mar 17, 2021
blazepascal:
get your facts right. you can browse the word tropical almond and thank me later

Yeah just like u browsed the word suya

Do u even know what suya is?
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by heendrix(m): 1:08am On Mar 18, 2021
illicit:
Suya is not pork o....

Mumu have you seen how a Pecan looks like??
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by LajaLaba: 2:21am On Mar 18, 2021
blazepascal:
There are a few famous food and drinks we typically fed on that we likely may not recognise the English names as we're typically acquainted with the nearby names there are being known as through the dealers or buyers.

Some folks may recognise the English names of a number of those ingredients though, however I wager we used to the nearby names and likely if we inform the dealers of those ingredients or beverages the English call, he/she may not recognise what we're referring to.hbd

akara is bean cake

there is a fruit we normally call fruit if you can remember its actually tropical almond

Go and take your meds u sicko
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by mokolade21845: 5:50am On Mar 18, 2021
Suya is not pork o.... Suya is usually made from beefThat fruit is not tropical almond it is pecan
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by illicit(m): 10:50am On Mar 18, 2021
heendrix:

Mumu have you seen how a Pecan looks like??

Dopemu, Have u ate suya before?
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by heendrix(m): 10:56am On Mar 18, 2021
illicit:

Dopemu, Have u ate suya before?
Ode no o it's barbecue sauce I only tried eating ni
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by Ghengiskhan(m): 1:27pm On Mar 18, 2021
blazepascal:

akara is bean cake

Is kebab an English word ?
It's funny how we only try to copy part of the western culture that do us no good and leave the meaningful part out.
Suya is suya no where in Nigeria they use pork for suya
Kuli Kuli is Kuli Kuli
Zobo is zobo because that's what we choice to call it.
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by Akuchinyere(f): 8:38pm On Mar 20, 2021
blazepascal:

akara is bean cake

whats the english word for shawarma, sushi, pizza, spaghetti, nigerians will never accept d local names of their food deyll b looking for english versions.
dats hw i heard is its not egusi soup its melon soup , its not moi moi its beans cake.
y haven't d japanese looked for d english name of sushi, or d italians d english name of spaghetti n pizza or the middle easterners shawarma... mtchew
d only tin educative here is d fruits and oda tinz d world knws, but as for our local foods pls leave them wit their local names, english might be our lingua franca but its definitely not our mothers tongue
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by Akuchinyere(f): 8:43pm On Mar 20, 2021
Ghengiskhan:

Is kebab an English word ?
It's funny how we only try to copy part of the western culture that do us no good and leave the meaningful part out.
Suya is suya no where in Nigeria they use pork for suya
Kuli Kuli is Kuli Kuli
Zobo is zobo because that's what we choice to call it.

thank u i swear it pains me so much when i c tinz like dis, its no longer ewedu soup its jute wetin abi wetin drm dey tlk, its not akara its beans balls abi rolls...we love to copy alot.. worst still kebab is not English
Nigerians need to free them selves from inferiority complex and mental slavery
Re: Many People Probably DONT Know The English Names Of These FOOD/ DRINK by Darkseid(m): 9:13pm On Mar 20, 2021
blazepascal:

akara is bean cake

I go comot ya teeth just now, before I go inside cell...

(1) (Reply)

Guess How Much I Paid For This Bushmeat? / Why Do We Return Soda Bottles In Africa (photo) / Worst Food You Have Ever Cooked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.