Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,575 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent (18539 Views)

APC Senators All Smiles As They Pose With President Buhari / How APC Senators Were Welcomed To PDP After Defecting (Photos) / APC Senators May Unseat Saraki Today - The Guardian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by ugofulfilled(m): 2:47pm On Mar 18, 2021
festacman:
Globally, every Head of State and Commander-in-Chief reserves the right to appoint service chiefs that are loyal to him for the preservation of the government of the day and defence of national sovereignty.

Pres. Buhari may have disregarded federal character principle in his own appointment but having an independent body appoint service chiefs is fraught with danger of political instability.

Yes, Buhari has displayed irresponsible nepotism but by this bill, Senator Abaribe displayed dangerously pregnant mischief that looks like a well-orchestrated agenda.

Did you realize that we have such thing as Police Service Commission, National Judicial Council, etc? Why are you and the rest of the other legislative members who rejected the bill against the proposition of the Armed Forces Commission? This is by no means a chance to pick a verbal or digital war with you; I simply want us to engage constructively. Thank you.
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by tiredoflife(m): 2:50pm On Mar 18, 2021
festacman:
Globally, every Head of State and Commander-in-Chief reserves the right to appoint service chiefs that are loyal to him for the preservation of the government of the day and defence of national sovereignty.

Pres. Buhari may have disregarded federal character principle in his own appointment but having an independent body appoint service chiefs is fraught with danger of political instability.

Yes, Buhari has displayed irresponsible nepotism but by this bill, Senator Abaribe displayed dangerously pregnant mischief that looks like a well-orchestrated agenda.

People from my hood festac have been taught by the cosmopolitan of festac to live and share things equally
Yet u are saying this bill to put in place representative of each region is an agenda

It's a pity u are from festac
We are not like dis
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by 9jaRealist: 2:52pm On Mar 18, 2021
festacman:

Dude, you are correct about the first part...
But WRONG about the second (highlighted) part.

The service chiefs owe (and swear) an allegiance to the Constitution and to the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and NOT to the president personally nor to any administration or government. Their offices require them to act in the NATIONAL INTEREST, which is different from political, pecuniary, partisan, sectional, tribal or other such narrow interest. The military is NOT there to protect the president or his government, but Nigeria!

Our problem is that we do not quite understand the constitutional system that we are operating. For instance, Section 150 of the Constitution specifically provides for the appointment of the Attorney-General (the only cabinet member specifically listed in the Constitution) as the Chief Legal Officer OF THE FEDERATION, but instead they act as the government’s lawyer (or worse, in Malawi’s case, as the President’s lawyer).
>
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by festacman(m): 2:53pm On Mar 18, 2021
tiredoflife:

People from my hood festac have been taught by the cosmopolitan of festac to live and share things equally
Yet u are saying this bill to put in place representative of each region is an agenda

We are not like dis

I don't do 'we'. I don't do labels. I don't do herd stuff. I express my opinion. I expect you to express yours. Chikena!
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by Kingspin(m): 2:54pm On Mar 18, 2021
Olatomiwami:

Abaribe is just playing to the gallery always, want to b in the new for the wrong reason, service chiefs are prerogative of the President.
You need to know more.

Law don't make man.
Law are made by man.
It is for this reason Nigerians can agree on how we do our own thing by ourselves.

Before we had prime minister not any more.
Need to reflect on how best to move forward is not rigidity.
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by omonnakoda: 2:54pm On Mar 18, 2021
festacman:

Nobody is talking about appointing only people of one's ethnic group here. Buhari may have done it but it is wrong. Yes, a service could be disloyal to the person who appointed him, which earns him a sack and in extreme case, being accused of treason.

Look, all over the world, service chiefs function at the pleasure of the head of government. They report to him and take directives from him. It is a global convention and that's it.
Everybody is talking about appointing people of one's ethnic group.

Where have you been?

That is why there is all the kerfuffle at the Senate

That is exactly why the bill arose

The issue is not about whether they serve at the pleasure of the Head of Government but how to address the peculiarities of Nigeria
Most countries all over the World with a population over 50 million are homogeneous or dominated by one major ethic group and so that issue does not arise. There is no country , NONE !! in the world where you have 3 major ethnic groups as we do in Nigeria. without a clear dominant majority group.
So the issue of ethnic domination and federal character is more germane in Nigeria than anywhere else
Did the Head of the Burmese military serve at the pleasure of the Head of Government?
Was that the Case in Egypt with the guy who replaced Mubarak?

Did Abacha serve at the pleasure of Shonekan?
Do not make wild sweeping assertions about " the world" that are based on your limited knowledge

There is NO CONVENTION

Every country has its own peculiarities
When there is a military government the COUP PLOTTERS often have a say over who is appointed
That happened in Nigeria in 1975 when Gowon was overthrown and in 1976 when Murtala was killed.
Neither Murtala nor Obasanjo plotted coups and were PUT there by Coup plotters
They had little control over appointments into the Supreme military counci;l and that is why Babangida a Lt. Col was in it while his seniors were left out
The same thing happened in 1983 when Buhari became Head of State.
Babangida did not serve at his pleasure

1 Like

Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by samdaisi: 2:55pm On Mar 18, 2021
Please any bill that PDP failed to present for 16 years most especially during the GEL tenure South should 4get it as a matter of fact Buhari is still leaning from Jonathan ways of appointment because most of his appointment went to southeast
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by festacman(m): 2:56pm On Mar 18, 2021
ugofulfilled:

Did you realize that we have such thing as Police Service Commission, National Judicial Council, etc? Why are you and the rest of the other legislative members who rejected the bill against the proposition of the Armed Forces Commission? This is by no means a chance to pick a verbal or digital war with you; I simply want us to engage constructively. Thank you.

Police Service Commission doesn't appoint IGP. National Judicial Council doesn't appoint CJN. Read the constitution. Even in US, POTUS appoint service chiefs and intelligence chiefs. He appoints judges to Supreme court.
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by tiredoflife(m): 3:02pm On Mar 18, 2021
festacman:

I don't do 'we'. I don't do labels. I don't do herd stuff. I express my opinion. I expect you to express yours. Chikena!

So to u
Ur view made sense
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by festacman(m): 3:08pm On Mar 18, 2021
bilulu:

When Trump was misbehaving as the sitting president did you hear the military, FBI or police issuing threats to citizens or trying to guard his regime as is being done in Nigeria? Comparing Nigeria sometimes to other climes doesn't make sense because those places are way better with abiding with law.... that being said, how should the president be checked in the future to avoid a repeat of Buhari's nepotism

Going to court to seek interpretation of Federal Character principle as contained on the constitution vis-a-vis vital appointments.

Through the ballot box to remove the nepotistic president but if he still has the majority of the electorate on his side, then no juice.

The NASS can also threaten to withdraw vital approvals to enforce federal character.
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by festacman(m): 3:10pm On Mar 18, 2021
tiredoflife:

So to u
Ur view made sense

Yes.
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by 9jaRealist: 3:12pm On Mar 18, 2021
tiredoflife:

We are not like dis

The WORST thing that Nigeria can do is to change the law (or otherwise institutionalize a process) to make it mandatory for the service chiefs to effectively “represent” regions or ethnic groups rather than being based primarily or principally on professional considerations. If Nigeria ever mandates such a requirement, service chiefs will become political (rather than professional) officers.

Unfortunately, Nigeria has already effectively done so with (for example) the Supreme Court where nominated justices are listed together with their geopolitical zones, as if they are going there to represent geopolitical zones, resulting in a parade of frankly mediocre and intellectually unremarkable Justices of the Supreme Court over the past few years (or even decades).

There is already a check and balance on the appointment of service chiefs, which is CONFIRMATION by the National Assembly.

>
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by festacman(m): 3:12pm On Mar 18, 2021
tiredoflife:

So to u
Ur view made sense

Yes, it does.

What of you, do you think your view made sense?
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by samwillyco1(m): 3:16pm On Mar 18, 2021
NIGERIA will never get better with the kind of stupid senators, coming out from one side of the country
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by PeachtreeReside(f): 3:19pm On Mar 18, 2021
If Senator Abaribipe is my man!!!!@

Let him contest for Presidency cos he is a democrat.

If Trump had his appointees loayal to him, they would regularize his irregularities.

What we lack is loyalty to the country and constitution of Nigeria.

The precedence Buhari has set can obly be checkated by such a bill since Bubu tribalism has no comparison.

Despite the North's hijacking of juicy positions they are not the best to lead in this century we are in.

In 1700s , this tactic worked..
.Not working in 2021.
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by Amumaigwe: 3:52pm On Mar 18, 2021
festacman:

Globally, people get into offices through merit. Nigeria's is through quota system and federal character. The same people that smuggled them into our laws turn around and criticize it whenever it suits them. Such shameful.
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by Enice(m): 4:11pm On Mar 18, 2021
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by garfield1: 4:20pm On Mar 18, 2021
TechSkill:
you APC apologist will always find a way to justify rubbish.

It will come back to haunt you sha. Worry not

Guy,the bill does not make sense.has buhari contravened federal character in appointing the service chiefs
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by Tupaq: 4:30pm On Mar 18, 2021
"Mr. Buhari is perceived as a highly sectional leader whose appointment does not ordinarily reflect the diversity of the Nigerian multi-ethnic and multi- religious standing"

We have the stage of perceiving. Its now a reality!
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by Tupaq: 4:31pm On Mar 18, 2021
"Mr. Buhari is perceived as a highly sectional leader whose appointment does not ordinarily reflect the diversity of the Nigerian multi-ethnic and multi- religious standing"

Buhari has gone beyond perceiving. Its now a frank reality!
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by Enice(m): 4:32pm On Mar 18, 2021
can anybody please give one good example of where Buhari went against the federal character commission act.
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by Gobdddd(m): 4:35pm On Mar 18, 2021
Reason nothing will ever get better in Nigeria
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 4:36pm On Mar 18, 2021
Enice:
[s]Abaribe should go and present his stupidity bill to IPOB where one man's words is law. idiot[/s]
I really don't expect any intelligence from kpomo men

1 Like 1 Share

Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by kenex4ever(m): 4:40pm On Mar 18, 2021
Springboot:
Abaribe is mad! Tell me which country has such useless bill, service chiefs are always appointed by the commander in chief which is the president. Why didn't he bring it up during the 16years of pdp
Because they were not sectional leaders

1 Like

Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by Springboot: 4:41pm On Mar 18, 2021
kenex4ever:
Because they were not sectional leaders

So because of buhari that has less than 2 years to be kicked out of the office, we will spend billions establishing one useless commission.
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 5:12pm On Mar 18, 2021
Enice:
my father is stupid, my hopeless mother is stupid.. my entire lineage and community is stupid, we need psychiatric help badly
Nairaland is too slow these days to bother replying people like you. Go to church for solutions to your myriad problems sir
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by nwabueze1999(m): 5:30pm On Mar 18, 2021
Topmaike007:
mention the country in this whole wide world that it's not her president that appoint service chief and I will support you in castigating all the apc senators
egypt
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by Polyglot7pointO: 5:35pm On Mar 18, 2021
MASTAkiLLAh:

https://www.gazettengr.com/apc-senators-block-bill-to-make-appointment-of-service-chiefs-independent/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost
well the northern region has more senators than any other region they always make the rest insignificant in decision making an abnormality that has been tolerated for so long

1 Like 1 Share

Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by sweetgala(m): 5:36pm On Mar 18, 2021
Millimann:
Any bill that will bring about transparency ad equity, they will block it.

It's a daft bill with poor intent, the president is the C/C of the armed forces and should always retain the prerogative to select senior officers who qualify for the top job, we already have more than enough checkmates and public service rules that guide who and for how long a military officer can serve, rather Abaribe is only interested in the sharing of the national cake along ethnic grouping.

Exposing senior appointments to a military service commission would expose what is an already sensitive office to politics, criticize the previous military chiefs all you care to do but they have been the least political we've seen yet since 1999.

Buhari would come and go the NASS should seek to pass bills that would stand the test of time.
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by Polyglot7pointO: 5:39pm On Mar 18, 2021
ugofulfilled:

bro may God help u to live well in diz life u deserve more than this skewed nation can offer.. all over the world institutions are monitored so they can never be judge , prosecutors and juries

In Ireland we have the GSOC every bullet is accounted for if fired.. the GSOC investigates independently even if u threaten a policeman that u will report to
The GSOC they shiver like lily leaves
Re: APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent by omonnakoda: 5:55pm On Mar 18, 2021
sweetgala:

It's a daft bill with poor intent, the president is the C/C of the armed forces and should always retain the prerogative to select senior officers who qualify for the top job, .

Why?

The concept of commander in Chief etc and the way it operates in Nigeria is a throwback to military government .

It was not written on the tablets that Moses brought down from Mount Sinai

Rather than call it "daft" Explain why that is the ONLY way of doing things?

Already our constitution allows the National Assembly to approve presidential nominees but we see impunity in cases such as Magu and now with the IG of police.

The core issue is unity taking into account the peculiarities of Nigeria

The current appointments where virtually every important body licensed to carry firearms is headed by a Northern Muslim cannot be in the interest of our national unity Army,Police, DSS, Immigration, Custom, Civil Defence, NDLEA, DSS , EFCC,Prison
Imagine if a Southern President does the same

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Twitter Ban: SERAP, 176 Nigerians Drag Buhari To ECOWAS Court / Osinbajo Inspects Gamji Water Project (Photos) / Gender Inequality In Nigerian Politics (1999 Vs 2015 Vs 2019)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.