Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,498 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

Complete Guide On Writing Lesson Plan In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Complete Guide On Writing Lesson Plan In Nigeria (3208 Views)

How To Prepare A Lesson Plan / What Is The Difference Between Lesson Note And Lesson Plan? / Differentiate Between Lesson Plan And Lesson Note (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Complete Guide On Writing Lesson Plan In Nigeria by EduPodia(m): 4:09pm On Mar 19, 2021
Are you looking for how to write lesson plan for secondary school? If you are, then this article, “Complete Guide on Writing Lesson Plan in Nigeria”, is for you.

In this write-up, I have taken the time to explain everything you need to know about lesson planning in teaching.

COMPLETE GUIDE ON WRITING LESSON PLAN IN NIGERIA
This article, complete guide on writing lesson plan in Nigeria, covers the following topics: what is lesson plan, why is lesson planning important, elements of a lesson plan, lesson planning steps and example of lesson plan or sample of lesson plan.

WHAT IS LESSON PLAN?
A lesson plan is a teacher’s detailed guide for facilitating a lesson. How detailed the plan is depends on the preference of the teacher, the subject being covered and the need and or curiosity of the students.

Typically, a lesson plan includes the basic objective of the lesson (what the students need to learn), a collection of teaching and learning activities (how the teacher plan to achieve the goal, his method of delivery and procedure) and assessment methods (ways to measure if the objective of the lesson was achieved or not).

Teaching or lesson plan is therefore the teacher’s guide detailing what the students need to learn, how it will be taught, and how learning will be measured. A good lesson plan helps the teacher to be more effective in the classroom.

WHY IS LESSON PLANNING IMPORTANT?
If you have been teaching for some time now, you will no doubt vouch for the importance of a lesson plan. Nothing can be so frustrating like entering a class without a plan, it’s like finding yourself in a new city without a guide.

Hence this article, “Complete Guide on Writing Lesson Plan in Nigeria” will not be complete if I fail to mention why lesson plans are important.

Here are seven reasons why a lesson plan is very important.

1. Guidance:
A good lesson plan helps the teacher answer the two most important questions; what to teach and how to teach.

2. Builds the confidence in Teachers:
A good lesson plan apart from helping the teacher work towards definite goal helps build self-confidence. You would be up-to-date with new and current teaching styles that are in vogue, thus helping you to adhere to best teaching practices that deliver effective teaching. You will come to be known as a well-informed, highly knowledgeable and a confident teacher.

3. Time Management:
A step-by-step lesson plan helps the teacher to cover the entire lesson within the limited time frame. With a lesson plan, you will be able to teach with a better sense of direction and absolute control.

4. Avoid Repetition:
With the help of a lesson plan, a teacher will mindful of the level and previous knowledge of the students. This helps to avoid repeating the lesson taught earlier. It also helps to eliminate casual omissions especially as students go from one term to another.

5. Create Anticipatory Mood for Students:
With a lesson plan, a teacher will be able to ask proper and important questions that create anticipatory mood for the students in the classroom. This questioning style help prepare the students for what is coming up next. This will also engage the students in communication and in retaining the lesson, especially when you engage them in a focused discussion about a particular topic.

6. Adequate preparation:
No matter how vast you are in a topic, adequate preparation is important. As lesson plan make teachers to be clear about what to teach and how to teach, it helps in preparing for a class even the more. The teacher can research the topic, gather more information and come up with relevant teaching aids and instructional materials to share with the students.

7. Evaluation:
Lesson plan helps the teacher compare his teaching with set objectives. Evaluation helps the teacher ensure that the students learn what they are supposed to learn.

NB: Looking for already made lesson notes, follow this link: https://edupodia.com/downloads/

ELEMENTS OF A LESSON PLAN
There are several lesson plan formats to choose from, and that is great. No matter the format you adopt, it is important to ensure it has the five elements that makes a good lesson plan. These five elements are needed to ensure a successful learning experience.

The five elements of a lesson plan are: linking prior knowledge, engaging and educating, active learning, reflecting and extending learning.

(1) Linking Prior Knowledge: This is where the teacher makes connection with students’ previous knowledge to help the students remember something they already learnt so as to make them feel comfortable learning something new.

(2) Engaging and Educating: Here the teacher introduces new information to engage and educate the students. The use of direct instructions, modeling and concrete examples are highly essential.

(3) Active learning: This is the part where the teacher actively engage the students in a pre-planned activity. The teacher can divide the students into groups to ensure the activity is engaging and interactive.

(4) Reflecting: It is very important to give the students the opportunity to reflect over what they have learnt and either share it orally or by writing.

(5) Extending learning: This is learning beyond the four walls of the classroom. Students must be given opportunity to see how the lesson applies to real world by linking knowledge with future learning.

When these five elements of a lesson plan are included in a lesson, it becomes easy to achieve a successful learning experience for all the students.

NB: Looking for already made lesson notes, follow this link: https://edupodia.com/downloads/

LESSON PLANNING STEPS
The next thing we shall look at in this complete guide on writing lesson plan in Nigeria is the six lesson planning steps.

The six lesson planning steps are:

1. Identify the learning objectives.
Effective teaching goes beyond exposing the students to topics. You must set measurable objectives – what the students will know and be able to do after the learning experience.

2. Plan the specific learning activities.
This should be related to the learning objectives of the lesson.

This is where to plan the activities the students will have to engage in order to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to demonstrate effective learning.

3. Plan to assess the students’ understanding.
Through planned oral questions, written test, assignments, etc., you can assess the students’ understanding. Planned assessment help you to know whether your students are learning.

4. Plan to sequence the lesson in an engaging and meaningful manner.
Sequence the lesson to gain the students’ attention, introduced the learning objectives, stimulate the students to recall previous knowledge, present the new topic, provide guidance and allow the students to apply knowledge and skills learnt, provide feedback, assess performance and enhance retention and transfer of knowledge.

5. Create a realistic timeline.
To achieve the learning objectives, you must create a realistic timeline.

6. Plan for a lesson closure.
This is where to summarize, review and demonstrate their understanding of major points.

EXAMPLE OF LESSON PLAN (SAMPLE OF LESSON PLAN)

Here are two examples or samples of lesson plan. Follow this link to download the samples for free => https://edupodia.com/complete-guide-on-writing-lesson-plan-in-nigeria/

Re: Complete Guide On Writing Lesson Plan In Nigeria by toyem12(f): 6:27am On Jan 19, 2022
JSS2 ENGLISH STUDIES LESSON PLAN
WEEK: 1 DATE: CLASS: JSS 2______
SUBJECT: ENGLISH STUDIES_______________________
LESSON TITLE: _Revision of Diphthongs
SUBTITLE (IF ANY):
PERIOD: 1 DURATION: 40 Minutes___________________
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: By the end of the lesson, the students should be able to; _
i. review last term's examination;
ii. describe diphthongs;
iii. produce diphthongs;
iv. read words and sentences with diphthongs correctly.
KEY VOCABULARY WORDS: diphthongs, vowel, sound etc
RESOURCES & MATERIALS: NOSEC Book 2, New Concept English for Junior Secondary Schools Book 2 by F. Ademola et al., charts
BUILDING BACKROUND/CONNECTION TO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE: The students are familiar with vowel sounds.
CONTENT
TOPIC: DIPHTHONGS
CONTENT:
Diphthong is a Greek word which means “double sound”. The articulation of diphthongs involves a glide from one vowel quality to the other. A diphthong is therefore a vowel which changes its quality in the process of its articulation.
/ei/ e.g. gate, cake, take, place, date, gauge etc.
/əᴜ/ e.g. home, go, owl, own, etc
/ai/ e.g. buy, five, rice, write, kite, fry, price etc.
/au/ e.g. how, cloud, out, house, blouse, browse etc.
/ oi / e.g. boy, joy, toy, oil, toil coin, boil etc .
/ iə / e.g. here, ear, idea, fear, beer ,rear etc.
/ eə / e.g. air, their, where, hair, fair etc
/ᴜә/ e.g. during, pure, sure, tour…

STRATEGIES & ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities:
The teacher presents the lesson through the following activities:
Activity 1: The teacher revises the previous topic.
Activity 2: The teacher introduces the new topic.
Activity 3: The teacher explains the topic and gives relevant examples
Activity 4: The teacher welcomes students’ examples and contribution.

Students’ Activities:
Activity 1: Students, a class, take part in quiz and discuss past questions.
Activity 2: Each small group brainstorms on diphthongs.
Activity 3: Students pair up to listen to speech models, repeat sounds and create dialogues.
Activity 4: The whole class reads tongue twisters.

ASSESSMENT (EVALUATION):
i. review last term's examination;
ii. describe diphthongs;
iii. produce diphthongs;
iv. read words and sentences with diphthongs correctly.
WRAP UP (CONCLUSION)
The teacher wraps up and concludes the lesson using web summary method and correct any mistake observed during the assessment.
ASSIGNMENT:
Indicate the diphthong used in the following words
e.g. Eye - /ai/
i. coat –
ii. spy –
iii. point -
iv. tape -
v. tour –
HOD/VP’S COMMENTS & ENDORSEMENT:

JSS2 ENGLISH STUDIES LESSON PLAN
WEEK: 1 DATE: CLASS: JSS 2______
SUBJECT: ENGLISH STUDIES_______________________
LESSON TITLE: _Reported Speech
SUBTITLE (IF ANY):
PERIOD: 2 DURATION: 40 Minutes___________________
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: By the end of the lesson, the students should be able to; _
i)describe reported speech(statements)
(ii)change from free speech to direct speech and indirect speech(statement);
(iii)change from indirect speech to direct speech(statement).

KEY VOCABULARY WORDS: speech, reported, statement etc
RESOURCES & MATERIALS: NOSEC Book 2, New Concept English for Junior Secondary Schools Book 2 by F. Ademola et al., charts
BUILDING BACKROUND/CONNECTION TO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE: The students are familiar with reported speech.
CONTENT
Whenever you report what someone has said you do not use the exact words of the original speaker.
Example: Bukola said that she was very happy about my success.

Examples of the main changes in tense:
Direct Speech Reported Speech
Simple Present
He said: “I am happy” Simple Past
He said that he was happy
Present Progressive
He said: “I‘m looking for my apple” Past Progressive
He said that he was looking for his apple
Simple Past
He said: “I worked as UAC last year” Past Perfect Simple
He said that he had worked at UAC the previous year.
Present Perfect
He said: ” I‘ve lived here for a long time “ Past Perfect
He said that he had lived there for a long time
Past Perfect
He said: “They had finished the work when I arrived“ Past Perfect
He said that they had finished the work when he had arrived“
Past Progressive
He said: “I was playing chess when the accident occurred“ Past Perfect Progressive
He said that he had been playing chess when the accident had occurred
Present Perfect Progressive
He said:”I have been watching movie for two hours.” Past Perfect Progressive
He said that he had been watching movie for two hours
Past Perfect Progressive
He said: “I had been reading a newspaper when the light went off“ Past Perfect Progressive
He said that he had been reading a newspaper when the light had gone off
Future Simple (will+verb)
He said: “I will open the door.” Conditional (would+verb)
He said that he would open the door.
Conditional (would+verb)
He said: “I would buy Camry Muscle if I were rich” Conditional (would+verb)
He said that he would buy Camry Muscle if he had been rich”

STRATEGIES & ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities:
The teacher presents the lesson through the following activities:
Activity 1: The teacher revises the previous topic.
Activity 2: The teacher introduces the new topic.
Activity 3: The teacher explains the topic and gives relevant examples
Activity 4: The teacher welcomes students’ examples and contribution.

Students’ Activities:
Activity 1: Students, as a class, discuss direct and indirect speech in statements.
Activity 2: Students, in small groups, look for examples of free/direct/ indirect statements from the recommended Literature texts.
Activity 3: The first group writes the statements in tree speech; the second group writes the statements in direct speech; and the third group writes the statements in indirect speech.
Activity 4: Students copy the note.

ASSESSMENT (EVALUATION):
i)describe reported speech(statements)
(ii)change from free speech to direct speech and indirect speech(statement);
(iii)change from indirect speech to direct speech(statement).

WRAP UP (CONCLUSION)
The teacher wraps up and concludes the lesson using web summary method and correct any mistake observed during the assessment.
ASSIGNMENT:
Change the sentences into indirect speech.
1. My brother said, “Nigeria got freedom in 1960”
2. Our teacher said, “Yakubu built the museum”.
3. I love watching films, “Amaka said to me”
4. “I prefer hot coffee” my friend said.
5. My father said, “Honesty is the best policy”
HOD/VP’S COMMENTS & ENDORSEMENT:

If you would love to get a soft copy of lesson plan, kindly chat me up via WhatsApp

(1) (Reply)

Why Is "history" Not Included In The Secondary School Curriculum / Project Materials And Topics For Marketing / Maths111 & Maths121 For Unn First Year Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.