Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,772 members, 7,831,484 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Smokers Diet - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Smokers Diet (99 Views)

Health Risks Of Passive Smokers / Ensure Shisha Smokers Are Arrested, FG Tells Police / Thousands Of Smokers Celebrates Annual Holiday Of Marijuana In The U.S.(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Smokers Diet by johnnie90: 8:29am On Mar 20, 2021
SMOKERS DIET

The three most common questions smokers ask about diet and smoking are: (1) Will a diet help me stop smoking? (2) If I smoke, what do I eat? (3) If I left, what kind of diet should I follow to avoid gaining weight?

(1) Will A DIET HELP YOU Stop SMOKING?

No diet or eating plan, no matter how safe, will compensate for the 850+ chemicals found in cigarette smoke, many of which are carcinogenic. If you smoke 20 cigarettes a day, the chance of heart disease is doubled, and you're five times more likely to have a stroke than if you don't smoke. You are five times more likely to die if you smoke 40 cigarettes a day.

So, before we even discuss what kind of diet is better for smokers, my first piece of advice is to stop smoking right now!

(2) IF I SMOKE, WHAT Do I EAT?

Anyone who smokes needs to pay attention to their diet nutrition on a regular basis. The damage to the body's cardiovascular and respiratory systems necessitates a continuous supply of additional nutrients. Because of the elevated risk of hypertension, atherosclerosis, emphysema, and a number of cancers, even though you just smoke 5 cigarettes per day, you have increased dietary needs. As previously mentioned, a balanced diet will not eliminate these illnesses, but it can help to postpone their occurrence.

AN INCREASE IN THE Need FOR ANTIOXIDANTS

Tobacco smoke allows the body to create more free radicals, which cause cancer, which necessitates the use of defensive antioxidants to neutralize them. Vitamin C and vitamin E are the most important antioxidant vitamins (which works best in combination with the mineral selenium). Antioxidants are abundant in phytochemicals such as bioflavonoids and carotenoids (e.g. beta-carotene).

HOW TO GET MORE ANTIOXIDANTS IN YOUR DIET

Use the following guidelines as a starting point for your diet.

– Include 3-5 servings of dark green, dark red, orange, or yellow vegetables in your daily diet.
– Consume 3-5 servings of red, yellow, orange, or green fruits per day.
– Swap out your coffee for a cup of tea, preferably green tea.
– 2 tsp wheatgerm oil (high in vitamin E) and 6 Brazil nuts per day (selenium).

[Note: 1 medium fruit, or 1/2 cup chopped, equals 1 serving]

VITAMIN C SUPPLEMENTATION IS ESPECIALLY Needed.

One cigarette is thought to deplete the body of 25 milligrams of vitamin C. As a result, all smokers have a much higher need for this antioxidant-rich vitamin just to keep their blood levels at a low.

VITAMIN C INGREDIENTS TO Use IN YOUR DIET

Blackcurrants, papaya, guava, cantaloupe, elderberries, kiwi fruit, mango, oranges, and strawberries are examples of fruits.

Cranberry, grapefruit, lemon, and orange juices are examples of fruit juices.

Red and green peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, and tomatoes are examples of vegetables.

CAROTENOIDS WITH Defense

Plant pigments known as carotenoids. Both carotenoids are antioxidants, with beta-carotene being the most well-known. Green plants, such as spinach, as well as orange and yellow plants, such as carrots, sweet potatoes, and melons, produce it. Betacarotene appears to suppress cancer symptoms when ingested in foods rather than supplements, according to clinical trials.

BRASSICAS WITH Defense

According to study, tobacco smokers who consume more brassicas have a lower risk of cancer (eg. breast, colorectal, lung, pancreatic, prostate and stomach). Since free radicals cause both of these cancers, brassicas can also help to avoid other problems caused by free radical damage that are accelerated by smoking, such as cataracts, emphysema, asthma, and age spots.

Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage (all varieties), cauliflower, cress, horseradish, kale, kohlrabi, mustard, radish, swede, turnip, and watercress are examples of brassicas.

ADDITIONAL SMOKER DIET Recommendations

Reduce your overall fat intake. Simultaneously, reduce the intake of saturated and trans-fatty acids. Consume omega-3-rich fatty fish on a daily basis (eg. salmon, mackerel, sardines).

Consume a variety of balanced carbohydrates. Choose whole grains such as peas, brown rice, and wholewheat pasta instead of processed white flour carbs. Additionally, use foods that are high in soluble fiber (eg. apples, oat bran).

Fish, lean chicken/turkey, or egg whites are both good sources of low-fat protein. Limited quantities of lean red meat, as well as daily portions of soy foods (such as soybeans) and other vegetable protein, should be included in your diet.

(1) (Reply)

What You Need Know: Your Seminal Vesiculitis May Be Caused By Prostatitis / World Water Day: Over 60m Nigerians Risk Water-related Diseases - Report Reveals / COVID-19 VACCINE FEARS: Despite Clearance, Monitor Vaccinated Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.