Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,224 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Covid: From Boom To Bust - Why Lockdown Hasn't Led To More Babies - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Covid: From Boom To Bust - Why Lockdown Hasn't Led To More Babies (525 Views)

My Husband Hasn't Touched Me For More Than A Year / If You Are Struggling So Hard And Money Hasn't Come, Get Married / What Led To The Greatest Flogging You Received As A Kid?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Covid: From Boom To Bust - Why Lockdown Hasn't Led To More Babies by CovidVaccine: 4:30pm On Mar 20, 2021
Covid: From boom to bust - why lockdown hasn't led to more babies

For those who thought that lockdown would leave couples with little else to do than procreate, there was a surprise - not a baby boom but a baby bust. Research shows that the US is facing the biggest slump in births in a century and in parts of Europe the decline is even steeper.

When Frederike moved in with her parents to care for an elderly relative at the beginning of the pandemic she thought of it as a gift, a chance to spend time with her family.

But a few months in, the 33-year-old from Germany started to feel a deep sense of loss.

Frederike is single and realised that the pandemic was robbing her of the chance to meet someone and start a family.

"Time feels really precious at the moment and my life has been put on hold," she says.

She tried online dating but going on walks in winter in sub-zero temperatures doesn't encourage romance.

Now, when she's feeling low the same thought swirls obsessively inside her head: "When this is over I'm going to be infertile.

"I'm sitting indoors in the years when I can have a child."

For those who study population the baby bust was not a revelation.

"Having seen how bad the pandemic was I'm not surprised," says Philip N Cohen, professor of sociology at the University of Maryland. "But it is still just shocking to see something like this happen in real time."

In June last year economists at the Brookings Institute in the United States estimated that US births would fall by 300,000 to half a million babies. At the same time a survey of fertility plans in Europe showed 50% of people in Germany and France who had planned to have a child in 2020 were going to postpone it. In Italy 37% said they had abandoned the idea altogether. A US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report indicates an 8% drop in births in the month of December.

https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-56415248?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

Midwives and doctors in the house, Is there baby boom in Nigeria?
Re: Covid: From Boom To Bust - Why Lockdown Hasn't Led To More Babies by KanwuliaExtra: 9:53pm On Mar 20, 2021
With people dying. . . No time for 'Lock Down Romance' o!
Efrybarry face im corner abeg.

Sex during COVID-19 na like drinking tea without milk and sugar.
No "sucking or licking"? wink

Not conducive for 'ejackulation' and 'lubricantation'.

Pikin no go gree germinate under such sakunnstanziz na. angry

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? / Watch How Sunday Igboho Was Arrested & paraded In Cotonou. He Predicted it / Paul Adewusi Adeyemi Is Gone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.