Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? (524 Views)

At 36, I Still Stay With My Parents And I Feel Not bad about it. / US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex / Why Aren't Today's Marriages Lasting Like Those Of Our Parents And Forefathers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by andyblinks05: 6:18pm On Jul 07, 2021
As the topic says, have you ever disobey your parents and you wish you did. I'm talking about big decision like marriage, career, projects etc

When you disobey your parents on an issue it seems they will kinda want you to fail so that they will say "I warned you" (African parents)

Share your experience

Lalasticala

Mynd44

I need opinions please

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by vickydankal(f): 6:23pm On Jul 07, 2021
Many times yes.
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by Bola146(f): 6:28pm On Jul 07, 2021
Yes
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by Karleb(m): 10:01pm On Jul 07, 2021
Since you asked.

My mother is my favorite but she's the reason I stayed home for close to 3 years before gaining admission.

Since then, I don't take her advice on career and education. I just do my thing, if it fails, it fails. If it doesn't, then fine.
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by The5DME(m): 10:04pm On Jul 07, 2021
Many a times.
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by andyblinks05: 10:38pm On Jul 07, 2021
vickydankal:
Many times yes.
Share with us
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by andyblinks05: 10:38pm On Jul 07, 2021
Bola146:
Yes
Share with us
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by andyblinks05: 10:41pm On Jul 07, 2021
Karleb:
Since you asked.

My mother is my favorite but she's the reason I stayed home for close to 3 years before gaining admission.

Since then, I don't take her advice on career and education. I just do my thing, if it fails, it fails. If it doesn't, then fine.

Sometimes they act like their decision are the utmost base on a saying that what an elder sees while sitting a child cannot see even if he climbs a tree.
But they forget that whatever decision the take is base on the human mind with is connected to the way the think at that moment
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 07, 2021
Never disobeyed my dad but my mom ehn,that one is constant and few times I don't regret it
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by andyblinks05: 10:42pm On Jul 07, 2021
Rozcol:
Never disobeyed my dad but my mom ehn,that one is constant and few times I don't regret it
Especially mothers na dem dey do as if the know every every
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 07, 2021
andyblinks05:

Especially mothers na dem dey do as if the know every every
My mom always want me to keep shut on everything and its not my way to be keeping shut at things no matter how hard I try and most times I'm usually glad that I didn't keep shut.She's too gentle for my liking.
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by Karleb(m): 1:55am On Jul 08, 2021
Rozcol:
My mom always want me to keep shut on everything and its not my way to be keeping shut at things no matter how hard I try and most times I'm usually glad that I didn't keep shut.She's too gentle for my liking.

cheesy

My own mother gets scared on my behalf, whereas, she takes risk from time to time.

I once wanted to involve the police in a case between myself and one influential fellow in my community, I asked her for advice, she said I should let it go. I went behind her back and involved the police and got my result.

There and then, I was a proud disobedient child. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by Dailyparrot: 5:43am On Jul 08, 2021
It happens.

In fact, an adult child that says yes to every opinion of the parents will live to regret it in the future.

One of the things that makes you an adult is ability to take decisions that affect your life and dawn the consequences.

My sister got married and while waiting to complete the process of the marriage rites, changed her mind not to proceed with the marriage. All efforts by my mother to stop her from leaving the marriage failed and today, she never regretted leaving. My mother's utmost interest at that time was to see her daughter married and to avoid gossips from people.

When our second son made money, he wanted to demolish our old house and build a new one but my mother asked him to start building his own directly beside our old house instead of demolishing and building in the same spot.

My mother's thought was that she didn't want my brother to finish building the house only for him not to have money again to build his own house elsewhere which will cause problems between him and our first son since the land traditionally belongs to the first son by birth (only if my mother can see the future).

My mother regretted that decision up till her death because our second son built his house beside our old house and continued to be richer and richer. He now refused to rebuild the old house he wanted to demolish and before you know it, he got married to a wicked woman.

The rest is history as he rather keeps building in several other places. Over 15 years after, that our old house is still there and our first son does not have what it takes to rebuild it.

Personally, my mother allowed me to take any decisions that I wanted in life.

So YES! Parent's opinion can be rebuffed and it will still be the best decision ever.

On a similar case, my sister advised me not to take up my admission because I applied for Economics and was given Economics Education to study. Rejecting her advice and proceeding with the admission was the best decision I took.

She was concerned about my future earnings and potential as a classroom teacher. Today I earn 5X more than she does from her federal government job.

It is not only parents but elder siblings, pastors, Imams, and people we hold with high respect. Their opinions and decisions especially when it affects an irreversible part of life should be researched and scrutinized before accepting it.

They’re humans just like you and make decisions based on sentiments.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by Hathor5(f): 5:50am On Jul 08, 2021
Dailyparrot:
It happens.

In fact, an adult child that says yes to every opinion of the parents will live to regret it in the future.

One of the things that makes you an adult is ability to take risks and dawn the consequences.

My sister got married and while waiting to complete the process of the marriage rights, she changed her mind not to proceed with the marriage. All efforts by my mother to stop her from leaving the marriage failed and today, she never regretted leaving. My mother's utmost interest at that time was to see how daughter married and to avoid gossip from people.

When our second son made money, he wanted to demolish our old house and build a new one but my mother asked him to start building his own directly beside our old house instead of demolishing it and building in the same spot.

My mother's thought was that she didn't want my brother to finish building the house only for him not to have money again to build his own elsewhere which will cause problems between him and our first son since the land traditionally belongs to the first son by birth.

My mother regretted that decision up till her death because our second son built his house beside our old house and continued to be richer and richer. He now refused to rebuild the old house he wanted to demolish and before you know it, he got married to a wicked woman.

The rest is history. Over 15 years after, that our old house is still there and our first son does not have what it takes to rebuild it.

Personally, my mother allowed me to take any decisions that I wanted in life.

So YES! mother's opinion can be rebuffed and it will still be the best decision ever.

On a similar case, my sister advised me not to take up my admission because I applied for Economics and was given Economics Education to study. Rejecting her advice and proceeding with the admission was the best decision that I took.

She was concerned about my future earnings and potential as a classroom teacher. Today I earn 5X more than she does from her federal government job.

It is not only parents but elder siblings, pastors, Imams, and people we hold with high respect. There opinions and decisions especially when it affects an irreversible part of life should be researched and scrutinized before accepting it.

They’re humans just like you and make decisions based on sentiments.

Very true.

May we have the wisdom to distinguish good from bad advice and make the right decisions and if not learn from our mistakes.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by Hathor5(f): 5:53am On Jul 08, 2021
I didn't listen to my parents' suggestion with regards to what course to study. I did what I wanted and it was the best decision of my life. Today they are happy with my decision too. cool
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by Dailyparrot: 5:59am On Jul 08, 2021
Hathor5:

Very true.

May we have the wisdom to distinguish good from bad advice and make the right decisions and if not learn from our mistakes.

Right!

It is important to note also that some advice from parents may be based on their own personal interests and limited knowledge.

There have been cases where parents push their child to marry based on financial interests and connections.

Same with course of study. Maybe, just the bragging right of the course that their child is studying.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by Bola146(f): 6:40am On Jul 08, 2021
andyblinks05:

Share with us

My father said I shouldn't have any relationship with a guy then ( Ibadan guy) I ignored his warnings and went ahead, it was almost two years, it ended up in tears grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Disobey Your Parents And You Wish You Did? by Lamanii22(f): 9:13pm On Jul 08, 2021
So many times.... But my mom is always right in the end.... My mom is just always right in everything..... Sometimes I wonder if she's got some super powers or something

(1) (Reply)

Watch How Sunday Igboho Was Arrested & paraded In Cotonou. He Predicted it / What's The Worst Thing A Visitor Has Done In Your House? / Redefining

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.