Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,127 members, 7,821,864 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

One Nigeria By Force - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / One Nigeria By Force (316 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Your Friend. Is It By Force?” – Wike Replies Ireti Kingibe / Debate: Isn't By Force, Leave Buhari Alone - Shehu Sani Tells Nigerians / Top 5 Most Peaceful States In Nigeria By Politics Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Nigeria By Force by andyblinks05: 10:33am On Mar 21, 2021
The History of Nigeria can be traced to settlers trading across the middle East and Africa as early as 1100 BC. Numerous ancient African civilisations settled in the region that is known today as Nigeria, such as the Kingdom of Nri , the Benin Empire , and the Oyo Empire .
Islam reached Nigeria through the Borno Empire between (1068 AD) and Hausa States around (1385 AD) during the 11th century, [] while Christianity came to Nigeria in the 15th century through Augustinian and Capuchin monks from Portugal . The Songhai Empire also occupied part of the region. [] The history of Nigeria has been crucially affected by the transatlantic slave trade, which started in Nigeria in the late 15th century. The first slave-trading post used by the British and Portuguese was Badagry, a coastal harbour. Local brokers provided them with slaves, escalating conflicts among the ethnic groups in the region and disrupting older trade patterns through the Trans-Saharan route .
Lagos was invaded by British forces in 1851 and formally annexed in 1865. Nigeria became a British protectorate in 1901. The period of colonisation lasted until 1960, when an independence movement succeeded. [M Nigeria first became a republic in 1963, but succumbed to military rule three years later, after a bloody coup d'état . A separatist movement later formed the Republic of Biafra in 1967, leading to the three-year Nigerian Civil War .

The Nigerian Civil War (also known as the
Biafran War and the Nigerian-Biafran War ) was a civil war in Nigeria fought between the government of Nigeria headed by General
Yakubu Gowon and the secessionist state of
Biafra led by Lt. Colonel Odumegwu Ojukwu from 6 July 1967 to 15 January 1970. []
Biafra represented nationalist aspirations of the
Igbo people , whose leadership felt they could no longer coexist with the Northern-dominated federal government. The conflict resulted from political, economic, ethnic, cultural and religious tensions which preceded Britain's formal decolonization of Nigeria from 1960 to 1963. Immediate causes of the war in 1966 included ethno-religious violence and anti-Igbo pogroms in Northern Nigeria , a military coup , a counter-coup and persecution of Igbo living in Northern Nigeria. Control over the lucrative oil production in the Niger Delta also played a vital strategic role.

Military killed: 45,000 –100,000 [][] killed
2 million Biafran civilians perished from famine during the Nigerian naval blockade []
Displaced: 2,000,000–4,500,000 []
Refugees: 500,000 [] –3,000,000 []

To thoes of us are agitating for another republic have to think twice because we must always have to learn from history, many civilians and military died in the civil war whereas Gowon and Ojukwu were alive till the last days of Ojukwu. Most of this secessionist have only their interest and would only sacrifices the vulnerable ones to peak their desire (Nmandi kanu inclusive). If we want the change we glamour for we should start changing ourselves first.

if all agitated republic are given their sovereignty the same problems will still persist and might even be worse. never trust any leader cos when he climbs the ladder he changes. all nigeria leaders are all most the same, trust them at your own peril.
Re: One Nigeria By Force by limeta(f): 10:40am On Mar 21, 2021
To thoes of that are agitating for another republic have to think twice because we must always have to learn from history, many civilians and military died in the civil war whereas Gowon and Ojukwu were alive till the last days of Ojukwu. Most of this secessionist have only their interest and would only sacrifices the vulnerable ones to peak their desire (Nmandi kanu inclusive). If we want the change we glamour for we should start changing ourselves first.

i no do again na by force
its really strange how they just forget the oppression the slave and master relationship
and write up so much crap
who are these people?
Re: One Nigeria By Force by andyblinks05: 10:53am On Mar 21, 2021
limeta:

To thoes of that are agitating for another republic have to think twice because we must always have to learn from history, many civilians and military died in the civil war whereas Gowon and Ojukwu were alive till the last days of Ojukwu. Most of this secessionist have only their interest and would only sacrifices the vulnerable ones to peak their desire (Nmandi kanu inclusive). If we want the change we glamour for we should start changing ourselves first.

i no do again na by force
its really strange how they just forget the oppression the slave and master relationship
and write up so much crap
who are these people?

in Ojukwu words: I lead the first civil war but I don't want it to ever happen again
Re: One Nigeria By Force by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:37am On Mar 21, 2021
andyblinks05:

in Ojukwu words: I lead the first civil war but I don't want it to ever happen again

Horseshit!

If the issues that led to the first war persist, then the country shouldn't be surprised when the injustice, marginalisation, pogroms and seeing some ethnicities as 'enslaved' and below you.....the country shouldn't be surprised when all these lead to another war!

No man that believes he's a freeborn will tolerate himself and future generations being enslaved just to protect 'one Nigeria' for the benefit of one or two ethncities and the entire greedy Nigerian elite.....not minding what Ikemba said or didn't say!
Re: One Nigeria By Force by Terorislam: 11:39am On Mar 21, 2021
andyblinks05:

. In Bola Tinubu's frog voice I don't believe in one Nigeria
Re: One Nigeria By Force by andyblinks05: 3:02pm On Mar 21, 2021
PROUDIGBO:

Horseshit!

If the issues that led to the first war persist, then the country shouldn't be surprised when the injustice, marginalisation, pogroms and seeing some ethnicities as 'enslaved' and below you.....the country shouldn't be surprised when all these lead to another war!

No man that believes he's a freeborn will tolerate himself and future generations being enslaved just to protect 'one Nigeria' for the benefit of one or two ethncities and the entire greedy Nigerian elite.....not minding what Ikemba said or didn't say!

the issues will still persist even if nigeria is divided becos it will still be the same people ruling. if dividing nigeria �� is necessary then the death of over 2million people will not have been in vain
Re: One Nigeria By Force by andyblinks05: 3:05pm On Mar 21, 2021
Terorislam:
. In Bola Tinubu's frog voice I don't believe in one Nigeria
you must be igbo
na, una dey spoil Igbo name ooo
why the hate on Tinubu
a man bigger than east
Re: One Nigeria By Force by tungamaje: 4:47pm On Mar 21, 2021
andyblinks05:

the issues will still persist even if nigeria is divided becos it will still be the same people ruling. if dividing nigeria �� is necessary then the death of over 2million people will not have been in vain

Okay we agree with you, Nigeria shouldn't disintegrate. Now what new ideas do you suggest we apply to fix the country since over the years there seems to be no remedy for our problem of retrogression. I don't want to hear let's keep our faith and pray because we have continued to pray and it seems not to work

(1) (Reply)

Aba Residents Reject Mascot Over Uzor Kalu's Desperation To Cover ₦7.6B EFCC Fra / Nigerians Who Flaunt Lifestyles They Cannot Afford Will Be Investigated – Lauret / Igbanke/ Agbor Are Never Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.