Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,437 members, 7,812,300 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him (25736 Views)

Nigerian Caregiver Jailed In UAE For Staying 30-minutes In The Bathroom / Meet Dele Taiwo, Magistrate In Ondo State (Photos) / Magistrate Denies A Muslim Counsel Audience For Wearing Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by osuofia2(m): 4:06pm On Mar 23, 2021
Queenlovely:
it is normal.

It is called.contempt of court.

do you know what it means to be a judge? I have been close to major judges in Nigeria and know their stress.

Nigerians are very stubborn people, we don't obey law or follow process.

even abroad they jail lawyers for contempt of court.
BRIBE TAKING JUDGE YOU MEAN
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by 7wonder(m): 4:10pm On Mar 23, 2021
Omihanifa:
This is clearly an Abuse of power, why can't the magistrate simply report him to NJC so that the lawyer can be sanctioned instead of sending him to suleja prisons undecided

the story is looking as if the magistrate used the available opportunity to take his own pound of flesh for an old beef undecided
Nope. The magistrate cannot report the lawyer to the NJC because the lawyer does not belong to the bench. He can report him to the NBA but chose to exercise his judicial power to punish the lawyer for contempt. What happened thwre was purely an exercise of his judicial powers to punish for contempt in facie curiae. (Contempt committed in the face on the court)..nothing new. I wouldn't say the Magistrate is wicked. Just to teach the lawyer a lesson because most lawyers do not respect the bench.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by rita25(f): 4:10pm On Mar 23, 2021
HAUSA VS IGBO EVEN AMONG LEARNED COLLEGUES grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin THESE MALLAMS HAVE 100% ABSOLUTE ABUSE OF POWER MENTALITY
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by rainmoredays: 4:14pm On Mar 23, 2021
Premiumwriter:
Holla!

If you are scared of a seller running away with your money when you pay for a product or service online, you might want to consider using my escrow service.

If you are also scared of ending up with sub-standard items or being sent the wrong item with no way to redeem yourself, you should consider my escrow service.

Trust is a necessity for closing any business deal whether online or offline.

My escrow service is here to promote that trust and help both buyers and sellers transact effortlessly and without any fear of getting duped.

As an escrow service provider, I'll be the third-party in any transaction you'll carry out online.

If you are paying for anything online, I'll hold your money in trust. This way your buyers will only get the money when you are satisfied with the items you receive.

See reviews of my services on nairaland by nairalanders!

As a seller, if you are finding it difficult to convince your customers about the credibility of your business, you might want to ask them to use my escrow service. That way, they will be sure of getting their items and this will facilitate smoother transactions for your business.

My fee is from as low as N300 to N1,000 which can be shared by both the buyer and seller. I believe this is a small price to pay for the safety of your funds and trusts.

WhatsApp me on: 2347055822849
I do you want me to trust an escrow I haven't seen before in my life.

Lol, oga go find better work do.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by GboyegaD(m): 4:17pm On Mar 23, 2021
ijewejones:
Nigeria is a country where anybody,everybody intimidates one another(especially the subordinates when it is in an institution settings)

Assume it to be on a neutral ground,that lawyer & the magistrate for dey put legs inside one trousers.. grin

Nothing person never hear when it comes to Nigeria

This is imbedded in our culture and the only way to move forward as a country is to scrap the culture that makes the other feel s/he is higher than the next person on whatsoever ground.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by mekussa(m): 4:17pm On Mar 23, 2021
This is what happens in magistrate courts all over the country..... A bunch of hopeless morons given any form of powers end up becoming bigger morons
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by 7wonder(m): 4:18pm On Mar 23, 2021
Barrywilly:
It was wrong for the lawyer to be interrupting the magistrate while delivering his ruling. The best option is to appeal the ruling on the basis of his perceived wrongs. He deserved what he got even though it was wrong for the magistrate to take law into his own hand. You cannot be an accuser and the judge at the same time.
In the instant case, the magistrate can be an accuser and a judge at the same time..that's the law. The procedure is to put the lawyer in the dock to explain the reason for his actions and if he doesn't give cogent reasons why he acted that way, the magistrate has the power to sentence him to prison. The post didn't really capture whether that procedure took place or not but I believe the lawyer couldn't give cogent reasons for his actions hence the sentence. That is contempt proceedings for you. In the lawyer's case, it was committed right in front of the judge which makes it difficult for the lawyer. Pleas from other counsel in Court cannot even avail him because emotions are not considered in law. Bless.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by 6digitscomrade: 4:23pm On Mar 23, 2021
iamyemiakins:
Wahala be like wetin again
dangote aboki ikebe very large and no towel can contain lol
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Goldiness: 4:43pm On Mar 23, 2021
Doraty1:

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/abuja-magistrate-orders-lawyer-handcuffed-jailed-for-challenging-him/

This is not funny ooh, I can feel the emotions of both parties from reading the gist, may God help the lawyer ooh, it can be terrible if he see the criminal he put in prison, there in sulaja prison, and the prisoner will say so you later come here, just like the devil on the last day will tell some people so you later came to hell after binding and casting me cheesy cheesy hahhhahaha, or may be one day the lawyer will be a judge and be in a position to judge the judge child tomorrow, this action can back fire ooh, let's be careful with our emotions sad
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by wink2015(m): 4:52pm On Mar 23, 2021
Omihanifa:
This is clearly an Abuse of power, why can't the magistrate simply report him to NJC so that the lawyer can be sanctioned instead of sending him to suleja prisons undecided

the story is looking as if the magistrate used the available opportunity to take his own pound of flesh for an old beef undecided

YES O !

NATIONAL JUDICIAL COUNCIL SUPPOSED HEAR THE MATTER.

The magistrate just take power by force.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by themanderon: 5:04pm On Mar 23, 2021
His village fiffle followed him to court on that day. From going to defend someone to ending up in jail.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by moorevic(m): 5:04pm On Mar 23, 2021
Barrywilly:
It was wrong for the lawyer to be interrupting the magistrate while delivering his ruling. The best option is to appeal the ruling on the basis of his perceived wrongs. He deserved what he got even though it was wrong for the magistrate to take law into his own hand. You cannot be an accuser and the judge at the same time.

Nice judgement
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by remi1444: 5:15pm On Mar 23, 2021
grin
This reminds me of Candide Johnson v Esther Edigin.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by ayandee: 5:21pm On Mar 23, 2021
Omihanifa:

Legal Practitioners' Disciplinary Committee not NJC
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by gulfer: 5:41pm On Mar 23, 2021
Omihanifa:

It's not an abuse but the severity of the punishment is too high. A 48hrs community service could have reset the lawyers head; some lawyers can be annoying with their arguments sometimes cool cool cool
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Premiumwriter: 5:50pm On Mar 23, 2021
rainmoredays:
I do you want me to trust an escrow I haven't seen before in my life.

Lol, oga go find better work do.
don't worry sister, I'm building something good and hope one day you can trust me.

I can see you've been scammed before... Sorry.

You can check my review thread here to read more about what people are saying about my service.

https://www.nairaland.com/6470028/write-read-reviews-premium-escrow

The Growth is slow but steady.

Thank you
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Agadinaagwuofe: 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2021
Queenlovely:
it is normal.

do you know what it means to be a judge? I have been close to major judges in Nigeria and know their stress.

But Judges are different from magistrates...Well the lawyer was wrong in challenging him.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Duplexxx: 6:15pm On Mar 23, 2021
OK O
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by westfield: 6:27pm On Mar 23, 2021
Why do people come up here and write rubbish without understanding how LAW works.......why should a mere lawyer challenge a magistrate is that what he was taught in law school ........why couldnt he wait and challenge the decision somewhere else........abeg dont be unfortunate

Omihanifa:

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Pharaoh4rin(m): 6:28pm On Mar 23, 2021
There's this novel i read some times ago. It's called "The Judgement". I can't remember d author right now though, but in the that novel, the judge sentenced the defender lawyer to court for contempt. It's one of the best novels I've raed in recent years. I'll check my library when I get home. So, It happens.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Trip440: 7:19pm On Mar 23, 2021
What losers these people are. Worst kind of human beings. Cannibals are better than ignorant individuals. disgusting. You doing rubbish, someone sees it, it's now a problem. Nobody will bow for you. Fuqing coward.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by iboman(m): 7:29pm On Mar 23, 2021
Barrywilly:

U are on point except for one aspect. A magistrate can sentence summarily for contempt committed right before him. A magistrate delivering a ruling is just like a judge delivering a judgment. No one dares interrupt. The lawyer was too brash. However, I think the sentence is a little too much. A week or 2 weeks should've been ok though I can't fault the magistrate in any way.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by AyakaDunukofia: 7:39pm On Mar 23, 2021
The lawyer shouldn't have interrupted the ruling regardless of his reasons. It is against the principles of court proceedings. However, the magistrate's decision was extreme.

Well. the Nigerian magistrates' system is over rated. Magistrate job in the UK is a voluntary one and not even a paid profession.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by doxijaw: 7:40pm On Mar 23, 2021
6aija*
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Malubi(m): 9:05pm On Mar 23, 2021
Muslim man using sharia law to deliver rulling. . . . War against christians coming in many different forms.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by TheAdvocate(m): 9:14pm On Mar 23, 2021
Omihanifa:

It's not an abuse of powers sir. Only judges of superior courts are subject to discipline by the NJC even the magistrate is not subject to NJC discipline but subject to his state Judicial Service Commission which in this case, is the FCT.

Any judge from Area Court to Supreme Court can sanctioned anybody for contempt. Contempt can be in facie curia (in the face of court) or ex facie curia (which is contempt done outside the court). The judge can summarily try anyone for contempt and sentence the person to prisons.

A lawyer who is not a judicial officer is on the other hand subject to discipline by the NBA.

While I am of the believe that the lawyer acted in contempt but interrupting the court, I also believe that the judge acted too hard on the lawyer in view of plea from other lawyers in court. Once a judge is delivering a ruling and it doesn't seem to be going your way as a lawyer, you hold your peace and appeal it after the ruling. In my decade and half of practice, I have never seen a lawyer cited for contempt in any court. I only read of it in papers.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Yusman316(m): 9:25pm On Mar 23, 2021
Something that is normal, Nigerians will still make it look like something extraordinary. What is wrong with a judge ordering for the arrest and incarceration of someone (in this case a lawyer) for contempt of court process?
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by calcal: 11:55pm On Mar 23, 2021
an Igbo lawyer challenge Fulani magistrate
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Dtruthspeaker: 1:15am On Mar 24, 2021
Omihanifa:

It is because the lawyer caught him in the act and raised alarm!
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Dtruthspeaker: 1:19am On Mar 24, 2021
BigSarah:
shocked is that legal? No physical assault....

It is not! Just that the illegality would have first been perpetrated before it is corrected!
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Dtruthspeaker: 1:25am On Mar 24, 2021
Queenlovely:
it is normal.

This has nothing to do with stubbornness as reported for the magistrate did not listen to the pleas, meaning he did not act "Bonafide" which clearly means that he was Guilty of what the lawyer saw.

And looking at the severity of the punishment, it is very loud!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bad Money Habits And How To Break Them / Why I Dropped My Degree To Become A Taxi Driver - Abuja-based Female Taxi Driver / Chicken Stolen From Store, Manager Sacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.