Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,894 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him (25733 Views)

Nigerian Caregiver Jailed In UAE For Staying 30-minutes In The Bathroom / Meet Dele Taiwo, Magistrate In Ondo State (Photos) / Magistrate Denies A Muslim Counsel Audience For Wearing Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by moscobabs(m): 3:12pm On Mar 23, 2021
Hambivert:
sparogated!

?
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Jerryherd: 3:12pm On Mar 23, 2021
Contempt of court

1 Like

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by OBALOLA55(m): 3:12pm On Mar 23, 2021
Mindlog:
He went to defend his client's case and ended up a correctional facility!
HE MIGHT BE A DEFENDER OF ONE ZOOGERIA
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Ogbuu101: 3:12pm On Mar 23, 2021
The name of the Magistrate is Ibrahim Mohammed

1 Like

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by ieebrahima: 3:13pm On Mar 23, 2021
Vinny Gambini �
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by tinktanker: 3:13pm On Mar 23, 2021
Barrywilly:
It was wrong for the lawyer to be interrupting the magistrate while delivering his ruling. The best option is to appeal the ruling on the basis of his perceived wrongs. He deserved what he got even though it was wrong for the magistrate to take law into his own hand. You cannot be an accuser and the judge at the same time.
do u know how to read. Forcing a lie on the lawyer

1 Like

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Steve28: 3:13pm On Mar 23, 2021
Under this current administration we should all be expecting the unexpected..
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 23, 2021
It is finished!! This is what happens when sharia scholars are made judges. God please break Nigeria for us before it turns bloody!

1 Like

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by prigoz(m): 3:14pm On Mar 23, 2021
The Magistrate must be a sadist or something is fishy, if not why should he not listening to plea of other barristers, imagine if such Magistrate is given opportunity to be judge at Supreme Court. Nonsense, are you sure that he passed hisl aw school just like our presidio whom we are still searching for his WAEC since 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Emola12(m): 3:14pm On Mar 23, 2021
Maybe me sef I go dey arrest dos people wey dey challenge me be dat aswear
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by chawtinz(m): 3:15pm On Mar 23, 2021
share for the magistrate and like for oga lawyer

1 Like

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by budusky05(m): 3:15pm On Mar 23, 2021
Thats what you get from a system that has been headed by corruption CJN
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by alowonle02(m): 3:18pm On Mar 23, 2021
Power pass power.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by preciousmetals: 3:19pm On Mar 23, 2021
Only in Zoo Nigeria, their eye will soon clear
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Quality20(m): 3:22pm On Mar 23, 2021
e no reach 2 yrs na. 2 months to d lawyer is just like going to understudy the prison facility

1 Like

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Angelfrost(m): 3:22pm On Mar 23, 2021
BigSarah:
shocked is that legal? No physical assault....

Contempt of court is actually a criminal offense... Punishable by a heavy fine or jail term!
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Judolisco(m): 3:23pm On Mar 23, 2021
There are rules now how can you accuse a judge of collecting bribe... Even if u go accuse am no be when he dey on seat
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Angelfrost(m): 3:23pm On Mar 23, 2021
Quality20:
e no reach 2 yrs na. 2 months to d lawyer is must like going to understudy the prison facility

He will likely not go anywhere near the jail tbh... It will be converted to a fine payable in full or in parts.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Angelfrost(m): 3:25pm On Mar 23, 2021
preciousmetals:
Only in Zoo Nigeria, their eye will soon clear

Be calming down please... This happens everywhere in the world! To be held in contempt by a judge is quite serious and punishable by fine or jail term. Research it.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by SunTzu123(m): 3:26pm On Mar 23, 2021
Premiumwriter:
Holla!

If you are scared of a seller running away with your money when you pay for a product or service online, you might want to consider using my escrow service.

If you are also scared of ending up with sub-standard items or being sent the wrong item with no way to redeem yourself, you should consider my escrow service.

Trust is a necessity for closing any business deal whether online or offline.

My escrow service is here to promote that trust and help both buyers and sellers transact effortlessly and without any fear of getting duped.

As an escrow service provider, I'll be the third-party in any transaction you'll carry out online.

If you are paying for anything online, I'll hold your money in trust. This way your buyers will only get the money when you are satisfied with the items you receive.

See reviews of my services on nairaland by nairalanders!

As a seller, if you are finding it difficult to convince your customers about the credibility of your business, you might want to ask them to use my escrow service. That way, they will be sure of getting their items and this will facilitate smoother transactions for your business.

My fee is from as low as N300 to N1,000 which can be shared by both the buyer and seller. I believe this is a small price to pay for the safety of your funds and trusts.

WhatsApp me on: 2347055822849

Marketing your escrow services (a beautiful service) via WhatsApp (an all comers platform) will reduce your credibility. I'm not saying you won't get clients but a professional website would be a good first step.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Minjim: 3:28pm On Mar 23, 2021
Omihanifa:
This is clearly an Abuse of power, why can't the magistrate simply report him to njc so that the lawyer can be sanctioned instead of sending him to suleja prisons undecided

It hasn't even come to that.
The magistrate can give him a warning.
However, the issue that the magistrate misquoted him must be investigated.
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Minjim: 3:29pm On Mar 23, 2021
Queenlovely:
it is normal.

It is called.contempt of court.

do you know what it means to be a judge? I have been close to major judges in Nigeria and know their stress.

Nigerians are very stubborn people, we don't obey law or follow process.

even abroad they jail lawyers for contempt of court.

As if the judge is not a Nigerian
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Buffalo2(m): 3:33pm On Mar 23, 2021
So if dem arrange and Kpai ds one now, pple go dey say kinni kan abi?
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Fuckingmallam45(m): 3:33pm On Mar 23, 2021
Judiciary is an important pillar of democracy. If people are allowed to get away with disobeying or scandalizing the courts, it will not be possible for the Judiciary to function effectively. Therefore, we have a Contempt of Courts Act, 1971.

2. Contempt of court is of two types: (1) Civil Contempt, and (2) Criminal Contempt. Civil contempt means disobedience of any judgment or the order of the court given in an individual case. Criminal Contempt means scandalizing or lowering the dignity of the court, or interfering with or obstructing the administration of justice. Criminal contempt is taken more seriously by the courts, while in case of civil contempt the offender is generally let off if he obeys the order already given by the court and shows his regrets.

3. Punishment for contempt of court is six months imprisonment or fine up to 200,000or both. Only High Court and Supreme Court can punish for their own contempt or the contempt of a lower court. Thanks!!!
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Premiumwriter: 3:35pm On Mar 23, 2021
SunTzu123:

Marketing your escrow services (a beautiful service) via WhatsApp (an all comers platform) will reduce your credibility. I'm not saying you won't get clients but a professional website would be a good first step.
Taking baby steps first.

Thanks for the recommendation sir
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by Premiumwriter: 3:37pm On Mar 23, 2021
Swerve4me:

What if we are also scared your escrow service will run away with the money?
lolz.
That will never ever happen
Kindly check my review thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/6470028/write-read-reviews-premium-escrow
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by xpressionx(m): 3:40pm On Mar 23, 2021
Quota system judge.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by castiello(m): 3:47pm On Mar 23, 2021
Omihanifa:
This is clearly an Abuse of power, why can't the magistrate simply report him to NJC so that the lawyer can be sanctioned instead of sending him to suleja prisons undecided

the story is looking as if the magistrate used the available opportunity to take his own pound of flesh for an old beef undecided

Not I will advise you visit court proceedings regularly to understand how the law works, in the eye of the law no emotions they only follow what the law says, many time prosecutors and IPO are sent to jail for lack of competence even unlooker who don’t conduct themselves in court also visit prison regularly this is the law and Emotions is not involved for you to deliver justice you must see facts
Re: Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him by kingjooo(m): 3:52pm On Mar 23, 2021
Queenlovely:
it is normal.

It is called.contempt of court.

do you know what it means to be a judge? I have been close to major judges in Nigeria and know their stress.

Nigerians are very stubborn people, we don't obey law or follow process.

even abroad they jail lawyers for contempt of court.
you are absolutely correct,contempt of court is a judicial power bestowed on a trial judge/magistrate to punish whoever obstruct normal court proceedings.Judges don't normally listen to pleas whenever they exercise dis powers,it serve as detriment to others.To be a migistrate is not a day job.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why I Dropped My Degree To Become A Taxi Driver - Abuja-based Female Taxi Driver / Bad Money Habits And How To Break Them / Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.