Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,393 members, 7,850,397 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:32 PM

A Nig-American Provides Perspective On The Stress Involved In Getting Vaccinated - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nig-American Provides Perspective On The Stress Involved In Getting Vaccinated (344 Views)

''You Come from a Country of Forgers & Scammers''. American Tells Nig-American / Uzodimma: APGA Is Like Keke NAPEP, It Can’t Take Igbos Far In Getting Presidency / Meet Sergeant Rogers, Abacha's Hit Man Involved In Kudirat Abiola Assassination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Nig-American Provides Perspective On The Stress Involved In Getting Vaccinated by Adelaide2: 12:17am On Mar 25, 2021
Below From a Friend. Do you live in the US? If so, do you also feel like this?
=============================================================

''My COVID-19 vaccination appointment and wild thoughts thereof.

To get a COVID-19 vaccination appointment in Connecticut (CT) you had to wake up very early, 4 am, to go online to register. I learned that fact the hard way, yet by serendipity. After waiting for the elderly, the sick and the medical/emergency front liners to take their rightful turn at vaccination, it finally got to my turn last week, based on my age group. Since then, I have tried all the websites listed for vaccination in the state, to no avail. I put my name and the next thing it says ''fully booked''. Then I thought to myself hm! I hope it is not what I am thinking! I have heard news of how Americans are being vaccinated at different rates based on their race. Your race is one of the questions you had to answer while filling the forms. So, my mind immediately went there. To test that hypothesis, I did what many African American job seekers do when they sense racism in their inability to land jobs that they applied for. I EXPERIMENTED with a different last name and race; my first name being English, that was easy. I typed in an English sounding last name and changed my race. Lo and behold it did not yield a different outcome than when I used my Igbo last name and my true race. After several permutations of different English last names without success. I went to bed, frustrated.

This morning I woke up early about 4 am, to complete some assignments before heading out to work. I thought okay let me give it another try. When I did using my real names and race, more than 50 open appointment schedules popped up. I selected the closest one to my house and Pronto, I have an appointment for tomorrow for my first shot of the Moderna vaccine, and sometime in April for my second one.

Lesson of the day: time makes the difference, sometimes. It could be the only thing keeping us from attaining our pursuits. Sometimes it is only frustration that drives us into different wild thoughts. I hoped there is no racism in vaccine administration in CT. But what should I be thinking when I am unable to get an appointment after trying for several days, and given what is on the news in many other places? Nevertheless, it was good that I kept my wild thoughts to myself until proven to be what it was: wild thoughts. I should realize that there is a deluge of applicants waiting to be vaccinated and some just wait on their computer to snap up any available appointment. Time waits for no man; man waits for time. Good luck when you get vaccinated.''
Re: A Nig-American Provides Perspective On The Stress Involved In Getting Vaccinated by ZnO: 3:41am On Mar 25, 2021
Adelaide2:
Below From a Friend. Do you live in the US? If so, do you also feel like this?
=============================================================

''My COVID-19 vaccination appointment and wild thoughts thereof.

To get a COVID-19 vaccination appointment in Connecticut (CT) you had to wake up very early, 4 am, to go online to register. I learned that fact the hard way, yet by serendipity. After waiting for the elderly, the sick and the medical/emergency front liners to take their rightful turn at vaccination, it finally got to my turn last week, based on my age group. Since then, I have tried all the websites listed for vaccination in the state, to no avail. I put my name and the next thing it says ''fully booked''. Then I thought to myself hm! I hope it is not what I am thinking! I have heard news of how Americans are being vaccinated at different rates based on their race. Your race is one of the questions you had to answer while filling the forms. So, my mind immediately went there. To test that hypothesis, I did what many African American job seekers do when they sense racism in their inability to land jobs that they applied for. I EXPERIMENTED with a different last name and race; my first name being English, that was easy. I typed in an English sounding last name and changed my race. Lo and behold it did not yield a different outcome than when I used my Igbo last name and my true race. After several permutations of different English last names without success. I went to bed, frustrated.

This morning I woke up early about 4 am, to complete some assignments before heading out to work. I thought okay let me give it another try. When I did using my real names and race, more than 50 open appointment schedules popped up. I selected the closest one to my house and Pronto, I have an appointment for tomorrow for my first shot of the Moderna vaccine, and sometime in April for my second one.

Lesson of the day: time makes the difference, sometimes. It could be the only thing keeping us from attaining our pursuits. Sometimes it is only frustration that drives us into different wild thoughts. I hoped there is no racism in vaccine administration in CT. But what should I be thinking when I am unable to get an appointment after trying for several days, and given what is on the news in many other places? Nevertheless, it was good that I kept my wild thoughts to myself until proven to be what it was: wild thoughts. I should realize that there is a deluge of applicants waiting to be vaccinated and some just wait on their computer to snap up any available appointment. Time waits for no man; man waits for time. Good luck when you get vaccinated.''

LOL
Re: A Nig-American Provides Perspective On The Stress Involved In Getting Vaccinated by Adelaide2: 2:23pm On Mar 25, 2021
ZnO:

LOL

Is that a befitting response? smiley

(1) (Reply)

Kaduna State Governor, El-rufai Meets Pastor E.A Adeboye-photo / US Disease Control Agency Appoints New Director For Nigeria / Buhari Approves Appointment Of 18 Appeal Court Judges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.