Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,666 members, 7,809,516 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria (375871 Views)

Chinese Man Rocking Yoruba Traditional Attire (Photos) / Traditional Attire Of Ivory Coast / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Meyan: 6:07pm On Apr 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I'd love to do a lil research of periodical changes to help you a bit, but I just got done with 2 this semester, so not really interested. Thing is, Yorubas' fashion change, and they change rapidly. The Yoruba attires I posted where designed by innovative  Yoruba tailors.

To put it lightly, you can say Nigeria's head gear fashion was influenced by the Yoruba designs. Apart from our headgear and some of our clothing styles, Igbo dresses are no wear close to Yorubas. Look at their modernized clothing; short arm lengths, the wrapper is way different from the Yorubas. While Yoruba 's buba and iro colors are uniformed, Igbos' are different.

Yea, maybe it's because you're not fashion buff. I'm definitely a fashionista and I observe closesly.

At the risk of not derailing this thread, I'd have to stop replying you tho. You can make a thread and I'll def be show upwink

The thing is that you feel Yoruba fashion changes rapidly while others remain stagnant. And no, I do have a bit of fashion sense and these “modern” designs are mostly European influenced.

And also, as you can see, the Igbo women at the beginning of Page 3 and the some of the "Yoruba women with Indian influence" are wearing almost the same thing -- an off-shoulder dress with a headgear.

I really don’t see anything distinct from all these modern attires across West Africa, apart from maybe the type of headgear worn with them and the use of accessories that maybe distinct to some cultures.

I thought every thread is open for discussion and this one is for fashion, and we are talking fashion here. So I dont see how it is being derailed.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:29pm On Apr 24, 2011
Yoruba's gele (head tie).

[img]http://3.bp..com/_VfdGlmUwjFQ/Sgq9a1pndqI/AAAAAAAAEiI/4AXYz-TL1RM/s320/headtie.png[/img]

The Fans you see Yoruba women with were designed to emulate the tail flair of a peacock. These types of fans are called "Okin Arewa". A modernized Yoruba tradition.

Yoruba

Color coordination for Husbands and wives.

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 24, 2011
By the time you know it, Nigerians and Western Africans will be carrying Okin Arewas too cool

@Post

Yorubas began this style in the last decades or so.

I'm talking about the cloth that wraps one part of the shoulder

[img]http://1.bp..com/_UPMrfiIaMf8/SPdhPoJ5kaI/AAAAAAAAAD4/cBKVpkFXxXQ/s320/20w.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:47pm On Apr 24, 2011
No matter what get together it is. . . .husbands and wives usually dress in color coord. Not sure if that's how Yorubas have always been.
Color coord signifies future harmony and accordance in matrimonial home.

1 Like

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

The thing is that you feel Yoruba fashion changes rapidly while others remain stagnant. And no, I do have a bit of fashion sense and these “modern” designs are mostly European influenced.

And also, as you can see, the Igbo women at the beginning of Page 3 and the some of the "Yoruba women with Indian influence" are wearing almost the same thing -- an off-shoulder dress with a headgear.

I really don’t see anything distinct from all these modern attires across West Africa, apart from maybe the type of headgear worn with them and the use of accessories that maybe distinct to some cultures.

I thought every thread is open for discussion and this one is for fashion, and we are talking fashion here. So I dont see how it is being derailed.

This is the Igbo modern design

And this is the Yoruba design

Notice the difference?

The one piece dresses (on the previous) were designed by Yorubas. When it comes to marriage traditional outfit, our designs are dynamic; forever changing.

A new headtie is forming in the Yoruba community. And some of our tailors (such as segun gele) and designers are going international with it.

http://www.segungele.com/index2.php?v=v1

I dont want to sound tribalistic ofcourse, that's why I'm not trying to push this discussion. But there are very different designs for those two groups. Yoruba designs have and will continue to be widespread and worn by not only Nigerians and W.Africans, but also non-Africans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 7:06pm On Apr 24, 2011
More pictures here

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8959478741#!/group.php?gid=8959478741&v=photos&so=0

New headtie designs by a Yoruba man. It hasnt spread yet, butit will.

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4U7IQO65NHuP8eXAq_EqBrQv9XlULlGayopdcmGDBpL--PYOj9A[/img]

Look at Ini Edo, she's wearing a Yoruba headtie design, which is not part of her traditional clothing.

[img]http://3.bp..com/_ugxe3Y71MsY/STg5x-FpNNI/AAAAAAAACKY/JE5c2utMniY/s400/inibabywedding.jpg[/img]
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Meyan: 7:35pm On Apr 24, 2011
It seems you are not getting my point. Yoruba ”traditional” attires are distinct. Those are easily recognized. But the “modern” ones which are mostly one piece dresses are not. They are mostly European influenced, so “Yoruba” cannot lay claim to those for their distinctiveness. Any African designer with enough exposure can do same with native fabrics, so I don’t see anything Yoruba about them.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 8:01pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

It seems you are not getting my point. Yoruba ”traditional” attires are distinct. Those are easily recognized. But the “modern” ones which are mostly one piece dresses are not. They are mostly European influenced, so “Yoruba” cannot lay claim to those for their distinctiveness. Any African designer with enough exposure can do same with native fabrics, so I don’t see anything Yoruba about them.

Of course they can lay claim to it. They designed it, with multiple cultural factors. Modern Yoruba clothes, fashioned by modern Yoruba women/men.

BTW, why is this such a problem?

Can we say the design by Americans with other cultural factors are not American designed? i.e gladiator shoes.

1 Like

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 8:07pm On Apr 24, 2011
Later, we'll hear that this latest design by a Yoruba designer is not Yoruba even with Yoruba culture applied to it. ,

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4U7IQO65NHuP8eXAq_EqBrQv9XlULlGayopdcmGDBpL--PYOj9A[/img]
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Meyan: 8:20pm On Apr 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Of course they can lay claim to it. They designed it, with multiple cultural factors. Modern Yoruba clothes, fashioned by modern Yoruba women/men.

BTW, why is this such a problem?

Can we say the design by Americans with other cultural factors are not American designed? i.e gladiator shoes.

Not a problem, just having a discussion about fashion. And like I said, I see these modern designs across Nigeria and West Africa. So I don’t see how it is peculiar to one tribe or nation for that matter.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

Not a problem, just having a discussion about fashion. And like I said, I see these modern designs across Nigeria and West Africa. So I don’t see how it is peculiar to one tribe or nation for that matter.

It is when it's being designed by people of one nation/ ethnicity.
We have Ameerican products on Nigerian shores, Nigerians then try as they may to emulate the western designs. At the end, it's still American.

1 Like

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Meyan: 8:38pm On Apr 24, 2011
I am not saying it is not Nigerian. But I would not ascribe it to a specific tribe and say it is peculiar to them. Unless you are telling me that it is only Yorubas who are designing and wearing these “modern” designs in Nigeria, and West Africa for that matter. It just seems far off from that. That's all.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

I am not saying it is not Nigerian. But I would not ascribe to a specific tribe and say it is peculiar to them. Unless you are telling me that it is only Yorubas who are designing and wearing these “modern” designs in Nigeria, and West Africa for that matter. It just seems far off from that. That's all.

I'm not saying it's not Nigeria, I'm saying that the pictures I posted Yoruba designed, worn by Yoruba ppl during Yoruba celebrations. With Yoruba culture applied into the designs. So basically, it's a Yoruba "modern" attire. That's the point of "modern". To appl basic culture with new ideas.

Is that clearer or do we still need a lil explanation?

1 Like

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Meyan: 8:54pm On Apr 24, 2011
You are beating round the bush and flogging a dead horse.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 8:57pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

You are beating round the bush and flogging a dead horse.

Then quit going around in circle.

Yoruba modern design, designed by Yoruba people with applied Yoruba culture, even if modern ideas are also applied, they're still Yoruba Modern attire. Each ethnicity have their own attires. I've posted mines, everyone knows how popular Yoruba designs are, so it's not unusual to find it across NIgeria and western Africa.

Need more explanation? I dont even know why this is a problem again o.

1 Like

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Meyan: 9:06pm On Apr 24, 2011
I’m not running in circles, I already made my points clear. These modern designs are not peculiar to a specific tribe in Nigeria. I have attended a lot of weddings accross Nigeria and these modern designs are what I see people wear, especially those of the ladies. So I dunno, how it is peculiar to only Yoruba. The only reason you have given so far, is that because the ones you posted was tailored by one Yoruba tailor and worn at a Yoruba event, then it is Yoruba.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

I’m not running in circles, I already made my points clear. These modern designs are not peculiar to a specific tribe in Nigeria. I have attended a lot of weddings accross Nigeria and these modern designs are what I see people wear, especially those of the ladies. So I dunno, how it is peculiar to only Yoruba. The only reason you have given so far, is that because it was designed by one Yoruba designer and worn at a Yoruba event, then it is Yoruba.

Still in the same circle:

Ileke-IdI:

Then quit going around in circle.

Yoruba modern design, designed by Yoruba people with applied Yoruba culture, even if modern ideas are also applied, they're still Yoruba Modern attire. Each ethnicity have their own attires. I've posted mines, everyone knows how popular Yoruba designs are, so it's not unusual to find it across NIgeria and western Africa.

Need more explanation? I dont even know why this is a problem again o.

If other ethnicity see the reason to emulate those attires, nobody is arguing. It was created for the Yoruba tradition and by Yorubas. . . .nobody is stopping others from emulating. I gave an example of Ini Edo and her Yoruba gele for her wedding, done for her by Segun who is an artist in Yoruba head dress.  Do you or do you not understand what modern means?

BTW, if you don't know after my replies, you'll never know.

1 Like

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 9:14pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

I’m not running in circles, I already made my points clear. These modern designs are not peculiar to a specific tribe in Nigeria. I have attended a lot of weddings accross Nigeria and these modern designs are what I see people wear, especially those of the ladies. So I dunno, how it is peculiar to only Yoruba. The only reason you have given so far, is that because the ones you posted was tailored by one Yoruba tailor and worn at a Yoruba event, then it is Yoruba.
@Meyan, your points are well digested and understood.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:16pm On Apr 24, 2011
Yoruba gele

Small small our okin arewa (peacock fan) will be Nigerianlized, as the Yoruba gele.

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 24, 2011
Yoruba

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 24, 2011
Soon Americans would be on it.

This Yoruba outfit created for Michel Obama is quite ugly. I guess she had to be conservative. They could have gone modern Yoruba for her

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 9:33pm On Apr 24, 2011
Modern Nigeria trad. attire (Igbo, Yoruba, Edo, Ibibio, Ijaw,Igala etc).

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:34pm On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 24, 2011
Yoruba

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by THEAMAKA(f): 9:37pm On Apr 24, 2011
nutcase
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:38pm On Apr 24, 2011
*banned

Yoruba

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Meyan: 9:39pm On Apr 24, 2011
Am I not doing me? You are the one trying to convince me not the other way round. Like I have stated and will maintain, these "modern" designs cannot be ascribed to a specific tribe. The more traditional ones can be ascribed to a specific tribe but the modern ones cannot. No matter how you twist it.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

Am I not doing me? You are the one trying to convince me not the other way round. Like I have stated and will maintain, these "modern" designs cannot be ascribed to a specific tribe. The more traditional ones can be ascribed to a specific tribe but the modern ones cannot. No matter how you twist it.

"Convincing" over. Back to thread.

Who knew that posting Yoruba pictures would cause chaos.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:42pm On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 24, 2011
More by Yoruba designers. Soon enough, these designed would again become Nigerianalized/ W.African

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:46pm On Apr 24, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire / Igbo Names & Their Meanings / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.