Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,418 members, 7,815,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? (2038 Views)

Chiamaka Nnadozie Is The Goalkeeper Of The 2023/2024 Season In France / If You Are The Goalkeeper In This Situation What Will You Do? (photo) / Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Tyenergie: 9:09pm On Mar 28, 2021
Given the fact that I'm not an ardent fan of any sport, but it amazes me to see goalkeepers in a different jersey from their teammates.

I asked myself this question and some thoughts began to run through my mind, but I don't know how genuine they are:

Thought No 1. Could it be for easy identification?

Counter thought: with hand gloves and position, one should easily spot and differentiate goalkeepers from the remaining players.

Thought No 2: could there be a regulation for such a move?

Counter thought: Though it is widely accepted and no country/club has ever defaulted from this regular practice. Then again, if the color of a team can not be suggested by any sport regulatory body, why would they dish out such rule and make it oblivion of public.

Thought No 3: could it be for protection? Owing to the nature of their jersey fabrication.

I've come to seek opinions on this topic from sports enthusiasts and lovers.

Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by osamz007: 9:27pm On Mar 28, 2021
TO MAKE THE FIELD COLOURFUL

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Amotolongbo(f): 9:33pm On Mar 28, 2021
Mostly for visibility and identification of the goalkeeper by the referee where players are bunched up for free kicks or corner kicks in the 18yard box. Only goal keepers are allowed to touch ball in that area and also needs maximum attention and protection.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by ipobarecriminals: 10:21pm On Mar 28, 2021
Typing
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Tyenergie: 10:41pm On Mar 28, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Mostly for visibility and identification to the referee where players are bunched up for free kicks or corner kicks in the 18yard box. Only goal keepers are allowed to touch ball in that area

Hand gloves should suffice in identifying goalkeepers. My opinion.

With a goalkeeper's jersey alone, nobody can accurately suggest which country /club such jersey represents.
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Amotolongbo(f): 10:51pm On Mar 28, 2021
Tyenergie:

With a goalkeeper's jersey alone, nobody can accurately suggest which country /club such jersey represents.
Hand gloves alone can’t help in the identification of the goalkeeper. Hence the need for a bright and different jersey from his teammates and opponents.

On the norms, you can only have a goalkeeper in the 18yard box(apart from the rare occasions where you have the opponent goalkeeper coming to attack for a corner kick towards the last minute of the match). Moreover, the goalkeeper coming to the penalty area of his/her opponents doesn’t receive the leverage treatment and protection of a goalkeeper again in the opponents 18yard.

So a goalkeeper needs special outfit which is bright and different from other players on the pitch

4 Likes

Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by spy24(m): 11:59pm On Mar 28, 2021
For easy identification simple
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Draslo(m): 1:04am On Mar 29, 2021
Simple.

Because it's foot ball and they're the only players allowed to use hands. They're different and it should be obvious.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Pious101: 7:15am On Mar 29, 2021
U have answered d question...it is because he is d goal keeper....what else do u want to know
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by 77star: 10:52am On Mar 29, 2021
For easy identification

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by boss1310(m): 11:46am On Mar 29, 2021
Tyenergie:

how can u use hand gloves to identify a goalkeeper in a crowd of outfield players fighting for a corner kick if he is wearing same Jersey with his teamate or is hand glove worn on the head

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Jazzman01: 11:56am On Mar 29, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Hand gloves alone can’t help in the identification of the goalkeeper. Hence the need for a bright and different jersey from his teammates and opponents.

On the norms, you can only have a goalkeeper in the 18yard box(apart from the rare occasions where you have the opponent goalkeeper coming to attack for a corner kick towards the last minute of the match). Moreover, the goalkeeper coming to the penalty area of his/her opponents doesn’t receive the leverage treatment and protection of a goalkeeper again in the opponents 18yard.

So a goalkeeper needs special outfit which is bright and different from other players on the pitch

Not all goal Keepers put on bright coloured jerseys. There are many that wear complete black.
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by femi4: 12:31pm On Mar 29, 2021
Tyenergie:
Given the fact that I'm not an ardent fan of any sport, but it amazes me to see goalkeepers in a different jersey from their teammates.

I asked myself this question and some thoughts began to run through my mind, but I don't know how genuine they are:

Thought No 1. Could it be for easy identification?

Counter thought: with hand gloves and position, one should easily spot and differentiate goalkeepers from the remaining players.

Thought No 2: could there be a regulation for such a move?

Counter thought: Though it is widely accepted and no country/club has ever defaulted from this regular practice. Then again, if the color of a team can not be suggested by any sport regulatory body, why would they dish out such rule and make it oblivion of public.

Thought No 3: could it be for protection? Owing to the nature of their jersey fabrication.

I've come to seek opinions on this topic from sports enthusiasts and lovers.
One and three.

Only gk flies with his hands hence the need for different outfit. Also, It helps the ref to identify any culprit that handled the ball in the air in the box apart from the gk
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Amotolongbo(f): 3:30pm On Mar 29, 2021
Jazzman01:

Not all goal Keepers put on bright coloured jerseys. There are many that wear complete black.
and there is no black color that is bright and easily captures the attention?
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Jazzman01: 4:19pm On Mar 29, 2021
[s]
Amotolongbo:
and there is no black color that is bright and easily captures the attention?
[/s]

What nonsense are you saying? how can something be black and still be bright? Did you attend physics class at all I don't think you are a science student. Probably one art or commercial riff raff. Even art and commercial students know the characteristics of every colour.
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Amotolongbo(f): 4:31pm On Mar 29, 2021
[s]
Jazzman01:

What nonsense are you saying? how can something be black and still be bright? Did you attend physics class at all I don't think you are a science student. Probably one art or commercial riff raff.
[/s]oops, your brain is paining you.

Illiteracy has made you not to realize that Hue has intensity.

Well, ignorance is the major atribute of fools
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Jazzman01: 5:14pm On Mar 29, 2021
[s]
Amotolongbo:
oops, your brain is paining you.

Illiteracy has made you not to realize that Hue has intensity.

Well, ignorance is the major atribute of fools

[/s]

Riff raff
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Amotolongbo(f): 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2021
[s]
Jazzman01:

Riff raff
attention seeking mofo
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 29, 2021
Surely, it is for identification.
Re: Why Does The Goalkeeper Wear A Jersey Different From Their Teammate? by Tyenergie: 8:47am On Apr 03, 2021
Mods: semid4lyfe, honeric01, lalasticalala. Push it to the FP for a wider view and response. Let's all learn together.

(1) (Reply)

Drogba vs Oba goal / Soccer Trials In Asia / Why I Don’t Have Any Tattoos – Cristiano Ronaldo Reveals!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.