Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,827 members, 7,851,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:30 AM

Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions (11665 Views)

Court Affirms Obaseki Faction As Authentic Candidates / Tribunal Upholds Yahaya Bello's Victory As Kogi Governor, Dismisses Natasha, SDP / Tribunal Commences Hearing On Atiku’s, Other Petitions Against Buhari, APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by garfield1: 11:00pm On Mar 29, 2021
Indispensable85:

I fear our Supreme Court oo... They're penetrable. Even one of the recently retired justices made mention of some strange judgement by the Supreme Court lately. They'll just come up with something and heaven will not fall. Till date I'm still wondering how Hope uzodinma became governor.

Hope uzodinma was rightly declared governor...two boys did expo.the class teacher accepted the answer sheet of one and rejected the one of the other boy.he appealed to the principal who ordered his paper to be marked and he scored higher than the other.same thing happened in ino
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by fergie001: 11:02pm On Mar 29, 2021
Indispensable85:

I fear our Supreme Court oo... They're penetrable. Even one of the recently retired justices made mention of some strange judgement by the Supreme Court lately. They'll just come up with something and heaven will not fall.Till date I'm still wondering how Hope uzodinma became Governor.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by garfield1: 11:06pm On Mar 29, 2021
fergie001:

grin grin grin grin

The chances of obaseki winning at the supreme us 95% except there is a clause that the lower courts ignored
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by fergie001: 11:07pm On Mar 29, 2021
garfield1:
The chances of Obaseki winning at the supreme is 95%, except there is a clause that the lower courts ignored.
The pre-election cases coming first is doing him a lot of favour because it is practically almost the same case filed by the parties in the tribunal.
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by garfield1: 11:12pm On Mar 29, 2021
fergie001:

The pre-election cases coming first is doing him a lot of favour because it is practically almost the same case filed by the parties in the tribunal.

Those at the tribunal have failed to bring new evidences so what do you expect? The best way to remove a governor is to challenge his election based on wrongful collation
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by fergie001: 11:19pm On Mar 29, 2021
garfield1:
Those at the tribunal have failed to bring new evidences so what do you expect? The best way to remove a Governor is to challenge his election based on wrongful collation

Wrongful collation kee? Was there any wrong collation?

They have been asked why they didn't go to UI to enquire, instead of an expert witness. The best case was this one...and there is nothing there.
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by Tvoice: 11:20pm On Mar 29, 2021
Congratulations sir, na who cap fit , dey wear am .
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by garfield1: 11:31pm On Mar 29, 2021
fergie001:

Wrongful collation kee? Was there any wrong collation?

They have been asked why they didn't go to UI to enquire, instead of an expert witness. The best case was this one...and there is nothing there.

You are misapprehending the issues.I said in future,the best way to challenge a governor will be on wrong computation like uzodinma did because the pathway or ingredients needed to prove the case is not tedious...just get hold of the result sheets. .

Even if obaseki cert was forged or fake,he would not be sacked because it is not a ground for disq in section 177 and it is not fundamental in nature as prescribed by the electoral act.only the forgery of ssce or age is fundamental
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by fergie001: 11:41pm On Mar 29, 2021
garfield1:
You are misapprehending the issues.I said in future,the best way to challenge a Governor will be on wrong computation like uzodinma did because the pathway or ingredients needed to prove the case is not tedious...just get hold of the result sheets. .
Wrong computation and collation are two different things.

Well, Uzodinma went away with it, because Ihedioha wasn't Sitting Gov., and he did what we call "sleeping on bike."

With Obaseki as Sitting Gov...it was more difficult....

Again, Imo is always a complicated case. Our Judiciary is always "out of sync" with Imo issues.

Even if obaseki cert was forged or fake,he would not be sacked because it is not a ground for disq in section 177 and it is not fundamental in nature as prescribed by the electoral act.only the forgery of ssce or age is fundamental
Section 177 talks about qualification.
Section 182 talks about grounds for disqualification.

Section 182(1)(j) clearly states;
No person shall be qualified for the Governor of a State if
....he has presented a forged Certificate to INEC.

A forged Certificate presented to INEC runs foul of the law.
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by MightySparrow: 11:53pm On Mar 29, 2021
As wax melteth before fire, let the wicked perish before God. God wins.

Signed Godwin Obaseki.
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by idefua: 12:12am On Mar 30, 2021
Congratulations to his excellency Governor Godwin Obaseki, his deputy Rt honourable Philip Shaibu and the Edo people for standing on the side of democracy
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by garfield1: 12:19am On Mar 30, 2021
fergie001:

Wrong computation and collation are two different things.

Well, Uzodinma went away with it, because Ihedioha wasn't Sitting Gov., and he did what we call "sleeping on bike."

With Obaseki as Sitting Gov...it was more difficult....

Again, Imo is always a complicated case. Our Judiciary is always "out of sync" with Imo issues.

Section 177 talks about qualification.
Section 182 talks about grounds for disqualification.

Section 182(1)(j) clearly states;
No person shall be qualified for the Governor of a State if
....he has presented a forged Certificate to INEC.

A forged Certificate presented to INEC runs foul of the law.

Ihedioha was a sitting governor at the time of his removal,as sworn in on may and removed January 2020.I still remember you mocking me when I raise the issue of him not satisfying the two third requirement...he was rightly removed though it may look controversial because a lot of people do not understand the issues raised by hope the genius.

Though the constitution has really touched on disq in 182 but in previous judgments of the supreme,they usually refer to section 177 and when it comes to forgery of cert or doc,they dismiss it if it doesn't involve school cert...
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by Harrynight(m): 12:28am On Mar 30, 2021
Am very sure oshobaba apc sponsored this small small parties carrying this impossible mission ontop their head
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by fergie001: 12:37am On Mar 30, 2021
garfield1:
Ihedioha was a sitting governor at the time of his removal,as sworn in on may and removed January 2020.I still remember you mocking me when I raise the issue of him not satisfying the two third requirement...he was rightly removed though it may look controversial because a lot of people do not understand the issues raised by hope the genius.
My analogy of a sitting Gov was prior to the election. Obaseki was Gov before September 19....

Some of these things you said can be used to challenge a Gov is difficult for an incumbent who knows what he is doing. Rochas Okorocha was sitting Gov before the March election.

My mocking you was your insistence on 2/3-majority which you maintained there should be a run-off until Otunta announced Ihedioha.

You and I knew, that held no water.... there was no run-off.

If you run that Imo election....squarely again between Hope/Nwosu/Ararume/Ihedioha plenty times....no single candidate will get 18 LGAs unless they write result sheet.

Though the constitution has really touched on disq in 182 but in previous judgments of the supreme,they usually refer to section 177 and when it comes to forgery of cert or doc,they dismiss it if it doesn't involve school cert...
The Supreme Court in all their judgements will never cite Section 177 and not cite Section 182.

I stand to be corrected. Those two sections marry each other.

Mad Lion's didn't involve School Cert...He claimed he graduated from Fed Poly, Mubi which turned out false.
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by Coronavirus1: 12:49am On Mar 30, 2021
congratulations to my able governor
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by garfield1: 1:02am On Mar 30, 2021
fergie001:

My analogy of a sitting Gov was prior to the election. Obaseki was Gov before September 19....

Some of these things you said can be used to challenge a Gov is difficult for an incumbent who knows what he is doing. Rochas Okorocha was sitting Gov before the March election.

My mocking you was your insistence on 2/3-majority which you maintained there should be a run-off until Otunta announced Ihedioha.

You and I knew, that held no water.... there was no run-off.

If you run that Imo election....squarely again between Hope/Nwosu/Ararume/Ihedioha plenty times....no single candidate will get 18 LGAs unless they write result sheet.

The Supreme Court in all their judgements will never cite Section 177 and not cite Section 182.

I stand to be corrected. Those two sections marry each other.

Mad Lion's didn't involve School Cert...He claimed he graduated from Fed Poly, Mubi which turned out false.

There would have been a runoff if ugochinyere and co didn't knock out nwosu.the runoff would have been between only two people either ihedioha and nwosu or hope and ihedioha and only a simple majority will be required this time...

You like resurrecting old issues.even though the grounds of disq between the executives and lawmakers arw similar constitutionally,the apex court treats governors and presidents differently.they protect them.the forgery case that was dismissed against lalong,ayade,wike,dapo will hold water against a senator or reps...mad lion case cannot apply against governors.when it comes to governors,the focus for me is school cert.it is a major reason why degi lost...it is very fundamental unlike other certs.there is a recent judgment I think bayelsa where the judge said even if the bsc is forged,it is not the minimum cert.as far as cert is ok,they are good to go...

In buhari vs atiku,the judges only focused on 177

In summary,uzodinma is very intelligent,the most intelligent politician in the east.he looked at the law and saw a weakness and took advantage.he knew the best way to win was this so he concentrated his energy there.no wonder he outwitted rochas when he was a senator.he hires another smart lawyer in Damian dodo
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by fergie001: 1:44am On Mar 30, 2021
garfield1:

There would have been a runoff if ugochinyere and co didn't knock out nwosu.the runoff would have been between only two people either ihedioha and nwosu or hope and ihedioha and only a simple majority will be required this time...
When will the run-off had taken place?
When Ihedioha was sworn-in, the SC hadn't decided on Nwosu's double nomination status at the time.

Or after the SC judgement?

You like resurrecting old issues.even though the grounds of disq between the executives and lawmakers arw similar constitutionally,the apex court treats governors and presidents differently.they protect them.the forgery case that was dismissed against lalong,ayade,wike,dapo will hold water against a senator or reps...mad lion case cannot apply against governors.when it comes to governors,the focus for me is school cert.it is a major reason why degi lost...it is very fundamental unlike other certs.there is a recent judgment I think bayelsa where the judge said even if the bsc is forged,it is not the minimum cert.as far as cert is ok,they are good to go...

At the bolded, You focus on the School Cert, that's why you think others are less important.

All Certificates are fundamental. The School Certificate is more pronounced because it is the minimum. That means if I am a Professor, I can decide to submit just the minimum and then I am free.

Dapo Abiodun's case was struck out because it was a pre-election issue brought up at the tribunal.

Lalong's was also taken out because it was pre-election matter brought up at the tribunal...and it wasn't about certificates but names.

Ayade's case was for age declaration, and not certificate.... And it wasn't proven beyond any reasonable doubts.

In the Bayelsa case, certificates weren't the issues but names.

In the Elvis Chinda v Wike case, it wasn't proven beyond any reasonable doubts.. secondly, it was status-barred.

What do they mean by something is minimum.
If I submit my SSCE and it is proven OK. I submit my bsc and you are contesting it....you must prove it beyond any reasonable doubts.

Listen, if I have a forged Certificate and I don't present it to INEC, I am safe. There are four or five ingredients that must be established before it can be upheld.

Mad Lion said he graduated from the Federal Poly, Mubi......the Poly testified in Court and said the Certificate was purely fake.

It is different from the ones mentioned.

In buhari vs atiku,the judges only focused on 177
Section 177 is for Governors. There is no how that will be applicable here in Atiku v Buhari & Ors.

Section 131 is for qualification for President...
Section 137 is for disqualification for President.

Similar to Sections 177 & 182.

See, the way Justice Mohammed Garba JSC (JCA at the time) arranged both for clarity...

Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by garfield1: 2:05am On Mar 30, 2021
fergie001:

When will the run-off had taken place?
When Ihedioha was sworn-in, the SC hadn't decided on Nwosu's double nomination status at the time.

Or after the SC judgement?

At the bolded, You focus on the School Cert, that's why you think others are irrelevant.

All Certificates are fundamental. The School Certificate is more pronounced because it is the minimum. That means if I am a Professor, I can decide to submit just the minimum and then I am free.

Dapo Abiodun's case was struck out because it was a pre-election issue brought up at the tribunal.

Lalong's was also taken out because it was pre-election matter brought up at the tribunal...and it wasn't about certificates but names.

Ayade's case was for age declaration, and not certificate.... And it wasn't proven beyond any reasonable doubts.

In the Bayelsa case, certificates weren't the issues but names.

What do they mean by something is minimum.
If I submit my SSCE and it is proven OK. I submit my bsc and you are contesting it....you must prove it beyond any reasonable doubts.

Listen, if I have a forged Certificate and I don't present it to INEC, I am safe. There are four or five ingredients that must be established before it can be upheld.

Mad Lion said he graduated from the Federal Poly, Mubi......the Poly testified in Court and said the Certificate was purely fake.

It is different from the ones mentioned.

I am not familiar with the Wike case.

Section 177 is for Governors. There is no how that will be applicable here in Atiku v Buhari & Ors.

Section 131 is for qualification for President...
Section 137 is for disqualification for President.

Similar to Sections 177 & 182.

See, the way Justice Mohammed Garba JSC (JCA at the time) arranged both for clarity...

The runoff would have taken place after the supreme court judgment that is if nwosu wasnt taken out.infact,the only mistake the supreme court did in declaring uzo was not also taking consideration of the two third requirement while ruling in his favour which would have led us to a runoff.but since otunta who was in a better position to do so failed,I will not blame the apex court.

Degi's change of names affected his certificates fundamentally.

I had always believed that once one submits any forged documents to inec,he stands disq if proven but after the bayelsa case I changed my mind but I think with this your argument,I will revert to status quo...

In ayade case,the court indirectly agreed that ayade may have forged his age but they declared that this would not have made him less than 40 therefore it was not fatal.same thing applied to wike....
In crs,it is commonly believed that ayade was guilty of all he was accused.one of the pdp lawyers said that the court also took consideration of the fact that agi was his lawyer before and knew his secrets and now using it against him is unethical.
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by fergie001: 2:46am On Mar 30, 2021
garfield1:
The runoff would have taken place after the supreme court judgment that is if nwosu wasnt taken out.infact,the only mistake the supreme court did in declaring uzo was not also taking consideration of the two third requirement while ruling in his favour which would have led us to a runoff.but since otunta who was in a better position to do so failed,I will not blame the apex court.
The SC made a mistake. The electoral officer cannot direct for the Courts, it is vice-versa.

All the same, that is now for history students.

Degi's change of names affected his certificates fundamentally.
The SC never said that.

Just like the Ibekwe case, the Courts aren't saying it isn't his document..they are saying the change of name isn't done according to law (something is wrong), just like Degi.

Infact, you are aware Degi was taken to Court after that saga and was Acquitted.

I had always believed that once one submits any forged documents to inec,he stands disq if proven but after the bayelsa case I changed my mind but I think with this your argument,I will revert to status quo...
Ok

In Ayade case,the court indirectly agreed that ayade may have forged his age but they declared that this would not have made him less than 40 therefore it was not fatal.same thing applied to wike....
Once you institute a case vide originating summons, especially one like forgery which is inherently criminal in nature, the procedure must be triable on affidavit evidence.

Agi alleged that while Ayade stated in his Nomination Form that he was born on March 2, 1969; his brother, Frank Ayade, deposed in an age declaration, that he (Ayade) was born on March 2, 1968.

MEANING.....Does Agi have a copy of Ayade's original?
Can he get if from the NPC?
Can the NPC testify on his behalf? etc etc...

How do you know which is forged? His brother's deposition or his? Hence, the forgery was not established.

Again, Section 177(b)...attained the age of 35 years old.

"In politically-oriented litigations, where the allegation of presentation of forged certificate to INEC is in issue, the accusing party must prove that the certificate presented to the INEC was forged and that it was the candidate that presented the certificate and that the two ingredients must be proved beyond reasonable doubt.
(Supreme Court judgements: Audu vs INEC 2010; Maihaja v Geidam 2017; Saleh v Adabah, 2016)

In crs,it is commonly believed that ayade was guilty of all he was accused.one of the pdp lawyers said that the court also took consideration of the fact that agi was his lawyer before and knew his secrets and now using it against him is unethical.
Just like he is doing to Odey.

PS: I hope you know Otunta died yesterday.
garfield1
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by ofiko123(m): 3:49am On Mar 30, 2021
Congratulations to Obaseki.....more wins..
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by Indispensable85(m): 8:05am On Mar 30, 2021
garfield1:

Hope uzodinma was rightly declared governor...two boys did expo.the class teacher accepted the answer sheet of one and rejected the one of the other boy.he appealed to the principal who ordered his paper to be marked and he scored higher than the other.same thing happened in ino

My brother Hope never won that election.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by TotoGame(m): 8:34am On Mar 30, 2021
Indispensable85:

I fear our Supreme Court oo... They're penetrable. Even one of the recently retired justices made mention of some strange judgement by the Supreme Court lately. They'll just come up with something and heaven will not fall. Till date I'm still wondering how Hope uzodinma became governor.

that's what you get when semi illiterate Sharia miscreants are appointed judges up to the supreme court

that section of the constitution that permits the appointment of Sharia scholars to the Court of appeals needs to be scraped
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by Indispensable85(m): 9:00am On Mar 30, 2021
TotoGame:

that's what you get when semi illiterate Sharia miscreants are appointed judges up to the supreme court

that section of the constitution that permits the appointment of Sharia scholars to the Court of appeals needs to be scraped

Who'll scrap it? Nigeria needs a total overhaul of her constitution. So much needs to be done but our legislators are not even ready for the amendments.
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by Indispensable85(m): 9:12am On Mar 30, 2021
fergie001:

The SC made a mistake. The electoral officer cannot direct for the Courts, it is vice-versa.

All the same, that is now for history students.

The SC never said that.

Just like the Ibekwe case, the Courts aren't saying it isn't his document..they are saying the change of name isn't done according to law (something is wrong), just like Degi.

Infact, you are aware Degi was taken to Court after that saga and was Acquitted.

Ok

Once you institute a case vide originating summons, especially one like forgery which is inherently criminal in nature, the procedure must be triable on affidavit evidence.

Agi alleged that while Ayade stated in his Nomination Form that he was born on March 2, 1969; his brother, Frank Ayade, deposed in an age declaration, that he (Ayade) was born on March 2, 1968.

MEANING.....Does Agi have a copy of Ayade's original?
Can he get if from the NPC?
Can the NPC testify on his behalf? etc etc...

How do you know which is forged? His brother's deposition or his? Hence, the forgery was not established.

Again, Section 177(b)...attained the age of 35 years old.

"In politically-oriented litigations, where the allegation of presentation of forged certificate to INEC is in issue, the accusing party must prove that the certificate presented to the INEC was forged and that it was the candidate that presented the certificate and that the two ingredients must be proved beyond reasonable doubt.
(Supreme Court judgements: Audu vs INEC 2010; Maihaja v Geidam 2017; Saleh v Adabah, 2016)

Just like he is doing to Odey.

Degi was taken to court after his disqualification by the Supreme Court but was acqitted of all allegations of forgery. There's something wrong with our judiciary.
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by fergie001: 9:33am On Mar 30, 2021
Indispensable85:
Degi was taken to court after his disqualification by the Supreme Court but was acqitted of all allegations of forgery. There's something wrong with our judiciary.
That is the misconception.

The SC never accused Degi of forgery but on his chameleonic attitude in changing of names.

There are laws that govern the way we change names. I think it was just strictly followed.

Indispensable85:

My brother Hope never won that election.
He knows nah grin
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by Duplexxx: 9:33am On Mar 30, 2021
Obaseki nobody can defeat you you too dey

I hay
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by Skymason20(m): 10:09am On Mar 30, 2021
they should sack ize iyamu apc obaseki pdp from edo state, they are all criminals
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by hubkreatives(m): 11:23am On Mar 30, 2021
digital marketing agency that knows the art of creating your digital presence hub kreatives is a new-age digital marketing services in delhi.
http://hubkreatives.com/digital_marketing.php
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by TinubuGoQuench(f): 12:32pm On Mar 30, 2021
Indispensable85:
They should not go to sleep oo... Na our Supreme Court be ajasco. Very funny recently.

SHUT UP THERE!!!
NO SINGLE SHAME SEF
Re: Tribunal Affirms Obaseki As Governor, Dismisses ADP, 2 Other Petitions by Indispensable85(m): 2:49pm On Mar 30, 2021
TinubuGoQuench:

SHUT UP THERE!!!
NO SINGLE SHAME SEF

You're the most useless thing on the face of the earth.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Court Grants Emefiele N50m Bail / Borno Trains 800 Youths For Civilian JTF / How Buhari Administration Is Lifting Nigerians Out Of Poverty – Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.