Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,665 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

The Yoruba Ifa Divinition Is Full Of Igbo Words With Literal Meanings - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Yoruba Ifa Divinition Is Full Of Igbo Words With Literal Meanings (983 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Yoruba Ifa Divinition Is Full Of Igbo Words With Literal Meanings by Hellraiser77: 9:12pm On Mar 30, 2021
There are lots of proof that the ifa(Afa) Divinition of yoruba was really a hand down from the igbo aboriginals of ile-ife, One such evidence is this verse from the odus of ifa(Afa) taken from the paper by O. Euba titled OF BLUE BEADS AND RED: THE ROLE OF IFE IN THE WEST AFRICAN TRADE IN KORI BEADS in
Journal of the Historical Society of Nigeria
Vol. 11, No. 1/2 (DEC. 1981-JUNE 1982), pp. 109-127 (19 pages)

"In the corpus of the well
known Ifa oracle, we are told that the imi osumare "rainbow excrement, is one of the
instruments Olodumare gave to Orunmila, the god of wisdom, when he sent him down
to better the world. The rainbow serpent is personified as Osumare Ego, the 'wife* of
Orunmila who made him very wealthy in his life time. An Ifa verse recalls wistfully that:
It is Osumare Ego that excretes money
It is Osumare Ego that excretes okun (carnelian beads)
It is Osumare Ego that excretes brass
Osumare Ego, Why won't you return to excrete mine?
Osumare"

This ifa verse is recited for blessings of wealth and riches, And the igbo word for money keeps coming up over and over, Note that the word "Ego" has no meaning in yoruba language grin

3 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Ifa Divinition Is Full Of Igbo Words With Literal Meanings by habsydiamond(m): 9:24pm On Mar 30, 2021
Op.. I hail u ooo... Lori iro

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Ifa Divinition Is Full Of Igbo Words With Literal Meanings by PlayerMeji: 9:45pm On Mar 30, 2021
Half baked arguments...
Re: The Yoruba Ifa Divinition Is Full Of Igbo Words With Literal Meanings by LeoThaGreat(m): 5:11pm On Apr 03, 2021
People the Yòrùbás got introduced to in 1914 by the British. LMAO!
Re: The Yoruba Ifa Divinition Is Full Of Igbo Words With Literal Meanings by Hellraiser77: 9:20pm On Apr 03, 2021
PlayerMeji:
Half baked arguments...
Ifa must be half-baked then, cos i didn't create it

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Ifa Divinition Is Full Of Igbo Words With Literal Meanings by Hellraiser77: 9:22pm On Apr 03, 2021
habsydiamond:
Op.. I hail u ooo... Lori iro
Lori iro with no counter argument

was i the one that put osumare ego in the odus of yoruba ifacheesycheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Ifa Divinition Is Full Of Igbo Words With Literal Meanings by PlayerMeji: 11:18pm On Apr 03, 2021
Hellraiser77:
Ifa must be half-baked then, cos i didn't create it

From what Yoruba translation have you translated your Osumare Ego from?

At least, if you have any arguments, you will do well to quote your Yoruba ifá citations, rather than just writing in English and expecting people to believe that.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me . / Your Last Day On Earth: / 9ja Clothing Shop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.