Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,336 members, 7,954,369 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:46 PM

Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? (1033 Views)

Roofing A Steel House On Site - Shingles Placement / What Is The Name Of That Iron Pipe Under The Car Where Smoke Comes Out Called? / Nigerian Man Visited A Museum In Turkey, Saw Charcoal Iron, Black & White TV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Teophilus96(m): 11:55pm On Mar 31, 2021
Please I have a problem trying to get a steel wool for a project work, but then I'm wondering if the steel wool is not actually the normal iron sponge we use in washing the back of our pots back then. They say that what we are looking for sometimes can be right there under our nose. Please the image below is a steel wool, I'll love to know if it's also the normal iron sponge.

If the steel wool is not an iron sponge, please let me know where I can get it. Thanks.

1 Share

Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by IbnBattuta1960: 11:58pm On Mar 31, 2021
No.
those years, steel wool were for smoked pots.
Steel wool looks like grey cotton wool (exactly the image you posted), while the iron sponge comes like 1mm strands of metal ropes weaved normally in an oval shape.
Just go to any normal market near you and ask for iron sponge.
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Jashub: 11:58pm On Mar 31, 2021
Steel is an alloy that's basically a combination of carbon and iron varied ratios ; while iron is just processed haematite that's been refine. But I'll advise you check a standard mechanic's workshop if you're looking for steel wool.
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Teophilus96(m): 12:06am On Apr 01, 2021
IbnBattuta1960:
No.
Steel wool looks like grey cotton wool (exactly the image you posted), while the iron sponge comes like 1mm strands of metal ropes weaved normally in an oval shape.

Alright. Thanks I appreciate

1 Like

Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Teophilus96(m): 12:06am On Apr 01, 2021
Jashub:
Steel is an alloy that's basically a combination of carbon and iron varied ratios ; while iron is just processed haematite that's been refine. But I'll advise you check a standard mechanic's workshop if you're looking for steel wool.

Exactly, the mechanic workshop. Thanks a lot
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Teophilus96(m): 2:59pm On Apr 06, 2021
Please I have gone round the whole of Owerri in search of the steel wool but I can't find it embarassed can someone please help me with any location or outlet I can get the steel wool?
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Teophilus96(m): 10:14am On Apr 07, 2021
IbnBattuta1960:
No.

Please I need your response. I understand that we call this sponge or maybe not this sponge iron sponge. Don't you think that the name is misleading?

Look at the image below, it's called a steel wool. But from another perspective, one will think it's an iron sponge

Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by IbnBattuta1960: 6:35pm On Apr 07, 2021
Teophilus96:

Please I need your response. I understand that we call this sponge or maybe not this sponge iron sponge. Don't you think that the name is misleading?

Look at the image below, it's called a steel wool. But from another perspective, one will think it's a steel wool
1. The name isn't misleading.
2. Those who have handled both will confirm both are very distinct.
ie, while the steel wool looks exactly like (grey) cotton wool, the iron sponge is knitted like a sponge with revealing holes.
Your image (to which I quoted above) is an iron sponge and not steel wool.
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by IbnBattuta1960: 6:41pm On Apr 07, 2021
Teophilus96:
Please I have gone round the whole of Owerri in search of the steel wool but I can't find it embarassed can someone please help me with any location or outlet I can get the steel wool?
Visit your local market, some of those who sell iron sponge should have the steel wool.
Check those who sell threads for cooking stove, the green scrubbing sponge and other common kitchen items.
The iron sponge is called ògb'ígwè (ògbó ígwè).
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Teophilus96(m): 6:48am On Apr 08, 2021
IbnBattuta1960:

Visit your local market, some of those who sell iron sponge should have the steel wool.
Check those who sell threads for cooking stove, the green scrubbing sponge and other common kitchen items.
The iron sponge is called ògb'ígwè (ògbó ígwè).

Alright. Thanks a lot, I'll visit the Market and give a feedback.

Modified: I went to the market and found what I believe to be a steel wool. Below is a picture of it

Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Teophilus96(m): 6:51am On Apr 08, 2021
IbnBattuta1960:

1. The name isn't misleading.
2. Those who have handled both will confirm both are very distinct.
ie, while the steel wool looks exactly like (grey) cotton wool, the iron sponge is knitted like a sponge with revealing holes.
Your image (to which I quoted above) is an iron sponge and not steel wool.

1. Ok thanks
2. I visit the Market again like someone had said. The image is actually a steel wool from the site I got the image.

It's really confusing.
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Teophilus96(m): 11:18am On Apr 08, 2021
I finally found what I think is a steel wool.

Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by IbnBattuta1960: 4:21pm On Apr 09, 2021
Teophilus96:

Modified: I went to the market and found what I believe to be a steel wool. Below is a picture of it
Exactly.
That vendor should also have iron sponge just incase...
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by IbnBattuta1960: 4:23pm On Apr 09, 2021
Teophilus96:
Bullseye!
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Teophilus96(m): 4:48pm On Apr 09, 2021
IbnBattuta1960:

Exactly.
That vendor should also have iron sponge just incase...

Yeah they do. I initially asked her for all the types of iron sponge she has in the store because I feel she may not know what steel wool is or the description. None of them looks like the steel wool. I was almost heart broken but still didn't give up. I brought out my phone and showed her a picture of the steel wool and to my surprise within a second or two she already knew what it was. I was really happy when I left the store grin

1 Like

Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by IbnBattuta1960: 9:27pm On Apr 10, 2021
Teophilus96:

Yeah they do. I initially asked her for all the types of iron sponge she has in the store because I feel she may not know what steel wool is or the description. None of them looks like the steel wool. I was almost heart broken but still didn't give up. I brought out my phone and showed her a picture of the steel wool and to my surprise within a second or two she already knew what it was. I was really happy when I left the store grin
Glad it's settled smiley

1 Like

Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Jaychyke: 1:49pm On Jun 24, 2023
IbnBattuta1960:

Bullseye!
Hello. I'm in Owerri and I need the steel wool for my project too. Could you please help me with the contact of the steel wool seller? Thank you in advance.
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Jaychyke: 1:52pm On Jun 24, 2023
Teophilus96:
Please I need steel wool too. Would you be kind to share the seller's contact with me, please?
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Teophilus96(m): 12:33pm On Jul 12, 2023
Jaychyke:
Please I need steel wool too. Would you be kind to share the seller's contact with me, please?

Sorry I am just seeing this. You can go to any big shop where they sell cooking materials like pots, plates, pots sponges(especially), tell them to show you the different sponges they have, you'll find one of it to be a steel wool.
Re: Is An Iron Sponge Also Called A Steel Wool? by Teophilus96(m): 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2023
Jaychyke:
Hello. I'm in Owerri and I need the steel wool for my project too. Could you please help me with the contact of the steel wool seller? Thank you in advance.

Go to Ihiagwa market. The part where they sell pots, plates, iron sponges etc. Show them this picture I uploaded here. They will instantly bring it out for you.

(1) (Reply)

AAUE Resumes School Shuns ASUU Strike / Help Solve This...i Have Been On This For 2days.. / Bayero University Increased School Fees (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.