Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed (1866 Views)

Help Decide Toyota Tundra Vs Ford F150 / »»» Regd. Ford Explorer 06 @ N2M Negotiable ««« / »»» Sold!! Toks Ford Explorer 014 @ N12M Negotiable ««« (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Obiwank: 3:34am On Apr 03, 2021
Hi All - I am considering buying either a Honda Pilot or Ford Explorer for use in Nigeria. I will use the vehicle during my vacation at the end of year (hopefully Covid is done by then) and will keep the vehicle for subsequent vacations. Both has 3rd row seats which is important for me given extended family.

I would appreciate views on cost / ease of maintenance and general experience using the cars in Nigeria. Even though I saw quite a number of Fords in Nigeria last trip, I am concerned whether I can get parts and mechanic easily if an emergency happens (especially in the East where I will be spending time)

No need to recommend Toyota Highlander - bought that before and honestly it is more expensive and the 3rd row does not have as much as space as the Honda and Ford.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by johnabraham: 4:42am On Apr 03, 2021
I have used 2012 ford as a daily use vehicle in Lagos. AC parts are too expensive. Vehicle is sturdy and good for city and long drives. Little sensitive vehicle as compared to other Japanese vehicles. Need proper tech and parts. Ford doesn't take abuse. Use proper and recommended fluids only and it will serve you well.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by gasparpisciotta: 4:47am On Apr 03, 2021
For space, Ford Explorer over Honda Pilot

Maintenance depends on the vehicle history, but Ford Explorer is generally more reliable than the Honda Pilot. However since you want to use the car in the eastern part of the country, even though I don’t know much about the competence of mechanics in that area I will still go for Explorer.

Before buying the vehicle do a proper VIN check and review the health status of the car, I believe you will enjoy the Ford over the Pilot.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by PapaMama9ja: 5:29am On Apr 03, 2021
First, your maintenance culture is a major factor. Like someone already said. Ford does not take fake OEMs. No Abuses and can only be handled by competent mechs. However, to save yourself stress, try getting a good ODB scanner to aid problem profiling.

Secondly, Ford Explorer is a beat over Honda Pilot in terms of Safety, more Hp, even fuel efficiency considering the Ecoboost tech.

For rough terrain you may have to also consider explorer as the legs are designed for such rigidity but you must run away from short cut oo.

Peace
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by kingreign(m): 6:05am On Apr 03, 2021
Obiwank:
Hi All - I am considering buying either a Honda Pilot or Ford Explorer for use in Nigeria. I will use the vehicle during my vacation at the end of year (hopefully Covid is done by then) and will keep the vehicle for subsequent vacations. Both has 3rd row seats which is important for me given extended family.

I would appreciate views on cost / ease of maintenance and general experience using the cars in Nigeria. Even though I saw quite a number of Fords in Nigeria last trip, I am concerned whether I can get parts and mechanic easily if an emergency happens (especially in the East where I will be spending time)

No need to recommend Toyota Highlander - bought that before and honestly it is more expensive and the 3rd row does not have as much as space as the Honda and Ford.

Thanks in advance.

Guy, buy none of them.
Pilot had the VCM issues which would later damage their engines, go read about it extensively online.

Ford Explorer of that year, were very unforgiving and quality of parts were questionable. They are quite unreliable and expensive when they get into their elements.

My advice, get an acura MDX.

1 Like

Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by andycom(m): 6:47am On Apr 03, 2021
Ford is a better option to Honda, but if you're going to use it in the east, then get a Honda.
You can get replacement parts for Honda there than for ford.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by zagorakis(m): 7:17am On Apr 03, 2021
Add pictures please
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Obiwank: 3:54pm On Apr 03, 2021
johnabraham:
I have used 2012 ford as a daily use vehicle in Lagos. AC parts are too expensive. Vehicle is sturdy and good for city and long drives. Little sensitive vehicle as compared to other Japanese vehicles. Need proper tech and parts. Ford doesn't take abuse. Use proper and recommended fluids only and it will serve you well.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the response. Will definitely keep in mind.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Obiwank: 3:56pm On Apr 03, 2021
gasparpisciotta:
For space, Ford Explorer over Honda Pilot

Maintenance depends on the vehicle history, but Ford Explorer is generally more reliable than the Honda Pilot. However since you want to use the car in the eastern part of the country, even though I don’t know much about the competence of mechanics in that area I will still go for Explorer.

Before buying the vehicle do a proper VIN check and review the health status of the car, I believe you will enjoy the Ford over the Pilot.

Thanks. I will buy directly myself and ship. I will do a VIN check absolutely and hopefully buy from an individual seller who will provide maintenance records and you can also evaluate the person as part of that decision.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Obiwank: 4:00pm On Apr 03, 2021
PapaMama9ja:
First, your maintenance culture is a major factor. Like someone already said. Ford does not take fake OEMs. No Abuses and can only be handled by competent mechs. However, to save yourself stress, try getting a good ODB scanner to aid problem profiling.

Secondly, Ford Explorer is a beat over Honda Pilot in terms of Safety, more Hp, even fuel efficiency considering the Ecoboost tech.

For rough terrain you may have to also consider explorer as the legs are designed for such rigidity but you must run away from short cut oo.

Peace

Good point - looks like Ford is it based on what I am hearing. Thanks a lot!
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Obiwank: 4:14pm On Apr 03, 2021
kingreign:

Guy, buy none of them.
Pilot had the VCM issues which would later damage their engines, go read about it extensively online.

Ford Explorer of that year, were very unforgiving and quality of parts were questionable. They are quite unreliable and expensive when they get into their elements.

My advice, get an acura MDX.

Thanks for your response. I have really heard very bad things about the Acura brand in general and thats why it is not on my list.

Can you please elaborate on your point on the 2012 Ford? Is there a different year that you think it is better, especially if older (I have no intention of buying anything later than 2012 because it would be too expensive and no need to spend significantly on vacation car)

Would appreciate your insight.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Obiwank: 4:20pm On Apr 03, 2021
andycom:
Ford is a better option to Honda, but if you're going to use it in the east, then get a Honda.
You can get replacement parts for Honda there than for ford.

Thanks. That remains a concern but it appears the Ford's performance vs Honda more than offsets that. I am hoping that nothign happens to the car within the 2/3 weeks I will be actively using it.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by kingreign(m): 6:57pm On Apr 03, 2021
Obiwank:

Thanks for your response. I have really heard very bad things about the Acura brand in general and thats why it is not on my list.

Can you please elaborate on your point on the 2012 Ford? Is there a different year that you think it is better, especially if older (I have no intention of buying anything later than 2012 because it would be too expensive and no need to spend significantly on vacation car)

Would appreciate your insight.

Acura MDX from 2010 upwards were greatly mproved. They're highly complex and sophisticated vehicles than the two other vehicles (Pilot and Explorer) you mentioned. Personally, I know alot of cars that could fit into your bucket list for that 3rd row seats but I'd respect your choices.

Generally, Ford has quality control issues. Their 3.5 duratec whilst being powerful and more refined than the Honda J35 were known to overtime develop issues such as water pump failure which would damage the engine if not caught on time. The water pump is actually designed and placed in the heart of the engine thus making the water pump replacement a night mare job coupled with poor quality control in parts manufacturing.
Their PTO shafts were known to leak oil and damage front differentials, their AC blend actuator or mixer motors and stepper motors were known to act up randomly and start pouring hot air into the cabin when the setting is on cold and that would warrant the needless manual reset of that mixer blend actuator
The 2.0t ecoboost were known to run very hot and also, could rupture into fires. Also, I am not a fan of forced induction because its too many parts running together, generating great amounts of heat and reliability will be down south. Headlights though seemingly bright when you look at them, but aren't the best when you're the one driving especially on populated motor ways.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by FantasticJ: 7:04pm On Apr 03, 2021
kingreign:

Acura MDX from 2010 upwards were greatly mproved. They're highly complex and sophisticated vehicles than the two other vehicles (Pilot and Explorer) you mentioned. Personally, I know alot of cars that could fit into your bucket list for that 3rd row seats but I'd respect your choices.

Generally, Ford has quality control issues. Their 3.5 duratec whilst being powerful and more refined than the Honda J35 were known to overtime develop issues such as water pump failure which would damage the engine if not caught on time. The water pump is actually designed and placed in the heart of the engine thus making the water pump replacement a night mare job coupled with poor quality control in parts manufacturing.
Their PTO shafts were known to leak oil and damage front differentials, their AC blend actuator or mixer motors and stepper motors were known to act up randomly and start pouring hot air into the cabin when the setting is on cold and that would warrant the needless manual reset of that mixer blend actuator
The 2.0t ecoboost were known to run very hot and also, could rupture into fires. Also, I am not a fan of forced induction because its too many parts running together, generating great amounts of heat and reliability will be down south. Headlights though seemingly bright when you look at them, but aren't the best when you're the one driving especially on populated motor ways.

All these your plenty issues only happen when you buy a bad one with bad maintenance record.

I know someone who used the 2012 model like taxi in Lagos for about 4 years without any issue.

He only service the vehicle and it's done at Coscharis motors.

So, Oga, if you buy a good one and maintain it right, you will enjoy the vehicle.

All vehicles have their productions error.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by kingreign(m): 7:14pm On Apr 03, 2021
FantasticJ:

All these your plenty issues only happen when you buy a bad one with bad maintenance record.

I know someone who used the 2012 model like taxi in Lagos for about 4 years without any issue.

He only service the vehicle and it's done at Coscharis motors.

So, Oga, if you buy a good one and maintain it right, you will enjoy the vehicle.

All vehicles have their productions error.
You speak of the person but you don't know what he goes thru to maintain the vehicle so calm down.

You must have deep pockets to maintain a Ford, more so in Nigeria. Anything can go wrong at anytime. My cousin's dad own an Edge 2014, I've been fixing Fords for an organization for years so I know what I am talking about.
I don't want to talk about the ones where dissatisfied customers pull out their faulty Ford vehicles from the dealership and handover to me to fix.

Experience based advice from usage and fixing is what I just offered.

1 Like

Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Otiwaikuku: 7:30pm On Apr 03, 2021
Obiwank:

Thanks in advance.
hi
Based on what you have written,go for Honda Pilot , you can easily sell it off when going back and the technicians are easily available than Ford
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by nedekid: 8:42pm On Apr 03, 2021
Forget Ford. This is naija. You need a car you can easily maintain. A car you can get parts easily any where in the country without going to Ojuelegba.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Obiwank: 6:13pm On Apr 04, 2021
Thanks everyone. This is not proving to be easy. My summary is that while the Ford is good or even superior performance wise, the Honda might just be easier to access repairs especially in the east.

Also for those commenting on re sale, that's not my intention at all. The stress of selling the car after use is just so painful. I will keep and reuse until I get my value as long as I am able to make annual trips.

Though I understand the risk of the vehicle going bad - had happened to me with a 2008 GL 450. I think I now have someone who can lightly use the car while I am gone so it does not go bad.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Obiwank: 6:17pm On Apr 04, 2021
Also speaking of alternatives. I am still tempted to buy the GL450 again but just worried given my prior experience.

Thoughts?
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Icon4s(m): 6:56pm On Apr 04, 2021
Obiwank:
Also speaking of alternatives. I am still tempted to buy the GL450 again but just worried given my prior experience.

Thoughts?

I think I have to add my voice here now.

Don't go for this SUV bro. Thank me later.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Obiwank: 7:05pm On Apr 04, 2021
kingreign:

Thanks. I also noticed that you mentioned that there are other cars you could recommend. Open to hearing your thoughts. Thanks again!
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Obiwank: 7:07pm On Apr 04, 2021
Icon4s:

I think I have to add my voice here now.

Don't go for this SUV bro. Thank me later.

I hear you. Thanks. Though I have been told that the 2008 was specifically problematic but later years are better.
Re: 2012 Honda Pilot Vs Ford Explorer - Advice Needed by Lovecars501(m): 4:25pm On Apr 09, 2021
undecided[url][/url]Not all honda has problemNot all honda has problemNot all honda has problem

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Highlander 2010 Model Forsale / SOLD OUT Gs350 2014 In Ibadan 08069992556@14.5m / 2014 Model Toyota Camry Xle Toks Full Option

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.