Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,942 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Please Read - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Read (3886 Views)

Are You A Programmer? Please READ! / Letter From The Moderator - Please Read / Please Read My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 6:41am On May 08, 2011
csharpjava:

Number_OneWho do you blame, HALF BAKED graduates or HALF BAKED lectures?

You lack the exposure to what a computer science degree course should really be like, with the right lecturers and resources no one will come here asking for help.

You cannot teach someone programming with pseudo codes and algorithms without first showing them the codes, you guys like doing your things the opposite way so that people can worship you.

with the right lecturers and resources no one will come here asking for help.
I disagree 100% with you. Even with my level, I still seek help. My department has a forum for each module and everyone needs help in one way or the other. BUT, if someone want's to learn a language, that language obviously has a documentation and also, a tutorial. There are too many books on earth that can teach you that language. If you want to learn and am just feeding you with code then you are going to be ABSOLUTE rubbish. You keep going on and on about pseudo codes. I ddnt say you should ALWAYS give that. I just used it as an example.
I don't think you can teach someone a language on this forum, rather you give the person sources to learn and then AID not solve when things get though.

I have received a couple of emails(and more still keep coming) from people from this forum wanting me to teach them programming. Now of course i can decide to give them codes, blah blah blah so what? Instead I gave them books to use, links to use and so on. If I use your method, they would only fix a problem when am present. I give you a code that uses a loop to print out numbers from one to 100. If someone asks you to do it in the reverse order what do you do?? You just get bloody STUCK. Why? because i just gave you code that does it from 1-100 without letting you think of how you can do it. Syntax is one thing but the main thing is the ability to come up with a solution, an ALGORITHM. Now the next thing is to implement this algorithm. So whats next? you dont know how to do something over and over again(the syntax), fine!!. I'll give you a hint. What is it? Look up loops on the java tutorials(assume am using java).

Now I have allowed he/she to look up loops him/herself. This person is going to understand the concept of loops and would be able to play with it in anyway. I like the way "2muchlogic" and "segsalerty" fully understand my points. Dunno why you have refused to. One thing you need to understand is, I moderate 5 forums out of about 12 which I am a full member of. This is the only forum amongst others where this is practiced.

In one way or the other everyone loves free things but you need to understand 1 thing. Nothing in life is free!!!!!!!

you guys like doing your things the opposite way so that people can worship you.
HUH??
Re: Please Read by NumberOne2(m): 10:29am On May 08, 2011
I can't believe I got into this argument in the first place. It's futile. Everyone knows that its better to teach a man to fish than to feed him with fish.
Everyone except csharpjava.
Re: Please Read by csharpjava(m): 11:05am On May 08, 2011
Everyone knows that its better to teach a man to fish than to feed him with fish

And how do you teach a man to fish, tell him to go and read it in a book grin No you take him to the river and you show him step by step how it is done, there after he can read a  book if he wants to have a technical understanding. Same with programming you give out the code first and then they can read the rest in a book.

On this site you will see loads of code to help those that are trying to learn programming: http://www.java2s.com/Code/JavaAPI/CatalogJavaAPI.htm
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 2:40pm On May 08, 2011
Number_One:

I can't believe I got into this argument in the first place. It's futile. Everyone knows that its better to teach a man to fish than to feed him with fish.
Everyone except csharpjava.

Yeah i agree. I ain't gonna say anything again because of 1 person
Re: Please Read by ezeuba(m): 11:19pm On May 08, 2011
I am no guru in any language, but I do know some php which comes in handy for me with my web design jobs. Sometimes I get into a snag and I go to forums and ask questions, I also post some of my code, with some editing anyway but basically outlining the issues I'm having with the code. Most times I get responses which are basically edited versions of the code I sent in, with highlights of the problem areas. Sometimes I get responses which just explain where and where I need to do some work on the code and why. Sometimes I have to re-edit the edited code again to suit my purposes, sometimes too I end up re-editing the code based on the hints given in the responses I get. Quite a few times as well, I've had to nearly bite myself for not seeing the obvious mistakes in my code after I get some hints. What this means to me on the whole is that any which way you get help with programming, one cardinal thing is to read the help code and study it to see where you went wrong and what you got wrong. That way you can churn out better code next time.
Cheers.
Re: Please Read by csharpjava(m): 5:19am On May 09, 2011
A kid can easily master pseudo codes and algorithms in no time but what separates the boys from the men is software architecture or analysis, modelling and design. You can find out more about some of the processes that are required at this link http://www.agiledata.org/essays/objectOrientation101.html. So guys relax pseudo codes and algorithms are no big deal. Programming should be fun for those trying to learn it, so let us continue to provide codes for those who need codes.
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 12:05am On Jun 14, 2011
Highly doubt that

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Coding A Responsive Slider (HTML, CSS & JAVASCRIPT) / How To Be A Hacker / Chemistry! Help A Brother To Solve These Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.