Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Family Relocation Advice Needed - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Family Relocation Advice Needed (2160 Views)

Relocation Advice On Skill To Learn. / Family Relocation Suggestions And Directions Needed / Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Family Relocation Advice Needed by lyfisgud(m): 9:34pm On Apr 03, 2021
Dear Nairalanders,

Please I need first hand/concrete advice from you guys, I am a 36yrs old married man with 2 kids, a business man that shuttles between Nigeria and Ghana.

I just made up my mind to relocate my family out of Nigeria for the kids (5yrs & 1yr) to have access to quality education, serene and peaceful environment, my plan is to enroll my kids in school and also get something doing for my wife over there while i stay back in Africa to continue my business.

I am looking for a country where communication wont be a problem(English), where cost of living is cheap/average(Rent, Bills and school fees), what kinda short course i can enroll my wife on(She's got only SSCE level of education but she has baking experience cos she attended a baking school few years ago).

The sum of 10m is available towards the relocation process but can easily be raised to 13m by Sept 2021, anyone and everyone with knowledge, advice and experience should please drop a word or two to help me.
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by Nicoswit(m): 10:36pm On Apr 03, 2021
Since ur reason for relocation is quality education and peaceful environment for ur family...there are african countries that will surely give you that...you don't have to go through rigorous process of white countries...by the way ur kids will experience racism in school
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by Cybercop2002: 12:08am On Apr 04, 2021
Nicoswit:
Since ur reason for relocation is quality education and peaceful environment for ur family...there are african countries that will surely give you that...you don't have to go through rigorous process of white countries...by the way ur kids will experience racism in school
racism is real and getting worse will sooner expand to a full scale crackdown activity
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by lyfisgud(m): 7:21am On Apr 04, 2021
Nicoswit:

Thanks for your input, I understand the racism part and it's almost everywhere.

Which other African country looks or feels American /European in terms of infrastructure, quality education, serene and peaceful environment, security and not too high cost of living for a family, I have only been to cote d voire, Togo, Rwanda and Ghana.
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by Historicalee: 7:51am On Apr 04, 2021
lyfisgud:

Which other African country looks or feels American /European in terms of infrastructure, quality education, serene and peaceful environment, security and not too high cost of living for a family, I have only been to cote d voire, Togo, Rwanda and Ghana.

Tunisia
South Africa
Namibia
Kenya

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by Nicoswit(m): 8:14am On Apr 04, 2021
lyfisgud:

Namibia and Botswana....I would have recommend south africa but it is a No for Nigerians
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by BENARI: 3:08pm On Apr 04, 2021
Nicoswit:

Namibia and Botswana....I would have recommend south africa but it is a No for Nigerians

Are they welcoming of Nigerians?
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by AfriqueDuZuid: 3:24pm On Apr 04, 2021
BENARI:

Truth is lots of Nigerians have tarnished the name so bad, even in Botswana and Namibia
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by AfriqueDuZuid: 3:28pm On Apr 04, 2021
BENARI:

Although Southern African people are welcoming, as long you become a good law abiding person
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by BENARI: 3:51pm On Apr 04, 2021
AfriqueDuZuid:

Truth is lots of Nigerians have tarnished the name so bad, even in Botswana and Namibia

Exactly my point. I find myself in a similar shoe to the OP. I am completely unwilling to move to a white man's country. I really wish I could settle freely in any of those two countries.

Please have you spent time there or know anyone close to you who have?
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by AfriqueDuZuid: 4:11pm On Apr 04, 2021
BENARI:

Exactly my point. I find myself in a similar shoe to the OP. I am completely unwilling to move to a white man's country. I really wish I could settle freely in any of those two countries.

Please have you spent time there or know anyone close to you who have?

Im South african

What's your profession?
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by Nicoswit(m): 4:48pm On Apr 04, 2021
BENARI:

Being a Nigerian should not an issue so far you are law abiding
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by Nicoswit(m): 4:52pm On Apr 04, 2021
AfriqueDuZuid:

Although Southern African people are welcoming, as long you become a good law abiding person
That won't really work for a Nigerian....an average South African doesn't want Nigerians in their country whether law abiding or not
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by BENARI: 5:17pm On Apr 04, 2021
AfriqueDuZuid:

Im South african

What's your profession?

O nice!

I'm a financial Consultant, an Angel investor, and an Entrepreneur.
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by niyogeol(m): 5:33pm On Apr 04, 2021
Hello lyfisgud,

In my view, looking to move your kids and wife abroad while you stay in Nigeria is something you should reconsider.

Again, if you are sceptical about racism, you should allow your kids do secondary education in Nigeria and send them abroad for their bachelors. Many bachelor programs run for 3 years in the UK. I am saying this because of the cash you seem to be making from your business. In addition to the fact that your kids would have developed some level of self awareness and confidence doing their secondary education in Nigeria which would come handy for them in a predominantly caucasian society since your choice is Europe or USA/Canada.

The high point of the above is that only few countries offer structured pathways to gaining permanent residency cum citizenship. It is something you should think of critically. Without necessary papers, life abroad is not something you want to subject your family to.

But if you insist on the move, let your wife move to say UK or Canada for studies. She should do "Nursing" preferably in the UK, and any other course in Canada. For Canada, once she gets study visa, she is certain of becoming a permanent resident after a few years through the numerous pathways available.

PS: Don't move to a country where it is not certain of getting papers. Especially as you are already married - which has ruled out some stuff people do to get their papers. Good luck.
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by AfriqueDuZuid: 6:13pm On Apr 04, 2021
BENARI:

O nice!

I'm a financial Consultant, an Angel investor, and an Entrepreneur.

Angel investor?

Entrepreneurs? What do you specialize in?
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by AfriqueDuZuid: 6:17pm On Apr 04, 2021
Nicoswit:

That won't really work for a Nigerian....an average South African doesn't want Nigerians in their country whether law abiding or not

And you are?

Where do you stay?

As I stated Nigerians have built a very negative reputation making Nigeriaans less desirable, not just in South Africa across many countries. I also stated southern African countries are more welcoming.
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by lyfisgud(m): 8:00pm On Apr 04, 2021
niyogeol:
Hello lyfisgud,

In my view, looking to move your kids and wife abroad while you stay in Nigeria is something you should reconsider.

Again, if you are sceptical about racism, you should allow your kids do secondary education in Nigeria and send them abroad for their bachelors. Many bachelor programs run for 3 years in the UK. I am saying this because of the cash you seem to be making from your business. In addition to the fact that your kids would have developed some level of self awareness and confidence doing their secondary education in Nigeria which would come handy for them in a predominantly caucasian society since your choice is Europe or USA/Canada.

The high point of the above is that only few countries offer structured pathways to gaining permanent residency cum citizenship. It is something you should think of critically. Without necessary papers, life abroad is not something you want to subject your family to.

But if you insist on the move, let your wife move to say UK or Canada for studies. She should do "Nursing" preferably in the UK, and any other course in Canada. For Canada, once she gets study visa, she is certain of becoming a permanent resident after a few years through the numerous pathways available.

PS: Don't move to a country where it is not certain of getting papers. Especially as you are already married - which has ruled out some stuff people do to get their papers. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation, I'll look into the nursing program for my wife in the UK. One very quick question, do I have apply for my wife and have my kids as dependent while I'm the sponsor or do I have to apply for wife, apply for my son(5yrs) and have my daughter(1yr) as dependent while I'm the sponsor?
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by niyogeol(m): 8:59pm On Apr 04, 2021
lyfisgud:

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation, I'll look into the nursing program for my wife in the UK. One very quick question, do I have apply for my wife and have my kids as dependent while I'm the sponsor or do I have to apply for wife, apply for my son(5yrs) and have my daughter(1yr) as dependent while I'm the sponsor?
In the UK or Canada, you and your kids automatically become dependent on your wife once her application is granted; you guys can file alongside her own application or join at a later time. The means (proof of fund) is the major thing you need to factor and make plans for same as they have monetary requirements for different family size.

You also need to prove ties to your country. So that they won't say your intention is to japa. Cheers.
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by ppforte: 7:39am On Apr 05, 2021
AfriqueDuZuid:

And you are?

Where do you stay?

As I stated Nigerians have built a very negative reputation making Nigeriaans less desirable, not just in South Africa across many countries. I also stated southern African countries are more welcoming.

Russians have a negative reputation across the USA n UK but you don't see them getting attacked.

Treat a problem individually, and don't bring in the entire country into it, moreover, it's terrible to kill people on the street. Don't u have laws
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by AfriqueDuZuid: 7:49am On Apr 05, 2021
ppforte:

Russians have a negative reputation across the USA n UK but you don't see them getting attacked.

Treat a problem individually, and don't bring in the entire country into it, moreover, it's terrible to kill people on the street. Don't u have laws

Difference with Russia its what media say, it's governments to government attacks I know a couple of Russians best people you could ever meet.

With Nigeria we see it on day to day basis, we see their arrests everyday, just last week 6 nigerians we arrested for drugs and human traficking. 2 nigerian pastors in for rape money laundering
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by AfriqueDuZuid: 7:53am On Apr 05, 2021
ppforte:

Who was killed on the streets?

Staistics have shown that Nigerians are killing nigerians in South Africa
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by Matheusmartin: 7:59am On Apr 05, 2021
U want to relocate your kids and wife, while u remain back here and continue to work your ass out for them...

Naso suffer head dey hungry you

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by ppforte: 8:05am On Apr 05, 2021
AfriqueDuZuid:

Who was killed on the streets?

Staistics have shown that Nigerians are killing nigerians in South Africa

Most southern Africa people are envious and a pile of sh***t..

Every other Africans does crime too? You attack businesses And kill other African nationals just because of hatred nothing else.

Crime is crime and should be dealt with but to people who commit the crime only.
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by AfriqueDuZuid: 8:36am On Apr 05, 2021
ppforte:

Most southern Africa people are envious and a pile of sh***t..

Every other Africans does crime too? You attack businesses And kill other African nationals just because of hatred nothing else.

Crime is crime and should be dealt with but to people who commit the crime only.

Who was killed? Any starts of people being killed?

Vile are people who travel 5000 km to a place only to sell drugs, do human trafficking, scams etc

No South African goes to Nigeria and do crime

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by ppforte: 1:06pm On Apr 05, 2021
AfriqueDuZuid:

Vile are people who travel 5000 km to a place only to sell drugs, do human trafficking, scams etc

Don't u have laws? Does it include jungle justice ?
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by AfriqueDuZuid: 2:03pm On Apr 05, 2021
ppforte:

Don't u have laws? Does it include jungle justice ?

Grow and develop your own stop moaning about others

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by justwise(m): 3:10pm On Apr 05, 2021
AfriqueDuZuid:

This is not about just Nigerians and their crimes in SA, SA in general have issues with other African immigrants especially those who are doing well. I couldn’t careless how Nigerian drug dealers and scammers are treated, but it’s no secret that South Africans are not friendly to other African immigrants including those who are not known for their crimes.

2 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by justwise(m): 3:15pm On Apr 05, 2021
AfriqueDuZuid:

Grow and develop your own stop moaning about others

Saying this in 2021 shows how little you know about history.

People have always travel for several reasons including Europeans and Americans despite their wealth and developed economies you still see them moving to other countries for Job.
Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by AfriqueDuZuid: 3:18pm On Apr 05, 2021
justwise:

Saying this in 2021 shows how little you know about history.

People have always travel for several reasons including Europeans and Americans despite their wealth and developed economies you still see them moving to other countries for Job.

Not enmasse like we see from countries like Nigeria

Others dying in the Mediterranean sea, sold to slavery in Libya etc

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Advice Needed by AfriqueDuZuid: 3:20pm On Apr 05, 2021
justwise:

This is not about just Nigerians and their crimes in SA, SA in general have issues with other African immigrants especially those who are doing well. I couldn’t careless how Nigerian drug dealers and scammers are treated, but it’s no secret that South Africans are not friendly to other African immigrants including those who are. It known for their crimes.

No secrete to who?

Have you been to South Africa?

I've been to Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Cameroon Botswana, Namibia Lesotho, Morocco etc

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria International Passport Enquiry / Please Is It Possible For NDLEA To Hold A Package That Is Not Related To Drugs? / The Uk Is A One-city Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.