Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,640 members, 7,823,817 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

My Question About Northern Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Question About Northern Nigeria (711 Views)

30 Northern Youths Hiding Behind Baskets Of Pepper Inside Trailer Caught In Ogun / Nigerian Living In Mexico. Ask Me Any Question About Life Here / Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Question About Northern Nigeria by Lostchild(m): 1:02pm On Apr 04, 2021
Travel people ; My Greetings to you all.

I am a chronic lover of nature, travel and sightseeing.

Sometime back In 2009 I traveled to Lagos for the first time where I met a brother that was speaking a language that seem very strange and funny in my ears.

Out of curiosity I asked him. What language do you speak?

He told me the forgetable name and the part of Nigeria (middle belt) or Koggi state to be precise.

Out of curiosity I asked him once more, can you speak hausa?

He replied me with a (Yes)

He told me that he has lived in nearly to all northern state of Nigeria

He told me that many northerners speak hausa because hausa language seem like a general language of the north

He plainly told me that Hausas are not many.

He told me that there is the wrong misconception that hausa's are many. He plainly told me once more that hausa's people are not that many by population as they say

I told him that we the southerners think nearly to everyone from the north are hausa's

He said the reason why we southerners think hausa's are the majority is because most northerners can speak hausa's language just as every southerners can speak pidgin/english

They always told we southerners that hausas are the majority and someone from the north told me hausa's are not many in the north

How true is this?
Re: My Question About Northern Nigeria by Jashub: 1:11pm On Apr 04, 2021
Completely not true. Hausas are the majority up north which is why the lingua franca of that region is Hausa language. It is true that other tribes like Gbagyi, Nupe, Zuru, Kaje, Ka Goma and co speak Hausa, but it is them that form the bulk of the minority dwelling in Northern Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: My Question About Northern Nigeria by Soolmus: 1:11pm On Apr 04, 2021
India , Pakistan , Nepal and Sri Lanka speak Hindu, but they are very different people, racially or ethnicity... Hindu was adopted because of trade that existed in that territory

Mandarin or Chinese is also an example

Hausa are majority tribe with over 41 million people, and they hold the cities for trans Sahara trade , so many Northerners speak Hausa because it's like the lingual franca and major connecting factor from Cameroon, Niger ,Chad to Ghana

1 Like

Re: My Question About Northern Nigeria by Lostchild(m): 1:36pm On Apr 04, 2021
Jashub:
Completely not true. Hausas are the majority up north which is why the lingua franca of that region is Hausa language. It is true that other tribes like Gbagyi, Nupe, Zuru, Kaje, Ka Goma and co speak Hausa, but it is them that form the bulk of the minority dwelling in Northern Nigeria

I asked this question because I love to learn, confirm to know the real truth.

Thanks for you reply

1 Like

Re: My Question About Northern Nigeria by Lostchild(m): 1:43pm On Apr 04, 2021
Soolmus:
India , Pakistan , Nepal and Sri Lanka speak Hindu, but they are very different people, racially or ethnicity... Hindu was adopted because of trade that existed in that territory

Mandarin or Chinese is also an example

Hausa are majority tribe with over 41 million people, and they hold the cities for trans Sahara trade , so many Northerners speak Hausa because it's like the lingual franca and major connecting factor from Cameroon, Niger ,Chad to Ghana

I asked this question out of curiosity.

I admire my nothern brothers from the north as I always see them here everyday as they go about their business

I, myself cannot even different the Hausa's from the fulanis because I am a novice when it comes to anything concerning Nigeria

I am happy when see many of them here in the south as they focuse on their hustles.

Thank you for replying and answering my question.

1 Like

Re: My Question About Northern Nigeria by Limassol(m): 5:03pm On Apr 04, 2021
Lostchild:
Travel people ; My Greetings to you all.

I am a chronic lover of nature, travel and sightseeing.

Sometime back In 2009 I traveled to Lagos for the first time where I met a brother that was speaking a language that seem very strange and funny in my ears.

Out of curiosity I asked him. What language do you speak?

He told me the forgetable name and the part of Nigeria (middle belt) or Koggi state to be precise.

Out of curiosity I asked him once more, can you speak hausa?

He replied me with a (Yes)

He told me that he has lived in nearly to all northern state of Nigeria

He told me that many northerners speak hausa because hausa language seem like a general language of the north

He plainly told me that Hausas are not many.

He told me that there is the wrong misconception that hausa's are many. He plainly told me once more that hausa's people are not that many by population as they say

I told him that we the southerners think nearly to everyone from the north are hausa's

He said the reason why we southerners think hausa's are the majority is because most northerners can speak hausa's language just as every southerners can speak pidgin/english

They always told we southerners that hausas are the majority and someone from the north told me hausa's are not many in the north

How true is this?

That's not entirely true. Out of the north 19 states, 7 states(the north west) are dominated by purely ethnic Hausas. As illustrated below:

Kano 90% ethnic hausa
Katsina 95%.........
Kaduna 65%........
Jigawa 96%........
Sokoto 90%.......
Zamfara 70% ........
Kebbi 60%. ... ..

So Hausa's are clearly the majority in North west. While in north East they are not the majority but also has significant populations and of course the language is widely spoken.

In North central they are somewhat minorities but still have significant populations especially in Niger and Jos and of course the language is easily understood by locals.
Re: My Question About Northern Nigeria by Lostchild(m): 11:58pm On Apr 04, 2021
Limassol:

That's not entirely true. Out of the north 19 states, 7 states(the north west) are dominated by purely ethnic Hausas. As illustrated below:

Kano 90% ethnic hausa
Katsina 95%.........
Kaduna 65%........
Jigawa 96%........
Sokoto 90%.......
Zamfara 70% ........
Kebbi 60%. ... ..

So Hausa's are clearly the majority in North west. While in north East they are not the majority but also has significant populations and of course the language is widely spoken.

In North central they are somewhat minorities but still have significant populations especially in Niger and Jos and of course the language is easily understood by locals.

OK:
Good Good Good

Thanks for the lecture.

(1) (Reply)

Nin Dropping On Immigration Portal. / Proof Of Finance Inquiry / Extreme Close Up Pictures Of Animal Eyes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.