Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner (1304 Views)

I Wish You The Best: LP Candidate in Plateau, Dakum Makes Phone Call To Winner / Top 10 Nigeria Tribes That Are Totally Landlocked. / End Of Boko Haram Will Come Sooner Than Later - VP Osinbajo Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by cupidFlint(m): 6:49am On Apr 06, 2021
Now it makes sense!

As a patriotic citizen of Nigeria and someone who has lived in this country for the majority of my life, I thought I knew every single thing there was to know about Nigeria.

That was not until I saw a tweet by WTFFacts about Nigeria and couldn't believe it (that tweet is #5 on today's list). So, I went scavenging to see what other funny Nigerian facts I didn't know about and I'm happy to report back that I have found 10 good ones.
Source: https://vocal.media/fyi/10-nigeria-fun-facts-you-ll-wish-you-knew-sooner

Are you ready to dive in and read them? Then let's go!
1. The 1964 Civil War Was PAUSED Because of Football
You heard that right. In 1964, during the civil war, there was a 2 day pause in the war because Nigerians wanted to watch Pelé play.

Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by cupidFlint(m): 6:50am On Apr 06, 2021
2. 95% of Nigerians Don't Check Expiring Dates
Ask yourself if you're Nigerian or a Nigerian person you know if you're non-Nigerian what the expiry date of what they're eating is and I can almost bet you money they probably have no idea.

Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by cupidFlint(m): 6:51am On Apr 06, 2021
3. A Woman Can Sue a Man if He Doesn't Marry Her After Proposing
Yup! This is a real Nigerian rule. According to the Nigerian Breach of Contract to Marry, if a man proposes to a woman and then suddenly calls off the marriage, the woman is within her rights to sue him

Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by cupidFlint(m): 6:52am On Apr 06, 2021
4. 'African Time' Is Default Time in Nigeria
CPT (Colored People Time) in America refers to the notion that for most black people when given a time for a program or occasion, come much later than the given time. So, if told a program starts by 12pm, expect people to start really showing up by 2pm.

In Nigeria, we call this 'African Time' and it is the norm. If you tell a random Nigerian to come somewhere by 10am, expect to see them by 1pm.

1 Like

Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by cupidFlint(m): 6:53am On Apr 06, 2021
5. The Nigerian Police Force Was Formed...
On April Fool's Day. Yup! On April 1, 1930, the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) was formed.

Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by cupidFlint(m): 6:54am On Apr 06, 2021
6. Nigerians Answer Questions With Questions.
This is a funny fact best described by a short story I read online. The story goes that a British man once heard that Nigerians answer questions with questions. So on arriving at the Nigerian airport, he asked a young man, “Excuse me, is it true that Nigerians answer questions with questions?” to which the young man replied, “Who told you?”

2 Likes

Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Monogamy: 6:54am On Apr 06, 2021
That number six heh, I am so guilty as anything... grin
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by cupidFlint(m): 6:55am On Apr 06, 2021
7. Travel To The UK Once Didn't Need VISA
Yes. Before 1984, a travel visa was not required to travel to the United Kingdom. This all changed of course after the Dikko Affair.

Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by cupidFlint(m): 6:57am On Apr 06, 2021
8. Nigeria Holds The Record For...
Most fried dough balls made in 8 hours by a team.

Yup! According to the Guinness Book of World Records,

The most fried dough balls made in 8 hours by a team is 38,897 achieved by Dangote Flour Mills Plc (Nigeria), in Lagos, Nigeria, on 27 October 2018.

Dough balls are known as puff puffs in Nigeria.

9. Nigeria Also Holds The Record For...
Longest duration spinning a plate on the finger.

Remember in primary or secondary school, there was always that person that knew how to spin book or plate. Well, Nigeria apparently holds the record for that craft. According to the Guinness Book of World Records,
The longest duration spinning a plate on the finger is 2 hr 14 sec, and was achieved by Esochaghi Victor (Nigeria), in Enugu sports club, Enugu, Nigeria, 21 July 2019.

Esochaghi attempted the record as a personal achievement

Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by MickzyDonald: 6:58am On Apr 06, 2021
No 2 is very true, most people take stuffs without going through the expiry date, even after it has expired sef you will still hear "IT'S STILL CONSUMABLE" grin
No one can also compete for the puff puff position sef grin its our thing
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by TheEnygma(m): 6:58am On Apr 06, 2021
lol funny thread....
I'm still finding it hard to believe number 1 but t I'll go and do more research on it.
number 5 actually explains why the force is so useless.
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by cupidFlint(m): 6:58am On Apr 06, 2021
10. Lagos REALLY is Over-Populated
No, it's not just talk. There really are too many people in Lagos. Even though Lagos State is the smallest state, yes, the SMALLEST state in the country by surface area (i.e. by space), it still occupies the most people in the country.

In fact, according to research the city of Lagos’ population is more than all of the eastern United States combined

Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by gambia(m): 7:16am On Apr 06, 2021
The Africa Time stuff is so annoying, people dont keep to normal for meetings, occasions, events and even office resumption time.
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Kuaadoo(m): 7:47am On Apr 06, 2021
grin
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by ThumbzTNA(m): 8:00am On Apr 06, 2021
Nice post

I just knew it will be an Igbo person that will have the Guinness World Record. Igbos are world class achievers
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Sammy07: 8:03am On Apr 06, 2021
The Post is accurate grin
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by BigSarah(f): 8:07am On Apr 06, 2021
ThumbzTNA:
Nice post

I just knew it will be an Igbo person that will have the Guinness World Record. Igbos are world class achievers

Don't start,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 06, 2021
no 3
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Legalcriminal: 8:19am On Apr 06, 2021
No 4 and 6 is in our blood.
Our elders are the cause for no 6
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Exmilitant(m): 8:32am On Apr 06, 2021
I disagree with no.1, there was no civil war in nigeria in '64. The civil war happened between '67 and early 70. Nice write up though.
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by ThumbzTNA(m): 8:35am On Apr 06, 2021
BigSarah:
Don't start
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 06, 2021
Nice thread smiley smiley Good to learn something different.
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Nicklaus619(m): 9:23am On Apr 06, 2021
cupidFlint:
This is a funny fact best described by a short story I read online. The story goes that a British man once heard that Nigerians answer questions with questions. So on arriving at the Nigerian airport, he asked a young man, “Excuse me, is it true that Nigerians answer questions with questions?” to which the young man replied, “Who told you?”

Mad oh cheesy
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Nicklaus619(m): 9:26am On Apr 06, 2021
cupidFlint:
Now it makes sense!

As a patriotic citizen of Nigeria and someone who has lived in this country for the majority of my life, I thought I knew every single thing there was to know about Nigeria.

That was not until I saw a tweet by WTFFacts about Nigeria and couldn't believe it (that tweet is #5 on today's list). So, I went scavenging to see what other funny Nigerian facts I didn't know about and I'm happy to report back that I have found 10 good ones.
Source: https://vocal.media/fyi/10-nigeria-fun-facts-you-ll-wish-you-knew-sooner

Are you ready to dive in and read them? Then let's go!
1. The 1964 Civil War Was PAUSED Because of Football
You heard that right. In 1964, during the civil war, there was a 2 day pause in the war because Nigerians wanted to watch Pelé play.

Legend cool
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 06, 2021
cupidFlint:
7. Travel To The UK Once Didn't Need VISA
Yes. Before 1984, a travel visa was not required to travel to the United Kingdom. This all changed of course after the Dikko Affair.
During Buhari's regime
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by FatherOfJesus: 10:34am On Apr 06, 2021
cupidFlint:
5. The Nigerian Police Force Was Formed...
On April Fool's Day. Yup! On April 1, 1930, the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) was formed.

Now I see why they make a fool of themselves
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by willybaby(m): 10:38am On Apr 06, 2021
cupidFlint:
this one got me laughing hard
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Liposure: 10:54am On Apr 06, 2021
Unbelievable
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 06, 2021
Nice one op.

Here's another fun fact for y'all

Nigeria officially broke up on October, 2022.

I know cos I just came back from the future. wink
Re: 10 Nigeria Fun Facts You'll Wish You Knew Sooner by cupidFlint(m): 12:50pm On Apr 06, 2021
Onojanson:
During Buhari's regime
it ended during Buhari's regime.. meaning he loves to end good things

(1) (Reply)

You Represent A Terrorist Government, Man Tells Super Falcons In Vienna, Austria / Nnamdi kanu De Facto Governor-General of South Eastern States [Photos] / Angry Delta Youths Raid Kidnappers’ Hideouts, Burn Bandits Alive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.