Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,540 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. (15308 Views)

How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths / Why Your High JAMB Score Is No Guarantee For Admission / JAMB: UTME Score No Guarantee For Admission Into University, Polytechnic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 1:43pm On Apr 10, 2021
Though we have some exceptions, formal education isn't always a guarantee for success especially in a country like Nigeria in this fast changing world.

Apparently, a large number of people especially in Nigeria believe that all the problems of life is only solved in the classroom which is an extremely poor way of reasoning as we have a lot of graduates who spent quality years of their lives at school with nothing solid to show for it except for knowledge of facts and figures and maybe by grace, a mediocre job.

Most graduates with good degrees are painfully left without jobs and some who managed to find one end up with low paying jobs given the circumstances, some even get employed by people who never attained the level of education they have.

Another obvious thing is that when most students graduate, they graduate at ages society deem old enough to settle and be financially independent such as ages between 27 - 35 - ages that seem like a bad and delayed start for life establishment especially as a man.

I mean if a guy graduates at such age,

At when will he get a job?
When then will he be financially stable?
When will he have enough to build a home?
When will he have enough to cater for a family?
Won't it most likely translate to perpetual poverty if he closes his eyes and starts a family?

And if a lady graduates at such age?

At when will she be financially independent if it is her desire?
When will she settle, will she dump her certificate and start to seek for a man as the recent demonstration of most ladies have shown?

And why will someone especially a random guy despite seeing all that is happening in the country choose to underestimate early skill acquisition and business learning and choose to spend his adulthood gaining more facts just to come out hustling like a drop out?

Personally, I disagree with the belief that ONLY higher education is a guarantee for success in terms of money making especially in a country like Nigeria where there are scarcity of jobs for most courses being taught in schools.

Higher education though is good, useful and efficacious, isn't an assurance for financial stability and time is crucial for everyone especially the ambitious and smart people who value it and won't choose to venture into anything they deem unproductive or likely to have less chances of success.

Better to use the early years to learn a lucrative skill or business and put it into use before the late ages than to spend a long period of time in the classroom only to come out to start hustling like a drop out.

My opinion isn't for everyone though as some people still make it through formal education but I'm just being realistic.

Out of every 200 graduates, about 20 only end up with better paying jobs, mostly based on connections. We see it in our hood everyday. Quite a issue to consider by someone who intends to start life and turn out successfully in due time.

I believe that formal education like every other form of education is just a plus to our knowledge while self education and discovery is what guarantees how far we will go in terms of money making.

Those who made fortunes today did so out of self discovery and not necessarily formal education.

Let us discover what suits us best so as not to burn our fingers later on.

I mean what do you think?

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 1:53pm On Apr 10, 2021
Lalasticlala
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by chuksville(m): 2:02pm On Apr 10, 2021
Once you are skillful with a particular lucrative craft, you are your own boss- education or not.

Unless village people don use your brain go shrine, then you will become useless including your million dollar skills.

3 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Athemisia: 2:14pm On Apr 10, 2021
Fools will never listen even though....

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 2:22pm On Apr 10, 2021
chuksville:
Once you are skillful with a particular lucrative craft, you are your own boss- education or not.

Unless village people don use your brain go shrine, then you will become useless including your million dollar skills.

I have made reasonable money from my electrical works copious enough to erect a self contain at age 21. I have also bought 3 keke and gotten two people who rent it everyday to bring back home an amount of #1, 500 daily each along with my freelancing and online businesses.

Some people just don't take time to think things through.

76 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by chatinent: 3:00pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

I have made reasonable money from my electrical works copious enough to erect a self contain at age 21. I have also bought 3 keke and gotten two people who rent it everyday to bring back home an amount of #1, 500 daily each along with my freelancing and online businesses.

You make a whole lot of sense.

I'd love to learn from you if you don't mind.

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by posty56: 3:14pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

how sure are you that they going to bring your keke back cause i one enter transportation business
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 3:22pm On Apr 10, 2021
posty56:
how sure are you that they going to bring your keke back cause i one enter transportation business

They signed an agreement in the presence of a lawyer and a guarantor attached with their phone numbers, home addresses, passports and bvn

26 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by xxxXXXxxx: 3:25pm On Apr 10, 2021
A very reasonable opinion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by posty56: 3:28pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

They signed an agreement in the presence of a lawyer and a guarantor attached with their phone numbers, home addresses, passports and bvn
omo i like your way, thanks

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 3:30pm On Apr 10, 2021
posty56:
omo i like your way, thanks
You're welcome cool

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by posty56: 3:33pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

You're welcome cool
one last thing how did you pay the lawyer?
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Komu1048(m): 3:36pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:
Though we have some exceptions, formal education isn't always a guarantee for success especially in a country like Nigeria in this fast changing world.

Apparently, a large number of people especially in Nigeria believe that all the problems of life is only solved in the classroom which is an extremely poor way of reasoning as we have a lot of graduates who spent quality years of their lives at school with nothing solid to show for it except for knowledge of facts and figures and maybe by grace, a mediocre job.

Most graduates with good degrees are painfully left without jobs and some who managed to find one end up with low paying jobs given the circumstances, some even get employed by people who never attained the level of education they have.

Another obvious thing is that when most students graduate, they graduate at ages society deem old enough to settle and be financially independent such as ages between 27 - 35 - ages that seem like a bad and delayed start for life establishment especially as a man.

I mean if a guy graduates at such age,

At when will he get a job?
When then will he be financially stable?
When will he have enough to build a home?
When will he have enough to cater for a family?
Won't it most likely translate to poverty if he closes his eyes and starts a family?

And if a lady graduates at such age?

At when will she be financially independent if it is her desire?
When will she settle, will she dump her certificate and start to seek for a man as the recent demonstration of most ladies have shown?

And why will someone especially a random guy despite seeing all that is happening in the country choose to underestimate early skill acquisition and business learning and choose to spend his adulthood gaining more facts just to come out hustling like a drop out?

Personally, I disagree with the belief that ONLY higher education is a guarantee for success in terms of money making especially in a country like Nigeria where there are scarcity of jobs for most courses being taught in schools.

Higher education though is good, useful and efficacious, isn't an assurance for financial stability and time is crucial for everyone especially the ambitious and smart people who value it and won't choose to venture into anything they deem unproductive or likely to have less chance of success.

Better to use the early years to learn a lucrative skill or business and put it into use before the late ages than to spend a long period of time in the classroom only to come out to start hustling like a drop out.

My opinion isn't for everyone though as some people still make it through formal education but I'm just being realistic.

Out of every 200 graduates, about 20 only end up with better paying jobs, mostly based on connections. We see it in our hood everyday. Quite a issue to consider by someone who intends to start life and turn out successfully in due time.

I believe that formal education like every other form of education is just a plus to our knowledge while self education and discovery is what guarantees how far we will go in terms of money making.

Those who made fortunes today did so out of self discovery and not necessarily formal education.

Let us discover what suits us best so as not to burn our fingers later on.

I mean what do you think?

Many youths now have sense, they learn different skills right from their secondary days, and some r into business big time, some even hustle through yahoo(though dis is bad but atleast they r doing well)

During my time and my parent are so obsessed with school. I spent about 5-6 yrs to seek admission n with naija factors I wasted another 6years in university. I finished @30 served and when I apply for jobs they say I’m too old. Even 50k job dem dey use me do yanga. But the good thing about life is there are numerous opportunities to make it in life. Be open to ideas and ready to learn, unlearn and relearn. God is faithful sha, once u r not giving up

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Cutehector(m): 3:42pm On Apr 10, 2021
Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 4:26pm On Apr 10, 2021
Komu1048:

Many youths now have sense, they learn different skills right from their secondary days, and some r into business big time, some even hustle through yahoo(though dis is bad but atleast they r doing well)

During my time and my parent are so obsessed with school. I spent about 5-6 yrs to seek admission n with naija factors I wasted another 6years in university. I finished @30 served and when I apply for jobs they say I’m too old. Even 50k job dem dey use me do yanga. But the good thing about life is there are numerous opportunities to make it in life. Be open to ideas and ready to learn, unlearn and relearn. God is faithful sha, once u r not giving up

God bless you for sharing your experience sir.

Time is very crucial and thankfully some youths have smartened up. Unlike those days, how many people nowadays really have time to spend 4, 5, or even 8 years to study a course or even a skill when the chances of getting a reasonable income from it are evidently slim. Time itself is very important and should be used wisely as the people of the world say.

Until people's minds are healed and cleared of the mentality that only high formal education guarantees success, there will be a transformation financially in most lives. As soon as we get rid of that delusion, we might find the wealth and happiness that have always eluded us.

Mods please help push for more views

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Kinmpy: 5:04pm On Apr 10, 2021
Okay

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Nobody: 5:04pm On Apr 10, 2021
Only the dead have no hope. Educated or not, there's hope for the hopeful. Just don't be comfortable with idleness or sleeping all day

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by anochuko01(m): 5:05pm On Apr 10, 2021
Bbv
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 10, 2021
Following.....
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 10, 2021
Start your business failures and risks as early as possible while you are still young and can pick yourself up severally for the perfect one..

21 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by gwizze: 5:05pm On Apr 10, 2021
OP your story plenty
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by eveninnewspaper: 5:06pm On Apr 10, 2021
Education is no scam like most are made to believe, but it isn't also the only means to making it in life. In fact, it can be acquired anywhere outside the four walls of a school.

However, in all thy getting, get street sense. E get why.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by GodWrites: 5:06pm On Apr 10, 2021
Though Nigeria has made education look like a scam, it isn't. Without higher education, there will be no doctors, no lawyers, no skillful teachers, engineers, architects, etc.

When you know what you want in life, pursue it. School wasn't created to give you a job, but rather to equip you with knowledge.

What you do with what you've learned is entirely up to you. You can package your knowledge in a CV, and hunt for jobs for the rest of your life.

Or, you can solve a problem in your community, which inadvertently makes a hot cake. Even companies will be sending you proposals, not the other way round.

You don't need to carry files jumping from one company to another. Don't tell me you spent more than four years in Uni, and you can't even practice your course no matter how little.

When you can implement your knowledge you become a highly sought professional.

Unfortunately, the so-called graduates can't even define their course of study, talk of implementation.

How do you expect them to be gainfully employed, or to create using their tertiary education?

If you believe you're smart enough as a graduate, and you've seen there are no viable jobs, you can sit in your bedroom, and make out something for yourself.

We're now in the era of technology, you have no excuse. Nigeria is not conducive, yes, but many have made it without connection or godfather.

At this age, you just have to think outside the box, cause you know, there is competition. You have to stand out, to offer what others can't. Only few are lucky, like Bubu.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:06pm On Apr 10, 2021
Times have changed from the past most def.

What matters more is having the skills to do the job, not a certificate that shows you've spent 4 years studying a topic.
A bachelor’s degree can still be a good investment, but it is possible to succeed in life without going to University for several years. 

Getting a University degree has become a goal in the chase to achieve happiness.
The only problem with the ‘college = success' equation is that an academic education is not the answer for everyone.
Hundreds of students reading the same book and being taught the same information by a lecturer who probably never worked in the industry.
That is the average scenario in a university.

A classroom full of students who are guided to regurgitate information back to the professor.

In the university, you will get to meet people with different opinions and lifestyles who will challenge your thinking in new ways.
But it is not necessary to attend college to find yourself in such an environment.
You're likely to meet people in your neighborhood who can expose you to new ideas and ways of thinking.

The problem is that people attend higher institutions with the mentality that they are going to find a dream job and make a lot of money once they graduate.
People need to understand that just because someone attends college that does not guarantee anything for them, except being in debt for a long time.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:07pm On Apr 10, 2021
gwizze:
OP your story plenty
Don't be a lazy youth ooo.
Learn how to read.
Especially on very important information like this.
It will help you in life.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by blowjob: 5:08pm On Apr 10, 2021
WHICH EDUCATION,BUBU TYPE OF EDUCATION grin

DEAD EDUCATION
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Matheusmartin: 5:09pm On Apr 10, 2021
I doubt if there is anyone out there that still thinks high school qualification quarantee success..

However, the importance of education is what you see in the difference between Northern and southern nigeria..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by ivandragon: 5:09pm On Apr 10, 2021
The first thing is defining exactly what education is & all about...

3 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by RuddyFusion(m): 5:10pm On Apr 10, 2021
And who actually believed such? I don't think that people do....wealth comes from variety of sources...

But different keys opens different doors and both formal and informal education are one of the keys

So you need one either formal or informal education to open the doors of life....

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Duplexxx: 5:10pm On Apr 10, 2021
Na zigzag

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB Advises Affected Candidates To Print New Notification Slips / French And Nigeria / OAU To Generate Own Electricity And Offer Aeronautic Engineering As A Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.