Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,599 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. (15322 Views)

How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths / Why Your High JAMB Score Is No Guarantee For Admission / JAMB: UTME Score No Guarantee For Admission Into University, Polytechnic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by iampeterben(m): 5:10pm On Apr 10, 2021
You made some valid points Mr. OP but I don't agree with your opinion, I will rephrase mine to be early completion of education guarantees success.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 10, 2021
OP, You made good valid points.

I don't want to start blaming or complaining cuz I hate both. But let's face facts, the Nigeria Government (system) failed most people. There's no more honour and value in education in Nigeria .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Miarose: 5:12pm On Apr 10, 2021
Financial outcome is not and should not be the focus of formal education.
Structured education brings about a well rounded populace which propels the development of the society.
The more educated the society is, the farther away poverty will be.
Check the statistics.....poverty is endemic in the countries with low levels of education.
While you think of trading and business to make money, everything you trade on is someone's brain child. people are innovating and inventing, the western world pour billions of dollars into research and product development.
Education aids innovation and provides solution the world's problems.
Everything must not be measure in naira and kobo.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by bash8936: 5:13pm On Apr 10, 2021
Well this is ur opinion thou. It is sufficient but not adequate...Let’s keep getting educated it will be worthwhile later..Being educated is not for riches or success that’s the only factor you didn’t learn which is impacting ur reasoning.

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by bukatyne(f): 5:14pm On Apr 10, 2021
Impactful Higher Education is still the way most people would climb out of poverty.

They might not be 'rich', they would however get by and have chances to grow.
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 10, 2021

2 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Apr 10, 2021
I think Education is not a must but it’s an asset especially in today’s business now education has many forms street education , tertiary and so on. A combination of all these ensures success. It’s not overnight either. One step at a time.

Education teaches you not to envy your fellow man but to apply yourself to whatever you love to do. Doubt me ? make una check well well

3 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by PigTormentor: 5:19pm On Apr 10, 2021
One of the biggest reasons why the country is messed up is the foolish thinking that just because you went to a university thr govt is supposed to provide a job for you.
I meet so many that will be saying "I'm a graduate ". So, that mean jack.
What's important is what can you do now for any company or investor that will bring value and ROI into the company. Your degree mean very little if that's all you've got.

Graduating or attending a university is not like in the 50s, 60s, and 70s when it was only the few, lucky and intelligent that had the opportunity. Now even a dumb ass can work their way through a university without knowing Jack.
In the US, your degree is secondary, what's most important is what experience and value can you add to the company on your first day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Lexusgs430: 5:28pm On Apr 10, 2021
Bill Gates and Richard Branson nko...... What's their educational history?

Yet, they employ the best graduates.........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 5:32pm On Apr 10, 2021
posty56:
one last thing how did you pay the lawyer?

Yes about #8000
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 5:33pm On Apr 10, 2021
abdulwahhab001, Blaccsam101 pls I don't do PMs. Please just quote me here, thanks
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by MikkySexy23(m): 5:38pm On Apr 10, 2021
I would always say that making categorical statement like this is foolhardy. Why? I believe that your circumstance would determine a lot about you in life.
There are lots of folks using education to get to desired heights because they are surrounded by people that can actually help them rise. Same goes to people with skills etc.
You are as good as the people you have around you. All sons of footballers play football, likewise there are lots of other examples!!
Money can be made in every way!

4 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by IamHonourable1: 5:40pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

I have made reasonable money from my electrical works copious enough to erect a self contain at age 21. I have also bought 3 keke and gotten two people who rent it everyday to bring back home an amount of #1, 500 daily each along with my freelancing and online businesses.

Some people just don't take time to think things through.

Daily returns for keke is 3k,except it's not the yellow keke I know.
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by redsun(m): 5:42pm On Apr 10, 2021
Education only makes sense if it's not a brainwashed one as they do Africa. African education primarily ends at the level of understating oyinbo words, definitions, and concepts. It lacks common sense, clarity, initiatives and synthesis, that is why the continent is still in the dark age.

It's embarrassing, and it urgently needs to change.

4 Likes

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by franchasng: 5:42pm On Apr 10, 2021
What I have discovered in this life, no matter what you do or how many decades you spend acquiring degrees upon degrees, your destiny alone will decide how far you will go in life, which brings us to the summary; que sera sera, whatever will be, will be cool

So in any situation you find yourself in, do your best and leave the rest to God who has your destiny to decide, sadly that's the reality of life

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by IamHonourable1: 5:42pm On Apr 10, 2021
posty56:
how sure are you that they going to bring your keke back cause i one enter transportation business

Please don't go into the business if you're convinced they won't bring your keke back.Stay at the level you have always been.
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by jamiudinho(m): 5:44pm On Apr 10, 2021
posty56:
how sure are you that they going to bring your keke back cause i one enter transportation business
if u are in Lagos find a hausa guy to run it for u cos they hardly disappoint but our southern guys most of Dem are thief

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by IAMPEDRO: 5:50pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:
Though we have some exceptions, formal education isn't always a guarantee for success especially in a country like Nigeria in this fast changing world.

Apparently, a large number of people especially in Nigeria believe that all the problems of life is only solved in the classroom which is an extremely poor way of reasoning as we have a lot of graduates who spent quality years of their lives at school with nothing solid to show for it except for knowledge of facts and figures and maybe by grace, a mediocre job.

Most graduates with good degrees are painfully left without jobs and some who managed to find one end up with low paying jobs given the circumstances, some even get employed by people who never attained the level of education they have.

Another obvious thing is that when most students graduate, they graduate at ages society deem old enough to settle and be financially independent such as ages between 27 - 35 - ages that seem like a bad and delayed start for life establishment especially as a man.

I mean if a guy graduates at such age,

At when will he get a job?
When then will he be financially stable?
When will he have enough to build a home?
When will he have enough to cater for a family?
Won't it most likely translate to perpetual poverty if he closes his eyes and starts a family?

And if a lady graduates at such age?

At when will she be financially independent if it is her desire?
When will she settle, will she dump her certificate and start to seek for a man as the recent demonstration of most ladies have shown?

And why will someone especially a random guy despite seeing all that is happening in the country choose to underestimate early skill acquisition and business learning and choose to spend his adulthood gaining more facts just to come out hustling like a drop out?

Personally, I disagree with the belief that ONLY higher education is a guarantee for success in terms of money making especially in a country like Nigeria where there are scarcity of jobs for most courses being taught in schools.

Higher education though is good, useful and efficacious, isn't an assurance for financial stability and time is crucial for everyone especially the ambitious and smart people who value it and won't choose to venture into anything they deem unproductive or likely to have less chances of success.

Better to use the early years to learn a lucrative skill or business and put it into use before the late ages than to spend a long period of time in the classroom only to come out to start hustling like a drop out.

My opinion isn't for everyone though as some people still make it through formal education but I'm just being realistic.

Out of every 200 graduates, about 20 only end up with better paying jobs, mostly based on connections. We see it in our hood everyday. Quite a issue to consider by someone who intends to start life and turn out successfully in due time.

I believe that formal education like every other form of education is just a plus to our knowledge while self education and discovery is what guarantees how far we will go in terms of money making.

Those who made fortunes today did so out of self discovery and not necessarily formal education.

Let us discover what suits us best so as not to burn our fingers later on.

I mean what do you think?

People will type all sorts of motivation here, if you go close to them you can't do what they do.
I have said it before, the Nigeria system SCHOOL won't tell how to make money but how to read historical facts.
As a Nigeria student pls learn something. Being financially stable is a step ahead.
God bless you for this good observation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Akanaz(m): 5:51pm On Apr 10, 2021
You've made a very good point with your write up. So there's little or nothing more to say but I'd love to make some contribution.

Funny how some people think formal education is overrated in Nigeria. But I can boldly tell you its not. For individual growth in Nigeria, both formal and informal education is important. However, how far we can go with either of the two depends on our financial strength. So if you can afford both simultaneously, I would suggest you go for both.

We all know the how competitive getting a high paying job is in Nigeria. So why wouldn't you seek for alternative? Or as a business management graduate whose father doesn't a own a company, you think someone is just gonna make you the general manager of their company? No way! Why don't you start as the CEO of your own company?

Formal education is like an eye opener. With the help of formal education, you can easily pick up valuable information about skills acquired from your informal education. For instance, as a fashion designer, you can get yourself books from other countries and consume it and add the information to your preexisting pool of knowledge. And trust me, its gonna help you business wise.

I think the best way to make it in Nigeria is to be the ruler of both worlds as neither of the two is superior in comparison to the other.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by jaxxy(m): 5:51pm On Apr 10, 2021
Success comes from intelligence and intelligence comes from exposure and a few other variables.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by posty56: 5:52pm On Apr 10, 2021
jamiudinho:

if u are in Lagos find a hausa guy to run it for u cos they hardly disappoint but our southern guys most of Dem are thief
i am in port Harcourt, i always find nothern people trustworthy sha thanks
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by posty56: 5:52pm On Apr 10, 2021
IamHonourable1:

Please don't go into the business if you're convinced they won't bring your keke back.Stay at the level you have always been.
thanks
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by posty56: 5:53pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

Yes about #8000
wow e cheap thank you

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by realray(m): 5:55pm On Apr 10, 2021
well I for one don't think education is bad but just that they failed to teach us financial education and also tend to neglect technical schools or college which I think is also very important that's why we refuse to grow as a country aside from bad leaders check all the billionaires we have in the world today 80% of them were school drop out or less educated, so I agree.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Jerewise332(m): 6:01pm On Apr 10, 2021
Mikester:

I have made reasonable money from my electrical works copious enough to erect a self contain at age 21. I have also bought 3 keke and gotten two people who rent it everyday to bring back home an amount of #1, 500 daily each along with my freelancing and online businesses.

Some people just don't take time to think things through.

You're good bro
Can I learn from u?
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Mikester: 6:01pm On Apr 10, 2021
posty56:
wow e cheap thank you
He is a church member

1 Like

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by NikAustine: 6:09pm On Apr 10, 2021
Op it in Nigeria education doesn't guaranteed success.. in advance countries.. When you're educated success is guaranteed or at least you will live a modest average life but here in Nigeria if you're educated self and you no get Grace.. you can't live that kind of average life.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by Skillsnigeria: 6:10pm On Apr 10, 2021
It is well
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by grandlexuz(m): 6:16pm On Apr 10, 2021
post=100672816:
Times have changed.

What matters more is having the skills to do the job, not a certificate that shows you've spent 4 years studying a topic.
A bachelor’s degree can still be a good investment, but it is possible to succeed in life without going to University for several years. 

Getting a University degree has become a goal in the chase to achieve happiness.
The only problem with the ‘college = success' equation is that an academic education is not the answer for everyone.
Hundreds of students reading the same book and being taught the same information by a lecturer who probably never worked in the industry.
That is the average scenario in a university.

A classroom full of students who are guided to regurgitate information back to the professor.

At college, you will get to meet people with different opinions and lifestyles who will challenge your thinking in new ways. But it is not necessary to attend college to find yourself in such an environment.  You're likely to meet people in your neighborhood who can expose you to new ideas and ways of thinking.

The problem is that people attend college with the mentality that they are going to find a dream job and make a lot of money once they graduate.
People need to understand that just because someone attends college that does not guarantee anything for them, except being in debt for a long time.

Did you type this or it was a copied piece.?
Re: The Misconception That Only High Level Education Is A Guarantee For Success. by pinknipple: 6:18pm On Apr 10, 2021
In Nigeria,There is no education whatsoever anywhere.

Schooling does not always lead to learning. Worldwide, there are more non-learners in school than out of school.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Delsu 2012/2013 Admission List Is Out (check Yours Online Here) / Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah / Unical 2015/2016 Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.